Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? (31425 Views)

Umahi: Anybody That Closes His Shop On Monday Should Forfeit The Shop / The South Should Rise Up Or Shut Up / Peter Obi Walked Through Awka And Shut It Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by erico2k2(m): 6:39pm On Dec 16, 2018
nokatakata:

Don't mind them. If thieves keep coming around will they even have customers and be able to make any money? or will the thieves not steal from both the shop owner and customer if they had the opportunity to?
Use the bank as case study? what measures did they put in plce? or did they close the bank?

1 Like

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by deomelllo: 6:39pm On Dec 16, 2018
Deepthoughts:
That would not be possible,you are just trying to justify osibanjo's position by warped logic,if you stay in the shop ,watch over it properly n take effective measures it can't be looted daily,all businesses face risks,the ability to overcome n neutralize the risks n remain profitably functional is the Hallmark of managerial acumen.obi was very right but you are free to go n try osibanjo's method, I'm certain you are going to get the Apc result.

Please explain to us how the EFCC prosecuting and sending looters to jail closed Nigeria.

Is the EFCC running Nigeria or when people send petitions, so they send it to Aso Rock or the EFCC.?

You people are not making any sense with this lame and corrupt argument.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by nokatakata: 6:41pm On Dec 16, 2018
chiedozie198100:

you seethat simple basic intellectual analysis you BMC guys can not handle.

Peter obi said keep the shop running, while you create measures to stop the stealing.
legitimate customers that actually grow ur business should not be shut out, as u r busyy chasing the thieves.
you can run ur business and still chase the thieves.

how do you keep a shop running when thieves are constantly robbing you? do you people have any common sense at all. All these your two by two shop you manage is always deceiving you. make money for thieves and keep it for them to come take. how the phuck will you even have customers when your customers know they might lose their money to thieves if they come near your shop.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by deomelllo: 6:44pm On Dec 16, 2018
erico2k2:

Use the bank as case study? what measures did they put in plce? or did they close the bank?

1. The banks are Private entities, not government institutions.

2. Laws, rules and regulations are already in place to prevent prevent looting are already in place.

3. When looters violate these rules and measures, the EFCC steps in to prosecute and jail offenders.

This is public administration and law enforcement 101
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by deomelllo: 6:47pm On Dec 16, 2018
nokatakata:

how do you keep a shop running when thieves are constantly robbing you? do you people have any common sense at all. All these your two by two shop you manage is always deceiving you. make money for thieves and keep it for them to come take. how the phuck will you even have customers when your customers know they might lose their money to thieves if they come near your shop.

It's really baffling for real. I don't see the sense and logic in their senseless and backward argument.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by Preciousseed(m): 6:48pm On Dec 16, 2018
The question I will like to ask is this, what if the shop was not looted but was engulfed by fire? If you will close shop because of theft, what that means you will do more worse thing like suicide when engulfed by fire.
Meanwhile, with proper strategy and planning, even a shop engulfed by fire can start all over again and grow, how much more one that was looted. I don't think closing shop to go after a thieve is a good business strategy.

1 Like

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by nokatakata: 6:48pm On Dec 16, 2018
erico2k2:

when armed robbers kept disturbing most banks in ekiti state, at some point, some banks had to close for some days, even weeks before they were certain that security was in place, even with security in place, some banks were working half day.

tackle the security issue once and for all and have peace of mind to open your shop and make money. You people should stop acting as if you are the only ones who have sense and can do business. If there is no security , you wont make any money.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by maasoap(m): 6:49pm On Dec 16, 2018
lonecatt:
if dangote and the rest close shop just to chase thieves do you think their businesses will grow every year?

Nigeria economy has grown from bad to worse under buhari and even yesterday he told the governors to prepare for more hardship,the dullard and cattle rearer have done irreparable damage to the Nigeria economy.

He has not only closed shop
He has sent away all the customers he has
He has made Nigeria the head quarter of poverty.

You guys can turn the truth on its head, who cares. But I knew through Okonjo that Jonathan borrowed money to pay salaries of workers in the last three months of his administration.
How would you now claim that Buhari closed the shop while chasing thieves because I knew that he just plugged the leakages and started paying the workers salaries without issues?
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 16, 2018
Righteousness89:
I blame our Educational sector !its lost it totally!

No wise man will lock shop totally cos u will end up losing at both ends!

You become Hungry and u catch no one...

Wisdom tells you to bring up new ideas that will beat the Criminals st the same time business continues!

For Example look at the Nigerian Entertainment! Despite the piration of works and all dt, did they stop movies and seek nging? No! Many of them have acquired means to limit theft of their properties!
That's how it should be!

We are in a Jet age and so there are lots of trainings and all dt that will put u ahead of the Criminals

When Jonathan said we need strong institutions and laws and not hard handed approach, they called him a criminal

2 Likes

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by deomelllo: 7:01pm On Dec 16, 2018
maasoap:

You guys can turn the truth on its head, who cares. But I knew through Okonjo that Jonathan borrowed money to pay salaries of workers in the last three months of his administration.
How would you now claim that Buhari closed the shop while chasing thieves because I knew that he just plugged the leakages and started paying the workers salaries without issues?

They actually wrecked the shop because they were borrowing hundreds of billions to pay workers salaries till their last week in office.

If fact, the shop was about to close and collapse because the same looters spewing this nonsense looted the shop dry, but PMB didn't let the shop collapse by giving out 2 rounds of salary bailout funds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by nokatakata: 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2018
deomelllo:

It's really baffling for real. I don't see the sense and logic in their senseless and backward argument.

they always look at everything with tribal and emotional sentiments. I am not surprised at their foolish.ness at all. If they can follow a jobless nnamdi kanu and call him their supreme leader and even foolishly believe that buhari is cloned as their supreme leader claimed, why won't they support and applaud the gibberish coming from adaobi. The adaobi liar that claimed he had only one wrist watch and was later busted.

These people be talking as if they have not experienced robbery. When thieves come to their mumu two by two shop, they come with intention to steal and kill if one tries to stop them, even if you don't stop them some kill for fun. If you die, how will you make money and feed family or even own any shop. These ipod people can make person vex too much some times. Their matter tire me.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by corporatesense: 7:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
Read carefully, obi mentioned to put security measures to quench the stealing, so how would you lost all the inventories when proper security measures has been taken to keep the shops secured.
You lack business acumen
Afamed:

There will be no shops eventually when the inventory is hourly looted by the thieves.

1 Like

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by nokatakata: 7:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
exlink10:
Obi was right on this analogy while Osinbajo was very wrong. In fact, I'm disappointed that Osinbajo said shops should be closed to chase after thief. He is too learned to say that. Though most people will not second this but check me out here:

Will a parent starve his children because they want to save and build their own house so as to stop paying house rent?

Will residents in a street not find a way to channel water away from their street (if threatened by flood) instead of waiting for the government to build their road?

If you are sitting down with your luggage at the airport and someone rushed and pick one and run off, will you not secure the remaining before you start chasing after the person.

Lastly, why didn't Nigeria Movie Industry close shop in other to chase after thiefs? (Pirates)? This is jet age guys one need to keep up with things, take good measures to manage risks and unfortunately 78 or 90 years old man in Aso Rock can't do that.

Truth is this, Peter Obi said that analogy from the standpoint of an economist and a seasoned manager. Most of you may not know that this is actually a away to manage risks. Ask those who know a little about rist management.

I will also like to disclose that am not in support of either APC or PDP. This analogy is reality.

Theif came to your house and stole, first thing you need to do is to study how they did it, put measures so that it wont happen again and then chase after them and make sure they pay dearly.

Not closing your shop and chasing after them. All other thing will become halted. That is a lame way to manage risk.

In case you don't understand anything above, let me explain in a lay man's term:

Imagine Nigeria as a giant company owned by an individual or group of individuals, are you saying the company should shut its doors because thief looted their goods or resources?

thats lame guys, because they will loose all their customers, goods and more and more resources. this is what is happening in Nigeria today.

will a parent be alive to feed his kids if he is killed and looted by thieves? Una two by two shop sense no dey make una reason fine.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by Deepthoughts: 7:09pm On Dec 16, 2018
deomelllo:

Please explain to us how the EFCC prosecuting and sending looters to jail closed Nigeria.

Is the EFCC running Nigeria or when people send petitions, so they send it to Aso Rock or the EFCC.?

You people are not making any sense with this lame and corrupt argument.
it's you that is not making sense,the instances you stated above clearly supports obi's position that you should not close the shop but keep it running while taking measures to safe guard it n remain in business,just accept that osibanjo's view is wrong there is no shame in it,but I doubt because as zombies you would have to wait for directives from your ogas at the top!, hahahahahaaaaah!.

3 Likes

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by erico2k2(m): 7:13pm On Dec 16, 2018
nokatakata:

when armed robbers kept disturbing most banks in ekiti state, at some point, some banks had to close for some days, even weeks before they were certain that security was in place, even with security in place, some banks were working half day.

tackle the security issue once and for all and have peace of mind to open your shop and make money. You people should stop acting as if you are the only ones who have sense and can do business. If there is no security , you wont make any money.
there is money to be made everywhere, security or not, if not so people wont be making money in Nigeria cos Security as a whole in Nigeria is nada.back to the topic, back to the question,the bank never closed, they only ammended thier security strategy!The bank did not go after the thieves rather it concentrated on biffing up its o wn security.The Ekiti banks never went after teh thieves, the passed thier complains to the police and went back to their Job of sorting out security at their premises.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by erico2k2(m): 7:16pm On Dec 16, 2018
deomelllo:

1. The banks are Private entities, not government institutions.

2. Laws, rules and regulations are already in place to prevent prevent looting are already in place.

3. When looters violate these rules and measures, the EFCC steps in to prosecute and jail offenders.

This is public administration and law enforcement 101
1 The SHOPS are private
2.there is always laws, there has been.DO they work or selective?
3 Are the EFCC not biased in their dealings?

1 Like

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by FirePower1(m): 7:18pm On Dec 16, 2018
The parameters given are necessary but insufficient to answer the question objectively. Before given answer, I would like to know if there are thieves, who are the thieves, what is the value of the stolen goods, will I be able to recover it, what is the value of the goods left behind, what are the probable profit, time, goodwill and energy value of loss to chasing the thieves, what are the future consequences of each decision and finally, will I be proud of the chosen decision before The God who made and owns me.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by EnaibeSam: 7:20pm On Dec 16, 2018
It is only a thief that sympathises with thieves. If you ignore the thief one day the shop be empty.

A manager that ran a business for 16 years, looted it to recession and now another manager has taken over the business for 4 years and try to fix the damages made in 16 years by the former manager.

Now, are we saying that the former manager that looted the business for 16 years is preferable to continue running the business?
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by python2gbera: 7:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
Is there any working economy that doesn't chase after criminals?. Technology being a measure, only complements the efforts in bringing criminals to justice. You bring a criminal to justice! and that being the point of Osinbajo. Athuefku pigs should stop glorifying stupidity.. Chasing after criminals means bringing criminals to justice, a process which PDP are dead scared of.

-python2
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 16, 2018
Some people are very stup!d in this country angry..

It's not the example (shop and thief) that matters here, it's what it means, dumbos angry

Shutdown economy to chase thief, id!ot.

No offense, but whoever that supports APC or whatever gibberish they spill is either gaining massively from the chaos or is very very stup!d.

2 Likes

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by nijabazaar: 7:45pm On Dec 16, 2018
Nnemuka:
So because thieves Stole from me, instead of installing CCTV cameras in other to catch next thief I should rather close shop in pursuit of the first thief?

Nne, that's a good question

2 Likes

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 16, 2018
erico2k2:

How do you think countries of the west fight corruption?? stop all waht they are doing/? or put i n pkace preventative mesures.
but knowing Nigeria, wel, saying one thing means doing another thing!
Start with the reference Peter Obi made. The starting point is first to eradicate them all. Kill them all first. And if we really probe the matter well, that Peter Obi himself will be among the first to face capital punishment. He is not innocent. They are all corrupt. So, he can never support capital punishment for corrupt people. Even, he will not support jail term. He is just saying what will make you vote for him to embezle again. Open your eyes.

As regards the western whatever you mentioned, let me use cancer treatment to explain it. When cancer is at its early stage like a tumor, you can even do 1 million things at the same time without much stress cos of the tumor. But when it reaches "stage 99" like Naija's own, the only remedy is nothing else. Even before it reaches the stage, doctors remove tissues and cells via surgery. Even some good tissues are scrapped off. Where does the patient stay? No choice but focus on killing that cancer; else, it will kill the patient. And the patient remembers his God that time. Lol.

My guy, corruption is a deadly cancer. The last person you expect to act abnormal will do. To the extent that youths do not want to do legitimate work again. See, that cancer is affecting even the hardworking type. Às long as you are Naija, you are a suspect. I really think you have not moved out of this country yet. When you do, you will bury your head in shame. Forget, the Peter Obi that is making mouth. WAs he not the one sharing money during an election in one video. PDP and APC are both nonsense parties. It is your future you are toying with by buying into the gabbages they are feeding you. I wish you well

1 Like

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by BrokenTV: 7:58pm On Dec 16, 2018
Afamed:

Stop contradicting yourself and Obi. Obi never gave any measures to combat the thieves. That was why everyone laughed at his submission yesterday. You can't keep open your shops for looters while your inventory is stolen 24hrs , eventually there will be no shops one day
I can see you are having comprehension problem here is Obi full statement leading to that,

Obi said, “It is not that you cannot fight corruption but you can fight it more aggressively while addressing economic issues. For example, in 2015, unemployment was 24 percent. Today, it is 40 per cent. In 2015, we attracted $21bn in Foreign Direct Investment but we attracted only $12bn last year. Our GDP was $500bn in 2015 while per capita was $2, 500 today it is under $1, 900.

“If you look at our stock market, we have lost over N2tn in one year. So, that is not a policy. You’re just fighting corruption, you are not creating jobs. You cannot shut down your shop and be chasing criminals.”

1 Like

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by BrokenTV: 8:03pm On Dec 16, 2018
mushystuff:

Obi did not say you should allow the thieves s free run. Instead u must be savvy enough to deal with the thieves whilst keeping ur shop open n even expanding operations so you don't go hungry and dependent on others for what u ought to be able to do or provide for urself.
Leave that kid Afamed to keep distaughting facts here is Obi statement that lead to that.

Obi said, “It is not that you cannot fight corruption but you can fight it more aggressively while addressing economic issues. For example, in 2015, unemployment was 24 percent. Today, it is 40 per cent. In 2015, we attracted $21bn in Foreign Direct Investment but we attracted only $12bn last year. Our GDP was $500bn in 2015 while per capita was $2, 500 today it is under $1, 900.

“If you look at our stock market, we have lost over N2tn in one year. So, that is not a policy. You’re just fighting corruption, you are not creating jobs. You cannot shut down your shop and be chasing criminals.”

1 Like

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 16, 2018
Nnemuka:
So because thieves Stole from me, instead of installing CCTV cameras in other to catch next thief I should rather close shop in pursuit of the first thief?
Sorry bro. The biggest thieves operate via fibre optics. I wonder why Osinbajo even went the line of arguing with the shop analogy. In this computer tech days one is talking of CCTV to catch fibre optic thieves. Lol. CCTV catches small thieves. The bigger thieves use pen, fibre optics,etc. So, go install CCTV to catch those boys duping others via internet. You and that Peter Obi are damn funny. Lol. Anyway, he is from the east. They are shop oriented there. They better learn to move online fast before they find out that no one patronizes them again. That shop stuff is funny. Lol.

Can CCTV catch Abacha? hahahhaa
Even he was smart that the present president vouched for him that he stole nothing. Is it not just less than 0.0000.1% of the money he stole that was returned recently by the Swiss govt and oga in Aso rock was thanking them. Money that can pay all civil servants in Nigeria for 6 months (just saying). Lol. And that is just 0.000001% of what he stole. But your cctv camera can only catch the man who stole N10 candy. Lol.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by cosse(m): 8:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
Afamed:
Is there a sense in what you typed up there?
lol.....i swear me sef dey find the sense in dis statement
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by exlink10(m): 8:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
nokatakata:

will a parent be alive to feed his kids if he is killed and looted by thieves? Una two by two shop sense no dey make una reason fine.

The only thing i have to say to u is, if u got looted, please close your shop and chase the thieves ok.

u will succeed that way
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by ernecy(m): 8:15pm On Dec 16, 2018
The solution is relative, and depends on the situation. Both of the am are right if u understand the concept of shop from they perspective.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by bizzibodi(m): 8:16pm On Dec 16, 2018
lonecatt:
buhari closed shop to chase thieves which is why he made Nigeria the head quarter of poverty and hunger.
Osibanjo cannot stand obi when it comes to economy and finance.his performance in anambra state have a lot to speak for him.

If it is business I will advise buhari to close shop and tend to his cattles in daura.
Peter Obi is so good in economy...& Why did he not turn anambra to CHINA?

1 Like

Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by Ivanspring(f): 8:17pm On Dec 16, 2018
BrokenTV:

I can see you are having comprehension problem here is Obi full statement leading to that,

I think these quotes should be circulated here on nairaland so that those who were not able to watch the debate can read exactly what Peter Obi said.

How these BMCs sleep at night after spreading lies to the public is a mystery.
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by bizzibodi(m): 8:19pm On Dec 16, 2018
magoo10:
the thieves cannot be there always to steal from your shop

How about employing security operatives to guide your shop, in this case employ forensic experts .

The question remains how do you close shop to run after thieves when there is a lot of money to be made in solving day to day economic problems? Obi made a valid point there and osibanjo merely replied in the most childish manner, he should have just kept quiet.

Running a business or economy is not same with studying law.
Economy is still running,u mean inviting our police to guard your "shop"?
Re: Stay In The Shop To Make Money Or Shut It Down To Pursue Thieves? by bizzibodi(m): 8:24pm On Dec 16, 2018
Righteousness89:
I blame our Educational sector !its lost it totally!

No wise man will lock shop totally cos u will end up losing at both ends!

You become Hungry and u catch no one...

Wisdom tells you to bring up new ideas that will beat the Criminals st the same time business continues! Lol

For Example look at the Nigerian Entertainment! Despite the piration of works and all dt, did they stop movies and seek nging? No! Many of them have acquired means to limit theft of their properties!
That's how it should be!

We are in a Jet age and so there are lots of trainings and all dt that will put u ahead of the Criminals
Your submission shows u are a bad product of d our education system u talk about...was d Economy shut down for a day??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ifunanya, Orji Uzor Kalu's Wife's Birthday: Senators Celebrate With Them / Rivers Govt Petitions Defence Minister Over Amaechi, Orders Arrest Of 27 Persons / APC RALLY In Ikwerre LGA, Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.