Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,803 members, 7,817,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions (12893 Views)

Menace Of Yahoo Boys In Our Institutions / Adekunle Ajasin University (aaua) Acceptance Fee Payment Problem / How To Make Laspotech Acceptance Fee, Clearance Procedures As A New Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by AbooNihmah: 12:58am On Dec 04, 2018
In Nigeria, there are so many absurdities that has transmogrified into the norms. Nigeria; as I always say, is full of objectionable acts which are overlooked simply because it is prevalent and has been termed 'normal'.
Torchlighting our educational system; prevailing are nonchalance, absurdities, nonsensicality, which are being accentuated as normal. But the peak of it all is the extortion of students and aspirants seeking admission. Now is the time of seeking, granting and gaining admission.
From the very onset of seeking admission, aspirants face the stern test and examination of various educational bodies such as JAMB, WAEC, NECO, NABTEB and the likes, exhuming huge sums from aspirants.
After much trouble from the mentioned bodies, then the institutions come with some cockamamie demands which aspirants must delve into if they want to be successful in their quest of gaining admission. My utmost concern has nothing to do with all these factors but one; and that's paying of acceptance fee.

What is acceptance fees all about?
Acceptance fee is the initial fee 'newly admitted' Aspirants pay to the institution one is seeking admission into, after one had been considered for admission. That's the first payment one would pay for the continuation of all necessary procedures before the finalization of admission.
Mind you, paying of acceptance fee doesn't guarantee admission. No, It doesn't! And that, being the last straw that broke the camel's back. How can one pay huge sums for acceptance fee, yet no admission. They bring forward flimsy and preposterous reasons why this is so.
One they bring forward is the wrongful combination of subjects in jamb. Another is results not tallying and failure of uploading of results in some cases. And other blatant excuses which are not weighty.
My question is why give admission to aspirants who fall in this category knowing fully well what their fates unfold in the long run? The Aspirants should be blacklisted from the admission list before they are being churned out. Not after paying the non-refundable  acceptance fee. Or maybe you don't know the acceptance fee is non-refundable. Of course, it is! Part of the so many reasons our educational system is failing.

Secondly, I'd like to pinpoint the acceptance fee itself. How much are we talking about here? Basically, it ranges from one institution to another.
Private institutions for example pay nothing less than fifty thousand naira which could rise to two hundred thousand naira, depending on aspirants courses. And state universities thread the same route. Only some federal institutions ate half a humble pie. Theirs goes for nothing less than twenty thousand naira minimum which could also rise depending on courses. Same as the polytechnics and monotechnics.
These sum are outrageously outrageous. And knowing fully well that paying that huge sum doesn't guarantee admission gives one's stomach a headache.
The institutions should be considerate in every of their dealings cos' not everyone can muster such fees on a go. Not everyone.

Some African countries are now laying the foundation for near zero fees for all their institutions. We are here extorting money from exiguous Aspirants. Because bunch of these Aspirants and students filled in government institutions are hand to mouth and middle class 'pikin', and even considering the dip in form of our economy, then why the overcharge?
The government of Liberia is a case study in this aspect. They have nothing in resources compared to us, yet they are leading us in the education sector. Recently, they proclaimed free education in all their institutions. Isn't that praiseworthy? But back home, we are nothing but empty vessels when it comes to budgeting and investing in our education system. Ghana also lead in that aspect. And we are the self proclaimed giant of Africa with nothing to show for it.

On a lighter note, I was happy this year for the controlling of post Utme fees in all institutions by ths government. The fees were clamped down to a regular and universal attainable fee. The post Utme fees across the country this year was checkered down to nothing less than three thousand naira.
This kind of policy should also be enforced on all institutions concerning the acceptance fee. I'm sure if all goes well without the snitching and backbiting from self centered institutions, I think the policy would be a mechanism for checks and balance for all institutions not billing Aspirants exorbitantly. With this, there would be no cause for unnecessary clamor or outburst concerning the raised issue.

AbooNi'mah (2uchPen)

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by sluk(m): 1:07am On Dec 04, 2018
In the law of contract there must be an offer and an acceptance; these are elements of a valid contract. So for your contract of admission to be valid between you and an institution, you must have furnished some consideration by way of acceptance of the offer.

9 Likes

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by dallex10(m): 5:10am On Dec 04, 2018
This is Nigeria
My school collects #20,000 as her acceptance fee
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Abdul4trust1(m): 7:26am On Dec 04, 2018
I Don't Know When We're Going To Get It Right In Nigeria.
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Abdul4trust1(m): 7:30am On Dec 04, 2018
sluk:
In the law of contract there must be an offer and an acceptance; these are elements of a valid contract. So for your contract of admission to be valid between you and an institution, you must have furnished some consideration by way of acceptance of the offer.
law Of Contract In My Foot. What's Wrong With Accepting The Admission Without Paying Anything?

32 Likes

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Petersamuel8(m): 7:52am On Dec 04, 2018
acceptance fee is very important, that way institutions can withdraw admissions not accepted and offered to other interested

1 Like

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by oluwasegun007(m): 8:00am On Dec 04, 2018
Money must be made.... grin grin grin

After writing your entry exam and destroyed your question successfully , you still want me to pay you for acceptance.

Skam

5 Likes

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by martineverest(m): 8:01am On Dec 04, 2018
it's also existing in secondary schools.

1 Like

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by crownwealth: 8:01am On Dec 04, 2018
Nigeria as a country is a FRAUD.

Systemic corruption everywhere.

11 Likes

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by bettercreature(m): 8:02am On Dec 04, 2018
dallex10:
This is Nigeria
Some Private Uni collects as much as 550k
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by sekembaakesan(m): 8:03am On Dec 04, 2018
This does not concern IPOBIANS!

THEM NO DEY GO SCHOOL..

NO EDUCATED MAN WILL BEHAVE LIKE THESE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 04, 2018
A big rip-off it is!
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by moyinoluwabun(m): 8:05am On Dec 04, 2018
Imagine Federal university Oye paying 40k as acceptance fee. Aside school fee of over 100k
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by BabangidaHamza(m): 8:06am On Dec 04, 2018
Bayero University Kano Collect #5,000 as acceptance fee but i paid #3,000, 2013/14 session

1 Like

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by goshen26: 8:06am On Dec 04, 2018
Hmmmmmm!

But OP, do school collect acceptance fee when you have not being offered admission?

I think the word 'acceptance fee' is obtainable after you have been given admission by the institution, someone should correct me on this oooo.

On the subject matter;
There are many stupid fees that pose like extortion to me and poor admission seeker: acceptance fee, SUG, Faculty, Dept, course form. All these are just means of extortion.

8 Likes

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by MCMXCVIII(m): 8:06am On Dec 04, 2018
School fees should be the consideration.
sluk:

4 Likes

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by seunlly(m): 8:09am On Dec 04, 2018
It depends on your school!
Some federal do pay 50k.
And some 15k...
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Premiumwriter: 8:09am On Dec 04, 2018
The thing tire me o

Nigerian institutions are supposed to be out there looking for the best students to admit.

Sadly, the best don't even come close. Everything's just about the money. They don't know that brilliant minds are the real goldmines.
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Naijawebmaster: 8:11am On Dec 04, 2018
Acceptance fee is inevitable.
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by SlimHan(f): 8:13am On Dec 04, 2018
dallex10:
This is Nigeria
EKSU acceptance fee is 57k amidst other fees and the least tuition fee is 100k. Portal fee 4k, Smart school 14k just to mention but few yet they still embark on strike and never see the need to pull out of the selfish association called ASSU

Nigeria education system is not just organized cry

5 Likes

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by RolyRoly: 8:13am On Dec 04, 2018
My school#FUPRE collect N45,000 for acceptance fee

2 Likes

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by frankosivue(m): 8:13am On Dec 04, 2018
My school does NOT take acceptance fee. Thank God.
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Khallyella(f): 8:14am On Dec 04, 2018
Be rich enough so your children won't have to complain later...
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Khallyella(f): 8:16am On Dec 04, 2018
SlimHan:
EKSU acceptance fee is 57k amidst other fees and the least tuition fee is 100k. Portal fee 4k, Smart school 14k just to mention but few yet they still embark on strike and never see the need to pull out of the selfish association called ASSU

Nigeria education system is not just organized cry

Acceptance fee for medicine is 107k embarassed

1 Like

Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by lilachiever(m): 8:17am On Dec 04, 2018
dallex10:
This is Nigeria My school collects #20,000 as her acceptance fee

Lagos State University??
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by OneManLegion(m): 8:18am On Dec 04, 2018
sluk:

Consideration can be nonmaterial na..
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by goshen26: 8:18am On Dec 04, 2018
frankosivue:
My school does NOT take acceptance fee. Thank God.

Which school is that?
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by basmur(m): 8:19am On Dec 04, 2018
They are majorly concern with the multiple fold of thousands they will accumulate from the aspirants .
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Tinalex(f): 8:19am On Dec 04, 2018
sluk:
Yes as per the concept of the law of contract but in this case this law is unapplicable so the practicability by tertiary institutions should be considered null and void!
Re: Acceptance Fee: The Protruding Menace In Our Institutions by Seandisputed(m): 8:20am On Dec 04, 2018
way back 2011, I paid #25,000 to accept my admission.

If you can't beat them, join them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNIBEN May Lose Geology Accreditation As Varsity Begs For N2.5m Funding / Loyola College Ibadan Old Boys Meet Here / Location/Information on UNN Annex In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.