Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,350 members, 7,819,252 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution (7537 Views)

Result Controversy: ‘It’s Unfair, Not My Fault’, Mmesoma Says On JAMB 3-Year Ban / NASU, SSANU End Strike, Universities To Fully Resume On Monday / ASUU Strike:universities That Have Accepted Fg Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Hardeysolution(m): 12:21pm On Dec 17, 2018
It's easier for the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to embark on strike, same with their non academic counterparts, Non Academic Staff Union (NASU) and Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU). Nigerians have been made to swallow the belief that these workers embark on strike because they want to rest. This is however too crude to believe.

ASUU has been on strike for five weeks. ASUU strike has become a yearly anniversary since 1999 wasting precious years of students. Many have asked, should strike be the first approach? The Unions always claim that they notify the government before embarking on any strike but it is unbelievable that these so called "learned" don't understand the effect of beurocracy in a democratic system. Maybe that isn't the problem, but there's no effective public involvement. Should there be uproar before the strike, the meetings that are called during the strike would have been done earlier and both the federal government and Unions would have reached a common ground. This is not always the case. One beautiful morning, students would just get stranded not knowing why, until after some time before getting to know that our universities scholars have started their "usual anniversary."

For 18 years, strike couldn't solve the problem. Shouldn't these universities workers come to a resolution of resigning instead of disturbing the academic calendars? Should they not seek for greener pastures and leave the "rotten sector" for those who could endure? One would be forced to believe that education in Nigeria isn't as badly funded as claimed by these Unions. Across many federal Universities, there are many ongoing projects of the federal government. It is unfair of these Unions to solely blame the federal government for the rot in these universities.

These unions claim that the Federal government is not doing what is expected of them. The students return the questions and ask, "are they doing what is expected of them?" Is it the lecturers that don't teach but set exam questions that have the students at heart? The main effect of these strike actions is the closure of schools. The same way Nigerians are the electricity distributors by owning Generators, the students are their own lecturers too. It is unfair for these lecturers to keep collecting salaries for what they are not doing.

The latter might not be applicable to all lecturers in the Universities, but however not untrue. It would be a funny but reasonable decision if Nigerian Students claim to also embark on strike for being "under-taught."

The education sector needs funding, but things wouldn't get better if the government is the only source of funds. In Nigeria, quite a number of unions would embark on industrial strike actions in a week and make life unbearable for many Nigerians.

If these unions can not seek for whatever they are asking for without abandoning their work and still expect pay, I suggest that all schools be shut down, privatised and let us know that the poor don't have the right to education. ASUU and other universities unions are only infringing on the rights of students by employing a wrong approach for the right course.

It is saddening how a 4 year course turned 8 years because of ASUU strike. It is heart breaking for a student expected to graduate 21 years graduate 27 years.

I am not saying they shouldn't fight for what is theirs, but the power of dialogue and active public involvement can not be undermined

28 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 17, 2018
dem no deh move this kind thing go front page na nonsense deh trend

who said lecturers are underpaid in nigeria? is that person mad

they keep blaming govt meanwhile the funds allocated for certain things are never met
i just want to ask this questions?

What is the tuion fee meant for?
what are acceptance fees used for?
what are the postume fees used for?

the funds already allocated how where they used ?

an example is OSUSTECH ....ONDOS STATE UNI OF SCI AND TECH

THAT SCHOOL TO BE HONEST CANOT EVEN PASS AS A SECONDARY SCHOOL

no infrastructure , bushes everywhere '
and students are tasked #200k as tutuin fee
acceptance 50k nd d rest

what have these been funds used for?

pls ans so i can ask d next set of questions

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Hardeysolution(m): 12:33pm On Dec 17, 2018
Emzyme:
dem no deh move this kind thing go front page na nonsense deh trend
lol. Na so o

1 Like

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by jbreezy: 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2018
visijo:
A girl will be asking for a tall handsome mascular guy but their father is short with big belly and small pink rounded mouth. my sister be humble like your mother
what has this gotten to do with ASUU...a man has intelligently penned his grief on d disease diminshing d value of nigerian’s educational standard and you are here trying to make some stale jokes that can’t even make yur ancestors laff...pls, b sensible nxt time!!

20 Likes

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by purplerope: 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2018
Mtcheeeeewwww
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by chloride6: 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2018
grin
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by AutoSpaNg: 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2018
'poiuyt
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by visijo(m): 2:34pm On Dec 17, 2018
A girl will be asking for a tall handsome mascular guy but their father is short with big belly and small pink rounded mouth. my sister be humble like your mother

3 Likes

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 17, 2018
I used to think they were being unfair to students, but guess what? Sentiments don't pay the bills.

The salary scale in Nigeria is one of the lowest in the world, whereas, there's so much money being looted.
These things will keep happening till we have a responsible government that cares about institutional progress rather than individual progress.

Even doctors and nurses are leaving Nigeria en mass.

Blame the thieving politicians, all of them APC, PDP are all filled with thieves.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Ufedolove: 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2018
Always using students as baits to get what they want. When they strike:
ASUU wins
Government wins
Students lose.

Such a pity we as students can only but watch as they toy with us.

4 Likes

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Sisijetue(f): 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2018
That's why we have private universities...besides it's not a must you go to school, people wey go never see job finish...Go and learn a trade or better still acquire a skill. This government no get plans for masses.
Ji Masun grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by jamesbridget13(f): 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2018
I support this write up. They are so inconsiderate. During my time we went on a 6 month strike. Apart from other strikes of 1-2 months. That 6 months strike was d height of it. Greedy workers

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Mozenge1: 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2018
ASUU Na scam
Nigeria scam
University scam

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 17, 2018
Actually is the op, buhari and apc party of vagabonds that are unfair to students.
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by qanda: 2:38pm On Dec 17, 2018
ok
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by stanliwise(m): 2:40pm On Dec 17, 2018
The OP isn't a teaching staff so I wouldn't blame him. In your intelligent write up you couldn't come up with a better alternative. Strike remains one of the greatest weapons to fight the stubborn and stone-hearted government in Nigeria. You speak from the student point of view which is a good thing but how about the lectures that teach in dirty classroom without fans and over-populated student, lecturers that that will almost loose their voice because of lack of micro-phone, Retired lecturers waiting for pension, delapitate laboratory and educational infrastructures, overloading lecturers with many responsibilities, teaching with crude tools and still marking more than 500 script with bare hands. see and even many unsaid ones.
Bro I understand your point but we shouldn't become insensitive also. The way out is to restructure the way school are been funded. either to privatize it which will mean common man will not go to university again or to increase yearly allocation of fund with proper management to ensure the fund is used properly.

9 Likes

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 17, 2018
I have always said this thank God someone finally see a it from my perspective.
Meanwhile...
Need a tour guide to hang out with you on your visit to Lagos, Nigeria?
Then click my WhatsApp link down below and chat me up for safe and affordable service
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by haryomikun(m): 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2018
jamesbridget13:
I support this write up. They are so inconsiderate. During my time we went on a 6 month strike. Apart from other strikes of 1-2 months. That 6 months strike was d height of it. Greedy workers
2013.... That strike delayed my admission by half a year and people in my school, OOU had issues with landlords concerning rent that was unused for 6 months.

It was bad....
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by kerah(f): 2:45pm On Dec 17, 2018
Dear OP what if the dialogue doesn't work out what next ?
They should just keep working for a salary that cannot feed and take care of their family ba
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by otokx(m): 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2018
stanliwise:
The OP isn't a teaching staff so I wouldn't blame him.

Are you sure OP is a staff at all?
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2018
kerah:
Dear OP what if the dialogue doesn't work out what next ?
They should just keep working for a salary that cannot feed and take care of their family ba

sir who told u they are underpaid?
those idiats are bunch of theives

1 Like

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Fisher007: 2:57pm On Dec 17, 2018
H
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by stanliwise(m): 2:59pm On Dec 17, 2018
otokx:

Are you sure OP is a staff at all?
abi o cheesy
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Idealscholar: 3:03pm On Dec 17, 2018
Bilateral Educational Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards (Study Abroad)

This opportunity is ongoing!

The Bilateral Educational Agreement (BEA) Awards is also known as the Federal Ministry of Education Overseas Scholarships for Undergraduate, Masters and PhD Nigerian Students.

Apply here: http://jobreaders.org/bilateral-educational-agreement-bea-awards/

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by vioment: 3:09pm On Dec 17, 2018
They are not unfair to students. Na hungry stomach dem dey use play?

Then the govs buy cars for all the chiefs and his friends.
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by YorubaEmir: 3:14pm On Dec 17, 2018
The Op belongs to the Indomie generation grin

First of all, it is Legal to go on strike. In fact, it is their prerogative.
Secondly, their demands have not been met. Nobody goes on strike for the fun of it.
Thirdly, strike is usually the last option when dialogue and other peaceful resolutions have failed.

Fourthly, Lecturers do not teach for free and they don't have to sacrifice their happiness over the students ' happiness. Don't you think these lecturers have kids in public universities?

Fifth, they will resign if they have a better option. Nobody hates a better option.

Sixth, that lecturing is their best option doesn't mean they should be slavish.

7th, you have not bothered to read their demands and that is why your view is polarised.

8th. ASUU will not renege on their demands because one Nairalander wants to graduate early. Do u think they don't want their children to graduate?

9th. When. Dialogue has failed and strike is unfortunately your only option, what will you do?

10th,, try private university.

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 17, 2018
Hardeysolution:
It's easier for the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to embark on strike, same with their non academic counterparts, Non Academic Staff Union (NASU) and Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU). Nigerians have been made to swallow the belief that these workers embark on strike because they want to rest. This is however too crude to believe.

ASUU has been on strike for five weeks. ASUU strike has become a yearly anniversary since 1999 wasting precious years of students. Many have asked, should strike be the first approach? The Unions always claim that they notify the government before embarking on any strike but it is unbelievable that these so called "learned" don't understand the effect of beurocracy in a democratic system. Maybe that isn't the problem, but there's no effective public involvement. Should there be uproar before the strike, the meetings that are called during the strike would have been done earlier and both the federal government and Unions would have reached a common ground. This is not always the case. One beautiful morning, students would just get stranded not knowing why, until after some time before getting to know that our universities scholars have started their "usual anniversary."

For 18 years, strike couldn't solve the problem. Shouldn't these universities workers come to a resolution of resigning instead of disturbing the academic calendars? Should they not seek for greener pastures and leave the "rotten sector" for those who could endure? One would be forced to believe that education in Nigeria isn't as badly funded as claimed by these Unions. Across many federal Universities, there are many ongoing projects of the federal government. It is unfair of these Unions to solely blame the federal government for the rot in these universities.

These unions claim that the Federal government is not doing what is expected of them. The students return the questions and ask, "are they doing what is expected of them?" Is it the lecturers that don't teach but set exam questions that have the students at heart? The main effect of these strike actions is the closure of schools. The same way Nigerians are the electricity distributors by owning Generators, the students are their own lecturers too. It is unfair for these lecturers to keep collecting salaries for what they are not doing.

The latter might not be applicable to all lecturers in the Universities, but however not untrue. It would be a funny but reasonable decision if Nigerian Students claim to also embark on strike for being "under-taught."

The education sector needs funding, but things wouldn't get better if the government is the only source of funds. In Nigeria, quite a number of unions would embark on industrial strike actions in a week and make life unbearable for many Nigerians.

If these unions can not seek for whatever they are asking for without abandoning their work and still expect pay, I suggest that all schools be shut down, privatised and let us know that the poor don't have the right to education. ASUU and other universities unions are only infringing on the rights of students by employing a wrong approach for the right course.

It is saddening how a 4 year course turned 8 years because of ASUU strike. It is heart breaking for a student expected to graduate 21 years graduate 27 years.

I am not saying they shouldn't fight for what is theirs, but the power of dialogue and active public involvement can not be undermined
You did a good job in your analysis. But the government are insensitive to the demands of lecturers they wait till the lecturers go on strike before taking drastic action. You said something about privatization of universities which may be beyond the reach of the poor. Should the government go with this, our prestigious citadel of learning will turn to federal ministry. The government need to get it right this time around if not we continue to witness incessant strikes by university teachers. You mentioned nonchalant attitude of lecturers, this can be resolved by university management. A reasonable vc will be able to check the excesses of many lecturers like we saw at the university of Ilorin. Some state universities are beginning to enforce compulsory attendance of lecturers and students before examinations can be taken. The bottom line is that the government obliged to their demands while we watch the lecturers do their part.
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by ogawisdom(m): 3:19pm On Dec 17, 2018
grin

This is a beautiful nonsense
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 17, 2018
stanliwise:
The OP isn't a teaching staff so I wouldn't blame him. In your intelligent write up you couldn't come up with a better alternative. Strike remains one of the greatest weapons to fight the stubborn and stone-hearted government in Nigeria. You speak from the student point of view which is a good thing but how about the lectures that teach in dirty classroom without fans and over-populated student, lecturers that that will almost loose their voice because of lack of micro-phone, Retired lecturers waiting for pension, delapitate laboratory and educational infrastructures, overloading lecturers with many responsibilities, teaching with crude tools and still marking more than 500 script with bare hands. see and even many unsaid ones.
Bro I understand your point but we shouldn't become insensitive also. The way out is to restructure the way school are been funded. either to privatize it which will mean common man will not go to university again or to increase yearly allocation of fund with proper management to ensure the fund is used properly.
students pay school fees of over 100k then they are forced to sit at home and pray that what they paid for is given to them. I don't understand what you are saying honestly.
If you pay for a phone on jumia and you are not giving the phone or assured when you will get it would say it's not easy to travel by land in Nigeria so I can't blame them?
If they can't manage the education sector let them close the whole thing down and stop scamming people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by RoastedCorn(m): 4:18pm On Dec 17, 2018
Re: Strike: Universities' Workers Are Unfair To Nigerian Students- Hardeysolution by Hardeysolution(m): 4:55pm On Dec 17, 2018
stanliwise:
isn't that a lie? Government pays these Universities money per year. Now I'm talking about federal Universities. I know the state Universities, many of them aren't good so to say but how about federal Universities

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun State University Website / Personal Assistant Writes NABTEB Exam For Lawmaker / JAMB Fixes July 1 For UTME For 85,000 Candidates With Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.