Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? (22061 Views)

What Are The Best Self Help Books You Ever Read? / What is the Best Story you have ever read on Nairaland? - A Thread for Passion / What's The Best Story You've Ever Read Here On Literature Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by MrMacinterchi1: 11:58pm On Jan 17, 2019
dominique:
It has to be "The great Gatsby" By F.Scott Fitzgerald. The copy I saw in my dad's library was originally published in 1851 or so written in weird English. Confusing as hell. I had to put it away after less than 10 pages. They made a movie about it years later and I kept wondering why anybody would want to adapt such boring story into a movie.

I bet you haven't watched the � movie

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by nma4god(f): 12:00am On Jan 18, 2019
MikkySexy23:
Pride and Prejudice & Sense and Sensibility...both by Jane Austen. Although I finished the latter faster than the former.

I've read both, quite interesting but you must be very patient while reading to really grasp what they contain.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by dont8(m): 12:48am On Jan 18, 2019
AryEmber:
Othello, I'm never reading any untranslated stories by Shakespeare, no more sick English. I tried Lord of the Flies too but dumped later.
My nephew just translated this book to pidgin and needs sponsor.

https://www.gofundme.com/promote-pidgin-literature-in-nigeria?fbclid=IwAR2vId47IVGdEX_FegRg8uUutT-x4PnHZh6GYf6BbbwCpgxpub8ZI3zn8Ps

[url=https://lm.?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffile%2Fd%2F1-5mt_3W02ruuJVQuPVPMKKSrK1IF27Oz%2Fview%3Fusp%3Ddrivesdk%26fbclid%3DIwAR2m1ONfMTvhbWCY2YhENlp2FGMHhJSpZi_oP9WIln8kNloZnM_mN-QpDXc&h=AT39VNjQSjieFklloWY9C1lNzT4L4fGM2yzb-czHl6OyliWrJV4KcClv3ti0npFaC5dYvahhX__HOKbfm2A-yz7tg1FbmE7H0dDA8P9J55_AlgNls4SuPL0]Link here[/url]
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Phosphorus666(m): 6:55am On Jan 18, 2019
"Waiting for Godot", by Samuel Beckett. Sure a mind blowing masterpiece, simple in structure, but complex in depth. After reading the play in the Donald Ekong Library of the University of Port Harcourt sometime last two years, I asked myself what is this crazy Beckett trying to say. I went to the Internet to check what people have written about it, and I found out, to my shocking surprise, that everything is based on shallow speculations; no one knows its true meaning in the world over for sure. I will try it again sometime in the nearest future. Hopefully, I will come up with an interpretation that even the playwright himself cannot fault.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 18, 2019
toscolee:

The mayor of casterbridge -/Thomas Hardy

It’s the very one, thank you!
Cheers
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by DAramis: 11:28am On Jan 18, 2019
toscolee:

Is it Dante's hell or Dante's inferno. That's the most difficult book I ever picked up to read. Your dearest didn't get past a page. But I know it will be interesting for the ones that can understand, thou.
I can't quite remember the exact. Like I said, it was years ago I read the book.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by DAramis: 11:34am On Jan 18, 2019
Dami12345:

Anime.
They are like cartoons.
Only they are far better than any 99% of the best movies any American can make.
They incorporate ideology, strategy, philosophy, science. Music. They are master pieces.

They way the Japanese merge this works into their culture is shocking. I have learned more from this works about life than I ever learned in church or from my parents.
Can you drop some links for me to check it out? Or website to watch such anime?
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Dami12345: 11:56am On Jan 18, 2019
DAramis:

Can you drop some links for me to check it out? Or website to watch such anime?

Animeout.
Masteranime.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by ORI1(m): 12:15pm On Jan 18, 2019
kay9:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

The themes embedded in just this one anime... Let the dead stay dead. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The futility of war. "History" is rarely true. Unchecked ambition is as good as it is evil. Leadership comes with responsibility. Family and trusted friends are priceless. No matter the odds, never never EVER give up - fight with everything you have.

Mehnnn preach bro...Awesome anime
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by ORI1(m): 12:27pm On Jan 18, 2019
Dami12345:

So many themes.
What I love tho is the ideological battles, the shit in normal movies is just good vs evil, where good wins regardless of effort.
Anime's show the life of the villain, his goals , aspirations, desires.
They make him human. Its hard to hate such bad guys.

Like see doflamigo in one piece.
Or the bad guy in psycho pass.
Or leruch Britannia in code geares.

Awesome.

Yeah you right bro. I actually learnt to look at things from other people's angle. Lelouch and Kira's(death note) death pain me gan. Even that guy in psychopass sef.
Although I must say, I was surprised at the level of deep thinking/rationale that these guys pass through before making decisions and all. They have this set of strong ideals that makes me feel like I'm just ghosting through life sometimes.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Daeylar(f): 12:35pm On Jan 18, 2019
Love this thread.
Writing down names of books to read.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Dami12345: 12:42pm On Jan 18, 2019
ORI1:

Yeah you right bro. I actually learnt to look at things from other people's angle. Lelouch and Kira's(death note) death pain me gan. Even that guy in psychopass sef.
Although I must say, I was surprised at the level of deep thinking/rationale that these guys pass through before making decisions and all. They have this set of strong ideals that makes me feel like I'm just ghosting through life sometimes.

Those anime's make me fear those japs. Like is this how they are normally.
Exception thinking,
They can make an anime about shit and it will still be lit.
I Dont get how they do it but they are freaking awesome.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2019
dominique:
It has to be "The great Gatsby" By F.Scott Fitzgerald. The copy I saw in my dad's library was originally published in 1851 or so written in weird English. Confusing as hell. I had to put it away after less than 10 pages. They made a movie about it years later and I kept wondering why anybody would want to adapt such boring story into a movie.

Book is bulky as hell! Thanks to summarizations and reviews. I was almost forced to read the full text as an OAU fresher for a literature course. Thank God all of that is over now.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2019
obaataaokpaewu:
Omenuko! The one written with "old Igbo alphabets"

Speaking of Igbo, I'm a Yoruba who is infatuated (more of obsessed) with old and traditional Igbo books that is rich culture and deep language by the likes of Elechi Amadi, Chinua Achebe, Chimmamanda and others. I would love to have a soft copy of "The Concubine" or any of the oldies, e dakun!
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2019
obaataaokpaewu:
Omenuko! The one written with "old Igbo alphabets"

Speaking of Igbo, I'm a Yoruba who is infatuated (more of obsessed) with old and traditional Igbo books that are rich in culture and deep language by the likes of Elechi Amadi, Chinua Achebe, Chimmamanda and others. I would love to have a soft copy of "The Concubine" or any of the oldies, e dakun!
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 18, 2019
Sacchi1162:
In dependence...

Too long, ain't reading it again

I did JAMB 2015 and was already in the university by the time JAMB 2016 was going on, I visited a cousin who had just registered UTME 2016 and I saw the book lying around, picked it up and flipped about its first 16 pages. I loved it but couldn't take it home. Fast forward to February 2018, cousin had done JAMB and was now in 200L when next I visited, I was also on a semester break so I picked up the now old 'In Dependence' and took home, I had to start all over because it's been two years. I so loved every bit of it.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Palmerbarry: 6:45pm On Jan 18, 2019
Mathematics
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by obaataaokpaewu: 10:54pm On Jan 18, 2019
Iamoluwaslim:

Speaking of Igbo, I'm a Yoruba who is infatuated (more of obsessed) with old and traditional Igbo books that are rich in culture and deep language by the likes of Elechi Amadi, Chinua Achebe, Chimmamanda and others. I would love to have a soft copy of "The Concubine" or any of the oldies, e dakun!
Ehyah , i wouldnt know how to get the soft copies. Growing up, i read some of my MoM's "African Writers Series" novels. Novels by Elechi Amadi, Flora Nwapa, Chinua Achebe, Ngugi etc
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Cadec007(m): 1:14am On Jan 19, 2019
Nodogragra4me:
Me. Back then. Kings James version of the Bible was a no go area ... I even called it ,thou didst Bible .... But then I joined winners and discovered it was the standard Bible in the church

I had to pray to the holy spirit for help .. now I can't read any other version unless I am comparing with James version
try this Jehovah witness Bible its simplified and plain
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Nodogragra4me(m): 10:23am On Jan 19, 2019
I have over fifty versions of the Bible but Kings James remains by far the best for spiritual growth

Cadec007:
try this Jehovah witness Bible its simplified and plain
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 19, 2019
obaataaokpaewu:
Ehyah , i wouldnt know how to get the soft copies. Growing up, i read some of my MoM's "African Writers Series" novels. Novels by Elechi Amadi, Flora Nwapa, Chinua Achebe, Ngugi etc

��� I'll have to keep searching till I'll find. Thanks !
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 21, 2019
Savage200:
Rich dad poor dad! I don’t understand at all ...
Why? I just want to start reading it next month.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by moseph(f): 1:40pm On Jan 22, 2019
Julius Caesar by Williams Shakespeare
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Herodutus(m): 5:46pm On Feb 18, 2019
Checked86:
hahahaahaha. i saw the book in my friend's room and took it. He saw it in my room later and didn't say anything. I asked him not see as a thief he laughed and said; "stealing it is the best thing you have ever done to me". I insisted he take his book back but he rejected. I can't finish a page
You are funny
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by icekream(m): 11:37am On Mar 04, 2019
oloyolo:
that would probably be LA ROCHEFOUCAULD collected maxims and other reflections.

it was the first philosophical book I ever picked up. I eventually finished it, but boy my head was spinning for about 3days. I read tougher book this days (I guess my mind caught up or something). I reread it a few years later and was like son just look how dumb you were a few years ago.
Hello, can I send you a mail? Need to ask about some stuffs pls
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by onimcee1(m): 2:06pm On Sep 02, 2019
AryEmber:
I won't mind jare, thank you.
Sorry I didn't check my mentions
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by dupsai(f): 2:53pm On Sep 02, 2019
The trial of brother Jero, by Wole Soyinka.
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by triggaSG(m): 8:22pm On Sep 02, 2019
the bonfire of the vanities.....still don't understand what that book's all about
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Edopesin: 8:48pm On Jun 24, 2020
Static and Dynamic Mechanics

I thank God for my life
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by SpiritFree: 12:01am On Jun 25, 2020
Anastasia Noyvnk's - Allatra

A challenging read I must day cheesy

But in the end... It'll change how you see life smiley
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by Officialgarri: 1:15am On Jun 25, 2020
Lilymax:
The lion and the jewel
Old man and the sea
All shakespeare books(The Original versions)

zidek:
The Lion and Jewl by soyinka

Hi, do you have a soft copy (PDF, epub or any) of the Lion and the jewel?
Re: What Is The Most Difficult Book You've Ever Read? by jeff1607(m): 1:26pm On Jun 25, 2020
Aláwìyé

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sequel To "without A Silver Spoon" By Eddie Iroh / The New Story Of Harry Potter And The Cursed Child / Behind The Clouds By Ifeoma Okoye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.