Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,990 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? (24471 Views)

Am I At Risk Of HIV Infection After Sex In Imo Hotel? / World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection / Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by omejeb: 1:00pm On Aug 20, 2023
Please how accurate can hiv test detect hiv within 10weeks of exposure...i have done two lab tests one at 3weeks after exposure then the other was at 10weeks after exposure.. cry

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Curious346: 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2023
omejeb:
Please how accurate can hiv test detect hiv within 10weeks of exposure...i have done two lab tests one at 3weeks after exposure then thecother was at 10weeks after exposure.. cry

Best of option is go for the test with your partner

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Curious346: 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2023
omejeb:
Please how accurate can hiv test detect hiv within 10weeks of exposure...i have done two lab tests one at 3weeks after exposure then thecother was at 10weeks after exposure.. cry
if your own don't show, her own will show

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by mymadam(m): 1:54pm On Aug 20, 2023
omejeb:

It depends on the type of test you're gonna get. Ordinarily, it's anything between 15 - 90 days, to start with. For the popular 4th generation HIV rapid test (blood from vein), it's around 30 - 90 days (to be on the safe side). Please kindly do some personal research.

P. S. You may need a confirmatory test after 3 - 6 months, as advised by your healthcare provider.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by omejeb: 9:34pm On Aug 20, 2023
Curious346:

we just met and had unprotected sex..i barely know her

2 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by omejeb: 9:37pm On Aug 20, 2023
I have done about two tests within the window periods..the first was 3weeks after exposure then the other one I did was 10weeks after the exposure but all came out negative..but the lab scientist told me I have to come back for a confirmatory test in three months time and that should be next month...i don't know the chances of it still going to show negative...fear wants to kill me here πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by DoctorAyukebot(m): 9:20am On Aug 21, 2023
omejeb:
I have done about two tests within the window periods..the first was 3weeks after exposure then the other one I did was 10weeks after the exposure but all came out negative..but the lab scientist told me I have to come back for a confirmatory test in three months time and that should be next month...i don't know the chances of it still going to show negative...fear wants to kill me here πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ

The window period for most HIV antibody tests is 3months (12weeks) after exposure. I don't know which test assay is popular in Nigeria, but in Cameroon the test kit DETERMINE is a first line cos of it's high sensitivity. That means it will for the most part pick up antibodies. Oral Quick is used for confirmation cos of it's high specificity. This means sometimes cos of DETERMINE's high sensitivity it could show a false positive that needs to be confirmed with a high specificity kit like Oral Quick that's good at detecting antibodies specific to HIV..

If you tested negative at the ten week mark it's very very likely you would be negative at the 12weeks mark. Most rapid tests in use in 2023 can accurately pick antibodies at the 6weeks mark. However in line with regulation do test again at the 12 weeks mark post exposure to have a confirmatory result

Dr Ayukebot O Rowland
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA

95 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by omejeb: 9:26am On Aug 21, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

The window period for most HIV antibody tests is 3months (12weeks) after exposure. I don't know which test assay is popular in Nigeria, but in Cameroon the test kit DETERMINE is a first line cos of it's high sensitivity. That means it will for the most part pick up antibodies. Oral Quick is used for confirmation cos of it's high specificity. This means sometimes cos of DETERMINE's high sensitivity it could show a false positive that needs to be confirmed with a high specificity kit like Oral Quick that's good at detecting antibodies specific to HIV..

If you tested negative at the ten week mark it's very very likely you would be negative at the 12weeks mark. Most rapid tests in use in 2023 can accurately pick antibodies at the 6weeks mark. However in line with regulation do test again at the 12 weeks mark post exposure to have a confirmatory result

Dr Ayukebot O Rowland
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA

Thanks a lot sir,I will be going for a confirmation test by the month end..and I have questioned the lady I had sex with she told me she too feels scared and haven't had sex after since she gave birth as a single mom

6 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by DoctorAyukebot(m): 10:33am On Aug 21, 2023
omejeb:

Thanks a lot sir,I will be going for a confirmation test by the month end..and I have questioned the lady I had sex with she told me she too feels scared and haven't had sex after since she gave birth as a single mom

I suppose your fear stems from having unprotected sex with someone whose HIV status you can't ascertain. Since you guys are still in communication you can ask her to run an HIV test too. I'm certain you are negative based on your 10week results but it's safe to have a confirmatory at 12 weeks per regulatory. I suppose you learned your lesson this time and would be more careful next time..All the best
Dr Ayukebot O Rowland
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA

48 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by omejeb: 12:05am On Aug 22, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

I suppose your fear stems from having unprotected sex with someone whose HIV status you can't ascertain. Since you guys are still in communication you can ask her to run an HIV test too. I'm certain you are negative based on your 10week results but it's safe to have a confirmatory at 12 weeks per regulatory. I suppose you learned your lesson this time and would be more careful next time..All the best
Dr Ayukebot O Rowland

I questioned her about her hiv status she told me she haven't had sex since she gave birth and I am the only one she have had sex with after given birth and also told me she is hiv negative..but I will be going for a confirmation test soon
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by HeartlessMan: 1:02pm On Aug 22, 2023
Do another test.
Keep doing until it's positive.

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Hezzyluv: 1:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
Please how accurate can hiv test detect hiv within 10weeks of exposure...i have done two lab tests one at 3weeks after exposure then the other was at 10weeks after exposure.. cry
How the thing dey tantalizing reach wey make you forgot ur raincoat

2 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Jh0wsef(m): 1:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
sad
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by ideatoprince18(m): 1:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
May How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed favor me and my family

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
Exposure bi bawo?...

Is HIV an airborne disease..?

4 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by gassbee: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
for your mind to be at peace, u need to retest after 3 months and finally after 6 months

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
Oh
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by FreeStuffsNG: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

smh. Please don't do this kind of thing again. It's reckless and can save you and your loved ones a lot of hassles

2 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by OBIDIENTNAIJA: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
Ok
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Angelfrost(m): 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
So... Op, is that picture the result of your test?!!

Make una nor dey give incomplete information. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by arejibadz(m): 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
were condom you no gree
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Hezzyluv: 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
HeartlessMan:
Do another test.
Keep doing until it's positive.

grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Angelfrost(m): 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

You don't know her, yet you dived in head first without a rubber...!

Many of you young people don dey get mind these days... It's like we are back in the pre-Eighties before HIV/AIDS became a thing.

Even then, people were still not this reckless.

I think the HIV awareness organizations and CDC have not been doing their jobs... The latter went moribund after COVID-19 lies dried up.

If they really do fact check on HIV/AIDS prevalence, the results will make many of you shocked to your bones.

8 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Chunedujohnson6: 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
It takes at least six months which is approximately 25 weeks and nothing less.

See the requirements you need to apply for your UK student visa here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8eIPCfi0ZA
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Davinity: 1:06pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
That thing wey you dey find you go see am oh

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by FactBoyz: 1:06pm On Aug 22, 2023
cheesy
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by 2dream(m): 1:06pm On Aug 22, 2023
undecided
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by nedekid: 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2023
Curious346:

Seconded.

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by BarrElChapo(m): 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2023
πŸ˜‰

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Meel: 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NAFDAC Nabs Businessman, Obinna Igbo, Over Importation Of Fake Anti-Malaria Drug / Please What Is This Growth? / Siamese Twins Die Months After Delivery In Katsina. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.