Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views (2285 Views)

Political Scientist And Observers Please Come In / Jonathan To Lead 33-nation Election Observers In Tanzania. / Arrested Election Observers Are Bonafide & Accredited Officials - INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by segoye2(m): 2:00pm On Apr 14, 2007
!
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by segoye2(m): 2:02pm On Apr 14, 2007
@ About 2.00pm, in NNPC Housing Estate, Warri, Delta State. The election process for the full estate has not began. Reasons for this are still unknown!
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by demmy(m): 2:04pm On Apr 14, 2007
LAGOS, Nigeria - Voters went to the polls Saturday in Nigeria to choose their state officers in the first of a pair of elections meant to solidify civilian rule in Africa's most-populous nation.

Many polling centers opened late around the country and a year of stepped-up violence continued in the southern oil region, which is desparately poor despite pumping all the crude in Africa's biggest oil producer.

In the main city of Lagos, voters entered election centers after an hour's wait, marked their ballots and deposited them in transparent containers for tallying.

Non-official road traffic was banned on Saturday and hoardes of young men spilled into empty streets to play soccer, using bricks and tires as goalposts.

Increased ranks of security forces were on patrol, many carrying brand-new Kalashnikov assault rifles.

Nigeria's 61 million voters will select their state lawmakers and governors Saturday and their national legislators and president a week later.

Since its independence from Britain in 1960, Nigeria has never seen power handed from one elected leader to another.

On Friday, President Olusegun Obasanjo issued a stern warning to any election-day troublemakers, saying security forces would act to forestall any violence.

"Let me assure all Nigerians that the federal government will leave no stone unturned in vigorously checking and sanctioning any acts of violence and thuggery, and other excesses calculated to disturb the peace or disrupt the elections," he said in a statement. Earlier this week, Obasanjo put security forces on high alert.

Under Nigeria's federal system, leaders in the 36 states wield great powers and control enormous budgets in Africa's biggest oil producer; the seats are hotly contested.

The campaign period in the country of 140 million has seen isolated bouts of violence that have left some 70 people dead, human rights groups say.

In the southern oil region, a year of increased strife continued Saturday. Gunmen attacked a police station in the main city of Port Harcourt, killing seven police and razing the building, police said. A notorious gang leader claimed credit.

Weeks of campaigning have been bitter. Politicians have traded accusations of corruption and shady dealings — most notably between Obasanjo's ruling party and top opposition figure Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who has fallen out with his boss and been banned from the race by the electoral commission.

Abubakar is contesting the ruling in court and the race has grown increasingly bitter.

"It is a matter of great regret that some supposedly highly placed individuals have been reported to be fanning the embers of discord, hatred, violence, and destruction," said Obasanjo, without elaborating or naming individuals.

Nigeria's voters will head to 120,000 election centers nationwide, with dozens of international observers and hundreds of Nigerian monitors watching the vote. Results are expected within days.

Obasanjo's 1999 election ended nearly 15 years of military rule. His 2003 re-election was marred by violence and accusations of widespread rigging. All previous elections were scuttled by military coups or annulments.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by segoye2(m): 2:08pm On Apr 14, 2007
Report from Lagos, claimed fights are everywhere, and lots of voters beaten mercilessly. While in Bayelsa, about 8 Police men are shot, Maybe dead or alive, no one knows.

Meanwhile, Kaduna had a peaceful election,
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by bolaoni(m): 2:43pm On Apr 14, 2007
I stay in Yaba area and yet to witness or hear any act of violence.

Everybody have been voting without being molested. Though
there are some "guys" waiting on the wings. Prolly for the period of
counting. cool
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by babasin(m): 3:01pm On Apr 14, 2007
thanks, any new update?
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by segoye2(m): 3:52pm On Apr 14, 2007
As at 15 Mins. to 4.00 pm, no sign of Election yet in NNPC Housing Complex, Warri.

Meanwhile, heard fighting is going on in bayelsa / Port Harcourt (Can any observer clear the air please)

@ Bolaoni,

Thanks for the update from Yaba
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by segoye2(m): 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2007
In Warri, no car moving, unless Private Cars, and everyone indoor. Indoor and Scared of what might happen next! While shotting is going on deep inside town.

@ All,
Please More Updates Please@
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by segoye2(m): 4:21pm On Apr 14, 2007
With the news on Punch News paper this morning, I guess INEC is confused!.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200704140354110
INEC raises the alarm on plot to declare fake results

By Musikilu Mojeed and Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja
Published: Saturday, 14 Apr 2007

The Independent National Electoral Commission on Friday said it had uncovered a plot by some politicians to declare fake results in the governorship and state House of Assembly election holding on Saturday (today).

Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Maurice Iwu

Briefing journalists in Abuja, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Mr. Andy Ezeani, said some politicians had perfected plans to declare fake results in the media and on the commission’s website. He therefore admonished Nigerians to ignore any result of the election that did not emanate from the commission.

He said only INEC had the power to announce election results. He said, “We wish to alert the nation that some people are plotting to declare fake results to cause confusion. They are also plotting to hack into our website to paste fake results.

“The INEC alerts the general public, the media, the election observers and the international community that in the general election that comes tomorrow (tday), only the INEC has the power to announce election results. Only complete and definitive results will be announced. There is no provision for release of bits and pieces of result for any election.

“Incoming or unfolding results will not be released to the public or published. Any such, anywhere, even if it is found on the Commission’s website, should therefore be disregarded.

Earlier, INEC’s Commissioner in charge of Publicity, Mr. Phillip Umeadi (Jnr.), warned that Nigerians should only believe results released through accredited broadcast stations. Umeadi also admonished Nigerians not to expect much from INEC, saying there was no way the country could have a hitch-free election.

He said the commission could only reduce the hitches that might arise from the election to the “barest minimum.” He said, “There is no way you can have a hitch-free-election, but we are trying to reduce it to the barest minimum. We can’t stop people from trying to commit suicide. There will still be people trying to sabotage the process.”

He also said that the Peoples Democratic Party governorship candidate for Imo State, Senator Ifeanyi; Araraume, was listed on the ballot in line with the Supreme Court’s judgment. However, the INEC official said the candidate would face a problem of eligibility since he is not being sponsored by any political party. (this statement is out of point)

Umeadi explained that the governorship candidate of the Action Congress in Anambra State, Dr. Chris Ngige, was not listed because INEC did not get the court order directing the agency to do so.

Earlier at another event, INEC’s chairman, Prof. Maurice Iwu, directed all the Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) to ensure that all electoral officers swear to an oath. Iwu gave the order in Abuja while commissioning the Civil Society Centre located within the commission’s headquarters.

He said the swearing of oath became necessary to commit all electoral officers who would participate in the exercise. Iwu said it was necessary for all officers to know the importance of the election and realise the consequences of any breach of the agreement.

He said the role of civil society could not be undermined, as they were partners in progress. The INEC boss reminded Nigerians not to see the elections as INEC’s duty but the responsibility of all the stakeholders to make it successful.

“On our part, we have done our bit with deliberate implementation of our strategic plans to ensure free, fair and credible elections,” he stressed. Earlier, the Coordinator of Electoral Reform Network (ERN), Mr Wale Fapohunda, explained that the commissioning of the centre would facilitate their desire to be in active collaboration with the commission.

Meanwhile, INEC has released eight dedicated hot lines to members of the public for election complaints during the course of the election. The lines are: 07034632620, 07034632621, 07034632737, 08083523853, 08083523843, 08083523887, 08076705285, 08076705238.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by OmoEko1(f): 4:24pm On Apr 14, 2007
So how are we gonna here the results cheesy cheesy cheesy

And when is voting over grin grin

Becos i want to know about Lagos State and Ondo State result grin grin
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by studdys(f): 5:18pm On Apr 14, 2007
this whole process sucks sad
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by Danoe(m): 5:36pm On Apr 14, 2007
Uyo is very calm and peaceful today being the election of State Governnors. I have observed that the indigenes are really co-operating with the INEC official on the conducts of the eletion. Security operatives are out doing their work to ensure a hitch free election in the State but we are still expecting the result at the end of the election.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by Mustay(m): 6:50pm On Apr 14, 2007
I hear anambra people didn't vote. Port harcourt people should tell us what happened there. D ondo deputy governor's arrest has been confirmed
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by Mustay(m): 6:51pm On Apr 14, 2007
Some people were paid 500 to vote too
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by Mustay(m): 6:52pm On Apr 14, 2007
It was also said that in the north, underaged people voted.
Even cows voted(joke)
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by lakeside4love(m): 6:54pm On Apr 14, 2007
Fashola is leadin everywhere in Lagos,

Some Pdp members n agent tried to disrupts voting in my local govt(Amuwo Odofin) this mornin, Even wit the presence of security men, They didnt allow the election to hold until 2:30pm, after more security men were deploy to the area,

They were claimin that there were some omission on the House of assembly for pdp,

I went there as a Voter n an independent observer, reporter, After the whole colation in my Local Govt, AC led in both the House of Assembly n the Gubernitorial votings,

News comin from other part of the states is the same,

But accordin to Inec, No one can announce any results for now, until they made the final colation,

I felt happy afterall, cos i wasnt deprive of castin my votes,
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by Mustay(m): 7:02pm On Apr 14, 2007
Alot of people weren't.
Inec created d problem of voters' list
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by hoao62: 7:09pm On Apr 14, 2007
I voted and i am saddened to say, the inec has disenfranchised Jimi agbaje;s supporters who are illiterate by failing to include his picture on the ballot!!!
This is a sad day in the history of lagos politics.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by debosky(m): 7:22pm On Apr 14, 2007
that is sad, was it only his picture that was omitted?
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by 9ja4eva: 7:29pm On Apr 14, 2007
Even at that they will be more than shocked you know.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by hoao62: 7:30pm On Apr 14, 2007
Yes. It was only his picture, but that is enough for people who cant read. On the other hand, i read somewheere that at different polling booths, AC people were telling people that Agbaje had stepped down for fashola and that was why his picture was missing. It is unfair and it is not right.
The interview on NTA and CHannels with Agbaje show that he was just as shocked at the development since he had submitted his pictures to INEC.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by azorjiu(m): 7:30pm On Apr 14, 2007
conduct of the election (and rigging) wasn't as bad as that of 2003 that produced the incumbents. "there is definitely an improvement". those are the words of my people i rang up a short while ago (in imo, one of the most peaceful states).
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by 9ja4eva: 7:31pm On Apr 14, 2007
Na wa oh.As far as Obanikoro doesnt win
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by debosky(m): 7:32pm On Apr 14, 2007
pity, I hope he popularized his party logo well enough to garner votes. any news on when results will be announced?
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by azorjiu(m): 7:33pm On Apr 14, 2007
hoao62:

Yes. It was only his picture, but that is enough for people who can't read. On the other hand, i read somewheere that at different polling booths, AC people were telling people that Agbaje had stepped down for fashola and that was why his picture was missing. It is unfair and it is not right.
The interview on NTA and CHannels with Agbaje show that he was just as shocked at the development since he had submitted his pictures to INEC.

i earnestly empathise with him. poor him! he would have won the election but for this omission.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by 4Play(m): 7:34pm On Apr 14, 2007
debosky:

pity, I hope he popularized his party logo well enough to garner votes. any news on when results will be announced?

This is not Canada,you won't hear the results for quite a while grin
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by azorjiu(m): 7:36pm On Apr 14, 2007
debosky:

any news on when results will be announced?

could be tomorrow, but in imo state, APGA won (the OBI of 2007, the lone son).
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by 9ja4eva: 7:37pm On Apr 14, 2007
Nothing on INEC Website yet.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by debosky(m): 7:39pm On Apr 14, 2007
@ azo like Obj said they 'allowed' APGA that state in the spirit of democracy,

he ordered his party to 'donate' some states to the opposition. what arrogance angry
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by azorjiu(m): 7:40pm On Apr 14, 2007
In 2003, the results were released rather early. Could still remember that Odili was declared the winner before the election was concluded in Rivers. I'm surprised the results are not yet out 3 hours after the election.

debosky:

@ azo like Obj said they 'allowed' APGA that state in the spirit of democracy,

he ordered his party to 'donate' some states to the opposition. what arrogance angry

Imo people appreciate Obj's gift. President Ahmadinejad of Iran did same a while ago. He release UK marines as a gift to the UK.

Joke apart, Imo is better off without Ararume. God used the disunity in PDP to rescue the good people of Imo.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by 9ja4eva: 7:44pm On Apr 14, 2007
Maybe a sign to free and fair elections.
Re: Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views by Mustay(m): 7:51pm On Apr 14, 2007
The constitution doesn't mention d use of pictures. But Inec introduced this and made a fool of themselves. What excuse 'll they give again?
411- Collation of votes don start

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? / U Agree Us Dollar Will Be Replaced With Amerio? Watch This Video / Lets Face It : Nigeria Is Moving At The Pace The Hausa Fulani Want !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.