Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,030 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection (42263 Views)

US Approves First Gene Therapies To Treat Sickle Cell Patients / How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? / Am I At Risk Of HIV Infection After Sex In Imo Hotel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 30, 2018
deepwater:
lol

on this same forum, supposed educated and enlightened Nigerians are having thoughts and discussions if muslim women should be allowed to work or not... https://www.nairaland.com/4874560/women-workplace-islam-says

See ehn, one day we gonna wake up to realize that the west and asia guys built their own spaceship to relocate their people to another planet void of the black skin!

We would be left on this earth to live that barbaric life wey dey hungry us since, we would eat one another alive and there would be no white man to intervene or broker peace.

The white guys would have a satellite station showing them real REALITY TV shows in their new planet - the content of the reality show would be about how the 3rd world countries behave and fight. There would be no referee to separate us.

make una continue.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

come on shut up
Guy chill I can understand ur anger but anybody that's still arguing if women should work or not is an illiterate, going through the University for 5yrs doesn't make one educated.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Iyawo22(f): 2:29pm On Nov 30, 2018
enemyofprogress:
I have been worried since I heard they are using virgins for rituals. Oh Lord, pls protect me
You know yourself are you even a virgin?
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by fabienjoe: 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2018
deepwater:
lol

on this same forum, supposed educated and enlightened Nigerians are having thoughts and discussions if muslim women should be allowed to work or not... https://www.nairaland.com/4874560/women-workplace-islam-says

See ehn, one day we gonna wake up to realize that the west and asia guys built their own spaceship to relocate their people to another planet void of the black skin!

We would be left on this earth to live that barbaric life wey dey hungry us since, we would eat one another alive and there would be no white man to intervene or broker peace.

The white guys would have a satellite station showing them real REALITY TV shows in their new planet - the content of the reality show would be about how the 3rd world countries behave and fight. There would be no referee to separate us.

make una continue.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

come on shut up

Thanks deepwater. I love that piece. Trouble is, Nigerians don't understand how bad things are here. What serious country would box itself to a corner where it has to choose between an illiterate, incompetent bigot and and a thoroughly corrupt, barely literate wheeler-dealer as a pesident in this day and age? More galling is the fact that Nigerians in their numbers are fiercely linning up behind these men that obviously are part of, rather than the solution to, their problems..what is more, the reasons never go beyond ethnicity and religion...I despair..
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by NothingDoMe: 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2018
HenryDion:

Do you know how many people that had to die before most of the drugs you take are perfected? Human experimentation is always ongoing. The truth is, it's horrible and such are usually not made public. Classified!
hmmm
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by enemyofprogress: 3:10pm On Nov 30, 2018
Iyawo22:

You know yourself are you even a virgin?
Due to the current financial situation caused by the slowdown in the economy, the Government has decided to implement a scheme to put workers of 50 years of age and above on early, mandatory retirement, thus creating jobs and reducing unemployment.

This scheme will be known as RAPE (Retire Aged People Early).

Persons selected to be RAPED can apply to the Government to be considered for the SHAFT program (Special Help After Forced Termination).

Persons who have been RAPED and SHAFTED will be reviewed under the SCREW program (System Covering Retired-Early Workers).

A person may be RAPED once, SHAFTED twice and SCREWED as many times as the Government deems appropriate.

Persons who have been RAPED could get AIDS (Additional Income for Dependents & Spouse) or HERPES (Half Earnings for Retired Personnel Early Severance).

Obviously persons who have AIDS or HERPES will not be SHAFTED or SCREWED any further by the Government.

Persons who are not RAPED and are staying on will receive as much SHIT (Special High Intensity Training) as possible. The Government has always prided its self on the amount of SHIT it gives our citizens.

Should you feel that you do not receive enough SHIT, please bring this to the attention of your Representative at either the Senate or house of rep who has been trained to give you all the SHIT you can handle.

Sincerely,

The E.V.I.L. (Economic Value of Individual Lives) Committee
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by lastmaster(m): 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2018
What about bubu, I taught ipod said bubu gene has been edited, proof read and laminated

Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by hustla(m): 3:34pm On Nov 30, 2018
gaby:

In all you put together up there, I earnestly hope and pray you are not one of those who usually calls for the heads of the innocent LGBTs on here. If yes, then you should make a good candidate for "Ambassador of Hypocrisy".

There's absolutely no correlation and you have made no sense

They're making advancements in Medicine, you're taking about LGBT. If gay people were to Dominate this earth, how will there be procreation? Why do they even have to adopt if it was natural?

Abi u sef dey tear yansh make u talk true grin
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Anstone: 3:41pm On Nov 30, 2018
hustla:

Na that over Sabi Bring about the phone wey take type and the Internet wey u use upload am

No be them say make ur country dey try produce pencil for 2018

Invention and innovation is man's, life source is God's... Humans can barely maintain the epidemic of a body to look perfectly glowing with no side effect on the long run. If this is true, what do you think will happen to the baby altered genetics which appears to be more sophisticated than all super computer/phone combine?
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by gaby(m): 4:10pm On Nov 30, 2018
hustla:

There's absolutely no correlation and you have made no sense

They're making advancements in Medicine, you're taking about LGBT. If gay people were to Dominate this earth, how will there be procreation? Why do they even have to adopt if it was natural?

Abi u sef dey tear yansh make u talk true grin

Those you claim are not procreators and as such should be condemned to the gallows just because your understanding and acceptance of this "great" invention by the Chinese is yet to advance to the level of accepting the LGBTs, might just be the inventors of the gadget with which you just made this post and the designer shirt on your neck. I just hope you'd be able to understand where I'm driving at.

And also, if this latest invention which you so much laud is to make any sense to you, where does that live your procreation theory when one can easily stroll into a lab and order for a child to be printed or photocopied.

Hope you get my drift brother.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by stanliwise(m): 4:25pm On Nov 30, 2018
6digitscomrade:
mop ur brain first...Overhaul ur sinuses also...Exactly why the guy was weeping for the country...People just read but no time to analyze...All thanks to the looters who destroyed the educational systems...

He weeps because u lots can't invent or appreciate to emulate good things...If u are given cash now, u will only want to open a beer parlor,music studio to form entertainer and live lavish fake lives...Nothing productive to impact now and future generations...

Even the democracy u practice has been bastardized..Smh
you use the "u". Please what country are you from??
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by AdedoyinO(f): 4:48pm On Nov 30, 2018
HenryDion:

The human body is a flaw, filled with numerous defects. If the body is perfect, cancer, HIV and other anomalies won't be able to survive.

As for the genetically engineered babies. Defects are bound to occur, it is from these series of failures that such a practice can be perfected.

It's like failing and failing again until you get it right.

Against what standard is the human body a flaw? And where is the 'prefect' prototype to show that as it now, the human body is filled with numerous defects?
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by InansBobo(m): 4:54pm On Nov 30, 2018
HigherEd:
That research was unethical and unsanctioned. The researcher should br jailed and fired from the University. You don't mess with the human genetic permutations anyhow you like. You can cause unintended problems of massive proportions.
you're just knowledgeable in all fields of human endeavor. I love this and wish to be so

1 Like

Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Sagay212: 5:08pm On Nov 30, 2018
lastempero:
Why can't they find the cure to HIV itself or is it because its prevalent in africa angry

How do you expect them to make money if they find cure to HIV? They will only provide treatment and make billions.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Farouksenior: 5:49pm On Nov 30, 2018
Sagay212:

How do you expect them to make money if they find cure to HIV? They will only provide treatment and make billions.

Nice but

With the coming of germline editing....

The world as we know it will no longer be the same.

Imagine using A.i to edit the perfect dna.

No cancer
No hiv
Sharper brains
Age slowly
Infact....

Humans version 2.0

Well as a domainer and fast naija boi
i was not sleeping
So i registered ....
wink wink
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Abagworo(m): 8:10pm On Nov 30, 2018
He should be arrested
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by AFONJACOW(m): 8:30pm On Nov 30, 2018
West condemned it because it wasn't from them , China and Russia keep showing them they are better off without them, � please can someone explain to us who edited Sai Barbar brain and put him inside Jubrin of Sudan
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by aadoiza: 9:02pm On Nov 30, 2018
Finally, X-MEN don dey arrive small small.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Greyworld: 9:14pm On Nov 30, 2018
gaby:
I hope they will also laminate them to prevent mosquitoes from biting them.

The world as we know it, is fast headed for chaos. All thanks to man's "over-sabi".
The world as we all know it, has come to an End.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Lotechi(m): 9:16pm On Nov 30, 2018
gaby:
I hope they will also laminate them to prevent mosquitoes from biting them.

The world as we know it, is fast headed for chaos. All thanks to man's "over-sabi".
we had more chaos in the beginning than we have now. All thanks to man's over-sabi.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Lotechi(m): 9:21pm On Nov 30, 2018
While we are still struggling to tar 40% of our roads, struggling to properly dispose our waste, struggling to build schools, some countries are thinking of how to make designer babies. Who do us for this country?
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Lotechi(m): 9:25pm On Nov 30, 2018
favourablegal:
this is an incredible scientific milestone. i hope its real though
was all over cnn and BBC yesterday
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Lotechi(m): 9:26pm On Nov 30, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Photoshop babies
its actually called designer babies
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Lotechi(m): 9:28pm On Nov 30, 2018
mrgreen4real:
Good one. but...

I pray some of the babies that would be born thru this method would not be contracted with the virus when grown up because that will be extremely painful to the parents after making effort to save them from HIV

May God lead us not into HIV patients
they will become HIV proof.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Guide777(m): 9:31pm On Nov 30, 2018
Biological Editing! Future field of study.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by sunbreaker: 10:10pm On Nov 30, 2018
enemyofprogress:
I have been worried since I heard they are using virgins for rituals. Oh Lord, pls protect me
are u a virgin?
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 30, 2018
AdedoyinO:

Against what standard is the human body a flaw? And where is the 'prefect' prototype to show that as it now, the human body is filled with numerous defects?

The human body is very sophisticated and advance, that however doesn't mean it is flawless. For the fact that some illness can infect the body and consequently lead to its shutdown is proof that the human body is weak and not too smart.

If HIV can invade the body, rewrite the DNA to RNA, replicating itself and gradually deteriorate the immune system without a fight back from the body shows of its defect.

There have been speculations, that dying is not a natural phenomenal. It is actually a defect in our DNA. Well, it's just an assumption.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Sharwnbu(m): 10:36pm On Nov 30, 2018
Dottore:
A scientist in China claims to have created the world’s first genetically edited babies, in a potentially ground-breaking and controversial medical first.

If true, it would be a profound leap of science and ethics. This kind of gene editing is banned in most countries as the technology is still experimental and DNA changes can pass to future generations, potentially with unforeseen side-effects.

Many mainstream scientists think it is too unsafe to try, and some denounced the Chinese report as human experimentation
The researcher, He Jiankui of Southern University of Science and Technology in Shenzhen, said he altered embryos for seven couples during fertility treatments, with one pregnancy resulting so far. He said his goal was not to cure or prevent an inherited disease, but to try to bestow a trait that few people naturally have: an ability to resist possible future infection with HIV.

He revealed it on Monday in Hong Kong to one of the organisers of an international conference on gene editing that is due to begin on Tuesday, and earlier in interviews with the Associated Press.

“I feel a strong responsibility that it’s not just to make a first, but also make it an example,” He said. “Society will decide what to do next” in terms of allowing or forbidding such science.

Some scientists were astounded to hear of the claim and strongly condemned it. It was “unconscionable … an experiment on human beings that is not morally or ethically defensible,” said Dr Kiran Musunuru, a University of Pennsylvania gene-editing expert.

“If true, this experiment is monstrous,” said Julian Savulescu, a professor of practical ethics at the University of Oxford. “The embryos were healthy. No known diseases. Gene editing itself is experimental and is still associated with off-target mutations, capable of causing genetic problems early and later in life, including the development of cancer.”

In recent years, scientists have discovered a relatively easy way to edit genes, the strands of DNA that govern the body. The tool, called Crispr-Cas9, makes it possible to operate on DNA to supply a needed gene or disable one that is causing problems.

It has only recently been tried in adults to treat deadly diseases, and the changes are confined to that person. If sperm, eggs or embryos were to be edited, the changes could then be inherited.

He Jiankui studied at Rice and Stanford universities in the US before returning to his homeland to open a lab at Southern University of Science and Technology of China in Shenzhen, where he also has two genetics companies.

He said he practised editing mice, monkey and human embryos in the lab for several years and has applied for patents on his methods. He said he chose embryo gene editing for HIV because these infections are a major problem in China. He sought to disable a gene called CCR5 that forms a protein doorway that allows HIV, the virus that causes Aids, to enter a cell.

All of the men in the project had HIV and all of the women did not, but the gene editing was not aimed at preventing the small risk of transmission, he said. The fathers had their infections deeply suppressed by standard HIV medicines and there are simple ways to keep them from infecting offspring that do not involve altering genes. Instead, the appeal was to offer couples affected by HIV a chance to have a child that might be protected from a similar fate.

He said the gene editing occurred during in vitro fertilisation. First, sperm was “washed” to separate it from semen, in which HIV can lurk. A single sperm was placed into a single egg to create an embryo. Then the gene-editing tool was added. When the embryos were three to five days old, a few cells were removed and checked for editing. Couples could choose whether to use edited or unedited embryos for pregnancy attempts. In all, 16 of 22 embryos were edited, and 11 embryos were used in six implant attempts before the twin pregnancy was achieved, He said.

There also are questions about the way He said he proceeded. He gave official notice of his work long after he said he started it, on 8 November. It is also unclear whether participants fully understood the purpose and potential risks and benefits; for example, consent forms called the project an Aids vaccine development programme.

He said he personally made the goals clear and told participants that embryo gene editing had never been tried before and carried risks. He said he also would provide insurance coverage for any children conceived through the project and plans medical follow-up until the children are 18, and longer if they agree once they are adults.

“I believe this is going to help the families and their children,” He said. If it caused unwanted side-effects or harm, “I would feel the same pain as they do and it’s going to be my own responsibility”.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2018/nov/26/worlds-first-gene-edited-babies-created-in-china-claims-scientist

Oyinbo

Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by Oritsewhandey(m): 10:57pm On Nov 30, 2018
deepwater:
lol

make una continue.

come on shut up
Wow! Your psychosis has entered DEPARTMENTAL MALL level.
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by AdedoyinO(f): 12:16am On Dec 01, 2018
HenryDion:

The human body is very sophisticated and advance, that however doesn't mean it is flawless. For the fact that some illness can infect the body and consequently lead to its shutdown is proof that the human body is weak and not too smart.

If HIV can invade the body, rewrite the DNA to RNA, replicating itself and gradually deteriorate the immune system without a fight back from the body shows of its defect.

There have been speculations, that dying is not a natural phenomenal. It is actually a defect in our DNA. Well, it's just an assumption.

Hmmm, you didn't answer the question.

I hope you know that illness, disease and death are true for every living organism and system; including plants? Even bacteria have viruses and other bacteria that attack and lyse them.

So on this premise, and accordding to your logic, it should be correct to say every living system is flawed... But against which standard?
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by 6digitscomrade: 8:09am On Dec 01, 2018
stanliwise:
you use the "u". Please what country are you from??
I'm nigerian...But sadly i was saved from birth...All thanks to my dad whose gene in me saved me...I can never share the zombiefied trait of constant criticism of good innovation without working to get things right..

Besides bro...Asking why i use u lots..Is self explanatory if u aren't amongst the lots...Except the country is working for u the way it is and u see hope in sight...Before u tag me something else 75% of my family were born abroad and i have left there over 15years perhaps that's why i want it to be good...Unlike the lots that have internalized poverty,oppression,intimidation,corruption,religious entrepreneurship,bigotry,nepotism,tribalism,substandard infrastructures if there's any...

Please bro...Don't hate the messenger just follow the message...

Happy new month..
Re: World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection by stanliwise(m): 8:38am On Dec 01, 2018
6digitscomrade:
I'm nigerian...But sadly i was saved from birth...All thanks to my dad whose gene in me saved me...I can never share the zombiefied trait of constant criticism of good innovation without working to get things right..

Besides bro...Asking why i use u lots..Is self explanatory if u aren't amongst the lots...Except the country is working for u the way it is and u see hope in sight...Before u tag me something else 75% of my family were born abroad and i have left there over 15years perhaps that's why i want it to be good...Unlike the lots that have internalized poverty,oppression,intimidation,corruption,religious entrepreneurship,bigotry,nepotism,tribalism,substandard infrastructures if there's any...

Please bro...Don't hate the messenger just follow the message...

Happy new month..
Happy New month too. One problem of Nigeria is rooted more on how a typical Nigeria tend to to think. A typical Nigeria has many things to appeal to (religon, tribe, sentiment, emotions) before he finally do the analytic reasoning. There are many problem I guess but I see the major problem is inability to secure its public fund in the hand of the wicked or "cleptomanic" politicians. This again is the problem of the citizens. If we practice democracy it means power are in the hand of the common populace unless it is not a true democracy. So there is no need to weep for Nigeria. We are all responsible somehow. If you're one of the good ones remember.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it". Albert Einstein

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Natural Remedies You Can Make With Mango At Home / Governor Ikpeazu Playing Table Tennis At Isolation Centre / Ntuk Issac, Nigerian Bodybuilder Who Is Making Waves In The US. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.