Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,449 members, 7,846,873 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:12 AM

Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins (32222 Views)

Nigerian Soldier Resting During An Operation In The North. Photo / Aba: A City In Ruins / Tafawa Balewa's Lagos Office In Ruins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 2:48am On Jul 17, 2011
dem_people:

Ofcourse u can son. You sure can. When you were born, I held u in my arms and knew u will do me proud one day.  wink

Don't stop at being the alj harem of africa. Aim much higher by being the Shehu of Africa itself.  wink wink wink

grin grin grin grin shehu of africa indeed grin grin grin grin smiley
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EkoIle1: 3:02am On Jul 17, 2011
henry101:

Zik had no rival in Nigeria. He was simply a man of intellect who wished and worked towards the best for his people and Africa.

What a waste of bandwidth. So you are now trying to substitute achievments with speeches?

They asked you for achievment based on the job Nigerians charged him to do, you coppied and pasted some silly speech.

Would you like us to cut and paste many speeches by other Nigerians, even way way better written speeches.?

I guess this is just you saying you are incapable of typing 1 or 2 lines articulating what the man delivered to Nigerians based on what Nigerians asked to do.

This is really pathetic,
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:05am On Jul 17, 2011
@henry101

WHAT IS ALL THE NOTE ABOUT

i read the whole stuff and i have nt seen anything to be called an achievement

he told the whites he wants education, and so

u are even insulting our intelligence by talking about speech cry cry such ignorance and lack of foresight

so with all the speech, space program NUKKca etc what did he achieve

what all the pro-african stance, how has he improved the lives of nigerians

Ok for example

Ahmadu Bello God bless his soul (thanks to the coup angry )

how Ahmadu bello university was formed

in 1960 or so when northerners were been over run by igbos and yoruba scholars. A servant came to bello and told him " we are been over run by southerners" AS a leader He was, he immediatly stood up and said " why is that?" the servant told him because they hav universities . Bello said " then why don't we build our own university" then he want to Zaira and commanded " this is where we would build the university"

He united the whole north under one umbrella

even to distance kwara, beune and kogi

NOW THAT IS AN ACHIEVEMENT AND A TRUE LEADER

AGAIN AWOLOWO

HE did the first television station in africa even before france did. which is now NTA that the whole Nigeria is enjoying

he gave his people free education and that is why from doctors, banks, adenuga, odetola, juman, etc are all greatful to him, even itsekiris and edo.  northerners and igbos also benefitted from it whether u like it or not(because u people lie a lot)

he gave his people free health services, which we all enjoyed if u were in the western part of the country

HE changed our note from pounds to naira thus removing colonial mentality

built OAU

etc the list is too much

OGONI SARO WIWA

he die for his people. now that is a leader

NOW ZIK OF WHATEVER

he gave speech about africa and education which he did nothing to improve

he spoke about football cry cry cry

donated 100 thousand naira to who knows

WHAT DID HE ACHIEVE FOR NIGERIA THAT IS STILL SEEN TODAY
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:10am On Jul 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

What a waste of bandwidth. So you are now trying to substitute achievments with speeches?

They asked you for achievment based on the job Nigerians charged him to do, you coppied and pasted some silly speech.

Would you like us to cut and paste many speeches by other Nigerians, even way way better written speeches.?

I guess this is just you saying you are incapable of typing 1 or 2 lines articulating what the man delivered to Nigerians based on what Nigerians asked to do.

This is really pathetic,

i mean this man is insulting us what that rubbish speech which i wasted my time to read

what nonsense angry
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:15am On Jul 17, 2011
henry101

right i wish i can just beat the living day light out of u for all the note u wrote for us to read without any ACHIEVEMENT

No vex me this sunday o angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by ektbear: 3:24am On Jul 17, 2011
alj_harem:

henry101

right i wish i can just beat the living day light out of u for all the note u wrote for us to read without any ACHIEVEMENT

No vex me this sunday o angry angry angry angry angry

His achievement was that he was given the nickname "Zik of Africa."

Is this not this not a gift to Africa more important than any tangible accomplishments?  grin

I however, they call "Ekt_bear of Earth." cool
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:26am On Jul 17, 2011
I have a love/hate opinion about Zik. When I spent time in Ibibioland, my grandfather would explain his dislike for Zik because of Eyo Ita incident.

It caused a lot of hostility in the East. My opinion is that he should have stayed in the West and fought Awolowo.

I do like his views on Pan-Africanism.
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EkoIle1: 3:28am On Jul 17, 2011
houvest:

I answered that for you above or  inspiring a generation of African leaders and nationalist movements across Africa thereby birthing modern free Africa on his Resume  not enough to be called Zik of Africa. If he affected all those leaders would you rather give that title to Nkrumah or Nyerere or Mandela? Folks here want to see the fish or list of fishes he gave Africa and not the fishing he taught Africa.

We know what the other folks did for their countries.

Nkrumah next door built Tema township from sctratch, he built the Accra-Tema Motorway, he built the  Komfo Anokye Hospital in Kumasi, the  University of Science and Technology, the University of Cape Coast, the polytechnics, the Akosombo Dam, the Adome bridge and many more.

The folks you mentioned were achivers, they all delivered on behalf of their people, same way Awolowo delivered for Nigerians and Africa, don't rubbish their names with zik's name.

The only thing zik delivered was the worthless zik of AFRICA rubbish. As stated by Times magazine, he was a demagogue and a corrupt leader.
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by ektbear: 3:31am On Jul 17, 2011
Who even called him Zik of Africa, sef?

His cousins? His uncle? I could even see if he was the driving force behind the independence movement in Nigeria.

Zik of Africa, unknown outside of Nigeria, unpopular in the Eastern region, not loved in the North, not loved in the West.

Lol.

I'm not trying to be bad belle or nothing, but I don't get it. Even Igbos don't really like the dude. So how did he become Zik of Africa w/o even being Zik of Igboland first?
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:32am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

I have a love/hate opinion about Zik. When I spent time in Ibibioland, my grandfather would explain his dislike for Zik because of Eyo Ita incident.

It caused a lot of hostility in the East. My opinion[b] is that he should have stayed in the West and fought Awolowo.
[/b]
I do like his views on Pan-Africanism.

then that would have been better

Emeaguali did it and became a genuine so ZIK can do the same
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:33am On Jul 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

We know what the other folks did for their countries.

Nkrumah next door built Tema township from sctratch, he built the Accra-Tema Motorway, he built the  Komfo Anokye Hospital in Kumasi, the  University of Science and Technology, the University of Cape Coast, the polytechnics, the Akosombo Dam, the Adome bridge and many more.

The folks you mentioned were achivers, they all delivered on behalf of their people, same way Awolowo delivered for Nigerians and Africa, don't rubbish their names with zik's name.

The only thing zik delivered was the worthless zik of AFRICA rubbish. As stated by Times magazine, he was a demagogue and a corrupt leader.

Why can't you be quiet?

Zik fought for the independence of [b]ALL [/b]Nigerians. He cannot be likened to the tribal chieftains like Awolowo or the Sardauna.

That is why Zik along with Herbert Macaulay are considered NATIONALIST. A
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:33am On Jul 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

His achievement was that he was given the nickname "Zik of Africa."

Is this not this not a gift to Africa more important than any tangible accomplishments?  grin

I however, they call "Ekt_bear of Earth."  cool

can u imagine angry
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by ektbear: 3:34am On Jul 17, 2011
Awolowo and Bello didn't fight for independence?
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:35am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

Why can't you be quiet?

Zik fought for the independence of [b]ALL [/b]Nigerians. He cannot be likened to the tribal chieftains like Awolowo or the Sardauna.

be keep shut u do not know what to say

AWOLOWO fought along side ZIK for indepences so crediting ZIK alone is rubbish
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:36am On Jul 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

Awolowo and Bello didn't fight for independence?

Bello did not fight for independence
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:38am On Jul 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

Who even called him Zik of Africa, sef?

His cousins? His uncle? I could even see if he was the driving force behind the independence movement in Nigeria.

Zik of Africa, unknown outside of Nigeria, unpopular in the Eastern region, not loved in the North, not loved in the West.

Lol.

I'm not trying to be bad belle or nothing, but I don't get it. Even Igbos don't really like the dude. So how did he become Zik of Africa w/o even being Zik of Igboland first?

He is not unknown out of Africa. Nnamdi Azikiwe is often mentioned alongside Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Julius Nyerere and others.

http://science.jrank.org/pages/10398/Nationalism-in-Africa-African-Nationalism-after-World-War-II.html

Even on Marcus Garvey's site.

http://www.mpai.ac.ug/marcus.htm
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:40am On Jul 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

Awolowo and [b]Bello [/b]didn't fight for independence?

grin grin grin

Awolowo formation of the Action Group was in response to Zik's party NCNC. He was reactionary, because he was jealous of Zik's widespread support.

Bello fight for independence? I dey laugh!

ALL Nigerians know the North did not want independence. Your lack of Nigerian history is sad.
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:41am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

He is not unknown out of Africa. Nnamdi Azikiwe is often mentioned alongside Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Julius Nyerere and others.

http://science.jrank.org/pages/10398/Nationalism-in-Africa-African-Nationalism-after-World-War-II.html

Even on Marcus Garvey's site.

http://www.mpai.ac.ug/marcus.htm

thus that make him the ZIK of africa cry

what did he achieve
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:42am On Jul 17, 2011
Why do Yorubas forget about Herbert Macaulay? A true Nigerian nationalist and mentor to Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:44am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

grin grin grin

Awolowo formation of the Action Group was in response to Zik's party NCNC. He was reactionary, because he was jealous of Zik's widespread support.

Bello fight for independence? I dey laugh!

ALL Nigerians know the North did not want independence. Your lack of Nigerian history is sad.

No u got he wrong, where are u getting this rubbish from

ZIK came to lagos and Awolowo did not like that sincehe is not ruling his people before he wants to rule the SW

then in the act of untimate betrayal he joined the north for the arrest of awolowo

so get it right

and lastly he already know Bello did not so stop this ur hypocricy

don't derail the thread
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:44am On Jul 17, 2011
alj_harem:

thus that make him the ZIK of africa cry

what did he achieve

He achieved our INDEPENDENCE.

What better achievement is that?

He organized Nigerians from the South to demand independence. What more achievements does he need?

He was an outspoken critic of British colonialism. The man was considered an enemy to the colonial establishment. What more achievements do you need?
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:45am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

Why do Yorubas forget about Herbert Macaulay? A true Nigerian nationalist and mentor to Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.

who told u he is forgotten, or u just assumed

pls don't derail the thread
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:46am On Jul 17, 2011
alj_harem:

No u got he wrong, where are u getting this rubbish from

ZIK came to lagos and Awolowo did not like that sincehe is not ruling his people before he wants to rule the SW

then in the act of untimate betrayal he joined the north for the arrest of awolowo

so get it right

and lastly he already know Bello did not so stop this your hypocricy

don't derail the thread

Nigeria's first political party to have nationwide appeal was the NCNC, founded in 1944 when Azikiwe encouraged activists in the National Youth Movement to call a conference in Lagos of all major Nigerian organizations to "weld the heterogeneous masses of Nigeria into one solid bloc." The aged Macauley was elected president of the new group, and Azikiwe became its secretary general. The party platform renewed the National Youth Movement's appeal for Nigerian self-government within the Commonwealth under a democratic constitution.

At its inception, party membership was based on affiliated organizations that included labor unions, social groups, political clubs, professional associations, and more than 100 ethnic organizations. These bodies afforded unusual opportunities for political education in existing constituencies, but the NYM, which was fading out, was absent from the list of NCNC affiliates. Leadership of the NCNC rested firmly with Azikiwe, in large part because of his commanding personality but also because of the string of newspapers he operated and through which he argued the nationalist cause. In the late 1940s, the NCNC captured a majority of the votes in the predominantly Yoruba Western Region, but increasingly it came to rely on Igbo support, supplemented by alliances with minority parties in the Northern Region. The NCNC backed the creation of new regions, where minorities would be ensured a larger voice, as a step toward the formation of a strong unitary national government.

[b]The Action Group arose in 1951 as a response to Igbo control of the NCNC and as a vehicle for Yoruba regionalism that resisted the concept of unitary government. [/b]The party was structured democratically and benefited from political spadework done by the NCNC in the Western Region in the late 1940s. As a movement designed essentially to exploit the federal arrangement to attain regional power, however, the Action Group became the NCNC's competitor for votes in the south at the national level and at the local level in the Western Region.

http://www.country-studies.com/nigeria/emergence-of-nigerian-nationalism.html

---------------------------------------------------------

Please do not comment on things you know nothing about. And stop spreading lies.

There is a reason why he is known as the Zik of Africa and it is time for Nigerians to be thankful for having a man who could stand up against British colonialism since  the Sardauna loved the European man and Awolowo was simply a tribal chieftain.
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:48am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

He achieved our INDEPENDENCE.

What better achievement is that?

He organized Nigerians from the South to demand independence. What more achievements does he need?

He was an outspoken critic of British colonialism. The man was considered an enemy to the colonial establishment. What more achievements do you need?

CHAIIIII cry cry cry cry ezeuche
First of all it was Him and Awolowo that fought for the independence because both of them wanted to dominate the north which ZIK knew himself

the british WHO HAVE GIVEN US INDEPENDENCE EVEN IF ZIK did not talk, or was dele giwa not out spoken as well

is he called Dele of africa. or is that his achievement
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:52am On Jul 17, 2011
alj harem. . . You are an idiot.
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:52am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

Nigeria's first political party to have nationwide appeal was the NCNC, founded in 1944 when Azikiwe encouraged activists in the National Youth Movement to call a conference in Lagos of all major Nigerian organizations to "weld the heterogeneous masses of Nigeria into one solid bloc." The aged Macauley was elected president of the new group, and Azikiwe became its secretary general. The party platform renewed the National Youth Movement's appeal for Nigerian self-government within the Commonwealth under a democratic constitution.

At its inception, party membership was based on affiliated organizations that included labor unions, social groups, political clubs, professional associations, and more than 100 ethnic organizations. These bodies afforded unusual opportunities for political education in existing constituencies, but the NYM, which was fading out, was absent from the list of NCNC affiliates. Leadership of the NCNC rested firmly with Azikiwe, in large part because of his commanding personality but also because of the string of newspapers he operated and through which he argued the nationalist cause. In the late 1940s, the NCNC captured a majority of the votes in the predominantly Yoruba Western Region, but increasingly it came to rely on Igbo support, supplemented by alliances with minority parties in the Northern Region. The NCNC backed the creation of new regions, where minorities would be ensured a larger voice, as a step toward the formation of a strong unitary national government.

[b]The Action Group arose in 1951 as a response to Igbo control of the NCNC and as a vehicle for Yoruba regionalism that resisted the concept of unitary government. [/b]The party was structured democratically and benefited from political spadework done by the NCNC in the Western Region in the late 1940s. As a movement designed essentially to exploit the federal arrangement to attain regional power, however, the Action Group became the NCNC's competitor for votes in the south at the national level and at the local level in the Western Region.

http://www.country-studies.com/nigeria/emergence-of-nigerian-nationalism.html

---------------------------------------------------------

Please do not comment on things you know nothing about. And stop spreading lies.

There is a reason why he is known as the Zik of Africa and it is time for Nigerians to be thankful for having a man who could stand up against British colonialism since  the Sardauna loved the European man and Awolowo was simply a tribal chieftain.

can u keep shut, with all this your useless propaganda website

Nigeria are not and would not ever be thankful to the man

Why would the "ZIK OF AFRICA" be associated with an igbo dominated party if he is a natioanlist mumu

who are u trying to decieve here

we nigerians would never be grateful to him

infact this is ijaw and SS people for u

"Who shall we send and who will go for us" Holy Bible.

[i]As Nigeria tethers at the brink of disaster, it has become hell for Southerners. But each time it tries to forge a common alliance that will throw off the yoke of the Hausa-Fulani it becomes more divided than ever because of the distrust and animosity between the Igbos and the Yorubas that arose out of the ashes of the Biafran war.

It is barely 30 years since the end of the war but any attempt to examine the source of these animosities has tended to generate more heat than light. Due extreme emotions, objectivity is lost. To move forward, it is necessary to expose these animosities since this is the root of the great divide in the South and the source of strength for the Hausa-Fulani oligarchy.

Rightly or wrongly, the Igbos have blamed the Yorubas for their lack of support of the Biafran cause. They have accused the Yorubas of everything from being cowards to traitors. Their esteemed leader, Awolowo, is the bogey man. He has been blamed for everything from famine in the East to the drought in the North. This is not an attempt to hold brief for Awo, because I know this gentleman can hold his own from the grave.

This war was a very traumatic period in Nigerian history especially for the Igbos. But how did we get there? Are the Yorubas or Western region really responsible for what befell the Igbos? Since the end of the war, it has not been to obtain records and transcripts of official deliberations that took place in the immediate period leading to the war. Most of the major players are dead. The few who are still alive are silent. Ojukwu who was a major player is loquacious but whatever he has said or still saying is empty, peripheral and to a great degree, self-serving. The Biafran war needs to be studied so we can learn from the mistakes of the actors who were human and acted according to the dictates of their time. With these lessons we can free ourselves from recrimination, bury the hatchet and salvage the South from the choke-hold of the Northern hegemony.

There is much blame to go around but as a minority person who has watched the three tribes fight one another over the resources of the minorities, I sincerely believe that the Yorubas have been blamed out of proportion to their roles during the war. [/b]It is time for th[b]e Igbos to forgo the emotions and re-examine the war and the period in which it was fought. Perhaps, they will discover that the war was lost before it was started. No matter how noble your cause is, nobody wants to die for a lost cause. This was a tactical war that resulted from the action of Igbo officers. If Nzeogwu and the gang of coup plotters had not struck, maybe the history of Nigeria would have been different. Perhaps the pogrom that took place in the North would not have happened. The various regions would have matured and Nigeria would have evolved a strong confederation through dialogue.

There were various issues and personalities that played themselves out in periods before and during the war. There were rivalries between individuals with different approaches to solving problems. Zik and Awo worked hard to gain the trust of their people. Ojukwu and Gowon were trusted into the limelight by the events that unfolded. It is difficult to fathom the extent to which the wish to hold center stage can corrupt good motives,  The rivalry between Zik and Awolowo dates back before independence. Either out of intellectual laziness or the need to divert attention from the failings of the Igbo leaders during the war, the role of Awo has been played up to mythical proportions.

It is easier to mention external factors than to look at the intrinsic weakness that led to the fall of Biafra. It was a war that came too early and was badly prosecuted. It was fought in a period of national hysteria when all the regions were going through their individual crisis: from the conflagration in the West to assassination of Ahmadu Bello and the ensuing pogrom. It was a period of mob hysteria and the loudest voices were not necessarily the voices of reason. It should be recalled that at the beginning of the war, Awo had spent almost three years in prison. Here was a man who, at the peak of his career found himself in jail. His region in crisis and his much beloved son dead. He watched all he had toiled for literally go up in flames. This no doubt may have had a profound effect on him. Is it possible for him to think that the Eastern leaders did not support him in his hour of need. Is it impossible that the years in solitary and his experience in the West and the lives lost may have taught him that political solution was the best way to go at the time, and that no region can go it alone?

It should also be recalled that Zik, also opposed the war. But this eloquence [b]was no match for Ojukwu’s arrogance and bravado. Till his death there was an uneasy silence between these two. Because both were Igbos, the relationship between them was not explored. [/b]Maybe political scholars did not consider it controversial enough. Ojukwu has used Awo to explain his failing for a long time and it is time that this issue is explored and the characters of the two men compared. In one his rare interviews, Awo explained that when he met Ojukwu at the Calabar prison, he did ask the young man to try and explore a political option but Ojukwu in reply said Awo was talking platitudes. But granted that Awo gave Ojukwu his verbal support what does it say about the Igbos when on the verbal proclamation of one man they would embark upon a war? What other Yoruba leaders did they meet? Awo is just one man in Yoruba land. However much they revere him, they are not gong to on a suicide mission just because Awo said so. Any good leader looks to the long term interest of his people.

[size=15pt]Those who have accused Awo of tribalism forget one thing: Awo was elected to defend the interest of the Western region[/size]( ideeiot learn form the ijaws). It was somebody else’s to do the same for the Eastern region. At various times, each region has threatened to secede from the Nigerian federation. When in 1957 Nigeria was to be granted independence the North said it was not ready. Awo was said to have had discussions with Zik saying the South should go ahead with independence because the North will never be ready even if given a hundred years. Zik turned around and formed an alliance with Ahmadu Bello and the South waited three years for the North to prepare for independence (Similarities between Pakistan and India. The British divided India into two nations –India and Pakistan because of religious differences).

T[b]his is the origin of our problems. Awo never forgave Zik for this. This pattern of alliance and betrayal was to repeat itself until their death. They could no longer trust each other on issues of South-South dialogue as Zik was always prone to renege at the last moment only to emerge with a Northern alliance. Because of this, Awo fought tooth and nail to gain ascendancy over Zik in the West. He played a role in the carpet crossing in the West that deprived Zik the leadership. He was accused of exploiting tribal sentiments to further his purpose but he was a man who acted according to the dictates of his time. To do otherwise is to suffer perdition. Zik learnt quickly from this episode, made a dash to the East and practically threw Eyo Ita out of the Eastern house to become the premier. This was the politics of the time. Everybody played the game.[/b]

It is against this background that[b] I see Awo as a leader who loved his people and this should not be seen as hatred for others. Those who also say that the Yorubas gained ascendancy of industry because of the marginalization of the Igbos fail to see the fact that most institutions in the West had been built before independence under the captainship of Awo.[/b]

[b]Awo is a man who looked for the long term interest of his people. The sooner the Igbos stop using him as an excuse for the failure of Biafra, the easier it is for them to discern good leadership that would serve them.

After all the atrocities that resulted from his faulty judgment during the war, I am amazed that Ojukwu is still a celebrated figure in Igboland. If he were in other lands he would be confined to the heap of infamy because so many lives were lost due to his decisions. His conduct and utterances since his return from exile leaves much to be desired. He is a spoilt ch[/b]ild who never grew up. He did not learn nor forgot anything. He is a man who loves power and not for what he can do for his people but for what power can do for his ego. To continue to blame the Yorubas for his failures shows that he has not learnt to take responsibility for his actions. He is a lost cause but I am amazed at the gullibility of his followers. Despite being labeled as cowards and traitors, the Yorubas have learned to thread very carefully. They have taken the lessons of the Biafran war to heart and fully understands that going it alone will not yield good results. Each time they try to seek the alliance with the Igbos because they know it is the right thing to do fully realizing that arrogance in this enterprise will serve no good purpose. While they may be outraged about the condition they find themselves, they do not consider it good judgment to endanger the lives of millions in a precipitate action that will not have a lasting solution

When it concerns Abiola and Obasanjo they are in a difficult situation. This is what you might call a tight situation because these two individuals did everything to demean Awo whom the Yorubas revered. In fact, Abiola in a bid to gain ascendancy in the Hausa-dominated process derided Awo to the great satisfaction of his Northern masters. Today, Awo must be laughing in his grave! This is the dilemma faced by the Yorubas. Their love for justice and freedom on one hand and a desire to avenge the humiliation of Papa Awo, on the other.

After all is said and done, I know that the three big tribes have one thing in common: a desire to exploit the resources of the minorities. This is the only place they are united. But the Ogonis and other minorities have decided they would not tolerate this situation any longer. After watching the politics of the big three, I will state categorically that it is the precipitate actions of the Igbos that brought us to this present predicament and the onus is on them to join alliances with forces that will extricate us from the present situation. I am not asking them to lead. They are war weary. This is understandable. They should, however understand that Nigeria is not a better place for the Igbo man than for the Yoruba man. At present, the South has become an object of derision.

CONCLUSION: The Igbos should understand that the crisis facing the South today was directly or remotely caused by them. But because their leaders had not been sincere to them, they have continuously propagated the lie that the West is responsible for their problem. A few facts should illuminate this:

In 1957, the North threatened to secede if independence was granted to Nigeria because they were not ready. Zik, was supposed to have reached an understanding with Awo to let the North go. But to Awo’s consternation, Zik formed an alliance with the North which succeeded in delaying independence and allowed the North to get ready.
In 1966, a group of young Igbo officers planned a coup that killed only non-Igbo politicians. Included among the politicians was Ahmadu Bello who was a god-like figure to the Northerners. Before you could say Jihad, all the Sabongaris were on fire and the pogrom that would lead to the civil war has started,
Instead of trying to seek immediate political solution to the crisis, the Igbos declared Biafra. They war lasted for 30 months. The Igbos lost everything. The Hausa-Fulani oligarchy took this defeat of Biafra as the conquest of the South. Since then, they have transformed the privilege of leadership into that of a birthright and they have used it not only to stunt the growth of the South but also to subject their people to a state of perpetual servitude and feudalistic iniquities.
[/i]http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/iarticles/igbo.htm
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:55am On Jul 17, 2011
Back on topic -

Some Igbos dislike Zik for various reasons.

One reason, which many Eastern Igbos dislike Zik for what happened to Eyo Ita. Him coming back to the East caused problems in the East among the minority groups and many seen this as a way of Igbo dominating the East. Prior to Zik coming back to the East, the minority were happy that one of their own could be a leader over a major ethnicity.

Another reason why he is dislike is due to the Biafra issue. He could not fully support Biafra, because of his love for One Nigeria and many Igbos see this as an act betrayal.
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EkoIle1: 3:57am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

Why can't you be quiet?

Ignorant illiterate troll like you really need to shut up when sane and rational people are talking.
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:57am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

Back on topic -

Some Igbos dislike Zik for various reasons.

One reason, which many Eastern Igbos dislike Zik for what happened to Eyo Ita. Him coming back to the East caused problems in the East among the minority groups and many seen this as a way of Igbo dominating the East. Prior to Zik coming back to the East, the minority were happy that one of their own could be a leader over a major ethnicity.

Another reason why he is dislike is due to the Biafra issue. He could not fully support Biafra, because of his love for One Nigeria and many Igbos see this as an act betrayal.

just like he wanted to dominate the west with a party majority igbo

or i am talking rubbish

face the truth for once
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by aljharem3: 3:58am On Jul 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Ignorant illiterate troll like you really need to shut up when sane and rational people are talking.

thank you, the guy never seizes to amaze me

he is so ONE MINDED and too PRO-IGBO to even reason outside the box
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by EzeUche(m): 3:59am On Jul 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Learn to stop talking when someone with a vastly superior intellect is talking. Not someone whose brain only runs on tribalism.
Re: Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins by Nobody: 4:00am On Jul 17, 2011
I thought Edem was withdrawing from tribalism? It's a turn off when a guy cannot control himself or keep his words. Just saying tho.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

What EFCC Does With Recovered Loot (Video) / Ministerial Nominee, Anthony Anwukah, Was Convicted By High Court For Corruption / Pictures Of President Tinubu On The Abuja Metro Rail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.