Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,151 members, 7,829,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found (2775 Views)

THE OBA HAS TO ABDICATE / President Jonathan And Yoruba Oba's, Blessing Or Curse? (photo) / Only An Oba has The Power To Appoint Iya Loja In Yorubaland By Musiwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by KnowAll(m): 1:49pm On Jul 30, 2010
Without the demise of Ekinrin, nobody uses its feather.” This is a popular Yoruba proverb which underscores the importance of the rare and wild bush animal. Currently in Ososa, Ogun State, the hometown of the late legendary doyen of Nigerian theatre, Dr. Hubert Ogunde, the animal is the issue.

Ekinrin, will decide for how long Dr. Olatoye Alatishe, the new Gbengade, will stay in a two-bedroom hut made up of palm-fronts. Already, hunters within and outside the town have been deployed in search of the bush animal which must be brought alive to the town.

[size=14pt]It is part of several traditional rites for the enthronement of Alatishe, the former chairman of Ijebu-Ode Local Government Council as the new traditional ruler of the town.

In an interview with Daily Sun, the Gbengade-elect said: “We have done Ileken, we are now in Odo. It is a situation where you are placed in a harsh condition regardless of where you are coming from. It is meant for a new traditional ruler in Ososa to feel what it looks like as a normal grassroots or special person.

I have had to leave the comfort of my home and stay here for a specific number of days which is determined by the availability of an animal called Ekinrin.”
“I can’t go out. I have been here since last week and they must find an animal called Ekinrin. You must have heard the Yoruba proverb, Laiku Ekinrin, a ki nfawo se gbedu.” It is called Ekinrin in this area and hunters are all over the place to look for it. The day it appears, that is when I will leave here
.[/size]
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by desgiezd(m): 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2010
Can someone describe the animal in case we find it in Victoria Island or in Lagos Island so that we would catch it and take it to that village.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by tpiah: 2:00pm On Jul 30, 2010
oh well.

anyway, poster, i guess you mean "rare"
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by KnowAll(m): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2010
[size=14pt]I hope this wild animal has not gone the same way as the Tasmanian Tiger OR better still the dinosours in which case his majesty would be banished to this mud hut for the rest of his life.  undecided[/size]
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by tpiah: 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2010
tasmanian
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by 0hsisi: 2:38pm On Jul 30, 2010
source please
so the man is still in the bush?
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by KnowAll(m): 2:46pm On Jul 30, 2010
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by 0hsisi: 2:52pm On Jul 30, 2010
very fetish I must say
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by Nchara: 3:25pm On Jul 30, 2010
How much human body parts will he be fed with? Or that one is beyond public knowledge?
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by CyberG: 3:32pm On Jul 30, 2010
Well, there are some wild animals on this side of the world (Ekinrin must be here too!), so if the description of the "wanted" animal is given, good samaritans can hunt it down for the oba and have it captured and sent by DHL??  grin grin
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by Kilode1: 4:04pm On Jul 30, 2010
0hsisi:

very fetish I must say

I won't call it fetish, that is a long stretch.

It is a very sensible social tradition. While not very relevant anymore, the idea behind it is still valid, still necessary and relevant; A leader should not attain office if he can't show himself capable, he needs to be disciplined, show he can understand the reality of his lowly, less privileged followers. and be ready to obey laid down rules

How I wish that philosophy was well translated into our imported or abi na imposed modern political structure, maybe we won't be in the state we are currently in

by dismissing it as just "fetish",  you risk downplaying its real meaning.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by desgiezd(m): 4:22pm On Jul 30, 2010
Kilode?!:

A leader should not attain office if he can't show himself capable, he needs to be disciplined, show he can understand the reality of his lowly, less privileged followers. and be ready to obey laid down rules

If only the deposed Deji of Akure had undergone this sort of hardship, who knows, he would have exercised some restraint by not engaging in a public brawl.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by tpiah: 4:27pm On Jul 30, 2010
that might be true sha.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by KnowAll(m): 5:05pm On Jul 30, 2010
A leader should not attain office if he can't show himself capable, he needs to be disciplined, show he can understand the reality of his lowly, less privileged followers. and be ready to obey laid down rules

[size=14pt]That is the way it was done in the good old days when Kings lead their men to battle not the IBB's and abacha's of this world who because they have the key to the armoury hold the nation to ransome. These gentlemen still owe Nigeria an apology more especially IBB for his mutinious behaiviour if anything.[/size]
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by Kilode1: 5:09pm On Jul 30, 2010
desgiezd:

If only the deposed Deji of Akure had undergone this sort of hardship, who knows, he would have exercised some restraint by not engaging in a public brawl.

cheesy grin cheesy

Abi o, that was the point of most of those social customs, they used the knowledge and ideas available to them at that time to address their social problems.

But that Olori won't have dared a Deji of the old era, undecided Or maybe she would, some women were able to assert themselves in those days too.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by KnowAll(m): 5:17pm On Jul 30, 2010
[size=14pt]But ladies and gentlemen which animal be "Ekinrin" let's help this oba from his travails[/size].
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by stormm: 5:53pm On Jul 30, 2010
Na inside the hut he take conduct interview? Hogwash.

Who send am? As LG chairman, he achieved nada, zilch.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by Kilode1: 6:21pm On Jul 30, 2010
stormm:

Na inside the hut he take conduct interview? Hogwash.

Who send am? As LG chairman, he achieved nada, zilch.

you see, that na why den for don ask am make e go find Ekinrin before dem appoint am local government chair grin grin cheesy

maybe e for respect the office. grin
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by debeginin(m): 7:10pm On Jul 30, 2010
He should be fed ones in a day.Sometimes,he shd take garri and stone to have a real feel.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by AloyEmeka8: 7:22pm On Jul 30, 2010
Kilode?!:

I won't call it fetish, that is a long stretch.

It is a very sensible social tradition. While not very relevant anymore, the idea behind it is still valid, still necessary and relevant; A leader should not attain office if he can't show himself capable, he needs to be disciplined, show he can understand the reality of his lowly, less privileged followers. and be ready to obey laid down rules

How I wish that philosophy was well translated into our imported or abi na imposed modern political structure, maybe we won't be in the state we are currently in

by dismissing it as just "fetish",  you risk downplaying its real meaning.

I don't understand what your explanation has to do with the oba staying home while hunters are looking for a special game for him. If he needs to show he is capable, then let me leave that damn hut and go get the Ekinrin.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by abadaba(m): 9:43pm On Jul 30, 2010
Thetre is nothing wrong with that, if that is part of their culture. Culture of a people must not die.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by MetalGong2(m): 10:09pm On Jul 30, 2010
What they meant by rear animals are young female virgins, 20 human skulls and two Igbo men's head.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by tpiah: 1:37am On Jul 31, 2010
does anyone know what an ekinrin is?
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by Nobody: 1:45am On Jul 31, 2010
I dont get this thread. is it meant to inform, explain, entertain or ridicule the Yoruba culture?

Where were they supposed to lived?
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by KnowAll(m): 2:13am On Jul 31, 2010
I dont get this thread. is it meant to inform, explain, entertain or ridicule the Yoruba culture?

Where were they supposed to lived?

[size=14pt]This thread is about the intricacies in the coronation process and those towns and villages who have not embraced the western coronation method entirely. This town are following the procession of crowning an oba to the letter. This is a very rear event in today's culture and should be commended.

It is just like the masai warriors in Kenyan, b4 a masai can be regarded as a man he must kill a lion with a spear at the age of 12.

I am not sure whether this customs is still observed today.[/size]
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by Nobody: 2:20am On Jul 31, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]This thread is about the intricacies in the coronation process and those towns and villages who have not embraced the western coronation method entirely. This town are following the procession of crowning an oba to the letter. This is a very rear event in today's culture and should be commended.

It is just like the masai warriors in Kenyan, b4 a masai can be regarded as a man he must kill a lion with a spear at the age of 12. I am not sure
whether this customs is still observed today.[/size]
Really. . . . are you Yoruba?

BTW, did you mean a 'rare' wild animal? And what is so difficult in catching a wild animal?

Is there a specific animal that must be caught?
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by KnowAll(m): 2:27am On Jul 31, 2010
Really. . . . are you Yoruba?

BTW, did you mean a 'rare' wild animal? And what is so difficult in catching a wild animal?

Is there a specific animal that must be caught?

[size=14pt]There is a specific animal and it is rear, of course I am Yoruba, the moral of the story is some part of this rare animal would be put on the crown of the king. It is like someone telling you to kill a life goat or Chicken as supposed to bringing goat and chicken parts u pick up from the super-market to make some sacrifice but on this occassion it is a rare animal.[/size]
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by Nobody: 2:32am On Jul 31, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]There is a specific animal and it is rear, of course I am Yoruba, the moral of the story is some part of this rare animal would be put on the crown of the king. It is like someone telling you to kill a life goat or Chicken as supposed to bringing goat and chicken parts u pick up from the super-market to make some sacrifice but on this occassion it is a rare animal.[/size]
Thanks, whats up with your super-size-me fonts nau?

I guess it must be a difficult "ordeal" for this culture to be a big deal. I'm confused, in one post you said the hut is made out of palm oil carnal. . . . is that right?
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by Kilode1: 3:26am On Jul 31, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

I don't understand what your explanation has to do with the oba staying home while hunters are looking for a special game for him. If he needs to show he is capable, then let me leave that damn hut and go get the Ekinrin.

Ekinrin, will decide for how long Dr. Olatoye Alatishe, the new Gbengade, will stay in a two-bedroom hut made up of palm-fronts(palm-fronds?) Already, hunters within and outside the town have been deployed in search of the bush animal which must be brought alive to the town.

It is part of several traditional rites for the enthronement of Alatishe, the former chairman of Ijebu-Ode Local Government Council as the new traditional ruler of the town.

In an interview with Daily Sun, the Gbengade-elect said: “We have done Ileken, we are now in Odo. It is a situation where you are placed in a harsh condition regardless of where you are coming from. It is meant for a new traditional ruler in Ososa to feel what it looks like as a normal grassroots or special person.

I have had to leave the comfort of my home and stay here for a specific number of days which is determined by the availability of an animal called Ekinrin.”
“I can’t go out. I have been here since last week and they must find an animal called Ekinrin. You must have heard the Yoruba proverb, Laiku Ekinrin, a ki nfawo se gbedu.” It is called Ekinrin in this area and hunters are all over the place to look for it. The day it appears, that is when I will leave here.

The reasons are in the "bolded", yes, others are hunting for the animal, but he's not sitting his behind down in a jacuzzi sipping Hennessey. He's playing his part, and it doesn't sound very comfortable to me. That, according to their tradition, is how to show himself capable.
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by tpiah: 3:31am On Jul 31, 2010
he's not sitting his behind down in a jacuzzi sipping Hennessey

true that
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by bkbabe97y(m): 3:52am On Jul 31, 2010
Nchara:

How much human body parts will he be fed with? Or that one is beyond public knowledge?

MetalGong2:

What they meant by rear animals are young female virgins, 20 human skulls and two Igbo men's head.

When the world starts Googling and pasting links of ur cannibalistic, drug dealing, and wife murdering nature u turn around and start calling for ur mommy dearest. . . .
Re: Yoruba Oba Has To Live In A Mud Hut Until A Rare Wild Animal Is Found by MetalGong2(m): 4:04am On Jul 31, 2010
bk.babe97y:

When the world starts Googling and pasting links of your cannibalistic, drug dealing, and wife murdering nature u turn around and start calling for your mommy dearest. . . .

Go to hell you retarded Latino bast.ard. . . . . You pathetic daughter of a prosti.tute suppose not to be in the midst of people who know their biological father .
Even if your mama sleeps with all Nigerian men that comes her way,it would never change your status as a bast.ard and a non Nigerian.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gej Wants Elections Without Security Personnel Carrying Guns / President Goodluck Jonathan Storms Kaduna's DICON And Jaji In Army Uniform / The Worst Performing Governor In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.