Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,145 members, 7,829,092 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

"Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce (18736 Views)

I Am Going To Privatize Our Ailing Crude Oil Refineries - Atiku Declares / Lagos Opens The First ISO-Certified Government-Owned Laboratory In Nigeria / We Have Over 100M Phone Lines, Why Can't We Vote By Text -sen.ben Bruce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by bluefilm: 12:32pm On Dec 09, 2018
NessaBoo:
Lol, everything will be sellable under this PDP regime!

There are lots of ways to attract external funding without commercializing the universities abeg, they should encourage these Universities to concentrate on research that is relevant to society.That is what is happening all over the world.

Education is the bedrock of development in any nation. Without it, development will be a mere wish. You can't come and commercialize education because it will be priced out of the reach of children of the poor, whereas education should be a right and not a privilege.

Wow!

Nessa "nice" boobs.

Wouldn't mind sucking them for you. tongue
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Papertrail11(m): 12:33pm On Dec 09, 2018
don't support this it would be out of reach by for the common man

private schools are not profitable and expensive to run I went to 2

best we can do as a country is to change from the British to American sys of education cos American give u the basis to think not just read like a dummy. That's why we have more american nnovators I think

plus we should outsource the education sector to Americans who can help manage it better
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 09, 2018
nzeobi:
before you condemn him profer a better alternative to the quagmire.
me thinks govt should pay salaries of the workers and let the money the school generates be used for infrastructures.

These schools don't generate enough even to maintain even their gates, not to say entire infrastructure. I think reverse should be the case. Either way, there would be hike in tuition.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by bigpicture001: 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2018
nzeobi:
me thinks govt should pay salaries of the workers and let the money the school generates be used for infrastructures.
..the real solution is to a law banning ASUU they ar just yoo greedy. They are in nigeria with a ad econony ,but wants to earn like lectueres in a developed economy...ASUU is not sincere abouth their demand
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by greenek: 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2018
hakeem4:
i do not think you understand his point. since the government is not capable of handling the affairs of government owned university they should sell it to private people or companies who have the capability to manage it

@bolded does not make any sense. silverbird is doing fine

What he implied, you did not get.
If the universities gets privatized, would their school fees still remain the same? Unilag that was 19k sef, I had guys struggling hard to pay.

1 Like

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Originalsly: 12:37pm On Dec 09, 2018
What common sense? If private investors are interested in running universities...let them build their own. Private anything...is being run for profit. It would be common sense for him to push for the FG to invest in the universities..... have them upgraded...or even build more and have make them relevant to the needs of the 21st century. How many private universities we have...that sooo many can't afford? ...how many private universities we have ...sooo expensive but yet... their degrees are useless internationally. Is this what he is pushing for? I guess he used to have common sense.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by MonsieurCoder: 12:38pm On Dec 09, 2018
NessaBoo:

There are lots of ways to attract external funding without commercializing the universities abeg, they should encourage these Universities to concentrate on research that is relevant to society.That is what is happening all over the world.

Education is the bedrock of development in any nation. Without it, development will be a mere wish. You can't come and commercialize education because it will be priced out of the reach of children of the poor, whereas education should be a right and not a privilege.

cc: Proffemi please kindly address this
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Ugosample(m): 12:44pm On Dec 09, 2018
Vibesking:
How about affordability, Did he consider that?
All these dimwits politicians advocating for the Federal Government to privatise all the sector of our economy are clearly living on a different world.
They privatised power and where has that gotten us? Some areas haven't seen a blink in months!
I've never seen a nation that wholeheartedly wore its incompetence and shamelessly delegate its duties to outsiders.

Privatise Federal Universities my foot! You think its every family that can afford the fees uh? Inconsiderate mofo!

if you dimwits are content with paying peanut fees

then you guys should be content with peanut service and quality

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by staytravel: 12:47pm On Dec 09, 2018
I was thinking about this recently.... In most countries Universities are private.

If it happened at least Professors won't have to rely on the Government for their salary.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 09, 2018
hakeem4:
i do not think you understand his point. since the government is not capable of handling the affairs of government owned university they should sell it to private people or companies who have the capability to manage it

So many of these Atikulooters would support anything to oust Buhari, don't they know privatizing Federal Universities mean poor people aspirations to go to school wld become a pipe dream? If they don't know pls help educate them that government subsidies school fees in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by johnkay1(m): 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2018
I suggest Federal Government should privatize Legislature. No work no pay, no genuine bills no allowances. Payment should be by effective contributions.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by stevups(m): 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2018
A fool @50..
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by notoriousbabe: 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2018
hakeem4:

and you think an average Nigerian student would be able to afford the school fees?
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by theoldpretender(m): 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2018
Ugosample:

if you dimwits are content with paying peanut fees

then you guys should be content with peanut service and quality

That is what I ultimately try to tell people sometimes.

In Nigeria, we have the mentality that if we pay N100 we will get $100000 service. And we have this idea that by exporting raw materials....we are all going to have enough money to go to school!

Yes ,our parents went to school for free. In the early 1970's, an average university in Nigeria had about 2000-3000 students,and there were just six of them. Compare with today's 70 state owned universites with populaitons of at least 10000 studentss.

Me,I no like Ben Bruce...but today,he spoke the cold truth. You cannot pay N1000 for a N20million car.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by greenek: 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2018
writerights:

These schools don't generate enough even to maintain even their gates, not to say entire infrastructure. I think reverse should be the case. Either way, there would be hike in tuition.

Who told you that school do not generate enough?
Let me speak for unilag.
500k for school fees per diploma student, and dey admit about 1k - 2k diploma students yearly, please do the Maths

25k for the entrance form, about 5k buys the form, then 1k - 2k gets admitted. Do the Maths please.

The cheapest hall in unilag collects nothing less than 100k per use, unilag has about 7of those halls of varying grandeur there's always Sha an event in unilag. Even if no event, student fellowship hold service in atleast 3 of the halls weekly. Please do the Maths.

Unilag bread is 300naira. Once you taste the bread, you get hooked, it's madly delicious. They sell atleast 500 (this is vaguely underrated score, dey sell far more than this) loaf daily.. Please do the Maths

Unilag water.. There's no student price for water o, the same price as water outside, 150 per bag..

Not to mention the shops for lease, payment for parking spacing in unilag by other organizations.

That's the few I can remember now.

Many if this schools generate loadz of funds internally. Many of them does diploma or foundation or preddegre, minimum schools fees is 150k, where does the money go to?

Govt are not doing their part, we all know that, allocating less than 10% of the annual budget for education is grossly unfair looking at the numbers of public university in Nigeria,.

The senator calling for privatization of the university, would he and his cohorts agree for their overly inflated salaries and allowance be subsidized by say 70%, even at going home with 30% of what dey earn now, dey are still going home with alot.

Privatization of public university is not the solution, dey would only end up making nigeria grossly uneducated

1 Like

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by theoldpretender(m): 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2018
nzeobi:

Alternatives

1.Govt finds N3 trillion every year from the budget for just universites.
2.Govt increases fees to N500000.
3.Or we take another....loan!
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Ugosample(m): 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2018
grandstar:
Good Idea but Nigerian students aren't ready to be pay the real cost of education and there are no student loans available

exactly so

1 Like

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by theoldpretender(m): 12:56pm On Dec 09, 2018
greenek:

Let me speak for unilag.
500k for school fees per diploma student, and dey admit about 1k - 2k diploma students yearly, please do the Maths

25k for the entrance form, about 5k buys the form, then 1k - 2k gets admitted. Do the Maths please.

The cheapest hall in unilag collects nothing less than 100k per use, unilag has about 7of those halls of varying grandeur there's always Sha an event in unilag. Even if no event, student fellowship hold service in atleast 3 of the halls weekly. Please do the Maths.

Unilag bread is 300naira. Once you taste the bread, you get hooked, it's madly delicious. They sell atleast 500 (this is vaguely underrated score, dey sell far more than this) loaf daily.. Please do the Maths

Unilag water.. There's no student price for water o, the same price as water outside, 150 per bag..

Not to mention the shops for lease, payment for parking spacing in unilag by other organizations.

Many if this schools generate loadz of funds internally. Many of them does diploma or foundation or preddegre, minimum schools fees is 150k, where does the money go to?

Govt are not doing their part, we all know that, allocating less than 10% of the annual budget for education is grossly unfair looking at the numbers of public university in Nigeria,.

The senator calling for privatization of the university, would he and his cohorts agree for their overly inflated salaries and allowance be subsidized by say 70%, even at going home with 30% of what dey earn now, dey are still going home with alot.

Privatization of public university is not the solution, dey would only end up making nigeria grossly uneducated

And at the end of the day....the amount of money earned is probabaly about N50 million per annum.

Keep in mind that bills have to be paid, and things like overheads have to be paid for.

Meanwhile, the budget of a fully equipped university is about/at least $100million USD. Nigerian universites don't get up to $10million USD

I hear your argument...the problem is,the money, even as much as it sounds ,is not enough.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by greenek: 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2018
theoldpretender:

That is what I ultimately try to tell people sometimes.

In Nigeria, we have the mentality that if we pay N100 we will get $100000 service. And we have this idea that by exporting raw materials....we are all going to have enough money to go to school!

Yes ,our parents went to school for free. In the early 1970's, an average university in Nigeria had about 2000-3000 students,and there were just six of them. Compare with today's 70 state owned universites with populaitons of at least 10000 studentss.

Me,I no like Ben Bruce...but today,he spoke the cold truth. You cannot pay N1000 for a N20million car.

I disagree sir, yes we're paying peanuts as school fees. Our school fees bin subsidized doesn't mean it isn't bin paid by someone. It's just like the fuel price then when there was subsidy, you pay little price but someone has already covered for the remainder.
So sir, peanut comes from my pocket but by virtue of my parent's tax and other parent's tax, I pay my fees in full.

1 Like

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by theoldpretender(m): 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2018
grandstar:
Good Idea but Nigerian students aren't ready to be pay the real cost of education and there are no student loans available

Yes...but let's be honest....public education is going downhill.

Pretty soon,private education is going to surpass public education, and guess what this means for the job market (the poor lose out to rich kids with better degrees).

If we are not ready to pay the real cost of education...then we might as well stop complaining about 'half baked graduates' . What you sow you shall reap.

1 Like

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 09, 2018
staytravel:
I was thinking about this recently.... In most countries Universities are private.

If it happened at least Professors won't have to rely on the Government for their salary.
Bros Most Universities are public in most countries around the world. Please do your research well

1 Like

Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Friend01(m): 12:59pm On Dec 09, 2018
MediahelmNGR:
The common sense Senator representing Bayelsa East Consistency, Senator Ben Bruce, suggest all Federal and State owned universities should be privatize so that it will bring investors and also put end to ASUU strike. He wrote:

Source: https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/12/government-owned-university-should-be.html

Just like the same way AMCON could not shut down his business due to his 'long legs'.
Some of these over draft billionaires will not learn to focus on what they were supposed to focus on.
mtchewwwwww...
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by nzeobi(m): 1:00pm On Dec 09, 2018
Nosu:

Can't you think? Are you as dull as Ben bruce
Mr smart profer a solution.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 09, 2018
emrain:

What is the point having something that doesn't work? Think!

the question of inefficiency can be resolved in any parastatal ... beta plan & commitment will easily fix that

but ask ursef what will be the fate of a common nigerian seeking education when these public universities are privatised .. will investors subsidy tution fee or will they seek to maximize profit .. do they care what standard of living is , who does not know the universities will most likely be sold to politicians via proxy ...
Atiku spent 8yrs privatising ,obviously his plan is to come back & sell everything that remains as govt asset .. but can anyone mention one good thing privatization as offered nigerians ... reality check only ,donnt quote merits of privatization from textbooks to me.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by JohnnelBrown: 1:00pm On Dec 09, 2018
hakeem4:

Don't you know if our universities are privatized, the ordinary Nigerian won't be able to afford them.
There is no sense in Murray Bruce for this statement.
Because the average middle class Nigerian still struggle to pay for university education now, what happens if it is privatized?
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by MonsieurCoder: 1:01pm On Dec 09, 2018
greenek:

Let me speak for unilag.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

So you want Universities to generate funds by selling bread, selling pure water, leasing shops, leasing parking space and selling application forms to diploma students? grin grin grin grin
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by theoldpretender(m): 1:03pm On Dec 09, 2018
greenek:

I disagree sir, yes we're paying peanuts as school fees. Our school fees bin subsidized doesn't mean it isn't bin paid by someone. It's just like the fuel price then when there was subsidy, you pay little price but someone has already covered for the remainder.
So sir, peanut comes from my pocket but by virtue of my parent's tax and other parent's tax, I pay my fees in full.

Most of the cash used to subsidize education in this country does not come from taxes.It comes fromthe revenue we earn from oil. (In the past it also came fromrevenue we earned fromagric...which has collapsed since the 1970's...until cocoa came back a few years ago under the last admin).

Our tax rate is 6%of our income.

Meanwhile...countries like Germany and Denmark are classic examples of countries that really use taxpayers money to subsidize education. The tax rate there is 50% of earned income.(Jideofor Abaribe, a syndicated columnist,once told the story of how he met a Danish airport worker in Copenhagen who told him,that their government collects half their salary in return for free education).
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by greenek: 1:03pm On Dec 09, 2018
theoldpretender:

And at the end of the day....the amount of money earned is probabaly about N50 million per annum.

Keep in mind that bills have to be paid, and things like overheads have to be paid for.

Meanwhile, the budget of a fully equipped university is about/at least $100million USD. Nigerian universites don't get up to $10million USD

I hear your argument...the problem is,the money, even as much as it sounds ,is not enough.

For sure money is not enough, unilag pays 50m monthly for energy consumed by students.

We can't compare ourselves yet to the Harvard and Yale, what dey get as grants and relief from the private sector alone is very much. But the little we've, let's spend wisely, unilag is a very good example of this.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by nzeobi(m): 1:05pm On Dec 09, 2018
NessaBoo:

are you talking of primary, secondary or tertiary education?. please you can tell us how much Harvard or even universities in Ghana pay.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by duro4chang(m): 1:05pm On Dec 09, 2018
You are not serious at all.
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by greenek: 1:05pm On Dec 09, 2018
myboy2111:

Bros Most Universities are public in most countries around the world. Please do your research well

The person is probably taking usa for most countries, I apologize for him
Re: "Government Owned Universities Should Be Privatize" - Sen. Ben Bruce by greenek: 1:07pm On Dec 09, 2018
MonsieurCoder:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

So you want Universities to generate funds by selling bread, selling pure water, leasing shops, leasing parking space and selling application forms to diploma students? grin grin grin grin

I don't need to reply your message, you know nothing about bin industrious

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

CBN: Emefiele Ruled Out For Second Term, Failed To Get Buhari’s Endorsement / 2023: Tinubu, Osinbajo’s Camps Intensify ‘Campaign’ / Daniel Bwala: Church Rat, Poisoned Holy Communion Is Comment Offensive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.