Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing (4993 Views)

Help, My Eod Is Delays In Changing Gear / How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me / Help! My Car's Auto Gear Is Misbehaving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by yinkobert(m): 8:56pm On Aug 01, 2010
PLEASE THE HONOURABLE MEMBER OF THE HOUSE I KINDLY NEED YOUR ADVICE ON THE SUITABLE GEAR OIL TO USE FOR EOD WHEN IS TO BE SERVICED.I JUST SERVICED MY AUTO GEAR BY USING VISCO 2000 OIL BUT IT WORKED FOR FEW DAYS AND REFUSED TO ENGAGED AFTER TRAVELLING A LONG DISTANCE .PLEASE KINDLY TELL ME WHAT TO DO PLEASE.WHEN THE GEAR REFUSED TO ENGAGED I BOUGHT ABRO A GEAR OIL AND IS FUNCTIONING FOR NOW BUT AM NOT SURE WHETHER I WILL NOT ENCOUNTER THE SAME PROBLEM AGAIN
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by Doyin4real(m): 9:26pm On Aug 01, 2010
@poster:
Visco 2000 is an engine oil but not an ATF. I dont think it is suitable for automatic gear. So that may be the reason for the non-engagement of your auto gear. As for the auto gear cars, ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) should be used. It is the same ATF you use as power streering oil. I use ABRO ATF for my Toyota Corrolla and the gear engages well. But I wouldnt know if EOD has a special ATF. Now that you have put ABRO AFT, the gear should run well now.

One more thing please. Did you drain out the Visco 2000 oil from your gear box completely? If your answer is NO, pls drain it and put a fresh ABRO ATF.
I am sure we have better and more experienced guys on this forum to give you a better and more comprehensive advise than mine.
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by yinkobert(m): 9:58pm On Aug 01, 2010
thank u very much, i drained the visco 2000 oil completely b4 putting abro oil atf
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by JohnKester: 10:21pm On Aug 01, 2010
In the absence of Honda ATF Z1 which is recommended by Honda, you could use Dexron III. I had used Texaco's Texamatic which is Dexron III. It worked very well for my 1999 Honda Odyssey. However, it may not shift as smoothly as Z1 in your 2004 Accord.

As a candid advice, always read your Owners Manual. It contains all the information regarding your car. Pouring engine oil inside an automatic gearbox is definitely a sure way to kill it because the engine is not meant for that that purpose.

Having made the error, you will need to change the fluid several times to clean out the engine oil you have already poured in. Drain what is there now, fill it and drive for a while and always ensure you drain the fluid when it is hot as that ensures that most of it drains out. Moreover, not all the fluid comes out when you do a simple drain and fill once. You have to do several times to get all the old fluid out. That is normal with ATF change. Added to that is the abnormality of engine oil inside the gearbox which must be eliminated before it causes further damage. 3 to 4 circles of drain, fill and drive should clean it out. More importantly, you will have to change the filter in the gearbox after the last drain. This will ensure that you have a clean filter that will allow the fluid to circulate freely as a clogged up filter will not allow free circulation.

Wish you goodluck!
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by sultaan(m): 10:38pm On Aug 01, 2010
OMG!! Haven't you learnt anything about modern cars and fluid?

Hopefully you have not done permanent damage to your car.

First you mechanic doesnot  know what he is doing; only service your car according to the maintenace schedule in the manual, and ue the recomended fluids or equivalent which is ATF-Z1.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-1848.html

Youwill have to fill drain a couple of times to flush the engine oil out.
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by cardoctor(m): 8:05am On Jul 20, 2013
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by elektra80: 9:01am On Jul 20, 2013
Doyin4real: @poster:
Visco 2000 is an engine oil but not an ATF. I dont think it is suitable for automatic gear. So that may be the reason for the non-engagement of your auto gear. As for the auto gear cars, ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) should be used. It is the same ATF you use as power streering oil. I use ABRO ATF for my Toyota Corrolla and the gear engages well. But I wouldnt know if EOD has a special ATF. Now that you have put ABRO AFT, the gear should run well now.

One more thing please. Did you drain out the Visco 2000 oil from your gear box completely? If your answer is NO, pls drain it and put a fresh ABRO ATF.
I am sure we have better and more experienced guys on this forum to give you a better and more comprehensive advise than mine.

I can't believe u are advising the poster to use ABRO ATF on Honda EOD. Poster, u just fried ur tranny gradually with those ATF. A lot of people complain about Honda transmissions not knowing they are the ones killing it by using cheap ATF. Honda transmission is sensitive and u need to use ATF DW1 for ur EOD. Its a little expensive, about 3,000 naira per quart but its worth it. I also drive an EOD and sometimes ago my mechanic serviced my transmission and put visco 2000 without my consent. When he brought the car and was blabbing about the atf visco 2000 he used that its the best, I almost slapped him and asked him to go and drain it immediately. He hesitated before draining it but I made sure i was there when he drained it and I had to buy the right ATF. I never have transmission issue with my Honda for a couple of years now.
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by dandollar1: 10:54pm On Jul 20, 2013
elektra80:

I can't believe u are advising the poster to use ABRO ATF on Honda EOD. Poster, u just fried ur tranny gradually with those ATF. A lot of people complain about Honda transmissions not knowing they are the ones killing it by using cheap ATF. Honda transmission is sensitive and u need to use ATF DW1 for ur EOD. Its a little expensive, about 3,000 naira per quart but its worth it. I also drive an EOD and sometimes ago my mechanic serviced my transmission and put visco 2000 without my consent. When he brought the car and was blabbing about the atf visco 2000 he used that its the best, I almost slapped him and asked him to go and drain it immediately. He hesitated before draining it but I made sure i was there when he drained it and I had to buy the right ATF. I never have transmission issue with my Honda for a couple of years now.
please,which coolant do you use for your eod? I have been using water but want to change to a proper coolant.
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by lacasa: 12:08am On Jul 21, 2013
Op, pls stay away from Visco and Abro.

Use Atf Z1, or Dextron III (temporarily).

Order from this company soonest, they have it.

>
> Solutions Plus Ltd
- 297 Borno Way, Yaba, Lagos. 08035559999, 08085373626

Abuja branch:
> Stix Car Wash - 170 A E Ekukinam St, Utako, Abuja. 08055544230, 07032320432
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by kingschild123(m): 2:56am On Jul 21, 2013
I would suggest you use TOTAL
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by dandollar1: 1:54pm On Jul 21, 2013
kingschild123: I would suggest you use TOTAL
please were u responding to the question I asked about coolant for EOD?
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by Jodesky(m): 2:37pm On Jul 21, 2013
Pls don't go near ABRO ATF for an EOD. That's terribly misleading and your gear will pack up within a short while.
The right ATF for an EOD is the ATF-Z1.
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by mirikashi(m): 11:48am On Feb 07, 2016
elektra80:

Thank you for the contribution. Where can one get the ATF DW1 for my EOD please? Also what's the best engine oil to use?
Re: My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing by adanny01(m): 3:00pm On Feb 07, 2016
dandollar1:
please,which coolant do you use for your eod? I have been using water but want to change to a proper coolant.

Total coolant is good or get green freezetone from Jumia or Konga.

(1) (Reply)

Check Your Vehicle History And Get Complete VIN Report For FREE! / Dashboard Lay Now Available / Tell Us Your Experience Buying A Car With Fake Custom Papers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.