Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism (19141 Views)

Nora Roberts Replies Accusation Of Plagiarism By Tomi Adeyemi In Style / Nigerian Writer Blasted For Accusing American Writer Nora Roberts Of Theft / Tomi Adeyemi Gets Hollywood Deal For New Book (kwenu) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by deepwater(f): 3:47pm On Nov 30, 2018
Tbaby4real:

Tomi is a UK based writer.

To be honest are you okay?
Like seriously?

Based in UK? writes a book? and people in other Nations wont read it?

I dont even get your point? i dont know why u quoting BTCH
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 30, 2018
Buffalowings3:
Stupid woman..
She wanted to cash in on the rave reviews of tom's novel..
Why not choose another title.

I still maintain my stand...

Nora Roberts wrote hers and published it first. That's the summary of everything if you were too lazy to read.

1 Like

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by AHCB: 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2018
BluntBoy:

No, it is foolish to use publication dates.

Copyright date is what matters and since titles can't be copyrighted, Tomi shouldn't have made an accusation in the first place.
why is it foolish to use publication dates?
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Tbaby4real(f): 4:19pm On Nov 30, 2018
deepwater:

To be honest are you okay?
Like seriously?

Based in UK? writes a book? and people in other Nations wont read it?

I dont even get your point? i dont know why u quoting BTCH

Pele, oma wa alright.
You ask if Nigerians read. I said Tomi is UK base (which was an honest mistake) cos I meant US and that makes you scream or cry? I thought you were normal hence my reply to you, didn't know you just escape. Pele cheesy cheesy
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Tbaby4real(f): 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2018
topcatking:
Nora Roberts? Plagiarism? I beg to differ. Tomi is an upstart writer. ( I have read children of blood and bones, and there is nothing special in it...really).
Don't come here , yelling New york times bestseller, being a harvard alumni( your contacts and the prestige itself can make you famous). She only wrote a young adult (africa themed) fantasy tale.
Not to detract from Tomi Adeyemi's achievements, I think she over-reached and with this singular act, stabbed herself and her career in the foot.

Nora Roberts is one of the most respected, successful and awarded writers of all time. She has been writing bestsellers since the world was young.

Google both persons and see.

Title plagiarism? Tomi dey Jonze
I totally agree, not a good way to start her career. I pray she dont get sued.

2 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by BluntBoy(m): 5:54pm On Nov 30, 2018
AHCB:
why is it foolish to use publication dates?

The first rule is that your work is copyrighted the very instance you create it.

In the UK and many other countries, copyright is an automatic right. Once you create your work, it is automatically copyrighted. It is automatically recognized as your work.

What some writers do is to email their work to themselves. The email will carry a date so that when you ever have to defend your copyright, you can prove that you have written your work before the person that plagiarized it.

The reason why it is foolish to use publication date is that it doesn't prove that a book was written first.

If Writer A finishes a work in 1990 but does not publish and Writer B lifts a passage from Writer A's manuscript and adds it to his own book and then publishes his book in 1995. If eventually Writer A publishes his own book in 1996, it may appear like he plagiarized Writer B when in fact it was Writer B that plagiarized him.

So, publication date does not prove anything.

2 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by ahahnow: 5:54pm On Nov 30, 2018
Always the black woman looking for trouble. Trying to start fights. Why are black women always so hoy headed?
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by AHCB: 6:02pm On Nov 30, 2018
BluntBoy:

The first rule is that your work is copyrighted the very instance you create it.

In the UK and many other countries, copyright is an automatic right. Once you create your work, it is automatically copyrighted. It is automatically recognized as your work.

What some writers do is to email their work to themselves. The email will carry a date so that when you ever have to defend your copyright, you can prove that you have written your work before the person that plagiarized it.

The reason why it is foolish to use publication date is that it doesn't prove that a book was written first.

If Writer A finishes a work in 1990 but does not publish and Writer B lifts a passage from Writer A's manuscript and adds it to his own book and then publishes his book in 1995. If eventually Writer A publishes his own book in 1996, it may appear like he plagiarized Writer B when in fact it was Writer B that plagiarized him.

So, publication date does not prove anything.
I see. Thanks for explaining.

2 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by BluntBoy(m): 6:52pm On Nov 30, 2018
AHCB:
I see. Thanks for explaining.
You are welcome, bro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by jomax4real(m): 7:17pm On Nov 30, 2018
In defending oneself against a false accusation such as this one (which poses great threat of possibly losing one's face in public),
exhaustion becomes a goal. It doesn't matter how many words you put to it. No stone is left unturned.
Africanness:
Such a long story. It could have been way shorter.

1 Like

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by deepwater(f): 7:37pm On Nov 30, 2018
Tbaby4real:

Pele, oma wa alright.
You ask if Nigerians read. I said Tomi is UK base (which was an honest mistake) cos I meant US and that makes you scream or cry? I thought you were normal hence my reply to you, didn't know you just escape. Pele cheesy cheesy

Is that how u use to do?
somebody can not play with u abi

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by ShamsBarack: 10:05pm On Nov 30, 2018
vizkiz:
Errr.... Summary?
Olodo! grin

Read everything.

Nora just schooled Adeyemi.

Damn! Nora is good. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by skillz111(m): 4:23am On Dec 01, 2018
This girl accusing someone may actually have stolen her title from another person's work subconsciously.

1 Like

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 01, 2018
sisisioge:

Ose o...one silly disrespectful first timer! The rule is to have facts before making any accusations.

Nora wey na fiction mama......Walahi this wannabe writer need cane, no regards for her elders.

1 Like

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by AHCB: 10:53pm On Dec 01, 2018
BluntBoy. I saw this on facebook, I thought it might intrigue you. grin cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by BluntBoy(m): 10:15am On Dec 02, 2018
AHCB:
BluntBoy. I saw this on facebook, I thought it might intrigue you. grin cheesy

cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Christopher (A Short Story) / Which Of These Did You Read? / How An Encounter With A Marijuana Smoker Helped Solved My Problem- Johnspeak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.