Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,939 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

New States May Emerge October - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New States May Emerge October (5596 Views)

Audu's Wife May Emerge As Deputy Governor / Tinubu May Emerge as APC BoT chairman / Eshilokun May Emerge As Lagos Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New States May Emerge October by bawomolo(m): 3:13pm On Aug 02, 2010
Some of the proposed states include Lagoon state from Lagos; Oke-Ogun from Oyo; Oduduwa from Osun and Savannah from Borno.

why exactly does osun deserve to broken up? it should rather be merged back into oyo. lol@the names of theses states though.
Re: New States May Emerge October by bawomolo(m): 3:18pm On Aug 02, 2010
Nchara:

Nigeria needs 6 states ONLY. Two in the SE, one each in the SS, SW, NC and NE and none for NW. So every zone has equal number of states:7. Or we go back to zones (6 zones) and abrogate all the states- actually a preferred option.

why does the NW deserve none?
Re: New States May Emerge October by Chongaiman: 3:19pm On Aug 02, 2010
chyz:

[size=18pt] ‘New state may emerge October’
[/size]

Written by Kunle Oderemi, Lagos Monday, 02 August 2010

BARRING any last minute change by the authorities, new states may be announced on October 1, to coincide with the 50th independence anniversary of the country.

A source told the Nigerian Tribune in Lagos, at the weekend, that the thinking in official quarters was to make it a special gift for the agitators for new states on the historic date.

The source hinted that the plan was for President Goodluck Jonathan to announce the new states in his national broadcast to mark the independence anniversary.

But the source was silent on the level of collaboration of the presidency with the National Assembly, which had received hordes of memoranda for new states.

There was also no clue on the number of states that might be created, though the authorities had said the whole exercise would be based on merit.

About 25 requests for new states had been tabled before the National Assembly by various groups to replace the existing 36 state structure.

Some of the proposed states include Lagoon state from Lagos; Oke-Ogun from Oyo; Oduduwa from Osun and Savannah from Borno.

It will be recalled that the Senate President, David Mark, recently promised the creation of new states in line with the yearnings of the people.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/9071-new-state-may-emerge-october

This article is speculative in nature - nothing tangible in it. It's interspersed with words like may be, might and may.What or who does 'official quarters' refer to? There's nothing here to lose sleep over. Nevertheless, I for one, desire a new state because I am more or less a second class citizen in my state due to reasons of religion and ethnicity which even came to the fore recently when GEJ selected his VP.
Re: New States May Emerge October by Chongaiman: 3:22pm On Aug 02, 2010
bawomolo:

why does the NW deserve none?

NW has 7 states already. All other zones have 6 each save for SE which has only 5.
Re: New States May Emerge October by tpiah: 3:22pm On Aug 02, 2010
creating more states will benefit me personally, since i can run for senator or something, but anybody with sense knows making a state out of groups of villages hasnt helped nigeria in any way.
Re: New States May Emerge October by bawomolo(m): 3:25pm On Aug 02, 2010
Chongaiman:

NW has 7 states already. All other zones have 6 each save for SE which has only 5.

i get what u saying now but how does state creation help though
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nchara: 3:38pm On Aug 02, 2010
bawomolo:

i get what u saying now but how does state creation help though

Equality of states or back to zones (6 zones)
Re: New States May Emerge October by EzeUche22(m): 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2010
I have said it once and I shall say it again. The only state that should even be created is Anioma State. The Delta Igbos need their own state.
Re: New States May Emerge October by oladayo042: 3:49pm On Aug 02, 2010
New states, new senators, new reps and the paraphernalia that goes with it!  shocked shocked shocked
Re: New States May Emerge October by galamadrid(m): 3:57pm On Aug 02, 2010
Absolute nonsense from this non focused politicians. a country suffering from no power supply, bad roads, epilectic health system, bad leadership in all sectors of the government e.t.c u can continue with this list and they want to smile buy creating oduduwa state and others. its really pathetic!!!!!!
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 02, 2010
The cost of Government is already ridiculously expensive

There is no need for anymore states.
Re: New States May Emerge October by Aidee1(m): 4:16pm On Aug 02, 2010
ah! naija politrickcians, you guys are on it again, personally i dont see any iota of sense, hope or anything of such comin out of this,
for pits sake we dont need states, wat we need in this country is ppl who can stand for once,damn all the consequences and ensure that the right thing is done, and not creating small holes with ppl attempin tu drain the holes in the name of states,

may God/Allah help this country, cry cry wink angry angry sad
Re: New States May Emerge October by Carlosein(m): 4:32pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^^Help yourselves first.
Re: New States May Emerge October by GboyegaD(m): 4:45pm On Aug 02, 2010
What exactly are they trying to achieve via the creation of more states? IMHO, I would suggest we go back to our regional government however, for efficiency purpose, as against the 3 regions we had in those days, we could choose to use the geo - political zones this time thus, having 6 regional governments and Lagos and Abuja standing on their own. With this, we should be able to attain some self sustainance in each of the regions. The 36 states we have so far has only created more than enough troubles for our beloved country and as it is, we need wake up to reality before our time is past.
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 02, 2010
GboyegaD:

What exactly are they trying to achieve via the creation of more states? IMHO, I would suggest we go back to our regional government however, for efficiency purpose, as against the 3 regions we had in those days, we could choose to use the geo - political zones this time thus, having 6 regional governments and Lagos and Abuja standing on their own. With this, we should be able to attain some self sustainance in each of the regions. The 36 states we have so far has only created more than enough troubles for our beloved country and as it is, we need wake up to reality before our time is past.
maybe you should visit Gowon and ask him why he dismantled the regions and created states.why would a very powerful federal government want a regional federating units that would later become a threat to its supremcy.you see why regional government wont work though those with secessionist ideas may like the idea
Re: New States May Emerge October by jamace(m): 6:09pm On Aug 02, 2010
Creating more states in Nigeria presently can be likened to a man who has so many children that he can not carter for yet believes in producing more on the conviction that God gives and God will carter for them grin.
Re: New States May Emerge October by knice(m): 8:05pm On Aug 02, 2010
Other regions are having 6 and 7 states but the south east still have 5. How will they equal the inbalance?

Re: New States May Emerge October by sjeezy8: 8:18pm On Aug 02, 2010
lets be realistic there aint no way the NE and NW are going to vote for more states in the south without them being atleast one more state ahead of southerners.

So I know SE will get a state, I know SW will get a state (possibly out of middle belt) I know middle belt will get a state, I know Ijaw will get a state or two.

But in Nigeria- aint no way the North will vote for state creation without them getting another state added in the north. even though they are still ahead- In Nigeria people dont believe in equal amount of states.

Thats why it should be federalism- I believe with federalism the SW, SE, SS and Middle belt will have new viable states because the issues are more about ethnicity rather than allocation(that most northern states think of) where igbos want an igbo state out of delta, yorubas want a yoruba state out of kogi, and ijaw want a state out of rivers and akwa ibom etc . .- but it definately discourages the NE and NW from asking for additional states.
Re: New States May Emerge October by SSaemoenl(m): 8:46pm On Aug 02, 2010
What of the old ones? Creating states is never the problem, Is the implication of the little resource given to them. We must not be like AMERICA as long as corruption is the order of the day. Fools angry sad tongue embarassed cry
Re: New States May Emerge October by gowaga68: 9:22pm On Aug 02, 2010
i hear one mumu dey say make dem cancel TARABA u no get mouth. cool
Re: New States May Emerge October by davidif: 9:43pm On Aug 02, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOO shocked shocked shocked shocked cry cry angry
Re: New States May Emerge October by DrKnow1(m): 9:46pm On Aug 02, 2010
More States more Governors more first ladies more corruption more rubbish.
Re: New States May Emerge October by philip0906(m): 9:48pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^
as simple as dat. . .sick country
Re: New States May Emerge October by THEAMAKA(f): 11:09pm On Aug 02, 2010
[size=15pt]STOP CREATING STATES, THEY ARE POINTLESS!!!!![/size]
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 02, 2010
Yaayyyy!!! New States!!

Darn, this ppl are seriously trying to proof to us that they're doing their "job".
Re: New States May Emerge October by usbcable(m): 11:32pm On Aug 02, 2010
ON THE MARCH AGAIN,

create more states in order to create more political post for them to make more money from for their personal engrandisement.

when i watched the meeting of the lagoon delegation with the senate president concerning their agitation for the ''unpopular'' LAGOON STATE,

Painfully I dont know anything about Chief BABATUNDE OLUSOLA BENSON (SAN) and his crony group ''Lagoon State Creation Movement''

I just se it as another selfish motive and PDP would gladly divide the state(divide and conquer)

Old thieving men running around for greedy puposes. angry
Re: New States May Emerge October by DL(m): 11:58pm On Aug 02, 2010
Hopeless is the word.
and that "lagoon" state name is awkward, sounds more like the slogan of a state.
Re: New States May Emerge October by shellicon(m): 12:36am On Aug 03, 2010
Those fools in government,shld knw dat they are still owning South-East more states. Each of d six geo-political zones have up2 six states xcept S-East dat has 5 states in it 2 show unfairness. Nigeria ntoooo.
Re: New States May Emerge October by Smi1(m): 12:40am On Aug 03, 2010
We don't need new states in Nigeria, even the states available for now are in lack of infrastructure, good roads, regular electricity supply, so why is it that our leaders are in a haste to create more states instead of them to be busy doing their job in developing our country & image, I hate Nigeria leaders with passion angry
Re: New States May Emerge October by Okijajuju1(m): 12:46am On Aug 03, 2010
The states wey dey already no fit feed their self na to come create more useless states.

This is just another means of Spending Niger Delta Oil Money. angry angry angry

If they are gonna create more states, then we should switch to fedralism style of government and see how many states will survive.
Re: New States May Emerge October by eldee(m): 12:55am On Aug 03, 2010
It just means the power of the state diminishes . . . it will be interesting to see how they take care of the problems of arranging Senators.
I don't get what they want to do with Lagos though . . . my nieces live on the Island and go to school in Ikeja, does that mean they'll be travelling from one state to another??
Re: New States May Emerge October by Igbanibo: 1:23am On Aug 03, 2010
I dont think 25 states are enough, we need at least another 50 more,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Never Travelled To The United States - PDP / Breaking: Gov. Okorocha Moves To Stop Ihedioha's Swearing In As Governor / Support Biafra And We Will Shock You Miyetti Allah Warns Yoruba People (watch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.