Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:00 AM

Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb (8150 Views)

Jonathan Can Afford To Ignore Boko Haram - Cynical Politics / Clark - Jonathan Can Not Be Stopped In 2015 / Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Can Contest In 2015 - San (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by nobaga: 11:08pm On Aug 01, 2010
Jonathan Can Contest on One Condition -IBB
Written by Nuruddeen M. Abdallah   
Sunday, 01 August 2010 06:19
[General Ibrahim Babangida]

General Ibrahim Babangida
Former military president General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (rtd) has said that President Goodluck Jonathan can only contest the forthcoming presidential elections on the condition that the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP’s) constitution is changed.

The former military ruler, who spoke exclusively to Sunday Trust in his Hilltop residence, Minna explained that even though the Constitution of the Federal republic of Nigeria allows Jonathan to contest, the ruling party’s constitution has already zoned the presidency to the North.

General Babangida declared that though the Nigerian constitution allows Jonathan to contest “it will be preposterous to say that he shouldn’t. But the party he belongs to has set a rule which govern its conduct. And that party said this is the way we wanted it. And if people say he must, then they have the problem to resolve with the party.”

Contrary to claims that it was a gentleman’s agreement, the military president said that it was the party’s provision. He said that any attempt to drag Jonathan into the contest can only be done with the amendment of the PDP’s constitution.

Section 7(2)(c) of the PDP constitution states that “In pursuance of the principle of equity, justice and fairness, the party shall adhere to the policy of rotation and zoning of Party and public elective offices and it shall be enforced by the appropriate executive committee at all levels.”

Babangida said that the zoning principle was brought about by the PDP not only to capture power but also to also to allay the dominant fears of marginalisation. “It was done in such a way that every Nigerian: majority, minority, Muslim, Christians and even non-believers came together and agreed that if we win elections we would share offices. You remember the Tony Anenih letter? That letter said it all. You will find out that the distribution of power was based on the zones.”   

He said that it would be awkward to argue that the late Abubakar Rimi contested against Obasanjo, “I read those who argued that Rimi contested against Obasanjo, Gemade contested against Obasanjo and Okorocha contested against Yar’adua. I think that is the most idiotic reasoning I have ever known in life. This is because the party made a decision that the president is coming from the South-West. Whether they contested or didn’t contest, the candidate that was recognised by the party was the one that would pick the ticket,” Babangida said.

http://www.sunday.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4288:jonathan-can-contest-on-one-condition-ibb&catid=54:lead-stories
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by becomrich3: 11:22pm On Aug 01, 2010
Here is the PDP constitution online.

Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by becomrich3: 11:48pm On Aug 01, 2010
Yorubas would not field anybody, if Jonathan remove us.

Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by formunt(m): 12:23am On Aug 02, 2010
All retired military should be ban from active politics. IBB, obj ,mark etc ,these people are simply out of touch and lack common sense.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by becomrich3: 12:29am On Aug 02, 2010
Constitution is constitution. everybody has to obey thier party constitution
edo,delta ,Yorubas have international lawyers ready to go. It is about five hours flight to the hague.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 1:25am On Aug 02, 2010
The problem with vague and ambigous laws is that they usually don't mean much and their interpretation is based on who you ask.
The reason Jonathan Goodluck will not get PDP nomination will not be because of some ridiculous section 7 of PDP constitution but because the man Jonathan is no leader. He is an uninspiring, reclusive character and has not really demonstrated that he has any clue about what his job involves and the nation has no belief in his abilities.

Section 7of PDP constitution on zoning does not mean anything. It has not been implemented before because the law as a written law in PDP constitution only came into existence while Yar'adua was President and Ogbulafor was PDP Chairman. Hence in essence section 7 has not faced any General Election Cycle. I don't even know if PDP has had a convention yet to ratify that law yet (will need to confirm the status of that) and if that is the case its legitimacy even within the PDP may still be in question.
If However it has been ratified as a PDP law, AGF Mohamed Adoke can take PDP to court for having a law tramples on the fundamental rights of Nigerians and runs contrary to the Nigerian constitution and hence void. The Nigerian constitution allow all Nigerian Nationals over the age of 40 and resident in Nigerian the right to contest for the office of President. That right can not be zoned by the PDP to certain section of the country at certain times. And we all know that if any law is inconsistent with Nigerian constitution, according to section 1 of the Nigerian constitution, the provisions of the Nigerian constitution takes Supremacy.

Secondly, section 7 of the PDP constitution on zoning is vague. It does not have time frames nor dates showing that the PDP candidate for 2011 can not come from the South. All it talks about is "Rotation and Zoning". Well power has already rotated from OBJ (SW) to Yar'adua(NW) to now Jonathan (SS); and Jonathan has also appointed Namadi Sambo and that fulfills the spirit of zoning. So section 7 of PDP is being respected and does not preclude Jonathan from running even under PDP laws. But like I said in my previous point, if it does preclude Jonathan from running because of where he comes from then that will be an illegitimate law.

Thirdly, IBB suggesting that Rimi Vs OBJ or Gemade vs OBJ or Okorocha vs Yar'adua is an idiotic refernce; is simply being ridiculous by making that point. What does IBB mean when he says no matter the contestants only the party recognised candidate will win ( paraphrasing). Is he confirming that PDP has simply been zoning rigging and results in the last 3 PDP primaries? such that the Presidential primaries we have had in the past are all confirmed charades. If that is what he wants to say then he should say that clearer, but to bully the C-in-C of a country out of a Presidential race based of some weak and illegitimate law will simply not work.

I personally think IBB has capacity to pick the PDP ticket over Jonathan. He should contest and make his case to the Party delegates and win the PDP Presidential Primaries fairly if he can. But to think that he can in his usual self use some weak law to outsmart Jonathan and the rest of the country is simply not so the kind of IBB anyone wants to see in 2010 (a leopard never looses it spots).

Finally I severally asked for zoning to be written into the Nigerian Constitution as a law to be respected by all parties if we believe there is no other way to do politics. Unfortunately electoral reform through NASS has come and gone and nobody did that, they prefered to maintain a status quo that only thrive on who can con or outsmart the other region. I say if Zoning is not written in the Nigerian constitution let everybody forget. Let all who want to contest, contest.

Now that IBB is begining to play the legal card. Jonathan should immediately secretly sponsor legal action against the PDP asking the courts to interprete whether the Party has the right to implement such a law that excludes some Nigerians at certain times from taking part in the democratic process.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Abagworo(m): 1:34am On Aug 02, 2010
ibb is a maradona and his moves are predictable by a roberto carlos like me.ibb will step down for jonathan.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 1:38am On Aug 02, 2010
The dude is right . . . . it was added to their constitution, even if DENIED by the Chairman  and  many other people

http://www.peopledemocraticparty.org/constitutionpage3.html

7.2 The Party shall pursue these objectives by:

(a) ensuring that the programmes of the Party, as contained in its manifesto, conform with the fundamental objectives and directive principles of State Policy enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(b) promoting mutual respect for and understanding of the religious and cultural diversity of Nigeria.

(c) in pursuance of the principle of equity, justice and fairness, the party shall adhere to the policy of rotation and zoning of party and public elective offices and it shall be enforeced by the appropriate executive committee at all levels.

(d) striving towards african unity and fostering greater understanding and cohesion among all peoples of African descent.

(e) co-operating with African and other nationalist movements and organizations working for the eradication of imperialism, neo-colonialism and racism.

(f) co-operating with member nations in promoting the aims of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the African Union (AU), the Commonwealth of Nations, the United Nations Organizations (UNO) and other international and regional groups; and

(g) undertaking such other activities as, in the opinion of the Party, may aid the attainment of the objectives of the Party.

D E C L A R A T I O N

We hereby declare that this Constitution of the Peoples Democratic Party was ammended and ratified by the National Convention of the Party held in Abuja on the 20th day of April, 2009.[/b]Dated this 22nd day of April, 2009

Prince Vincent Eze Ogbulafor, OFR
National Chairman

Alhaji Abubakar kawu Baraje
National Secretary

Amazing how the same PDP members who knew of this agreement, and were aware of it's insertion into their party constitution now [b]DENY
knowledge of it. Even going as far as pretending they never gained from the arrangement. They all must take Nigerians as fools . . .
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 1:41am On Aug 02, 2010
BTW it seems to me that IBB, Babangida Aliyu, and Atiku's strategy  is to claim that zoning already exists within the PDP that it can only be removed via round table discussion. So that when you come for that discussion on those terms then you have already agreed that it does exist.

This people must think they are presiding over a Nation of 2year olds.

I can not imagine people giving the President condition on whether to run or not. This is what you get when you have an uninspiring leader who lacks confidence. You now have the Sultan of Sokoto getting involved in a debate that should not be his business.

Honestly this is getting sick.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 1:44am On Aug 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The dude is right . . . . it was added to their constitution, even if DENIED by the Chairman  and many other people

http://www.peopledemocraticparty.org/constitutionpage3.html

added when? (in 2008? when they claim it started in 1999?)

Like I also said that section in bold does not mean anything. It does not say the 2011 PDP candidate can not come from South. It does not say when zoned it must last for 8years.

People are just making up the rules as they go along. That surely is not how to conduct the affairs of a nation of 150 million people.

Why did IBB not call for zoning to be written into Nigerian constitution?
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Beaf: 1:48am On Aug 02, 2010
IBB is only looking for a face saving get out mechanism. It is all hot air.
This is the first sign that his presidential aspirations have faltered seriously and he is willing to negotiate some form of compensation.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 1:48am On Aug 02, 2010
mikeansy:

added when? (in 2008? when they claim it started in 1999?)

Like I also said that section in bold does not mean anything. It does not say the 2011 PDP candidate can not come from South. It does not say when zoned it must last for 8years.

People are just making up the rules as they go along. That surely is not how to conduct the affairs of a nation of 150 million people.

Why did IBB not call for zoning to be written into Nigerian constitution?

It does not matter WHEN at this point  . . . it may not have been in the constitution but it was finally added and I bet Jonathan and every other PDP member was informed or knew of it. It has been in the books for over a year now. It is time to cut the bull . . . and tackle reality rather than continuing to dance around to sentimental tunes. We may not like IBB but please let us deal HONESTLY in these things. He is not to blame for stating the fact here.

It may seem vague to you and I but IBB could use it against Jonathan. And if Jonathan is so DIFFERENT from the current crop, he would step to another party if he really believes he has what it takes. Donald duke already did that.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by nduchucks: 1:49am On Aug 02, 2010
It seems to me as if most of the commentators so far, are not card carrying members of the PDP. I say this because some of their suggestions would simply destroy PDP.  I venture to say that PDP members are not suicidal and plan to continue to rule Nigeria for some time. If jettisoning Mallam Goodluck will facilitate this objective, then that will indeed happen.

You people that are not PDP members should go and form your own parties and challenge PDP, lame excuses are getting old.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 1:53am On Aug 02, 2010
OATH OF ALLEGIANCE

I, , do solemnly swear/affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Peoples Democratic Party and the Federal Republic of Nigeria and that I will preserve, protect and defend the constitutions of the Peoples Democratic Party and of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. So help me God.

SCHEDULES II

OATH OF OFFICE

I,, do solemnly swear/affirm that I shall be faithful and bear true allegiance to the PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY, I shall discharge my duties to the best of my ability, faithfully and in accordance with the constitution of the party and always in the interest of the integrity, solidarity, advancement, well-being and prosperity of the party and the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will strive to pursue, enhance and achieve the aims and objectives of the party as contained in its Constitution and Manifesto; that I shall not allow my personal interest to influence my official decision; that in all circumstances I shall do right to all the members of the party and to all manner of people, according to law without fear or favour, affection or ill-will; that I shall not directly or indirectly communicate or reveal to any person any manner which shall be brought to my attention or which shall become known to me as an officer of the party, except as may be required for th due discharge of my duties and that I shall devote myself to the service and well-being of the people of Nigeria. So help me God.

WOW!!!
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 1:54am On Aug 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It does not matter WHEN at this point  . . . it may not have been in the constitution but it was finally added and I bet Jonathan and every other PDP member was informed or knew of it. It has been in the books for over a year now. It is time to cut the bull . . . and tackle reality rather than continuing to dance around to sentimental tunes. We may not like IBB but please let us deal HONESTLY in these things. He is not to blame for stating what we already know to be the case.

What was actually added. That they will choose their President via zoning and rotation? does that exclusively mean Jonathan can not contest in 2011 because he is from the South? does that mean a possible zoning policy from a previous election can be carried over to the next election? does it mean they will meet before every election and zone power to a particular region? what exactly does the section 7 you quoted above mean?

It simply does not mean anything.

I agree with you that it is time to cut the crap and deal with this issue honestly and the most honest thing we can do at this point is let all who want to contest to go on and contest haven failed to write zoning into the Nigerian Constitution with clear timeframes on who can take turns when.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 2:01am On Aug 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It does not matter WHEN at this point  . . . it may not have been in the constitution but it was finally added and I bet Jonathan and every other PDP member was informed or knew of it. It has been in the books for over a year now. It is time to cut the bull . . . and tackle reality rather than continuing to dance around to sentimental tunes. We may not like IBB but please let us deal HONESTLY in these things. He is not to blame for stating the fact here.

It may seem vague to you and I but IBB could use it against Jonathan. And if Jonathan is so DIFFERENT from the current crop, he would step to another party if he really believes he has what it takes. Donald duke already did that.

As President he is the party leader. Donald Duke can step out because he does not have the capacity to change the party but Jonathan does. He will not leave the party for IBB for PDP does not belong to IBB's father. IBB can leave and realise his ambition somewhere else if he wants. otherwise he should stay and win the PDP primaries on his own merit, not hiding behind some ridiculous law.

All Jonathan needs to do is sponsor a remote lawyer from somewhere to take the PDP to court and ask the court to interprete whether PDP can have such a law which runs contrary to Nigerian constitution in its Party constitution and this debate will be over.

That section of the constitution does not mean anything, but Jonathan can also take further steps to settle this issue. I am personally not a fan of Jonathan and will prefer someone else win PDP primaries. But this ridiculous zoning policy based on nothing just needs to stop.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 2:03am On Aug 02, 2010
mikeansy:

What was actually added. That they will choose their President via zoning and rotation? does that exclusively mean Jonathan can not contest in 2011 because he is from the South? does that mean a zoning possible policy from a previous election can be carried over to the next election? does it mean they will meet before every election and zone power to a particular region? what exactly does the section 7 you quoted above mean?

It simply does not mean anything.
Wrong!! The Party members KNOW what it means. . .  that you do not does not mean it means nothing. Like I said, it may seem vague to us, but this is a private group here and members have an understanding of how it is to be applied.

Now, I am not entirely sure when the piece on zoning was added but I will definitely do more research to get an idea.

mikeansy:

I agree with you that it is time to cut the crap and deal with this issue honestly and the most honest thing we can do at this point is let all who want to contest to go on and contest haven failed to write zoning into the Nigerian Constitution with clear timeframes on who can take turns when.

Such a dishonest way of arguing honestly . . . . lol

The honest thing to do here is realize that you are not part of, and have never really been part of the decision making machine for this party and so you really ought not to be taking sides in this, regardless of how you feel about it. This is a group that consists of members that are playing two sides . .  the public and their team members, against each other. And not until people like you and I can start seeing them as part of the PDP and not the underdog/ victims that need rescuing, will we figure out that at the end of the day, individuals in this party will go to any length to remain in power.

Following PDP law, IBB has a point and if he takes it to the PDP courts,there is a chance that he might come out winner. That some PDP members have, in order to save face, taken to denying the existence of a zoning agreement in public, will likely not change or help the other side much because it would be useless to call those to stand in this. Now we know that zoning agreement does exist and it is a group law, now instead of attacking IBB, we ought to attack those who lied to us by claiming it was a myth.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 2:08am On Aug 02, 2010
mikeansy:

As President he is the party leader. Donald Duke can step out because he does not have the capacity to change the party but Jonathan does. He will not leave the party for IBB for PDP does not belong to IBB's father. IBB can leave and realise his ambition somewhere else if he wants. otherwise he should stay and win the PDP primaries on his own merit, not hiding behind some ridiculous law.
lol . . . . Party leader is also subject to party constitution. It is sort of like the same way the President is SUBJECT to the constitution. I don't believe the PDP will sit back and let him do whatever he will with their rules.

mikeansy:

All Jonathan needs to do is sponsor a remote lawyer from somewhere to take the PDP to court and ask the court to interprete whether PDP can have such a law which runs contrary to Nigerian constitution in its Party constitution and this debate will be over.
lol . . . and you think the other PDP members will sit back watching him and do nothing about such stupidity? lol

mikeansy:

That section of the constitution does not mean anything, but Jonathan can also take further steps to settle this issue. I am personally not a fan of Jonathan and will prefer someone else win PDP primaries. But this ridiculous zoning policy based on nothing just needs to stop.
Dude, again, you can sit here crying it means nothing. Apparently it meant enough to the group for them to see fit to add it. That you are against zoning DOES NOT IMPEDE on the right of the group to select their leaders the way they CHOOSE. It is the arrangement WITHIN the party and it is NOT UNCONSTITUTIONAL(even though we try to pretend that it is). lol
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 02, 2010
who are the decision making machine of the PDP?

Ekwueme was first Chairman of PDP and he claims zoning existed in some form, Nwodo was first secretary of PDP but claims it only was a figment of some people's immagination and did not exist in real terms.

OBJ was the first President PDP produced and does not currently have a favourable argument for zoning, while Atiku supports zoning even when he Atiku almost ran against OBJ in PDP primaries in 2003. The history of OBJ vs Rimi or OBJ vs Gemade or Yar'adua vs Okorocha also shows that the policy never existed in real terms.

So if you are not clear that the party is confused and can not possibly have a code language here; I am. So that you are not conversant of what goes on in PDP does not mean that others are not. Section 7 of PDP constitution written in 2008 does not mean anything and in no way precludes Jonathan from the race. If it does that section of the law will simply be illegitimate.

If IBB wants to tell us that PDP has been zoning its Presidential Primary results even before the Primaries are conducted then he should be bold enough to tell us that and also tell us if that is the kind of favour he is asking for from the PDP.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by becomrich3: 2:16am On Aug 02, 2010
Jonathan would not be able to change thier party constitution , and IBB knows that, that is why he made the statement.  They did a convention during yar adua term. They were all into it. And now backfire.

The north who form the majority of the delegate to change the constitution would refuses.  So Jonathan has one choice, our international lawyers are ready.   (01)6472582755
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 2:17am On Aug 02, 2010
Kobo,

You are the one crying that it means something. I am not because I know that it means nothing and that Jonathan will take part in PDP primaries if he actually wants the job of President.

I personally am not excited about the Jonathan Presidency beyond 2011 but please lets stop running in circles.

IBB should go ahead and campaign to PDP delegates and say why he should be picked over Jonathan. If his ambition is based on Presidency being zoned to Gwari so that he will be the only contestant then he should forget it.

ALL WILL CONTEST.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 2:25am On Aug 02, 2010
mikeansy:

Kobo,

You are the one crying that it means something. I am not because I know that it means nothing and that Jonathan will take part in PDP primaries if he actually wants the job of President.

lol . . . I don't even have a say in this as I am not a PDP member but the PDP Constitution tells you it means something; even IBB is giving you a huge clue on this. No need to make this about me yet .

mikeansy:

I personally am not excited about the Jonathan Presidency beyond 2011 but please lets stop running in circles.
If anyone is running in circles here it is no one but you. You are shown
a) that the agreement does exist
b) it is legally binding since it not only exists in words but in the party's constitution
c) A prominent member is telling you here that he can possibly use it against Jonathan

I am concerned that you are not even shocked that you were lied to about this over and over by many other members of the PDP. Even more concerned that you think it is about you or that you will eventually have a say in this at some level . . .

mikeansy:

IBB should go ahead and campaign to PDP delegates and say why he should be picked over Jonathan. If his ambition is based on Presidency being zoned to Gwari so that he will be the only contestant then he should forget it.
ALL WILL CONTEST.
IBB is already saying why he should be picked . . not necessarily over Jonathan but over all candidates out there. He is likely not going to be the only contestant but if I have learnt how things go in the PDP house and then in Nigeria as a whole, I will not discount him becoming the candidate and then president at the end of the day.
Even worse, seems those of us who ought to be fighting to make sure that does not happen are not interested in doing much.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 2:33am On Aug 02, 2010
Kobojunkie

You may have learnt something new from IBB about what the PDP constitution says on zoning but I have not because I am aware of the rule. I researched that section while Ogbulafor was still PDP Chairman. So like you claim I am not being lied to.

I know the truth, and the truth I have enumerated so many times. I find it curious that you support zoning to be maintained in PDP but do not want it written in the Nigerian constitution. Is there any reaons why you support this two diametrically opposite policies?
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 2:43am On Aug 02, 2010
BUT WHY IS IBB HOPING FOR PRESIDENCY TO BE ZONED TO GWARI? IS THAT THE ONLY WAY HE CAN BECOME PRESIDENT?
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 2:45am On Aug 02, 2010
mikeansy:

Kobojunkie

You may have learnt something new from IBB about what the PDP constitution says on zoning but I have not because I am aware of the rule. I researched that section while Ogbulafor was still PDP Chairman. So like you claim I am not being lied to.

I know the truth, and the truth I have enumerated so many times. I find it curious that you support zoning to be maintained in PDP but do not want it written in the Nigerian constitution. Is there any reaons why you support this two diametrically opposite policies?

lol . . . nice one
Actually @Becomerich's post there is where I got that from. I had not been able to find the entry in the PDP Constitution before now. So, yes, I learnt something new today. But, don't attempt to lie to us now, as I remember YOU, not your twin, telling sometime ago that there was no proof such an agreement existed. Either you or @beaf came up with the "There is no proof that zoning agreement exists" line and you two have run with that for quite some time now. Note: The argument was never that it was NOT implemented but that it did not exist since some other folks were "allowed" to run for during past primaries EVEN THOUGH it is clear that they had no chance of winning because of the agreement.

I am sorry, I am at least honest enough to admit I now know where the agreement is(could possibly also be that I have been looking at the old site all this while since I don't remember the site looking like this one).
I support zoning? Pray tell, where exactly do you have me, in my own words posting that I do?

PDP Zoning is NOT, I repeat NOT diametrical to the Nigerian constitution in any way. Parties are allowed to nominate their candidates the best way they see fit. If they believe drawing straws or only allowing male candidates come forth, that is a decision to be made by party members. Nothing in the constitution states it cannot be so. So, let's stop trying to bring up the the Nigerian Constitution against this.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 2:54am On Aug 02, 2010
And I am still saying there is no proof zoning existed because PDP's activities and history does not prove that it did exist.

I came up with the OBJ vs Rimi line to prove my case. I am still making that argument because it is relevant. IBB and co are saying zoning always existed in PDP since 1999 but the background of the contestants does not support that claim. Gemade vs OBJ or Okorocha vs Yar'adua also support this claim.

So there is no proof that PDP has any policy of excluding certain candidates due to zoning and Jonathan Goodluck will not be the first.

Hence I am still saying that PDP's history does not show zoning exists, if you want to say that I still have not seen this law because I am still making this claim then good for you.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Gayigaskia(m): 2:59am On Aug 02, 2010
So my question is : If Jonathan wants to run and feels that he can win the elections , why don't he form a coalition that can help him do that? The Nigerian constitution allows him to do so if he wishes, and he currently has the most important asset that can win the presidency ;the presidency itself.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 3:06am On Aug 02, 2010
Yes Parties can nominate their candidates the way they see fit but they can not prevent Nigerians from within their party to aspire to lead the country at any particular time.

The debate here is not how PDP wants to nominate its candidates. The debate here is some people are asking Jonathan Goodluck or any other Southerner within the PDP not to aspire to lead the Country in 2011.

These are 2 different issues.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 3:13am On Aug 02, 2010
mikeansy:

Yes Parties can nominate their candidates the way they see fit but they can not prevent Nigerians from within their party to aspire to lead the country at any particular time.
Yeah right . . . lol
Parties can nominate their candidates the way they chose and in this case the party chooses to do so by zoning members. Simple!

mikeansy:

The debate here is not how PDP wants to nominate its candidates. The debate here is some people are asking Jonathan Goodluck or any other Southerner within the PDP not to aspire to lead the Country in 2011.
Sigh . . . This debate only exists in your mind, you know that right? The party is constitutionally allowed to nominate members the way it chooses. Zoning is a choice that is NOT against the constitution and so stands.
I find it amazing that you are willing to shut your eyes to zoning in every other area but this one . . Nwodo, Ogbulafor and the many other PDP chairs were selected on zoning. Why are you not debating that?
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Nobody: 3:38am On Aug 02, 2010
kobojunkie

Let me bring this debate to terms you will understand.

A company may have a coded policy that only white males are suitable for a particular job. They may end up always appointing white males for that job but they can not  (due to equality laws) explicitly state in their advert that Blackmen, Latinos, Asians or Whitemen should not apply. All will be allowed to apply but only white males may have a chance by default.

Thats the policy.

There may come a time when ownership of the company might change hands and may be they now have diverse shareholders and the sentiments within the company might change and then Blackmen may begin to have a real shut at that job in question.

So this is the issue. How PDP chooses not nominate its Party leader is different from explicitly legislating on who can contest and who can't. Jonathan is being asked not to contest which is illegitimate because they know that if he does contest he has a real shut. If Jonathan was not President and wanted to go for PDP nomination this debate will not be there. They will simply collect his N5m form fee knowing he will not win. But now its an issue because they know he has a real shut but unfortunately it is not up to IBB or anyone for that matter to decide for Jonathan whether to aspire to lead the country or not and he has a right to have that aspiration within PDP.

In countries like Britain, a racist party called the BNP was made to change its laws on who can and who can't join their party. All those who could not join BNP for being Black British have the choice of other main stream political parties. But no the laws of the land required BNP to change its party constitution to allow all who want to join BNP to join.

So PDP can be taken to court and forced to explain why it wants to legislate on who can aspire for the party nomination and who can't, and a court action will compel PDP to change its rule or they will risk not participating in the 2011 elections (How cool that will be) if they don't.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Gayigaskia(m): 3:45am On Aug 02, 2010
mikeansy:

You are making it like i 'am the one who doesn't understand the issue even though you clearly know my point . moreover this is not a south vs north problem as GJ ad IBB have supporters from both sides. The problem is really a matter of who can rally the masses for or against zoning. the way i see it this is already the primaries within PDP and it seems IBB is using the existing texts on his behalf to win. At the same moment Jonathan is deciding whether to run or not. If Jonathan can't win without PDP which is a useless party anyway then maybe he should not run at all , because this demonstrate how weak he will be as president. He already showed his weaknesses couple of times but he can get a pass for on the job training.
Re: Jonathan Can Contest On One Condition -ibb by Kobojunkie: 3:48am On Aug 02, 2010
mikeansy:

kobojunkie

Let me bring this debate to terms you will understand.

A company may have a coded policy that only white males are suitable for a particular job. They may end up always appointing white males for that job but they can not (due to equality laws) explicitly state in their advert that Blackmen, Latinos, Asians or Whitemen should not apply. All will be allowed to apply but only white males may have a chance by default.

Thats the policy.

I am sorry but that does not work at all considering

a) The PDP policy is not against the LAW, and so your equality law spin does not work there -- matter of fact, the constitution actually UPHOLDS zoning in appointment of top officers in the country. I can't remember the exact language right now but I remember we had the debate some time last year when Yar adua was still considering appointing Sanusi.

b) The advert inviting all to apply DOES NOT EXPLICITLY state " . . . Yorubas, Ibos etc should come apply and we will consider you all". No, they are informed of the existence of the zoning policy and understand what regions turn it is. If they still choose to throw their hats in, that is not the party's problem.

So, all are allowed to apply but only those that qualify will be considered. That is just it! Trying to spin this into what it is not, ain't gonna help!

mikeansy:

There may come a time when ownership of the company might change hands and may be they now have diverse shareholders and the sentiments within the company might change and then Blackmen may begin to have a real shut at that job in question.
Sure, and even when that happens, EVERYONE(shareholders and all) not just the new owner, will need to make the decision as to whether it is time to change or not.

mikeansy:

So this is the issue. How PDP chooses not nominate its Party leader is differently from explicitly legislating on who can contest and who can't. Jonathan is being asked not to contest which is illegitimate because they know that if he does contest he has a real shut. If Jonathan was not President and wanted to go for PDP nomination this debate will not be there. They will simply collect his N5m form fee knowing he will not win. But now its an issue because they know he has a real shut but unfortunately it is not up to IBB or anyone for that matter to decide for Jonathan whether to aspire to lead the country or not and he has a right to have that aspiration within PDP.
I doubt it is because they believe he has a shot . . .  seems more like they believe he may use his power to get things his way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15 Die As Rainstorm Wreaks Havoc In Lagos / Most Dangerous Special Forces Of The World. See How Your Country’s Army Looks !! / Fuel Hike Makes Deltans To Pay Higher Price In Delta State Govt Urban Transport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.