Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,685 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Samuel Ladoke Akintola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Samuel Ladoke Akintola (22851 Views)

Reminiscences: Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola 50 Years After - Abimbola Akintola / Samuel Ladoke Akintola's Unique Humor Sense / Samuel Ladoke Akintola The Yoruba Leader Unsung (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 11:27pm On Jul 30, 2010
Samuel Ladoke Akintola was the the 8th Aare Ona kakanfo of Yorubaland and Premier of Western region between 1959 and 1966

Under his rule the Western Region grew in leap and bounds.

His rift with Chief Obafemi Awolowo was well documented and many concluded he betrayed Awolowo.

Can anyone shed light on what you know about the 8th General of the Yoruba Army and Premier of the Western region?

Note: Any tribalistic comment by the usual brigade would be deleted and reported to the mods
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 11:47pm On Jul 30, 2010
Akintola aligned with Bello and Balewa and in the process, turned western nigeria into a battle ground. Akintola succeeded in ensuring that his supporters were rewarded with several positions in Nigeria while Western Nigeria was burning.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by asha80(m): 11:50pm On Jul 30, 2010
Was Akintola a moslem?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 11:51pm On Jul 30, 2010
Why did Akintola have to align with Bello and Balewa.

How did he betray Awolowo?

Who turned the South West to a battle ground? I am sure Akintola was not fighting himself, Who was he fighting with.

The SW had a lot of development during SL Akintolas rule and I see him as a worthy Yoruba icon
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 11:51pm On Jul 30, 2010
asha 80:

Was Akintola a moslem?

His first name was Samuel which doesnt look like an Islamic name

1 Like

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 31, 2010
Dayo, pardon my ignorance, but what/who is/are an Aare Ona kakanfo

What are they supposed to do? Or are they the same thing as "Oba" of Yorubaland?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by bkbabe97y(m): 12:15am On Jul 31, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

What are they supposed to do? Or are they the same thing as "Oba" of Yorubaland?

You know. . . . theres something called "Google"!
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 12:21am On Jul 31, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Aare Ona kakanfo is the generalissimo of the Yoruba Army. The last one was MKO Abiola.

In Ancient custom the Aare leads the Army and he is supposed to win all wars or die in battle

Its not a title for the faint hearted and only the Alaafin appoints the strongest manto the post

http://www.yoruba.org/magazine/spring97/s4.html
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by AndreUweh(m): 12:24am On Jul 31, 2010
Are Ona Kakanfo: Is a sort of supreme military commander of of the ancient Oyo empire. But this days, non military men are made Are Ona Kakanfo e.g Abiola.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Nobody: 12:27am On Jul 31, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Are Ona Kakanfo: Is a sort of supreme military commander of of the ancient Oyo empire. But this days, non military men are made Are Ona Kakanfo e.g Abiola.
dayokanu:

Aare Ona kakanfo is the generalissimo of the Yoruba Army. The last one was MKO Abiola.

In Ancient custom the Aare leads the Army and he is supposed to win all wars or die in battle

Its not a title for the faint hearted and only the Alaafin appoints the strongest manto the post

I see. Thanks guys. I'll check up on it.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 12:32am On Jul 31, 2010
dayokanu:

Why did Akintola have to align with Bello and Balewa.

How did he betray Awolowo?

Who turned the South West to a battle ground? I am sure Akintola was not fighting himself, Who was he fighting with.

The SW had a lot of development during SL Akintolas rule and I see him as a worthy Yoruba icon

He aligned with the Northerners because he was expelled from the AG and removed as premier. He went to court to challenge the appointment of Adegbenro as the new premier. The ensuing crisis led to a state of emergency being declared in the West. With Awo in prison due to trumped up charges, he forms a new party, NNDP with Ayo Rosiji and recruits a few NCNC heavyweights such as Akinjide, Akinloye, TOS Benson. They align with the Northerners and with their help, win the court case in 63 and rig the elections in 1965. Its no surprise that the same individuals who went with Akintola were never accepted by Yoruba people and kept aligning with Northerners. Akinloye, Akinjide, Rosiji were all NPN stalwarts in the 2nd republic.

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 12:37am On Jul 31, 2010
dayokanu:

Aare ona kakanfo was the general of the oyo empire, so powerful, he wasn't allowed to live in oyo and could only live in one of oyo empire's outpost towns. The position became less formidable with the fall of the oyo empire in the early part of the 19th century. Over time, it became a political position.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 12:59am On Jul 31, 2010
Dayokanu,

I am still awaiting your response.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Nobody: 1:09am On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Dayokanu,

I am still awaiting your response.
Googles doesnt work that fast lol
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 1:16am On Jul 31, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Googles does work that fast lol

Are you suggesting Dayo is googling right now? grin
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by KnowAll(m): 1:58am On Jul 31, 2010
[size=14pt]Akintola factor breed the seed of discontent in Yorubaland. The last thuggish brigand in that motley crew of professional election riggers and creator of fear in the populace was the famous Adedibu of late, the death of Adedibu was the final blow of a secessionist group who don't believe in conformity and are almost always in alley with the Hausa / Fulani.

Unfortunately the man that made use of the last remininant of these political machinery in gaining political relevance today is Alao Akala. But with the death of Adedibu,  Akala has renegade from the Akintola school of thought and thrown his support behind Jonathan. It is this formidable political machinery that IBB was banking on in launching his campaign in Ibadan but since the Governor of the day is not in support of his candidacy it will be a tall order for IBB despite  Akala's differences with the Alaafin and the Olubadan, clearly just doing the maths I do not see how Akala is going to win the election come 2011, but don't be suprised Akala has learnt from the Akintola school of thought where the boldest man carries the day.

I must be cautious about hastily concluding on Akala turning his back on this formidable political machinery, one thing I do know and I can swear on is Oyo state is one state I know that elections would be be rigged come rain OR sunshine in 2011 that is because Akala has turned the Akintola bravado into his own advantage, his annoucement earlier this week that there is no opposition in Oyo State and that he would sweep the poll is a coded message to Jonthan that he has  the wearweathal to pull a victory from the jaws of defeat provided the presidency provides all the necessary logistics , just the way OBJ used to do it,  backing  Adedibu up to the hilt.

I am afraid Akintola's legacy is one legacy we Yoruba's can do without.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 2:33am On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

He aligned with the Northerners because he was expelled from the AG and removed as premier. He went to court to challenge the appointment of Adegbenro as the new premier. The ensuing crisis led to a state of emergency being declared in the West. With Awo in prison due to trumped up charges, he forms a new party, NNDP with Ayo Rosiji and recruits a few NCNC heavyweights such as Akinjide, Akinloye, TOS Benson. They align with the Northerners and with their help, win the court case in 63 and rig the elections in 1965. Its no surprise that the same individuals who went with Akintola were never accepted by Yoruba people and kept aligning with Northerners. Akinloye, Akinjide, Rosiji were all NPN stalwarts in the 2nd republic.

Why was he expelled from the AG and removed as Premier.

He went to court and challenged the appointment of Adegbenro (This is still a legal thing to do and he hasnt violated any law by so-doing)

WHy was he expelled from a party he helped form and was a Premier?

MKO was a prominent NPN member, How come you are not associating him with Akintola?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 2:39am On Jul 31, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Akintola factor breed the seed of discontent in Yorubaland. The last thuggish brigand in that motley crew of professional election riggers and creator of fear in the populace was the famous Adedibu of late, the death of Adedibu was the final blow of a secessionist group who don't believe in conformity and are almost always in alley with the Hausa / Fulani.

Unfortunately the man that made use of the last remininant of these political machinery in gaining political relevance today is Alao Akala. But with the death of Adedibu,  Akala has renegade from the Akintola school of thought and thrown his support behind Jonathan. It is this formidable political machinery that IBB was banking on in launching his campaign in Ibadan but since the Governor of the day is not in support of his candidacy it will be a tall order for IBB despite  Akala's differences with the Alaafin and the Olubadan, clearly just doing the maths I do not see how Akala is going to win the election come 2011, but don't be suprised Akala has learnt from the Akintola school of thought where the boldest man carries the day.

I must be cautious about hastily concluding on Akala turning his back on this formidable political machinery, one thing I do know and I can swear on is Oyo state is one state I know that elections would be be rigged come rain OR sunshine in 2011 that is because Akala has turned the Akintola bravado into his own advantage, his annoucing earlier this week that there is no opposition in Oyo State and that he would sweep the poll is a coded message to Jonthan that he has  the wearweathal to pull a victory from the jaws of defeat provided the presidency provides all the necessary logistics , just the way OBJ used to do it,  backing  Adedibu up to the hilt.

I am afraid Akintola's legacy is one legacy we Yoruba's can do without.[/size]

In all you said you havent stated what Akintola's sins are

How did the leader of AG become all these things you attached with him.

How you managed to associate Adedibu with Akintola is ingenious

Adedibu was an Action Group member and I am not sure he joined the NNDP which Akintola founded. How you now managed to link Akala also with Akintola deserves a nobel prize in conspiracy theories

For Gods sake tell us how Akala and Akintola are related
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tpiah: 3:13am On Jul 31, 2010
na every "temedo" just dey claim yoruba these days. . . . . . . . . .
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by seanet02: 3:19am On Jul 31, 2010
Very informative thread. Please keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by KnowAll(m): 4:24am On Jul 31, 2010
In all you said you havent stated what Akintola's sins are

This is what Akintola's sins are

They align with the Northerners and with their help, win the court case in 63 and rig the elections in 1965. Its no surprise that the same individuals who went with Akintola were never accepted by Yoruba people and kept aligning with Northerners. Akinloye, Akinjide, Rosiji were all NPN stalwarts in the 2nd republic

How did the leader of AG become all these things you attached with him.

Adedibu's mentorer was Cheif SO Lanlehin, Lanhelin was a founding member of the Ibadan People's Party, this party was opposed to the AG as far back as 1951. The fact that Adedibu was in AG does not make him a die hard awoist his natural leanings was with his kith and kin in IPP. AG only provided the thuggish Adedibu with a job, everyman needs a job hence he being at AG, u have to bear in mind that Adedibu was not the most educated of men and having a job being a party chairman is big deal for a stark illetrate.

Adedibu was introduced to politics during the pre-independence period by Ibadan politician, Samuel Lanlehin. During the Western regional crisis of the 1960s, he was arraigned on allegations bordering on thuggery along with his friend Lamidi Alasaro. IPP later became NCNC NNDP which Akintola formed carrying all founding member's of Ibadan Peoples party with them.

The Ibadan Peoples Party (IPP) was established on June 15, 1951, by a group of eminent Ibadan indigenes who opposed the politics of tribalism and personality, which held sway in the Yorùbá dominated Western Region, Nigeria in the 1950s. Its founding chairman was Chief Augustus Akinloye, and the other founders were; Chief Adegoke Adelabu, Chief Kola Balogun, Chief T.O.S Benson, Chief Adeniran Ogunsanya and Chief H.O. Davies. The other leaders of the IPP were: Chief S. A. Akinyemi, Chief S. O. Lanlehin, Chief Moyo Aboderin, Chief Samuel Lana, HRH Chief D. T. Akinbiyi, Chief S. Ajunwon, Chief S. Aderonmu, Chief R. S. Baoku, Chief Akin Allen and Chief Akinniyi Olunloyo

How you managed to associate Adedibu with Akintola is ingenious

Akintola's NNDP later became NPN and PDP subsequently, and what happened to our man Adedibu he naturally flowed with his mentorer's co-patriot into first NPN and later PDP that is the link between Akintola and Adedibu.

Adedibu was an Action Group member and I am not sure he joined the NNDP which Akintola founded. How you now managed to link Akala also with Akintola deserves a nobel prize in conspiracy theories

He did not join NNDP because he had a job, would a man who did not go to school jettison a cushy job as chairman of AG in Ibadan to being a bit and small time player in a smaller party of IPP which later became NCNC WHICH later became NNDP, I doubt it. Akala is a by-product of his God father, his God father had very strong affirnity with NNDP through his mentorer Chief SO Lanlehin, that link filters down to Akala.

For Gods sake tell us how Akala and Akintola are related

I have already told you. undecided

1 Like

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by olaolabiy: 4:28am On Jul 31, 2010
katsumoto,
your analysis is jaundiced and one-sided. i am no fan of akintola but the genesis of his diagreement with awolowo was not addressed by you. the disagreement came about as a result of awolowo's inordinate ambition. he left the position of premier to contest at the federal level, after losing, he contacted akintola saying he wanted the position of premier back (that akintola should vacate the seat for him), akintola refused hence the unrest that followed.
tell me, how many mortals would leave just like that in today's nigeria? this is similar to an impeached governor telling his deputy, whom he brought to power , to refuse to be sworn as governor and remain loyal to him by resigning as well. is this possible ? who has done so before, please?
you really have a good grasp of history/politics but you also have to be fair-minded.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 5:14am On Jul 31, 2010
Ola Olabiyi,

Thank you very much. I was waiting for them to open the main issue but they have dribbled around it.

Akintola's main crime was that he did not vacate the position of the Premier.

Have we asked ourselves in that situation who was being unreasonable?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 5:19am On Jul 31, 2010
This is what Akintola's sins are

They align with the Northerners and with their help, win the court case in 63 and rig the elections in 1965. Its no surprise that the same individuals who went with Akintola were never accepted by Yoruba people and kept aligning with Northerners. Akinloye, Akinjide, Rosiji were all NPN stalwarts in the 2nd republic

Akintola was Awolowo and AG leader, How come he needed to align with the Northerners? What made him align with the Northerners? Was it the Northerners that made him party leaders pre-1959? You are skipping some important points

Akintola as at 1959 was party leader of the AG by 1962 he needed support of the Northerners to win a court case,

What happened in between that made a party leader need the help of the Northern leaders, Why and How did he fall out of favour?

Fact was Adedibu was an AG member he was never a NNDP member so I would think Adedibu probably was in AG and Awolowos camp rather than in Akintolas
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 8:26am On Jul 31, 2010
waiting for Katsumoto
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by seanet02: 9:14am On Jul 31, 2010
@knowall you are absolutely right. I stand by you.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 10:29am On Jul 31, 2010
ola olabiy:

katsumoto,
your analysis is jaundiced and one-sided. i am no fan of akintola but the genesis of his diagreement with awolowo was not addressed by you. the disagreement came about as a result of awolowo's inordinate ambition. he left the position of premier to contest at the federal level, after losing, he contacted akintola saying he wanted the position of premier back (that akintola should vacate the seat for him), akintola refused hence the unrest that followed.
tell me, how many mortals would leave just like that in today's nigeria? this is similar to an impeached governor telling his deputy, whom he brought to power , to refuse to be sworn as governor and remain loyal to him by resigning as well. is this possible ? who has done so before, please?
you really have a good grasp of history/politics but you also have to be fair-minded.

dayokanu:

Akintola was Awolowo and AG leader, How come he needed to align with the Northerners? What made him align with the Northerners? Was it the Northerners that made him party leaders pre-1959? You are skipping some important points

Akintola as at 1959 was party leader of the AG by 1962 he needed support of the Northerners to win a court case,

What happened in between that made a party leader need the help of the Northern leaders, Why and How did he fall out of favour?

Fact was Adedibu was an AG member he was never a NNDP member so I would think Adedibu probably was in AG and Awolowos camp rather than in Akintolas

Awolowo was the leader of the Action Group and was premier of the western region. In 59, the AG asked him to go to the federal house of representatives, he duly obliged and switched positions with Akintola. As leader of the party, it was Awo's right to provide direction of the party but as soon as Akintola became premier, he started doing things his own way rather than follow the party's directives.

1. In the Economic mission trip of 1961 to Europe, Akintola changed the party representatives and took his own men. Awolowo looked the other way so as not to have a confrontation.
2. Then came the renewal of board appointments in the Western region. Again Akintola replaced all of them with his own loyalists. Again Awo looked the other way to avoid a confrontation. Akintola was clearly trying to turn the party into his own.
3. Akintola tried to increase the contribution of locals to secondary schools which Awo resisted. Akintola was lamblasted by the press for trying to do that.
4. Then Akintola tried to get the party to drop its ideology of democratic socialism. He wasn't happy with the idea of the Western govt bank-rolling many projects.
5. Akintola and Ayo Rosiji (National secretary of AG) were stripped of their positions at the AG annual convention in Jos in 1962. Awo subsequently asks Akintola to resign his position at a meeting with the leaders of the western region and mid-western. Akintola writes to Sir Adesoji Aderemi (Governor) of the region and to the speaker of the region's House of Assembly calling for the dissolution of the House and
for an emergency meeting of the House to test his popularity; but is ignored.
6. The AG parliementary body elects Soroye Adegbenro as the new premier of the region. Akintola calls on Balewa to sack Adegbenro. Governor states that Akintola had been sacked while Akintola states that he sacked the Governor. Akintola, consequently goes to Ibadan high court to restrain Aderemi from sacking him.
7. There was a riot in the Western House of Assembly in May 1962 caused by Akintola and his suporters; Adedibu makes his entrance as a thug. Akintola and Ayo Rosiji are expelled from the party subsequently.
8. Akintola's new pals, Balewa and Bello, declare a state of emergency in the west and dissolve the western house and sack Adegbenro and Sir Aderemi. Akintola subsequently wins his lawsuit and returns as premier in 1963. He wins his lawsuit as Law luminary, Rotimi Williams, is barred by a petition raised by Akintola, from representing Sir Aderemi.
9. With Awo in prison due to trumped up charges, Akintola forms a new party, NNDP with Ayo Rosiji and recruits a few NCNC heavyweights such as Akinjide, Akinloye, TOS Benson. NNDP then aligns with NPC and rigs the election in 1965.

That was also the genesis of Oyo politicians always teaming up with Northerners in subsequent elections. Little wonder why Akintola, Akinjide, Akinloye, Adedibu are hated in the West while Awo is still reverred today by all.

I am not saying it was all Akintola's fault. Awo had some minor faults as well. For instance, Awo in a show of strength, visited the Oshun division which happens to be Akintola's homebase against advice from AG leaders such as Rotimi Williams. But the fact still remains that it is only an unpopular man that will require the help of outsiders to be able to govern his house. Akintola lost out in the West because the people did not want his leadership or direction.

4 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tpiah: 3:06pm On Jul 31, 2010
Little wonder why Akintola, Akinjide, Akinloye, Adedibu are hated in the West

rather a general statement.

i'd say maybe hated by some factions in the west.

adedibu for example [doesnt mean i'm a fan of his]- the whole of ibadan almost shut down for his funeral.

That was also the genesis of Oyo politicians always teaming up with Northerners in subsequent elections

i doubt it's a new thing, going by the kwara example.

but maybe in that time frame sha, you could be right.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by olaolabiy: 3:49pm On Jul 31, 2010
katsumoto,
be more objective, please.
university of ife was built dring akintola's term. a plaque erected to celebrate him has now been removed at the said uni. who did that? also, you need to undertand what politics is all about. it is not a clean game (no game is ever clean). in politics, no permanent friendship, but permanent interest. i am baba awo's fan. i see awo as a technocrat with a discerning mind. but, akintola was great too. where you have great minds, there could be ensuing unrest.
be informed that akintola was, may be, the best orator western nigeria ever produced.
just accord him that 'bit' of respect that he deserves.
got me drift?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by msaalli(m): 3:54pm On Jul 31, 2010
@Katsumoto thanks for the clear analysis. Was surprised to read someone saying something about Awo wanting to return to the premiership.

While there are no demons or angels in politics, it remains that unless elected as an independent, an elected official has to follow through with the core of his party's ideas, goals and policies. That is the ideal concept of party supremacy.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by OAM4J: 4:14pm On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Awolowo was the leader of the Action Group and was premier of the western region. In 59, the AG asked him to go to the federal house of representatives, he duly obliged and switched positions with Akintola. As leader of the party, it was Awo's right to provide direction of the party but as soon as Akintola became premier, he started doing things his own way rather than follow the party's directives.

1. In the Economic mission trip of 1961 to Europe, Akintola changed the party representatives and took his own men. Awolowo looked the other way so as not to have a confrontation.
2. Then came the renewal of board appointments in the Western region. Again Akintola replaced all of them with his own loyalists. Again Awo looked the other way to avoid a confrontation. Akintola was clearly trying to turn the party into his own.
3. Akintola tried to increase the contribution of locals to secondary schools which Awo resisted. Akintola was lamblasted by the press for trying to do that.
4. Then Akintola tried to get the party to drop its ideology of democratic socialism. He wasn't happy with the idea of the Western govt bank-rolling many projects.
5. Akintola and Ayo Rosiji (National secretary of AG) were stripped of their positions at the AG annual convention in Jos in 1962. Awo subsequently asks Akintola to resign his position at a meeting with the leaders of the western region and mid-western. Akintola writes to Sir Adesoji Aderemi (Governor) of the region and to the speaker of the region's House of Assembly calling for the dissolution of the House and
for an emergency meeting of the House to test his popularity; but is ignored.
6. The AG parliementary body elects Soroye Adegbenro as the new premier of the region. Akintola calls on Balewa to sack Adegbenro. Governor states that Akintola had been sacked while Akintola states that he sacked the Governor. Akintola, consequently goes to Ibadan high court to restrain Aderemi from sacking him.
7. There was a riot in the Western House of Assembly in May 1962 caused by Akintola and his suporters; Adedibu makes his entrance as a thug. Akintola and Ayo Rosiji are expelled from the party subsequently.
8. Akintola's new pals, Balewa and Bello, declare a state of emergency in the west and dissolve the western house and sack Adegbenro and Sir Aderemi. Akintola subsequently wins his lawsuit and returns as premier in 1963. He wins his lawsuit as Law luminary, Rotimi Williams, is barred by a petition raised by Akintola, from representing Sir Aderemi.
9. With Awo in prison due to trumped up charges, Akintola forms a new party, NNDP with Ayo Rosiji and recruits a few NCNC heavyweights such as Akinjide, Akinloye, TOS Benson. NNDP then aligns with NPC and rigs the election in 1965.

That was also the genesis of Oyo politicians always teaming up with Northerners in subsequent elections. Little wonder why Akintola, Akinjide, Akinloye, Adedibu are hated in the West while Awo is still reverred today by all.

I am not saying it was all Akintola's fault. Awo had some minor faults as well. For instance, Awo in a show of strength, visited the Oshun division which happens to be Akintola's homebase against advice from AG leaders such as Rotimi Williams. But the fact still remains that it is only an unpopular man that will require the help of outsiders to be able to govern his house. Akintola lost out in the West because the people did not want his leadership or direction.

Interesting. Have had bit and pieces of this story before, but not well synchronized as you have done. Are you an historian?

Also what do you know about the coca-cola deal? heard it was part of the rift between the two.

ola olabiy:

katsumoto,
be more objective, please.
university of ife was built dring akintola's term. a plaque erected to celebrate him has now been removed at the said uni. who did that? also, you need to undertand what politics is all about. it is not a clean game (no game is ever clean). in politics, no permanent friendship, but permanent interest. i am baba awo's fan. i see awo as a technocrat with a discerning mind. but, akintola was great too. where you have great minds, there could be ensuing unrest.
be informed that akintola was, may be, the best orator western nigeria ever produced.
just accord him that 'bit' of respect that he deserves.
got me drift?

Really? why was it now named after Awolowo instead of Akintola?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 5:10pm On Jul 31, 2010
msaalli:

@Katsumoto thanks for the clear analysis. Was surprised to read someone saying something about Awo wanting to return to the premiership.

While there are no demons or angels in politics, it remains that unless elected as an independent, an elected official has to follow through with the core of his party's ideas, goals and policies. That is the ideal concept of party supremacy.

Correct, a party should be bigger than any individual. Akintola used his position to reward his loyalists and then tried to change party ideology.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Femi Gbajabiamila Arrives National Assembly "Speaker Contestant" / Jonathan Has Failed Nigerians - Dokubo Asari / Osinbajo At The Senior Course 37 Grad Ceremony Armed Forces College (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.