Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Samuel Ladoke Akintola - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Samuel Ladoke Akintola (22858 Views)

Reminiscences: Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola 50 Years After - Abimbola Akintola / Samuel Ladoke Akintola's Unique Humor Sense / Samuel Ladoke Akintola The Yoruba Leader Unsung (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 9:11pm On Aug 02, 2010
dayokanu:

I dont get you,
When you argued that Akintolas legacy brought Adedibu and thuggery into Politics despite that Adedibu was never in Akintolas party when the latter was alive, You were fine with it,

When I countered that Awolowo encouraged the Military rule with evidence of how he willingly worked under a Gowon regime who has no ideology for several years- You took your bow.

Would Awolowo have done that? grin grin grin grin grin

Not all dots connect but you were connecting dots that were all over the place just to discredit Awolowo. As a descendant of Akintola, you are free to defend his (Akintola) legacies but attempting to discredit Awo is another issue. You are attempting to blame Awo for the first coup and second coup in Nigeria. How was Awo responsible for the murder of Military and political leaders in the West and North by some Igbo sons? I didn't want to address it initially because I did not want to follow your pattern of digression. You will soon argue that the first coup plotters were AG carrying members. I don't really want to have a debate about the first coup just to prove Awo's innocence because it not only removes from the current debate but it could also lead down a path which could become tribal as the Igbo sons join the debate.

Mind you, when the plotters struck, the politicians that they went after were the ones accused of corruption in the North and West. Akintola and Fani-Kayode were the only Western politicians targeted with Akintola being the only Western politician murdered. No AG politician was targeted. The plotters did not strike just because the populace in the West revolted against a leader (Akintola) that was forced on them; there were other reasons for their actions. If you want to have this debate about connecting Awo to coup plotters, please be ready to post facts rather than conjecture.

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by hercules07: 9:18pm On Aug 02, 2010
@Katsumoto

I admire your patience, it is a great virtue. It is patently obvious that the original poster is trying to revise history. We the yorubas have seen the benefit of having Awolowo as a leader, we see the Akinloyes, Akintolas and others who had positions of authority and used it for their own benefit as traitors, they had the opportunity of being sons but chose to be slaves.
We know Awolowo as a human being had his faults but as a leader, he was second to none. I never knew Akintola wanted to enforce feudalism but if it is true, may he rot in hell. Can you imagine the west as backward as the core north? Does the OP expect yorubas to stand up for such a man? The greatest equalizers in life are education and the internet, and Akintola wanted to take away the only equalizer of that time? Atun ku e lona Orun.

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 9:26pm On Aug 02, 2010
hercules07:

@Katsumoto

I admire your patience, it is a great virtue. It is patently obvious that the original poster is trying to revise history. We the yorubas have seen the benefit of having Awolowo as a leader, we see the Akinloyes, Akintolas and others who had positions of authority and used it for their own benefit as traitors, they had the opportunity of being sons but chose to be slaves.
We know Awolowo as a human being had his faults but as a leader, he was second to none. I never knew Akintola wanted to enforce feudalism but if it is true, may he rot in hell. Can you imagine the west as backward as the core north? Does the OP expect yorubas to stand up for such a man? The greatest equalizers in life are education and the internet, and Akintola wanted to take away the only equalizer of that time? Atun ku e lona Orun.

That is my view as well; like all leaders, he had his faults but overall, his actions served Oduduwa very well. Apart from his well known policies which served Oduduwa very well, many people do not know the part in ensuring that the West did not become a battle ground during the civil war. After the very turbulent and destructive era of 62 - 65, Awo was not prepared to let the West become embrolied in the war.

Not that Awo was not a rich man but he at least provided for his people through his policies unlike the likes of Akinloye, Akinjide, Fani-kayode who enriched themselves by association with the feudal North.

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by OAM4J: 9:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
For me i appreciate the light shown by both Dayokanu and Katsumoto. These men (Awo and Akintola) both have their virtues and weaknesses.

But overall I think Awo is more revere because his leadership, policies and style benefited the Yorubas more.

Somehow, joining mainstream politics have not achieved much progress for us in the west, present PDP control states in the west are good examples.

More reason why I support/advocate for true federalism may be on the region line or state line.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 9:44pm On Aug 02, 2010
OAM4J:

For me i appreciate the light shown by both Dayokanu and Katsumoto. These men (Awo and Akintola) both have their virtues and weaknesses.

But overall I think Awo is more revere because his leadership, policies and style benefited the Yorubas more.

Somehow, joining mainstream politics have not achieved much progress for us in the west, present PDP control states in the west is a good example.

More reason why I support/advocate for true federalism may be on the region line or state line.

That is because, Obasanjo in his quest to be the most relevant and powerful Yoruba son, foisted thugs and thieves such as Akala, Gbenga Daniel, Omisore, and Oyinlola on the West. The only non-PDP governor in the West, Fashola is better than all PDP politicians put together.

I am in favour of the regional/confederational system practised in the 50s and 60s. Failing that, I will go for true federalism.

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 9:48pm On Aug 02, 2010
Not all dots connect but you were connecting dots that were all over the place just to discredit Awolowo. As a descendant of Akintola, you are free to defend his (Akintola) legacies but attempting to discredit Awo is another issue. You are attempting to blame Awo for the first coup and second coup in Nigeria. How was Awo responsible for the murder of Military and political leaders in the West and North by some Igbo sons? I didn't want to address it initially because I did not want to follow your pattern of digression. You will soon argue that the first coup plotters were AG carrying members. I don't really want to have a debate about the first coup just to prove Awo's innocence because it not only removes from the current debate but it could also lead down a path which could become tribal as the Igbo sons join the debate.

Some questions. Do you think the crisis in the west formented by the A.G was unconnected to the coup?

Mind you, when the plotters struck, the politicians that they went after were the ones accused of corruption in the North and West. Akintola and Fani-Kayode were the only Western politicians targeted with Akintola being the only Western politician murdered. No AG politician was targeted. The plotters did not strike just because the populace in the West revolted against a leader (Akintola) that was forced on them; there were other reasons for their actions. If you want to have this debate about connecting Awo to coup plotters, please be ready to post facts rather than conjecture.

Dont answer this but why wasnt anyone attacked in the East

Read below. Dont respond cos it might bring other unwanted parties into this

Ejindu: All right. A lot has been talked and written about the January coup. But how tribalistic was it really in conception and execution?  

Nzeogwu: In the North, no. In the South, yes. We were five in number, and initially we knew quite clearly what we wanted to do. We had a short list of people who were either undesirable for the future progress of the country or who by their positions at the time had to be sacrificed for peace and stability. Tribal considerations were completely out of our minds at this stage. But we had a set-back in the execution. Both of us in the North did our best. But the other three who were stationed in the South failed because of incompetence and misguided considerations in the eleventh hour. The most senior among them was in charge of a whole brigade and had all the excuse and opportunity in the world to mobilize his troops anywhere, anyhow and any time. He did it badly. In Lagos, even allowing for one or two genuine mistakes, the job was badly done. The Mid-West was never a big problem. But in the East, our major target, nothing practically was done. He and the others let us down.  

Who were the soldiers attached to the east?

http://maxsiollun./2008/02/20/interview-with-major-nzeogwu/
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 9:49pm On Aug 02, 2010
hercules07:

@Katsumoto

Whats your own definition of a traitor? Someone who refused to step down for Awolowo?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 9:56pm On Aug 02, 2010
OAM4J:

Somehow, joining mainstream politics have not achieved much progress for us in the west, present PDP control states in the west is a good example.

When you join mainstream politics, You go there with an agenda and just not to join a circus.

When Akintola joined forces with the mainstream, He used his position to the benefit of Yorubas. he made sure a Yoruba an was appointed V.C of UNILAG which was against what the NCNC Eni Njoku

Another one

When Chief Richard Akinjide took over the Federal
Ministry of Education, he was presented with a list of
nominees for award of federal government scholarship.
Ninety Eight percent of Southern nominees on that list
were Igbos; the Yorubas, the Midwesterners, the Efiks,
the Ibibios, the Ijaws, the Kalabaris etc shared the
remaining two percent.

Chief Akinjide rejected that list and ordered the
compilation of a more balanced list. A majority of the
Yorubas and other non-Igbo Southerners who benefitted
from federal government scholarship awards that year
had Chief S.L. Akintola, the N.N.D.P. and Chief
Akinjide to thank for their good fortune

http://www.dawodu.com/agbe1.htm
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 10:00pm On Aug 02, 2010
dayokanu:

Who were the soldiers attached to the east?

There were 8 majors and 1 captain. All were accounted for in the operation of the coup. There were no soldiers in the East. I don't want to go into details.

dayokanu:

Some questions. Do you think the crisis in the west formented by the A.G was unconnected to the coup?

Dont answer this but why wasnt anyone attacked in the East

The only person killed that was directly connected to the AG crisis was Akintola. So in addition to Yoruba people holding him responsible for the Wild wild west, he was equally seen as the problem in the West by the Easterners. Also, that people in the East were not killed does not mean that those killed were innocent.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 10:02pm On Aug 02, 2010
Dayo

Please quote your sources properly. It appears that you do not want us to read the articles wholesome. Instead you are pasting sections that suit your argument without properly quoting sources. I am sure you know that is plagiarism.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 10:09pm On Aug 02, 2010
There were 8 majors and 1 captain. All were accounted for in the operation of the coup. There were no soldiers in the East. I don't want to go into details.

Ejindu: All right. A lot has been talked and written about the January coup. But how tribalistic was it really in conception and execution?

Nzeogwu: In the North, no. In the South, yes. We were five in number, and initially we knew quite clearly what we wanted to do. We had a short list of people who were either undesirable for the future progress of the country or who by their positions at the time had to be sacrificed for peace and stability. Tribal considerations were completely out of our minds at this stage. But we had a set-back in the execution. Both of us in the North did our best. But the other three who were stationed in the South failed because of incompetence and misguided considerations in the eleventh hour. The most senior among them was in charge of a whole brigade and had all the excuse and opportunity in the world to mobilize his troops anywhere, anyhow and any time. He did it badly. In Lagos, even allowing for one or two genuine mistakes, the job was badly done. The Mid-West was never a big problem. But in the East, our major target, nothing practically was done. He and the others let us down.

When I read that I wanted to know who was attached to the east and searched found this

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui15.htm

That shows no soldier was attached to the east. Which only shows that the 1966 guys had no plans for the east. Stop any comment on the coup here.

The only person killed that was directly connected to the AG crisis was Akintola. So in addition to Yoruba people holding him responsible for the Wild wild west, he was equally seen as the problem in the West by the Easterners. Also, that people in the East were not killed does not mean that those killed were innocent.

What was the crime of Okotie-Eboh?

Brigadier Ademulegun, Brigadier
Maimalari, Colonel Shodeinde, Col. Largema, Col. Pam
etc could pass for corrupt politicians. As for the
murdered politicians, Sir Ahmadu Bello, Sir Abubakar
Tafawa Balewa, Chief S. L. Akintola and Chief F. S.
Okotie-Eboh, I present this article as a challenge to
anybody to catalogue sins exclusive to them which
could not be found in any Ibo politician, none of whom
lost a single hair of their head.

http://www.dawodu.com/agbe1.htm
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ayinba1(f): 10:23pm On Aug 02, 2010
hercules07:

@Katsumoto

I find the above pretty distasteful. This discussion has been fairly intellectual so far, pls do not ruin it. Katsumoto, caution when people comment on the extremes, even if they agree with you. And no! I disagree to the comment that to yorubas or most yorubas, Awolowo is considered a god.'some Yorubas' is more Like it. Dayokanu, thanks for not catching hercule's bait.
overall, we are all learning from these exchanges. Remember also, history is as the historians write it and you will get multiple versions. The onus lies on you to make your choice
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 10:28pm On Aug 02, 2010
dayokanu:

When I read that I wanted to know who was attached to the east and searched found this

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui15.htm

That shows no soldier was attached to the east. Which only shows that the 1966 guys had no plans for the east. Stop any comment on the coup here.

I don't get the point you are making; at this point, I am sorry to state that your argument is disjointed. I am not a defender of the Jan 1966 coup but I will have you know that there were two objectives to that coup. One was a noble objective which was espoused by Nzeogwu and Ademoyega while their was a tribal element to it as espoused by Ifeajuna.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 10:29pm On Aug 02, 2010
So Ayinba, Did you hear about the Western region A.G crisis and whats your own opinion about it?

Katsumoto:

I don't get the point you are making; at this point, I am sorry to state that your argument is disjointed. I am not a defender of the Jan 1966 coup but I will have you know that there were two objectives to that coup. One was a noble objective which was espoused by Nzeogwu and Ademoyega while their was a tribal element to it as espoused by Ifeajuna.

I dont want us to dwell much on the January coup cos i dont want the Igbos to come into it
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by msaalli(m): 10:54pm On Aug 02, 2010
It might be interesting to have the OP point out where Awolowo laid claim to sole wisdom. Indeed in his many books as I have read, including "Path to Nigerian Greatness (1981)", he always spoke of the party doing this or that, never a personal achievement.

[b]"In all these, the Government of the Unity Party of Nigeria will go out in a big way to give subsidies to duly established co-operative farming groups and to the OPTICOMS, especially in respect of land preparations and housing. The provision of infrastructures and public including the construction of new feeder roads, and the immediate reconstruction of the old ones which are in ruins; the irrigation of the savannah and subsavannah areas of the country – all these are, in an underdeveloped economy like ours, the direct responsibilities of the Government. We are resolved to bear them, and do so effectively when we are brought to power.

The third cardinal programme is necessarily implied in every programme that is designed for the good of man. It is the provision of free health services for every Nigerian citizen. Lenin said it many years ago that “the productivity of a worker depends on his health.” Indeed, we would go further and say that the success of anything that calls for physical and mental efforts depends on good health. It is the resolve of the Unity Party of Nigeria that, when in power, it will make both curative and preventive health facilities available, free of charge, to all citizens of the Nigeria.

The fourth cardinal programme is full employment. Again, it is our iron resolve that, when elected into office, we shall pursue policies which will make it feasible for every Nigerian to be gainfully employed at all times. In other words, we are determined that the ugly and soul-depressing phenomena of unemployment and under-employment shall be no more, under the new dispensation."
[/b]

And as the OP has generously quoted on the people who wrote papers for him, they wrote the papers for the party and espoused the goals the party sought to achieve through its elected representatives. This is part of the demystification of office we need to preach. Awo was never a saint and as you and I had his flaws, maybe even worse than the average man, but it is irrelevant to set about to demonise him. His ability to deliver when entrusted in position is more important than his flaws IMO.

Also, the issue of people joining NNDP from NCNC can also be viewed from the point of an Adedibu and Akala crossing from APP (as it was then) to PDP in 2001/2002. It doesn't bestow any form of foresightedness on the action neither those it necessarily represent an evil, it all depends on the side of the divide you view it from.

Akintola, as a man, is different from Akintola as a politician and leader, the same way Maradona as a player is different from Maradona as a man and coach.

The OP has failed to acknowledge also in his diversions the role played by Awo in the keeping the economy on sound footing while serving under the Gowon leadership and his quitting when the goalpost for return to civil rule kept shifting. Examples shown from the Bush era about the failure of an economy's fundamental while fighting a war prove the importance of having a sound manager.

While not ascribing to the schools of thought that Akintola was evil or not, I believe as shown from history that his actions during the period this thread started with were fundamentally wrong and at divergence to the cause of his party and people. This does not take anything away from Akintola the man, but then there is no need to distort history.

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 11:20pm On Aug 02, 2010
And as the OP has generously quoted on the people who wrote papers for him, they wrote the papers for the party and espoused the goals the party sought to achieve through its elected representatives. This is part of the demystification of office we need to preach. Awo was never a saint and as you and I had his flaws, maybe even worse than the average man, but it is irrelevant to set about to demonise him. His ability to deliver when entrusted in position is more important than his flaws IMO.

Its bad to demonise Awo but Ok to do same to Akintola by associating him with Adedibu who was never a NNDP member while Akintola was alive

Also, the issue of people joining NNDP from NCNC can also be viewed from the point of an Adedibu and Akala crossing from APP (as it was then) to PDP in 2001/2002. It doesn't bestow any form of foresightedness on the action neither those it necessarily represent an evil, it all depends on the side of the divide you view it from.

Didnt many Yoruba NCNC members cross carpet to the AG in the early 50's. The point was that Akintola managed to rally prominent elte and well educated Yoruba politicians around him to forge a common front for Yorubas instead of us having Awolowo/Akintola in AG and TOS Benson and others in NCNC. Akintola believes that Yoruba leaders need to be united to fight for our share of recognition in the Nation.

Akintola, as a man, is different from Akintola as a politician and leader, the same way Maradona as a player is different from Maradona as a man and coach.

The differences in both characters, Do you mind expatiating?

The OP has failed to acknowledge also in his diversions the role played by Awo in the keeping the economy on sound footing while serving under the Gowon leadership and his quitting when the goalpost for return to civil rule kept shifting. Examples shown from the Bush era about the failure of an economy's fundamental while fighting a war prove the importance of having a sound manager.

Serving and thereby approving of an illegitimate govt? You can argue that someone was a priest in a brothel who performed his priestly duties.

A military regime is fundamentally wrong. Many people would have declined working under a Military regime of Gowon under any conditions. Several Yoruba leaders declined to work under Abacha govt even when invited.

A prominent Awoist like Ebenezer Babatope accepted following in the footsteps of the sage Awo Doing exactly what Awo did many years earlier was roundly criticized.

Maybe Awo saw his position as VP would give him an advantage to be the president if Gowon ever left govt even if it meant working with crooks in uniform, Military govt should be roundly criticized by any democrat.

While not ascribing to the schools of thought that Akintola was evil or not, I[b] believe as shown from history that his actions during the period this thread started with were fundamentally wrong and at divergence to the cause of his party and people.[/b] This does not take anything away from Akintola the man, but then there is no need to distort history

What were this actions? Have you forgotten how Awo kicked against party leaders opinion and went to Lagos to throw his hat into the ring vs Bellos deputy. Akintola did his time as opposition leader with maturity and grace and was commended by friends and foes alike, How Awo and the A.G encouraged violence arson and lawlessness while Akintola always reverted to the court-The constitution which gave him victory

The distortion of history here was more from the Awo camp
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 11:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
dayokanu:

Didnt many Yoruba NCNC members cross carpet to the AG in the early 50's. The point was that Akintola managed to rally prominent elte and well educated Yoruba politicians around him to forge a common front for Yorubas instead of us having Awolowo/Akintola in AG and TOS Benson and others in NCNC. Akintola believes that Yoruba leaders need to be united to fight for our share of recognition in the Nation.

Please try to be objective. How can you call individuals who did not win elections in Yorubaland, Yoruba leaders? Can you tell us the achievement of Akinloye, Akinjide, Benson, Lamuye, and Lajide in the West other than they were appointed in positions by an NPC led government? Stop side-stepping this point. That they were all irrelevant after January 1966 is a testament to the fact that they were individuals who got their positions due to their own personal allegiances.

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 12:13am On Aug 03, 2010
^^ I thought the highest Awo got to after 1966 was being Finance Minister Under the Military?

Maybe the named people had too much dignity than to serve under an illegitimate government

Akinjide was Minister of Justice under a civilian government- A constitutional one

Adisa Akinloye - Served as Minister under Balewa- A constitutional government and legitimate one

TOS Benson served under civilian regimes

I dont know much about Alade lamuye
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 12:47am On Aug 03, 2010
dayokanu:

^^ I thought the highest Awo got to after 1966 was being Finance Minister Under the Military?

Maybe the named people had too much dignity than to serve under an illegitimate government

Akinjide was Minister of Justice under a civilian government- A constitutional one

Adisa Akinloye - Served as Minister under Balewa- A constitutional government and legitimate one

TOS Benson served under civilian regimes

I dont know much about Alade lamuye

They were all selected by Northerners for those positions; Benson was Minister in the 1st republic as part of the NPC/NCNC coalition. Akinloye was minister after Akintola switched sides in 63, Akinjide was minister under Shagari. That's the point I am making; they were rewarded handsomely for their brand of politics - look after self first. They did well for themselves. Awo wanted to be president of Nigeria; were you expecting him to try to be a state governor. Even though he wasn't successful in his bid; his lieutenants would control the West and mid-west for many years. AG turned into UPN which would later turn into SDP, and then AD. What happened to NNDP after Akintola died? Nothing. Awo followers would win many elections - Jakande, Onabanjo, Ajasin, Ige. Other followers would be power brokers for many years until their deaths- Rewane, Enahoro, Ayo Adebanjo, Adesanya.

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Tonim(f): 7:06am On Aug 03, 2010
I have learned a lot from this thread. Please keep it up people.

I want to make a comment :-

I think it was right for the AG to dismiss Akintola from
the party for anti-party activities. Also, Tafawa Balewa played a big role in the crises in the
west by siding with Akintola.

Balewa should have let the party (AG) determine the western premier after Akintola's
ouster (or have new elections conducted) rather than wielding his federal power as prime minister
and siding with Akintola. Abuse of power by Balewa played a big role in the crises
that ensued in the west in the early '60s.

It seems Akintola just wanted to hold on to power at all cost. It seems he did away
with any principle he had in exchange for holding on to power. Nevertheless, he accomplished
a lot for the west during his tenure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by hercules07: 8:03am On Aug 03, 2010
ayinba1:

I find the above pretty distasteful. This discussion has been fairly intellectual so far, pls do not ruin it. Katsumoto, caution when people comment on the extremes, even if they agree with you. And no! I disagree to the comment that to yorubas or most yorubas, Awolowo is considered a god.'some Yorubas' is more Like it. Dayokanu, thanks for not catching hercule's bait.
overall, we are all learning from these exchanges. Remember also, history is as the historians write it and you will get multiple versions. The onus lies on you to make your choice
Where in my post have I considered Awolowo as god, I saw him as human with his faults. I have qualified my statements regarding Akintola, if indeed he wanted to mess up the free education of his party, sent his son to eton and was going to introduce feudalism, then he was a traitor. Imagine an Are Ona Kakanfo trying to sell his people out to the North because of inordinate ambition. I will let the intellectual jibe slide for now.

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by sd6: 9:09am On Aug 03, 2010
He caused the Kano riot of 1953
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 2:08pm On Aug 03, 2010
They were all selected by Northerners for those positions; Benson was Minister in the 1st republic as part of the NPC/NCNC coalition. Akinloye was minister after Akintola switched sides in 63, Akinjide was minister under Shagari. That's the point I am making; they were rewarded handsomely for their brand of politics - look after self first. They did well for themselves

Big difference These guys worked for constitutional govts

Awo worked for an illegal govt
It takes a man of principle and not one without scruples to work for an illegitimate govt

Tonim:

I have learned a lot from this thread. Please keep it up people.

I want to make a comment :-

I think it was right for the AG to dismiss Akintola from
the party for anti-party activities. Also, Tafawa Balewa played a big role in the crises in the
west by siding with Akintola.

Balewa should have let the party (AG) determine the western premier after Akintola's
ouster (or have new elections conducted) rather than wielding his federal power as prime minister
and siding with Akintola. Abuse of power by Balewa paid a big role in the crises
that ensued in the west in the early '60s.

It seems Akintola just wanted to hold on to power at all cost. It seems he did away
with any principle he had in exchange for holding on to power. Nevertheless, he accomplished
a lot for the west during his tenure.

When Akintola had a grievanc, what did he do? Hw went to the court like an intellectual and won in court.

The other side took to the streets and starting dousing people with Petrol.

Did you remember the US elections of 2000? Al Gore vs George Bush Democrats thought the should have won and they didnt start operation wetie, they went to court lost and took it in good faith.

But we knew A.G resorted to violence instantly as a way of driving home their points.

This was probably where Adedibu and co learnt
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by toba1909(m): 2:10pm On Aug 03, 2010
SLA isn't in anyway a traitor or betrayal!
Come to think of it, Awolowo left his former post to see election into a higher position.
What do we call that?
Awolowo lost the election and decided to return to his former position
Is that done anywhere?

@ Katsmoto, those allegations you quoted as being the reason why Akintola was removed as Premier were FALSE.
Awolowo was able to effect such cause he was more or less the AG National Chairman, only appoint his stooges at various positions; so he can easily have his ways.
So what do you expect?
Both men aint saints you know!

@ dayokanu, SLA like my grandpa do call him was never a traitor.
What happened when Awolowo tried to relief him of his post was what right in all aspect.
Should the s/w be in Awolowo's coffer alone?
If Awolowo had won the election, will he come back to tell SLA to vacate the seat?

More to come!
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 2:17pm On Aug 03, 2010
Awo wanted to be president of Nigeria; were you expecting him to try to be a state governor. Even though he wasn't successful in his bid; his lieutenants would control the West and mid-west for many years. AG turned into UPN which would later turn into SDP, and then AD.

Wrong. Political parties changed a lot and many people mixed up.

e.g MKO Abiola was anti-Awo and he became SDP presidential flagbearer who won an election.

Awoists like Wole Oyelese and Ebenezer Babatope are in PDP

And many Awoists have been booted out into irrelevance to DPA and AD

Tinubu and Fashola are both in AC Atiku's party
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 2:18pm On Aug 03, 2010
The fact is Awo worked for an illegitimate government.

That is enough betrayal from a Democrat while several people would never do such
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tkb417(m): 2:22pm On Aug 03, 2010
dayokanu:

Wrong. Political parties changed a lot and many people mixed up.

e.g MKO Abiola was anti-Awo and he became SDP presidential flagbearer who won an election.

Awoists like Wole Oyelese and Ebenezer Babatope are in PDP

And many Awoists have been booted out into irrelevance to DPA and AD

Tinubu and Fashola are both in AC Atiku's party
ive restrained myself from commenting on this topic
but your flagrant use of inappropriate innuendos will trigger my pent up anger

1) How is AC Atikus party?

lets take it from there

Awo and Akintola are some of the greatest yorubas that ever lived and if the motive for this topic is to re-write history , then enjoy
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 2:25pm On Aug 03, 2010
tkb417:

ive restrained myself from commenting on this topic
but your flagrant use of inappropriate innuendos will trigger my pent up anger

lets take it from there

Awo and Akintola are some of the greatest yorubas that ever lived and if the motive for this topic is to re-write history , then enjoy

That became obvious from the first page.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Jarus(m): 3:21pm On Aug 03, 2010
I don't think the purpose of this thread is to revise history. It appears to me an attempt to challenge the generational belief that SLA was a traitor. This is the belief of many people in Yorubaland. His offence for being labelled an outcast is because he challenged Awo, who almost 100% of Yoruba idolize. There is no denying Awo's sagacity, but some of us believe Yorubas are being unfair to Akintola. Akintola deserves respect too pls.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 3:22pm On Aug 03, 2010

lets take it from there

Tinubu and Fashola are in the same party with Atiku an Hausaman.

The creation of AC was to give Atiku a platform to run for presidencyeveryone knows this unless you are trying to deny the obvious.

Atiku left PDP and months later he was presidential aspirant for the AC
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 3:27pm On Aug 03, 2010
Jarus:

I don't think the purpose of this thread is to revise history. It appears to me an attempt to challenge the generational belief that SLA was a traitor. This is the belief of many people in Yorubaland. His offence for being labelled an outcast is because he challenged Awo, who almost 100% of Yoruba idolize. There is no denying Awo's sagacity, but some of us believe Yorubas are being unfair to Akintola. Akintola deserves respect too pls.

Thank you Jarus. Anyone that brings a counter argument is trying to re-write history. I have told you the purpose of this  thread is to clarify the notion that Akintola was a traitor.

If A comes here and say that He would be right.

If B comes he and argue otherwise he would be tagged as re-writing history.

Lets just sit down and agree the world is flat so we wont be seen to be re-writing history.

Someone said Akintola groomed Adedibu and we were ready to accept that as history despite the fact that Adedibu was never in Akintolas party till SLA died.

When I said Awolowo supported an illegitimate military regime by working as Finance minister under Gowon (Which is a Fact) Now Dayokanu is attempting to re-write history

I brought out a Fact that Akintola followed the rule of law whenever aggrieved and went to the court.

while Awolowo and AG resorted to Arson and civil disturbances
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by toba1909(m): 3:29pm On Aug 03, 2010
Jarus:

Good explanation!

tkb417:

lets take it from there

Moreover, being of same tribe doesn't mean one should follow same ideology.
Let him answer if the AC Hausa's are traitors or the PDP Yoruba's are betrayals?

SLA broke a very strong jinx which no one could have been able to for resisting Awolowo from molesting him then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Was Che Guevara Killed By The CIA? / Lagos Police Headquarters Is On Fire. [photos] / "A New Sherrif Is In Town" By Femi Adesina- Special Adviser To Buhari On Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.