Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,156 members, 7,821,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 (24616 Views)

Why I Wrote UTME Again, Unizik’s Best-graduating Student Reveals / Toyosi Craig Wins Most Outstanding Student Award In South Africa (Photos) / Ahmed Bature, Nigerian Defence Academy Best Graduating Student (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by uuzba(m): 5:27pm On Dec 16, 2018
hisexcellency34:
It's the same in UI English Department too. Doing shakara on top of a course that is not lucrative. Who Shakespearean Literature epp?
When you are busy shelling. Adding "S" to the wrong words....
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by MrImole: 5:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
O ga o
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Originalsly: 5:32pm On Dec 16, 2018
Hmmm.... who ever is withholding needs to be stoned in his car with rotten eggs.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by tabithababy(f): 5:32pm On Dec 16, 2018
cheesy.

Great ife
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:39pm On Dec 16, 2018
rasaquadri:

y do u always try to compare federal universities with covenant university?

He's a brainwashed CU zealot
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by KingOvo(m): 5:41pm On Dec 16, 2018
HigherEd:

Even if I did, what would be the problem with that? I don't want anything to do with any federal university in this life but I recognise the inequalities they would breed in the future. Maybe grade deflation a decade ago was ok when all parties consented to it. But in this era a UI wants 25% of her graduating class with first class in the nearest future. It's in their strategic plan for 2021.

A CU is willing to give it to as many people who merits it. Access bank would not prefer an OAU grad to an LBS, CU or Babcock grad because it is harder at OAU
Thank you for making so much sense.
Employers don't care which school you come from, forget that you finished from a university with tough lecturers, if employers ask for a 2.1 and you go there with a 2.2, your CV will be used to sell Akara.

3 Likes

Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by babtoundey(m): 5:43pm On Dec 16, 2018
hisexcellency34:
It's the same in UI English Department too. Doing shakara on top of a course that is not lucrative. Who Shakespearean Literature epp?

Not just English department my brother. I know of another department in that same faculty, that same school, where some of the key lecturers are disgusting sadists. No matter how brilliant you perform, with them, your grade is stipulated. if they no come like you, forget you have anything called CGPA.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by SAMBARRY: 5:53pm On Dec 16, 2018
HigherEd:
Rubbish! Stupid school!
You just made life a little bit harder for them. If they apply for competitive scholarships in the UK with their counterparts from Covenant who got awarded first class in the same English department, they would lose out because you chose to deprive them of what they deserve and could easily have helped them triumph over any competition for jobs.

If public schools continue in this manner then they would soon discover they have the monopoly on producing poverty stricken graduates.
this is so unjust,unfair and painful.smh

What a waste for lecturers
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by ajeamos: 5:54pm On Dec 16, 2018
Hi.. This is Ajelelye Amos. Finished Serving few days ago, please kindly contact or connect me with a job in Port Harcourt. God bless. amosajeleye@gmail.com 08134636848
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
How can this cock and bull story be acceptable.A session that ended more than 2/3months ago.Results approved by Senate and convocation awards announced.How can anyone reverse that?Even the chancellor can't do that not to talk of ordinary deen.Pls,say something else reasonable.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by DaRuud(m): 6:07pm On Dec 16, 2018
Na waooooooo

CrimeBuster:
As reported by Premiumtimesng and major dailies on 13th December , 2018. Two female students broke 21- year record in English Department at the just concluded Obafemi Awolowo University 43rd convocation ceremony. Read more about how they did it below

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/300831-two-graduates-break-21-year-first-class-dearth-in-oaus-english-department.html

Report reaching us says that none of the two students were awarded by the department. It was said that the Dean faculty of Art said no one deserved the award during the convocation ceremony.

How can you have two students with First-class and you're saying no one deserved the award?

Are the lecturers of the department jealous of the feat attained by these two students?

Are they sad because the students are females?

Or are they just clueless?

Efforts to contact the department as to why no one was awarded proved abortive as no lecturer wants to speak about the issue.

In this era where immoralities and other vices are being celebrated. How can these two brilliant students not be recognised.

Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by ntyce(m): 6:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
Hope you are aware that grades are awarded based on learning and character...
They might be deserving academically but not character-wise....

1 Like

Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by mechanics(m): 6:17pm On Dec 16, 2018
Brain and beauty.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Dotng: 6:36pm On Dec 16, 2018
SmallmebigGod:
They have given them their first class. The other one you are asking for is at the discretion of each department. May be there is a standard they didn't reach despite the first class.
It happened to my graduating class then. And when we asked , they say, they can't give anyone such because, the people that scored high wasn't known to them (they believed if they are really good having spent about 4-5 years with them, they should know) this people are actually quiet people, they don't answer question in class, they aren't great presenters too, but passes exam very well. I am not defending their position but that was the standard they have used in the past.

This is just cock and bull story cooked up by your departmental lecturers to say that they will not give a performing student award because they did not kiss their ass. How can a student finish with first class and they will say they don't know that person. Was such a person attending lectures and writing exams at a distance learning centre? Will the president of the country request information about such students and they will put it writing that they don't know that students? Anyway, it is there award so that can be keep it. The intelligence and the first class degree obtained by the students cannot be taken away from them. Even those that are given the award, the unfortunate story is that the cash amount that follows the award is not more than N2k per award. cry

2 Likes

Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Dotng: 6:38pm On Dec 16, 2018
ntyce:
How many people are you aware of that merit the first class degree but are not awarded based on character deficiency?
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by proffemi: 6:59pm On Dec 16, 2018
HigherEd:
Rubbish! Stupid school!
I find it disappointing that someone as learned as you would make the above submission on this matter.
I thought it was clear as daylight that there is more to this story as presented than meets the eye. Perhaps it isn't that clear after all? It would have become you to keep your decorum until all the facts are presented.

There is a lot wrong with OAU, but no university (or its students/graduates) in Nigeria has earned the right to call it a "stupid school".
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by HigherEd: 7:03pm On Dec 16, 2018
proffemi:

I find it disappointing that someone as learned as you would make the above submission on this matter.
I thought it was clear as daylight that there is more to this story as presented than meets the eye. Perhaps it isn't that clear after all? It would have become you to keep your decorum until all the facts are presented.

There is a lot wrong with OAU, but no university (or its students/graduates) in Nigeria has earned the right to call it a "stupid school".
Apologies Prof. Personally, I take it personal when I see students oppressed unnecessarily.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by proffemi: 7:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
For those who are jumping about with their favorite conspiracy theories and misconceptions, this is not how OAU work!

I am curious to know the "award" that the students were denied. If they earned First Class degrees, no power on earth can withhold it from them without cause.

1 Like

Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by proffemi: 7:14pm On Dec 16, 2018
HigherEd:

Apologies Prof. Personally, I take it personal when I see students oppressed unnecessarily.

Thanks. I have noted a lot of your posts with approval in the past, so I think I have a measure of you.

I hate oppression with a passion myself, but too often, there is no substance to myths peddled around by students. When you've taught for long enough, you'll realize that rallying too rapidly to students' defence may leave you feeling silly when all the facts are revealed. I don't know the facts in this case, but I know enough about OAU to tell you with 100% confidence that there is more to the tale than meets the eye.

1 Like

Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Ghost01(m): 7:15pm On Dec 16, 2018
HigherEd:

Even if I did, what would be the problem with that? I don't want anything to do with any federal university in this life but I recognise the inequalities they would breed in the future. Maybe grade deflation a decade ago was ok when all parties consented to it. But in this era a UI wants 25% of her graduating class with first class in the nearest future. It's in their strategic plan for 2021.

A CU is willing to give it to as many people who merits it. Access bank would not prefer an OAU grad to an LBS, CU or Babcock grad because it is harder at OAU
Tell them o.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by trevorhorace(m): 7:25pm On Dec 16, 2018
There's more to this tori o
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Dotng: 7:56pm On Dec 16, 2018
Someone from the university just confirmed that the story is false.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 16, 2018
ntyce:
That is not totally true. Grade are awarded based on learning and character. The two goes together not just one
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by rasaquadri: 8:19pm On Dec 16, 2018
[quote author=IamaNigerianGuy post=73901
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by rasaquadri: 8:21pm On Dec 16, 2018
proffemi:

Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Prophet777: 8:27pm On Dec 16, 2018
In the 35 years of EKSU, no student has ever graduated with a first class in English Dept. What joy does all these old & haggard looking lecturers derived from being a sadist by depriving brilliant & hardworking students of their grades but preferred to celebrate mediocrity. A time for them to do away with all those archaic mindset.

Exactly, one of the reasons why our public universities in Nigeria has been relegated to the backyard and would find it difficult to meet the 1000th best universities in the world.

Shior!
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by pek(m): 8:40pm On Dec 16, 2018
Awoo88:
Nonsense school with nonsense lecturers. The same school sometimes ago a department said no body deserves second class upper openly.
MB
One is a Muslim girl the other a Christian girl. Maybe one of them was pushed and some other people decided to push some one of their Faith. If that us the case, the Dean's decision is justifiable
some time ago not sometimes ago!
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by CrimeBuster: 8:51pm On Dec 16, 2018
Dotng:
Someone from the university just confirmed that the story is false.
if you have the brochure of the just concluded convocation, kindly check the award section for 2015/2016 set. It is omitted. Don't just come here to rubbish our report. It is based on facts.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by lx3as(m): 8:53pm On Dec 16, 2018
Wtfork:
For 21 years all the lecturers could not produce a first class student in English department . So what have they been teaching them !?

Supposing it was miss OAU winner now , you will see the stupid lectures running helther skelter to congratulate the winner just to boost their chances of licking the puna..

Not only in OAU; the problem they always allude to this is whether the students are as good as native speakers in the spoken form. Moreover, when they are given scholarship to study abroad it may lead to a kind of downgrading of the Nigerian universities that awarded the first class.
Government should step in to help Students of English studies in the country if not it's very difficult to have first class in that department. The lecturers already have a belief that no one deserves this.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by Wtfork: 9:15pm On Dec 16, 2018
lx3as:

Not only in OAU; the problem they always allude to this is whether the students are as good as native speakers in the spoken form. Moreover, when they are given scholarship to study abroad it may lead to a kind of downgrading of the Nigerian universities that awarded the first class.
Government should step in to help Students of English studies in the country if not it's very difficult to have first class in that department. The lecturers already have a belief that no one deserves this.

Well said . But regards Speaking as the natives , I don't think the lecturers expect all students to develop accent just like that ? The bottom line is getting the pronunciations and spellings correctly?
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by ebby9z(m): 9:23pm On Dec 16, 2018
I'm so pissed...I graduated form that department and I know the number of things their sadism has denied me of. I wonder who told lecturers in that department that the dearth of first class student from there would increasing their rating amongst their peers.
Re: OAU English Department Refused To Give Best Graduating Student Award For 15/16 by HigherEd: 9:35pm On Dec 16, 2018
proffemi:

Thanks. I have noted a lot of your posts with approval in the past, so I think I have a measure of you.

I hate oppression with a passion myself, but too often, there is no substance to myths peddled around by students. When you've taught for long enough, you'll realize that rallying too rapidly to students' defence may leave you feeling silly when all the facts are revealed. I don't know the facts in this case, but I know enough about OAU to tell you with 100% confidence that there is more to the tale than meets the eye.
You are correct. I'm going to correct the post.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnachi Grace Amarachukwu Of Queens College Wins LCCI 2019 Essay Competition / Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? / Militants Attacking Students Of Igbinedion University.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.