Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? (691 Views)

How Has God Been Faithful To You In The Last 9 Months / Apart From Straffing Mary, What Other Function Has God's Penis? / What Has God Done For You In 2017; That Deserves His Praise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by henrixx(m): 8:19am On Dec 09, 2018
After creating the beautiful garden of eden God still made an evil forbidden fruit inside.

Since we say God is good then Why not make everything good

Please i just seek reasonable answers and comments.
Thanks
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:32am On Dec 09, 2018
Polarity I guess.

Without opposites, there won’t be a frame of reference.

If there’s only one state, then God will be bored.

Up-down, good-bad, happy-sad, positive-negative, alive-dead...

Boom!

Drama.

If there’s just one state, then the earth might as well be formless, dark and void.

2 Likes

Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by henrixx(m): 12:11pm On Dec 09, 2018
BuddhaPalm:
Polarity I guess.

Boom!

Drama.

If there’s just one state, then the earth might as well be formless, dark and void.
then why do we have to suffer for the bad
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:07pm On Dec 09, 2018
henrixx:
then why do we have to suffer for the bad

There are certain schools of thought that posit that our existence is a simulation.

The same way we have hyper-realistic video game characters who “suffer” for our amusement.

Do they really suffer?

A movie or video game with friesian cows grazing in a scenic field would be boring.

But unleash a pack of wolves, or a bad guy with a gun and you have drama.

I am not here to defend the architects of our reality. Just saying what it appears to be.

God being all there is, and having no one else to interact with, manifests himself as the 10,000 forms we see.

So that there will be drama...

The good, the bad, the terrible. It’s all him playing those roles.

And being aspects of God, we can also influence “our” destinies.

3 Likes

Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by Ihedinobi3: 8:51pm On Dec 09, 2018
Hello.

I am not sure what your own attitude to these matters is but I will try to answer without prejudice.

Because of your allusion to the Garden of Eden and to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, I assume that you are interrogating the Bible on this. I am a Christian, a committed follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, so I will answer you as one who believes the Bible in toto.

First of all, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was not evil at all. God never creates evil. He always creates perfection. And the tree was also good. The only evil was man's disobedience in eating it contrary to God's explicit command that he shouldn't.

That tree is why the human race still exists today in spite of the corruption of our bodies with sin. It provided the human race with an expanded conscience which is an ability to identify good and evil in Satan's very complex system of moral pitfalls that he wove to ensnare as many of Adam's descendants as possible.

While Adam and Eve lived in the Garden, they did not need an expanded conscience because they were created holy like the angels earlier. But possession of a free will always means that the possessor can change their moral leaning. And man changed from being holy to being sinful when he decided to disobey God and eat the fruit. But, as I said, eating the fruit still provided us with a conscience that has helped the human race survive without destroying itself in thousands of years now.

Why did God create the tree at all? Because God wanted man to make a choice about Him. He did not want man to serve Him by force or default. That is, man had to both be free to choose whether to love God and submit to Him or not and to have the opportunity to choose not to love Him and submit to Him if he decided that he didn't want to. Without the tree in the Garden, man may have had free will but no opportunity to exercise it. But we had the tree and Adam made the choice.

So, God did not do anything wrong to us in that instance.

Since Adam made that choice, God sent the Lord Jesus Christ to give all of humanity a way back to Him. That is consistent with all His earlier good acts of mercy and love toward us. If anyone believes in the Lord Jesus, then their sins are no longer counted against them and they are saved and if they continue to believe until they leave this world, they will spend eternity with the Lord God and all of His Family.

That, to me, is the best news ever. I hope you find it to be the same for you as well.
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by nattyspice: 12:59am On Dec 10, 2018
Ihedinobi3:
Hello.

I am not sure what your own attitude to these matters is but I will try to answer without prejudice.

Because of your allusion to the Garden of Eden and to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, I assume that you are interrogating the Bible on this. I am a Christian, a committed follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, so I will answer you as one who believes the Bible in toto.

First of all, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was not evil at all. God never creates evil. He always creates perfection. And the tree was also good. The only evil was man's disobedience in eating it contrary to God's explicit command that he shouldn't.

That tree is why the human race still exists today in spite of the corruption of our bodies with sin. It provided the human race with an expanded conscience which is an ability to identify good and evil in Satan's very complex system of moral pitfalls that he wove to ensnare as many of Adam's descendants as possible.

While Adam and Eve lived in the Garden, they did not need an expanded conscience because they were created holy like the angels earlier. But possession of a free will always means that the possessor can change their moral leaning. And man changed from being holy to being sinful when he decided to disobey God and eat the fruit. But, as I said, eating the fruit still provided us with a conscience that has helped the human race survive without destroying itself in thousands of years now.

Why did God create the tree at all? Because God wanted man to make a choice about Him. He did not want man to serve Him by force or default. That is, man had to both be free to choose whether to love God and submit to Him or not and to have the opportunity to choose not to love Him and submit to Him if he decided that he didn't want to. Without the tree in the Garden, man may have had free will but no opportunity to exercise it. But we had the tree and Adam made the choice.

Since Adam made that choice, God sent the Lord Jesus Christ to give all of humanity a way back to Him. That is consistent with all His earlier good acts of mercy and love toward us. If anyone believes in the Lord Jesus, then their sins are no longer counted against them and they are saved and if they continue to believe until they leave this world, they will spend eternity with the Lord God and all of His Family.

That, to me, is the best news ever. I hope you find it to be the same for you as well.
Isiah45:7 I form the light,and create darkness:I make peace,amd create evil:I the LORD do all these things.

1 Like

Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by Ihedinobi3: 6:05am On Dec 10, 2018
nattyspice:

Isiah45:7 I form the light,and create darkness:I make peace,amd create evil:I the LORD do all these things.
Is it not interesting that opposite to light is darkness but opposite to peace is evil in this translation? If "evil" here is moral as in unrighteousness or wickedness, shouldn't the opposite be "holiness" or "righteousness" so that that should read:

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make righteousness, and create evil: I the Lord do these things"?

Evil there means "calamity" or "unpleasantness" or "disaster".

This is a better translation:

Isaiah 45:7 NASB
[7]The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these.
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by Afobear: 7:04am On Dec 10, 2018
Ihedinobi3:

Is it not interesting that opposite to light is darkness but opposite to peace is evil in this translation? If "evil" here is moral as in unrighteousness or wickedness, shouldn't the opposite be "holiness" or "righteousness" so that that should read:

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make righteousness, and create evil: I the Lord do these things"?

[7]The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these.

Liar

1 Like

Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by Ihedinobi3: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2018
Afobear:

Liar
What am I lying about?
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by nattyspice: 2:40pm On Dec 10, 2018
Ihedinobi3:

Calamity also means ,disaster,catastrophe,mishap,misfortune,tragedy,blow e.t.c.
(Encarta English Thesaurus).
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by Ihedinobi3: 2:50pm On Dec 10, 2018
nattyspice:

Calamity also means ,disaster,catastrophe,mishap,misfortune,tragedy,blow e.t.c.
(Encarta English Thesaurus).
Very correct. It means all that. What it does not mean is "moral badness". So, God does not ever create evil by which we mean "moral badness" but He does cause all manner of calamity/disaster/catastrophe/mishap/misfortune/tragedy/blows with His judgments upon evil, that is, creature moral badness. That is why He is worthy to be feared.
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by nattyspice: 3:39pm On Dec 10, 2018
why should you fear what is good? it makes no sense
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by Ihedinobi3: 5:08pm On Dec 10, 2018
nattyspice:
why should you fear what is good? it makes no sense
Justice is good, isn't it? Who wouldn't like to know that if someone treated them unfairly that that person would suffer the wrath of Justice?

It is precisely because Justice is to be feared that it is good. Justice is meaningless if the criminal can get away with his crime. In the same way, the fact that no evil will go unpunished by God is a good thing since it teaches the wicked man to restrain himself and protects the weak and the innocent from such people.
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by Lamijay(m): 7:27pm On Dec 10, 2018
henrixx:
After creating the beautiful garden of eden God still made an evil forbidden fruit inside.

Since we say God is good then Why not make everything good

Please i just seek reasonable answers and comments.
Thanks

The creation story... Is just a story.
It's the Jewish culture to always speak of an origin before they start talking about what they can see and talk of.
Same thing with a lot of other traditions...
We have many traditions in Nigeria, alone. And they all have their own stories, non of those really know how we were created at all.
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by 00Godwin: 8:27am On Jan 05, 2019
BuddhaPalm:
Polarity I guess.

Boom!

Drama.

So are you saying just for God to appease his boredom (though I even wonder how his Aseity fits in your own interpretation) he decided to make the "up-down, good-bad... Irrespective of how many will lose their souls?
Re: Why Has God Created Good And Evil At The Same Time? by 00Godwin: 8:43am On Jan 05, 2019
Ihedinobi3:
Hello.

(1) (Reply)

Pope Francis To Change Of Lord’s Prayer: ‘lead Us Not Into Temptation’ / The Lord God Almighty: Everything About God. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.