Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,129 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Samuel Ladoke Akintola - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Samuel Ladoke Akintola (22864 Views)

Reminiscences: Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola 50 Years After - Abimbola Akintola / Samuel Ladoke Akintola's Unique Humor Sense / Samuel Ladoke Akintola The Yoruba Leader Unsung (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2010
dayokanu:

he was impeached, and he did the legal thing, Contested the decision in court and won. Like any intellectual with regards for the rule of law would have done

He was upholding the rule of law when his supporters (MAINLY NCNC) were causing mayhem in the House? Was he also upholding the law when he got his friends in the NPC and NCNC to declare a state of emergency for the undemocratic actions of his supporters? I have said it before and I will say it again, you are not being objective for obvious reasons. I guess it is also not a coincidence that he returned as premier after Awo and some of his supporters were thrown into prison on trumped up charges of working with the Ghana govt to invade Nigeria.

I think I take my bow now; I may respond if someone else has something to share.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Dede1(m): 7:45pm On Aug 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

This thread as been going on for a few days now without insults, name-calling, or tribal mudslinging. Why are you attempting to derail the thread by calling Yoruba politicians animals? You are expecting us to fall for your bait? I am hoping no one falls for it.

So why did Akintola place the call to Zik to warn him about Awo's attempt to deal with two parties? Was it not the same Akintola who went to Bello in the company of Rosiji? So how can we conclude that Awo sent Akintola to negotiate with Bello if Akintola called Zik before getting to Bello and then was in the company of Bello, when Bello called Zik? If what you allege is true, then I can conclude that Akintola was always working with Zik and Bello to frustrate Awo's ambition. I can reach that conclusion easily because of the manner in which NCNC members gave their support to Akintola immediately after he was impeached by the AG and also by the fact that Michael Okpara refused to accept Adegbenro when it is not in Okpara's position to either accept or refuse Adegbenro's ascension.

Please do not misconstrue my statement of animals as derogatory because everybody is a political animal. However, I must add that you have willfully chosen not to incorporate the dynamic nature of polity during the era in discuss. During the SLA’s stint in the Federal House of Representative, he was liked by everybody and fondly referred as Golden Voice of Nigerian politics. It is not uncommon for such a political character to gain unsolicited political support from naïve bystanders.

SLA was not AG member by heart. People should remember that during the declaration of Ogba Omo Oduduwa as Action Group in Owo about 1951, SLA was already leading a political party known as UPP. Also, AG has opposition from stalwarts such as Alaafin of Oyo who encouraged the formation of Omo Oduduwa Parapo. Of course, SLA was a member of the team led by Rosiji and knew what the political stake was and decided to torpedo it by placing the phone call to Azik at the appropriate time.

When SLA was thrown out of AG and dismissed as premier by the Governor of western region, Oba Aderemi, SLA in turn dismissed the Governor. The issue went to the court and SLA and his supporters were handed initial defeat but they appeal to House of Lords in UK. The house also sided with the Governor but SLA and Balewa insisted that SLA was the western region premier hence the crisis that led to the declaration of emergency in western region of Nigeria.

Politics is a funny game. The so-called NCNC supporters were the same folks who formed alliance with AG to battle NNDP and NPC in western region.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 8:13pm On Aug 04, 2010
Dede1:

Please do not misconstrue my statement of animals as derogatory because everybody is a political animal. However, I must add that you have willfully chosen not to incorporate the dynamic nature of polity during the era in discuss. During the SLA’s stint in the Federal House of Representative, he was liked by everybody and fondly referred as Golden Voice of Nigerian politics. It is not uncommon for such a political character to gain unsolicited political support from naïve bystanders.

SLA was not AG member by heart. People should remember that during the declaration of Ogba Omo Oduduwa as Action Group in Owo about 1951, SLA was already leading a political party known as UPP. Also, AG has opposition from stalwarts such as Alaafin of Oyo who encouraged the formation of Omo Oduduwa Parapo. Of course, SLA was a member of the team led by Rosiji and knew what the political stake was and decided to torpedo it by placing the phone call to Azik at the appropriate time.

When SLA was thrown out of AG and dismissed as premier by the Governor of western region, Oba Aderemi, SLA in turn dismissed the Governor. The issue went to the court and SLA and his supporters were handed initial defeat but they appeal to House of Lords in UK. The house also sided with the Governor but SLA and Balewa insisted that SLA was the western region premier hence the crisis that led to the declaration of emergency in western region of Nigeria.

Politics is a funny game. The so-called NCNC supporters were the same folks who formed alliance with AG to battle NNDP and NPC in western region.   

Thank you for your insightful contribution Dede1. I was a bit hasty in concluding that you meant animals in the literal sense; I apologise.

Yes it is not uncommon for an eloquent speaker such as Akintola to elicit admiration from bystanders but I would have expected just sympathy from outsiders and not the actions from NCNC members; NCNC intervened because there was something at stake.

The act of calling Zik while Awo was with Zik was not executed just to torpedo negotiations between AG and NCNC, it was a calculated attempt by Akintola and others (Bello and maybe Zik) to discredit Awo. I am of the opinion that the AG did not send Akintola and Rosiji to negotiate with Bello. Awo had declared publicly, that either Zik or himself should be PM because of their education, exposure, and experience. He argued that the post should go to an individual who had worked for and wanted independence rather than an individual who was content under British rule. Having made such a public declaration and having engaged the NPC in an acrimonious campaign in the North, it is almost inconceivable that he would have sent anyone to Bello.

You are very correct, politics is indeed a very funny game.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tpiah: 8:17pm On Aug 04, 2010
there is no end to history.

sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie and move on if rehashing past events does not lead to any form of closure.

what's done is done and cant be changed.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ayinba1(f): 9:43pm On Aug 04, 2010
@all

We learn more each time. I do have a question for those who propose that Akintola was "bad" because he worked with the Northerners. Just to clarify issues here, Did Awolowo change in personality when he decided /agreed to work with Gowon? Or did that make him a bad man? Personally, as long as we remain one entity called Nigeria, I will support a statesman who thinks of us as that regardless of his tribal origin. If we secede and become separate countries, then the game changes.

Also, an appeal here, I think both men did their bit, history may have favored one better than the other but again, history is the way it is. I remember when I was a kid and people thought that Awo was immortal.
Can we outline their collective or individual positive styles which were helpful in nation building; pls note that I am not advocating secessionist policies or ideas- thanks
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2010
ayinba1:

@all

We learn more each time. I do have a question for those who propose that Akintola was "bad" because he worked with the Northerners. Just to clarify issues here, Did Awolowo change in personality when he decided /agreed to work with Gowon? Or did that make him a bad man? Personally, as long as we remain one entity called Nigeria, I will support a statesman who thinks of us as that regardless of his tribal origin. If we secede and become separate countries, then the game changes.

Also, an appeal here, I think both men did their bit, history may have favored one better than the other but again, history is the way it is. I remember when I was a kid and people thought that Awo was immortal.
Can we outline their collective or individual positive styles which were helpful in nation building; pls note that I am not advocating secessionist policies or ideas- thanks

The issue here is the manner in which Akintola switched sides. Afterall, Yoruba politicians were already working Zik but they were not considered traitors. Adeniran Ogunsanya is still one of the most respected Yoruba politicians but he was never in AG; he was with Zik all the way.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ayinba1(f): 9:57pm On Aug 04, 2010
Well dear Katsumoto,

You did not quite answer my question. Awolowo was quite well respected because he is believed to have brought a quick end to the Biafran war , smart dude- I know yanmiris hate him. Some argue that he should never have taken up an appointment with the military if he really believed in democracy and I guess that is why this question becomes important plus that military was NORTHERN headed.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ijebuman(m): 10:08pm On Aug 04, 2010
I had to come out of lurking mode and contribute to this topic,   grin

I have no problem with the OP's intention of starting a debate on Akintola's place in Yoruba political history, however the OP has shown that his real intention is to try and re write our history and turn villains into heroes.

I suggest those interested in knowing more about the behind the scenes shenanigans during those dark days before and after independence read Harold Smith's -A Squalid End to Empire: British Retreat from Africa - http://www.libertas.demon.co.uk/autobio.htm

Here are a few quotes:

Awolowo was not stupid. He had seen the behaviour of the British administration during elections in the North, and he knew who was behind the pact between the North and the East. Nevertheless in 1961 he made contact with elements of the NCNC in the East to try and break the stranglehold which the North had over the Federal Government. This move came to nothing but may have alarmed the ruling clique who already feared him. It has been suggested that Awolowo's success as an Opposition leader in the first year of Independence and his popularity throughout Nigeria gave the Northern/Eastern coalition no alternative but to counter attack and adopt some highly questionable tactics. Akintola, Awolowo's lieutenant, was persuaded that he could lead the West and join the coalition. Rich rewards were on offer. Following stage managed disturbances in the Western Parliament, the Federal Government intervened and, following a judicial enquiry, Awolowo was sentenced to ten years in jail for treason.

It may seem odd that the Yoruba were not chosen by the British to rule alongside the favoured Northerners in the Independence Government which the British were busy planning in 1956 long before the actual Independence date. The reason was that the Yoruba leaders were independent minded and could not be relied upon. Awolowo particularly was regarded as 'unsound'. He was personally honest and if there had been a whisper of corruption the British would have known about it, for he was under extremely close surveillance. That is to say, his every movement was reported on and his mail and telephone were checked routinely.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ayinba1(f): 10:32pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^ And why would the whiteman's account be any more reliable in this case? Pray tell. I see it as another angle to the story, not necessarily the true one.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 10:36pm On Aug 04, 2010
ayinba1:

^^ And why would the whiteman's account be any more reliable in this case? Pray tell. I see it as another angle to the story, not necessarily the true one.

How many angles do you really need? There have been many articles on this thread, all alluding to the same point yet you dismiss everything.
Why don't you present something that potrays Akintola in good light?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Aug 04, 2010
ayinba1:

@all

ayinba1:

Well dear Katsumoto,

You did not quite answer my question. Awolowo was quite well respected because he is believed to have brought a quick end to the Biafran war , smart dude- I know yanmiris hate him. Some argue that he should never have taken up an appointment with the military if he really believed in democracy and I guess that is why this question becomes important plus that military was NORTHERN headed.

The part in bold are valid questions which have been sidestepped.

The point many have against Akintola was that he joined forces with the Northern led govt (Mind you a legitimate govt)

How come a democrat like Awo also joined forces with a Northern led Illegitimate govt and nothing was said about it?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ayinba1(f): 10:43pm On Aug 04, 2010
@Katsumoto,

I did not claim to be an expert in Akintola's hsitory. FYI, I am not even Ogbomosho. I asked a question and while pointedly refusing to answer the question,(I'll understand if you don't know the answer), you are picking on the question that I asked Ijebuman.

But to your question about how many angles, I will say, as many as there are. I am not touting one source to be superior to the other, I may agree with one source more than the other but hey, we all get to make our own choices, no need to enforce it upon others.

My question about Awo was not malicious, you will agree with me that some school of thought could raise that as a question of the man's character.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 10:48pm On Aug 04, 2010
Does that mean anyone who ask simple question are anti Awo?

People like Jarus and now Ayinba have been tagged anti-Awo because they observed things and asked questions
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ijebuman(m): 11:07pm On Aug 04, 2010
ayinba1:

Well if his race is an issue that's your problem, all i'm interested in, is the account of all the people who were involved in the events that has shaped Nigeria.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 11:10pm On Aug 04, 2010
ayinba1:

Well dear Katsumoto,

Awo is not respected because he brought a quick end to the civil war. It is debatable whether Awo's actions contributed to the early end of the war. Awo is respected by his kinsmen because of what he achieved for them; Awo's legacies are everywhere, you do an injustice to him by concluding that he his lionized because of a war. Do Yoruba people really care about the War?

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, you may believe that on principle Awo should not have joined Gowon's government while others may not have an issue with it. Lets look at the facts
1. Awo was released from prison to find his country on the brink of civil war
2. Awo led a delegation to Ojukwu to try to find a solution to the impasse
3. Awo served as finance minister
4. Awo resigned after the civil war when he couldn't get Gowon to commit to a transition to civil rule

My analysis - He joined the government to influence Gowon with regards to democracy and resigned from the govt when it became apparent that Gowon had no plans to relinquish power. If he was selfish, he would have stayed with Gowon until Gowon was overthrown or until he was sacked. By resigning, he walked out with his head held high.

And you stressed NORTHERN headed!!! Is Gowon not Human or is he not Nigerian? If Awo had come out of prison to serve under Balewa or Bello, then that might be an issue but Awo did not have any previous animosities with Gowon, so I don't see a problem with that relationship. Awo did not stab anyone in the back to get that job. Nigeria was burning at that time and Awo helped to steady the ship.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 11:19pm On Aug 04, 2010
And you stressed NORTHERN headed!!! Is Gowon not Human or is he not Nigerian?

So should Akintola faction too ask, Are Balewa and bello too not human or Nigerians?

BTW, Gowons govt was an illegitimate one while Balewa/Bello was a constitutional one

then that might be an issue but Awo did not have any previous animosities with Gowon, so I don't see a problem with that relationship.

Does the Fact that a democrat served as a VP to an illegal military regime pose a problem for you?

Awo did not stab anyone in the back to get that job. Nigeria was burning at that time and Awo helped to steady the ship.

Does he have to stab someone in the back to make his actions counter his ideology?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ayinba1(f): 11:33pm On Aug 04, 2010
@Katsumoto
Thanks, though I'll say you are beginning to confuse me. When I say respect to Awo for bringing forth policies that ensured a quick end to the war, do you even appreciate what that means? It brought an end to the continous killing of the Easterners Nigerians and prevented the civil war from going on for longer than it did.

Dude, how on earth is pointing this out disrespectful to his legacy? In case you misunderstood me, it is not the only thing he is respected for, it is one of the things, in the light of the fact that my question had to do with him serving under a military Northerner led non democratically elected government. You can be an Awo fan and still be objective, that is actually better.

And now you ask me if Gowon is not a human being or a Nigerian. Gowon is indeed a human being and a Nigerian. I believe my question was directed at those who say Aknitola was a villain because of his alliance with Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa. If you are one of those, then your question is rather double speak.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 11:35pm On Aug 04, 2010
dayokanu:

So should Akintola faction too ask, Are Balewa and bello too not human or Nigerians?

BTW, Gowons govt was an illegitimate one while Balewa/Bello was a constitutional one

Does the Fact that a democrat served as a VP to an illegal military regime pose a problem for you?

Does he have to stab someone in the back to make his actions counter his ideology?

You are just being disingenuous. I believe you are intelligent enough to analyse issues holistically; I don't have to keep compartmentalising arguments and connecting them because you rather ignore past arguments. I have made my argument about why it was wrong for Akintola to serve with Bello and Balewa. I don't want to keep sounding redundant. You will demonise Awo at any cost because you are related to Akintola. Yes he served under Gowon a notherner in an illegal regime (your words) but he is still reverred by a Yoruba majority and Akintola is still not reverred by a majority.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Katsumoto: 11:49pm On Aug 04, 2010
ayinba1:

@Katsumoto
Thanks, though I'll say you are beginning to confuse me. When I say respect to Awo for bringing forth policies that ensured a quick end to the war, do you even appreciate what that means? It brought an end to the continous killing of the Easterners Nigerians and prevented the civil war from going on for longer than it did.

Dude, how on earth is pointing this out disrespectful to his legacy? In case you misunderstood me, it is not the only thing he is respected for, it is one of the things, in the light of the fact that my question had to do with him serving under a military Northerner led non democratically elected government. You can be an Awo fan and still be objective, that is actually better.

And now you ask me if Gowon is not a human being or a Nigerian. Gowon is indeed a human being and a Nigerian. I believe my question was directed at those who say Aknitola was a villain because of his alliance with Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa. If you are one of those, then your question is rather double speak.

IT is not the fact of serving with Bello/Balewa that people have an issue with, it was the manner in which it occurred. This has been repeated several times, don't be coy.

Awo was not a military commander, it is disrespectful to his legacy to suggest that he is respected because he brought an end to the civil war. Where is Awo respected for bringing an end to the civil war? For anything, he lost the respect of Ndigbo for his actions during that war. Saying that he is respected for bringing an end to the war is naive. If you are not aware of this, just sample a few Igbo men on this forum. Then sample Yoruba sons and see how many of them will tell you they love Awo because of his actions during the war. This was your statement below; it is quite conclusive and finite. You may want to re-phrase your comment but as it stands, it points a reader to conclude that Awo is only respected for the war efforts.

ayinba1:

Well dear Katsumoto,

I am being objective and trying to be civil despite the fact that your ignorance, whether unintentional or delibrate, is actually provocative. My argument has not changed since this thread started. If you have not read this thread from the start, then I suggest you start from beginning and read every post. Anyone who has read this thread will agree with me that I have taken the pains to articulate my argument carefully.

Apologies for the rant.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ayinba1(f): 11:58pm On Aug 04, 2010
Ok, Katsumoto,

You ARE RIGHT!
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by firebrand: 2:12pm On Aug 05, 2010
@katsumoto
"Anyone who has read this thread will agree with me that I have taken the pains to articulate my argument carefully".

I actually agreed with you as I have equally taken the pain of reading all the contributions so far and I am concluding that it is rather too late for pro-SLA to rewrite the history now. They have argued out of the reality on ground and have spoken as if they are not in touch with the feelings of the core yorubas.

Every facts so far puts Awo as a hero and his people almost worship him as if he is a god. Let us leave the case alone and put an end to this debate. The lenghth and breath of yorubaland sings Awos praise and Akintola would have been a hero along with him but he betrayed not just his boss, but the party and the entire yoruba race.

Let his family(Akintola) continue to strive in futility to rewrite the history, as it is already too late, while Awo's family continues to live in the glory of their late legend, and need not to polish his image because, Awo himself did that long before he died.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by matiltomd(f): 6:27pm On Aug 06, 2010
Honestly this is the best NL thread so far! @Katsumoto and Dayokanu,you guys are amazing. I also appreciate the use of decent words;you guys weren't volatile despite the fact that the debate became heated at a point. I was born in the mid 80s(85 to be precise)and i didn't know half of what you guys are talking about till i read this thread, Started from the thread;Zik's final resting place;someone referred to this thread).
@Katsumoto,you're my NL hero!
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by seanet02: 11:45am On Aug 07, 2010
matiltom_d:

Honestly this is the best NL thread so far! @Katsumoto and Dayokanu,you guys are amazing. I also appreciate the use of decent words;you guys weren't volatile despite the fact that the debate became heated at a point. I was born in the mid 80s(85 to be precise)and i didn't know half of what you guys are talking about till i read this thread, Started from the thread;Zik's final resting place;someone referred to this thread).
@Katsumoto,you're my NL hero!
I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT KATSUMOTO IS MY MENTOR HERE, THERE IS NO GOING BACK ON THAT, MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE HERE RESPECTS HIM EXCEPT THE TYPICAL OYO POLITICIANS IN DAYOKANU AND CO.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tunene66: 3:16pm On Dec 28, 2010
i love history and it being discussed and i have enjoyed the dialogue
my view is that Akintola started good but was carried away by his desire to bring the Yorubas into the mainstream of Nigerian politics
In his attempt he misread the people he was leading and the party that brought him to power
As for Baba Awo i think he misread and underestimated Chief Akintola's resolve on his desire
In conclusion I believe the issue between the two late Premiers of the defunct Western Region of Nigeria is a classical study in the dynamics of power.
I just pray that we all are the better for it
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by osat02: 11:20pm On Dec 28, 2010
well at least discussants have been civil, its commendable we can disagree yet not haul insults at each other, for me they are both great men, it won't be too objective historically to cloth one in the apparel of a devil, with his horns and tail and the other a saint, to me Akintola is nothing but a fallen icon, a fated character, even some of his staunchest critic like Prof. Wole Soyinka paid homage to his wit and sagacity, Akintola was a politician of genius if he has any failing, its those seen among politicians irrespective of their ideology, Awo is a resounding avatar and a political genius, and administrator per excellence, there are always two sides to most stories, the story crisis is as told by the pro-Awo media, but all the same nice thread,
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 29, 2010
Awo for all his brilliance and ingenuity was all in all a tribal leader. He would never have won a Federal election in Nigeria in a 100 years. this is regardless if his party is AG, UPN or AD (all reincarnations of the Egbe Omo Odua).

Most of Nigeria irrespective of tribe (and aided by column inches of the Yoruba press) acknowledge that Awo had the basic ingredients of a great leader. However most could see that he saw Nigeria through Yoruba tinted glasses. His primary ambition was to appeal to Yorubas then see if the bloc votes can carry the whole of Nigeria. History has thought us that if you do that you fail. AG failed, UPN failed, AD failed, and if Tinubu wants to see himself as a Mini-Awo, ACN would fail as well.

Akintola understood that a Yoruba man would never make Prime Minister unless they practiced a brand of politics where they would have to get in bed with people of other regions. He fully understood that the way AG was going, they were subject to an eternity of perpetual opposition. He was carefully positioning himself to be the first Yoruba Prime Minister. This Awo did not like and this the Yoruba race did not like.

To understand the reverence of Awo  and disdain of Akintola in yorubaland, you will need to understand the Yoruba political psyche. The average Yoruba politican (person?) believes they are better and more intelligent than the average Nigerian. In so doing, they would rather be in a minority of one than be a part of the majority. the typical attitude is "we know what we are doing and very soon you lot will realize it and join us". They wallow in the "everybody hates us" brand of opposition. AG, UPN and AD did not make any aspirations of being National Parties, they made no pretension about being primarily Yoruba parties. The pursued an aggressive Yoruba agenda and demanded loyalty from all Yorubas. Those that did not comply are regarded and stooges of the Northerners. Step in Akintola and his incarnate OBJ

The 1999 elections showed how little the Yorubas had learnt in their period of opposition. They were given free ticket to Aso Rock. All they needed was to choose one of their 2 sons to be President. in a 50-50 chance, the yorubas still managed to pick the losing hand by massively voting for Falae even when the chickens and Goats in Makurdi knew that OBJ was the annointed one. Today Falae would be more reverred in Yorubaland than OBJ.

OBJ tried to do an Akintola by bringing Yorubaland to the mainstream by rigging PDP in and dismantling AD. He could see the road they were headed. while we can all agree he went about it the wrong way I fully understand his end game. Tinubu and AC if not careful will drag Yorubaland back to the dark days of the Action Group where they will win all the Yoruba states but not get a single vote outside yorubaland

Let me digress, The worst thing that ever happened to Yorubaland is Usman Dan fodio. He and his descendants sped up the collapse of the great Oyo (Yoruba) empire. Their tactics has been divide and rule. They pick out somebody influential inside to work with. They promise him heaven and earth. he helps betray the populace and at the end he never quite reaches the golden fleece and usually he meets a terrible end.

Dan Fodio and sons have usually picked out the Aare Ona kakanfo of Yorubaland. The self styled Generalissimo. Check Afonja, Kurunmi, Akintola and Abiola and see certain similarities and Aare ona Kakanfo. Ahmadu Bello was the great great grandson of Dan Fodio
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 5:06pm On Dec 29, 2010
The Alaafin of Oyo and OyoMesiappoints the Aare Ona kakanfo.

Are you insinuating the Alaafin is doing the dictates of Dan Fodio?

The last Aare Onakakanfo was the late Chief M.K.O Abiola who died in
mysterious circumstances on June 7, 1998 having been prevented from
assuming the post of the president of Nigeria despite having won the
June 12, 1993 election. Before him, the late Chief Ladoke Akintola,
former Premier of the old Western Region, was conferred with the
title of Kakanfo based on his ability to communicate with a rare
skill, his dogged passion for anything Yoruba and his demonstrated
love for pious character that speak volumes about ancient Yoruba
powers and spirituality, royal sources claim.

http://groups.google.com/group/yorubaaffairs/browse_thread/thread/de7063d46d7bb4a
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by lagbaja20: 5:16pm On Dec 29, 2010
^^^^

You should have ignored him

Me thinks, he is high on TABA

Dan fodio ko, Dan fobo ni
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 5:35pm On Dec 29, 2010
^^ Or its Fido Dido grin grin
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by OAM4J: 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2010
bermuda1:

Awo for all his brilliance and ingenuity was all in all a tribal leader. He would never have won a Federal election in Nigeria in a 100 years. this is regardless if his party is AG, UPN or AD (all reincarnations of the Egbe Omo Odua).

Most of Nigeria irrespective of tribe (and aided by column inches of the Yoruba press) acknowledge that Awo had the basic ingredients of a great leader. However most could see that he saw Nigeria through Yoruba tinted glasses. His primary ambition was to appeal to Yorubas then see if the bloc votes can carry the whole of Nigeria. History has thought us that if you do that you fail. AG failed, UPN failed, AD failed, and if Tinubu wants to see himself as a Mini-Awo, ACN would fail as well.

Akintola understood that a Yoruba man would never make Prime Minister unless they practiced a brand of politics where they would have to get in bed with people of other regions. He fully understood that the way AG was going, they were subject to an eternity of perpetual opposition. He was carefully positioning himself to be the first Yoruba Prime Minister. This Awo did not like and this the Yoruba race did not like.

To understand the reverence of Awo  and disdain of Akintola in yorubaland, you will need to understand the Yoruba political psyche. The average Yoruba politican (person?) believes they are better and more intelligent than the average Nigerian. In so doing, they would rather be in a minority of one than be a part of the majority. the typical attitude is "we know what we are doing and very soon you lot will realize it and join us". They wallow in the "everybody hates us" brand of opposition. AG, UPN and AD did not make any aspirations of being National Parties, they made no pretension about being primarily Yoruba parties. The pursued an aggressive Yoruba agenda and demanded loyalty from all Yorubas. Those that did not comply are regarded and stooges of the Northerners. Step in Akintola and his incarnate OBJ

The 1999 elections showed how little the Yorubas had learnt in their period of opposition. They were given free ticket to Aso Rock. All they needed was to choose one of their 2 sons to be President. in a 50-50 chance, the yorubas still managed to pick the losing hand by massively voting for Falae even when the chickens and Goats in Makurdi knew that OBJ was the annointed one. Today Falae would be more reverred in Yorubaland than OBJ.

OBJ tried to do an Akintola by bringing Yorubaland to the mainstream by rigging PDP in and dismantling AD. He could see the road they were headed. while we can all agree he went about it the wrong way I fully understand his end game. Tinubu and AC if not careful will drag Yorubaland back to the dark days of the Action Group where they will win all the Yoruba states but not get a single vote outside yorubaland

Let me digress, The worst thing that ever happened to Yorubaland is Usman Dan fodio. He and his descendants sped up the collapse of the great Oyo (Yoruba) empire. Their tactics has been divide and rule. They pick out somebody influential inside to work with. They promise him heaven and earth. he helps betray the populace and at the end he never quite reaches the golden fleece and usually he meets a terrible end.

Dan Fodio and sons have usually picked out the Aare Ona kakanfo of Yorubaland. The self styled Generalissimo. Check Afonja, Kurunmi, Akintola and Abiola and see certain similarities and Aare ona Kakanfo. Ahmadu Bello was the great great grandson of Dan Fodio

I would have ignored your post, but because this is one of the most interesting/informative threads on NL, i do no want to leave it unchallenged.

The few questions I have for you are:

What is more important to the Yorubas? Presidency or  Progress and developments

When did you see real and meaningful progress in Yorubaland? Under AG/Awo, UPN/Awo and AD or under PDP/Obasanjo?

Now, do you still query our claim of being more super-intelligent than others?  grin

1 Like

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by lagbaja20: 6:21pm On Dec 29, 2010
OAM4J:

I would have ignored your post, but because this is one of the most interesting/informative threads on NL, i do no want to leave it unchallenged.

The few questions I have for you are:

What is more important to the Yorubas? Presidency or Progress and developments

When did you see real and meaningful progress in Yorubaland? Under AG, UPN and AD or under PDP?

N[b]ow, do you still query our claim of being more super-intelligent than others?[/b] grin

NAh. . . I think you guys are the best grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2010
@ Lagbaja20 et al

You guys continue to exhibit the basic structural failures that have enveloped the Yorubas politically. That is the erroneous belief that you are right and everybody else is wrong. That is why Awo was a political liability and that is why those who continue to continue the political doctrine of Awo will glorified local champions.

Awo and his disciples will always win a free and fair election in Yoruba land (including Edo) hands down. Awo and his disciples would never win even a councillorship election anywhere outside Yorubaland (including Edo).

The problem of Yorubaland is that anybody who even tries to integrate into the mainstream of Nigerian politics is tagged a saboteur, betrayer etc. in their life time people like Akintola, Adelabu, Abiola, Akinloye, Akinjide, Obasanjo, Bola Ige, Jakande, Babatope etc have been labelled thus.

Yoruba politics is characterised by a Herd mentality where the belief is that we all have to follow the progressive party and all be like egbe omo oduduwa. Guys, its almost 2011 that style would not work, you will be doomed into a period of perpetual opposition and irrelevance.

To answer Lagbaja's question on development. The Yoruba states have no real basis for comparison. They all voted Action Group, UPN and SDP and AD. All these are progressive parties. PDP came in 2003 in all states but Lagos. A case can be made that the PDP governors of 2003 did no worse than the AD governors of 1999.

There are some real stand out governors from the Awo school of politics. Awo himself, Lateef Jakande and now Raji Fashola. This however does not give the Awoists exclusivity in producing good governors. Tatari Ali, Sam Mbakwe and Rotimi Amechi can equally hold their own anywhere.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico / Are Nigerians Docile? - Charly Boy Blows Hot / Lalong Appoints Shehu Bala, Hausa-Fulani As Chairman, Plateau Indigenes Kick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.