Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,492 members, 7,836,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn (4137 Views)

Mercedes Benz Steering Is Actually A Game Pad Controller / Corolla Steering Problem / My Toyota Corolla Steering Turning Non Stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by ProGSM(m): 11:38pm On Dec 06, 2018
Hi,

Can someone help me? My Toyota Corolla Steering is hard to turn.

I was told it is the steering pump.

Any one with a detail about this?

Thanks!
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by tolugar: 12:02am On Dec 07, 2018
ProGSM:
Hi,

Thanks!

If your battery light is showing,

It's alternator.

Also check fuse

The steering wheel power comes directly from the alternator.

Using it like that means your battery will soon give up in matter of minutes.
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by uboma(m): 4:10am On Dec 07, 2018
tolugar:

It's alternator.

Also check fuse

Hahahaha

Your diagnosis get as e be.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by uboma(m): 4:13am On Dec 07, 2018
ProGSM:
Hi,

Thanks!

Have you checked the power steering cup to see if there's any power steering oil left in it?

If it is empty, then the culprit should be your power steering pump or the power steering rack.

Get your mechanic to check the pump and rack to find out which needs replacement and do the needful.
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by tolugar: 6:04am On Dec 07, 2018
uboma:

Hahahaha

Your diagnosis get as e be.

Personal experience. I mean few days ago.

Road side mech. Told me steering this and that, since the battery light was steady, I opted to check that 1st,

After working on the alternator, boom the steering started flying.
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by ProGSM(m): 6:28am On Dec 07, 2018
tolugar:

Road side mech. Told me steering this and that, since the battery light was steady, I opted to check that 1st,

My battery light is not showing on the board. The steering ATF is ok. But my machanic suggested it is the pump.
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by ProGSM(m): 6:31am On Dec 07, 2018
uboma:

Have you checked the power steering cup to see if there's any power steering oil left in it?

If it is empty, then the culprit should be your power steering pump or the power steering rack.

Get your mechanic to check the pump and rack to find out which needs replacement and do the needful.

It is nit empty boss.
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by tolugar: 6:36am On Dec 07, 2018
ProGSM:

My battery light is not showing on the board. The steering ATF is ok. But my machanic suggested it is the pump.

Then go and fix the pump nah Kai Kai kai
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by ProGSM(m): 6:41am On Dec 07, 2018
tolugar:

Then go and fix the pump nah Kai Kai kai

Ok I will. It is a Tokunbo. My mechanic said it will cost N15k. I am thinking abiut heading to Ladipo. What do you suggest?
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by tolugar: 7:41am On Dec 07, 2018
ProGSM:

Ok I will. It is a Tokunbo. My mechanic said it will cost N15k. I am thinking abiut heading to Ladipo. What do you suggest?

If you can get guarantee there then go, else
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:46am On Dec 07, 2018
tolugar:

It's alternator.

Also check fuse

bros bros, this is gold oh.....

do some research and then come back and edit ur post.

sharpaly, before the big guns come for u.
must have been ur (probably faulty) alternator pulley dragging the whole system down.... alternator fixed and serpentine belt was free to rotate the PS pump.

probably no relationship with ops issue,.....
it's a probable cause, not a definitive cause!
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by ProGSM(m): 9:51am On Dec 07, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

must have been ur (probably faulty) alternator pulley dragging the whole system down.... alternator fixed and serpentine belt was free to rotate the PS pump.

Boss, please explain your post
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:59am On Dec 07, 2018
ProGSM:

Boss, please explain your post

first step.
with the engine running, take a look at the serpentine belt ..
does it squeak, squeal... or look stretched?
second step.
open the fluid reservoir, confirm that fluid is adequate

if all these checks are in line with the standard specs then a pro will have to look at the pump, rack and lines..... it's an almost easy diagnosis...... for a pro

PS, check under and around the vehicle for leaks.... any form of leak suggests vacuum in the lines.
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by ProGSM(m): 3:23pm On Dec 07, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

first step.
with the engine running, take a look at the serpentine belt ..
does it squeak, squeal... or look stretched?
second step.
open the fluid reservoir, confirm that fluid is adequate

if all these checks are in line with the standard specs then a pro will have to look at the pump, rack and lines..... it's an almost easy diagnosis...... for a pro

PS, check under and around the vehicle for leaks.... any form of leak suggests vacuum in the lines.

No leakage at all.
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by autologic: 7:56am On Dec 08, 2018
tolugar:

It's alternator.

Also check fuse

Pls remove this ,you are confused !
Your steering was hard cos serpentine belt was broken or removed and it still the same belt that drive the alternator which was why it wasn't working .
So no working relationship whatsoever btw alternator and power steering .Alternator is electrical device while power steering system is wholly mechanical.

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by tolugar: 6:37pm On Dec 08, 2018
autologic:

Your steering was hard cos serpentine belt was broken or removed and it still the same belt that drive the alternator which was why it wasn't working .
So no working relationship whatsoever btw alternator and power steering .Alternator is electrical device while power steering system is wholly mechanical.

Bros from experience and the research I did online,

Toyota Corolla 2012

The steering was stiff and both the steering and battery light was on.

After so many stories about the steering pump etc, they checked the alternator and discovered its dead.

So, I replaced the alternator and boom, the steering was free.

I chatted online with Toyota agent https://www.toyotaofgreenville.com/service/research/maintenance/signs-of-a-failing-

who told me Bla Bla Bla about alternator and since it takes a lot of power to control the steering which the battery can't offer..

autologic:

obekediamondfuto:

Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:42pm On Dec 08, 2018
tolugar:

Toyota Corolla 2012

After so many stories about the steering pump etc, they checked the alternator and discovered its dead.

I chatted online with Toyota agent https://www.toyotaofgreenville.com/service/research/maintenance/signs-of-a-failing-

who told me Bla Bla Bla about alternator and since it takes a lot of power to control the steering which the battery can't offer..

BRO when I told u to research on this issue, I was being helpful.

when you research with a view to contesting stuff, u get what u want...... combat tools...... you don't learn anything!

https://m.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92544/electronic-power-steering

read this and digest.

PS there is a difference between a full EPS and a hybrid.

when u have digested that, come back and read ops issue.... but this time, slowly.... read the key words or triggers that denote that ops vehicle does not have a full EPS. (this is the only time that ur case would be related)
a hybrid, with a pump would not be so stiff as the op described. and a faulty alternator has other symptoms not PS related.... (faulty, not even totalled.... when it comes to alternators we can have a low charging alternator due to some factors like diodes and so on).
it is very possible for you to experience this your issue...... however u would not be talking about PS pump, leaks, fluid reservoir.... etc

let's not derail this thread.
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:25pm On Dec 08, 2018
op what's the status of ur challenge?
such kinda things are not easily diagnosed remotely ...except by a pro.....
u can contact Gazuzz for remote assistance sha...

but if there is no leak, no strange rack noises, no slack on the belt, no battery sign on dash (AFTER STARTUP), fluid is confirmed OK......

then the most probable culprit is the pump.....
but like I said, remote diagnosis are not 100% efficient for such issues that don't have a P**** code.

fair enough, the components of the steering assist are very very finite.....
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by autologic: 10:04pm On Dec 08, 2018
tolugar:

Toyota Corolla 2012

You are getting yourself confused further ,the issue at hand is mechanical power steering used but you kept hammering on different technology entirely which is EPS system used by late model vehicles and it depend totally on alternator voltage output .
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by autologic: 10:10pm On Dec 08, 2018
ProGSM:
Hi,

Thanks!
This is a simple issue ,just go ahead to change your power steering pump .
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by ProGSM(m): 11:12pm On Dec 08, 2018
autologic:

This is a simple issue ,just go ahead to change your power steering pump .

Yes, this will be done on monday. My mechanic said it will cost 15k to change the pump.

Trying to see if I can get it cheaper around.

Thanks!
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by IghoCentric(m): 11:57am On Dec 09, 2018
tolugar:

Your car uses an electric steering thats why a bad alternator will affect it.. others cars still use hydraulic steering, in that case it can be low fluid or a bad pump or even a bad or slacked drive belt
Re: Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn by tolugar: 12:16pm On Dec 09, 2018
IghoCentric:

Your car uses an electric steering thats why a bad alternator will affect it.. others cars still use hydraulic steering, in that case it can be low fluid or a bad pump or even a bad or slacked drive belt

Thanks for your understanding

(1) (Reply)

2002 Accord Idling Problem / 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help / Review Of The 2012 Mazda Cx 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.