Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,570 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools (14365 Views)

Enugu Airport Opening: Ugwuanyi Hosts Hadi Sirika And Authur Eze / Hadi Sirika: Wike Has No Right To Order Arrest Of Pilots / Dasuki’s Release: Abba Kyari, Malami, Hadi Sirika, Fayemi Convinced Buhari – FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Pruwa: 1:34pm On Dec 18, 2018
martineverest:
extra lesson conducted by school is the problem,not the ones conducted at home

How is it a problem I attended extra lessons during my secondary school days and it helped me a lot.
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by lilmax(m): 1:34pm On Dec 18, 2018
Pruwa:
I don't agree some children are slow learners hence the need for extra lessons to help them catch up with their mates in school.
checked your profile pic, whats the point of that pic you used?
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Hafeexla(m): 1:35pm On Dec 18, 2018
Pruwa:
I don't agree some children are slow learners hence the need for extra lessons to help them catch up with their mates in school.
Even for me, i would prefer my kid resume at 9am and close @ 3pm. No qualm
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Philinho(m): 1:36pm On Dec 18, 2018
Is it your lesson?
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by 34webers(m): 1:36pm On Dec 18, 2018
Wale309:
neither hit nor miss.
some kids actually need it.
that it wasnt a phenomenon in his era has nothing to do with this dispensation.
so many distractions that never existed then are now serious demons students need to wrestle with.
things have changed, thats just the summary.
Extra lessons are just means of ripping off parents at the expense of the actual classes. Some teachers don't even take normal classes serious these days.
In addition, children need to take some times off academic activities to play a little because, as the saying goes, all work and no play makes Joseph a dull boy.

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by martineverest(m): 1:38pm On Dec 18, 2018
Kingosytex:
with due respect minister, u are not totally right. have you considered what was obtainable to you then and what is available today? to whom much is given much is expected

learn to reason b4 coming to type trash
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by LZAA: 1:39pm On Dec 18, 2018
Opinionated:
Nigeria’s Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika has made his thoughts known on the extra lessons phenomenon in Nigerian education. Students are meant to close by 2pm in most parts of country but many still stay behind for extra lessons or attend tutorial centres after school. Some still get private coaching from tutors at home. Reacting to this situation, the Minister took to Twitter to post:

“I just don’t understand extra lessons for our kids, It is either that they are not taught properly or there is an element of corruption! In our time most schools closed by 1pm. We had time to rest, play, run errands for parents, read, go to Qur’anic school/Bible study and bond…”

This is something that some Nigerians have also spoken about but the trend continues partly because parents these days work long hours and feel that their children staying at school for longer periods is a safer option than leaving them at home at the mercy of house-helps, relatives or neighbours.

There are also some parents that believe that their children perform better with such extra lessons and coaching.

What do you think about the minister’s comment — hit or miss?

Source: Buhari’s Minister, Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons for Children in Schools

This one no well
Extra lessons wey help men dt year
Oga shift abeg

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by martineverest(m): 1:39pm On Dec 18, 2018
Philinho:
Is it your lesson?
typical reply from a an educated illiterate
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by krownjoy97: 1:40pm On Dec 18, 2018
Extra lesson is a big SCAM on Parents and an avenue to exploit parents also taken Kids time for granted.
Hope, u all notice that nowadays some of the text books used by the senior class can not be used by junior class. I think it is high time for the parents and d PTA to help out.

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by martineverest(m): 1:40pm On Dec 18, 2018
Pruwa:

How is it a problem I attended extra lessons during my secondary school days and it helped me a lot.
I'm talking about the ones conducted by school,not home lesson..home lesson is ok, especially for assignment sake and people that are slow in assimilating

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by SachaBastien(m): 1:45pm On Dec 18, 2018
I am not a fan of Hadi Sirika before the Air Nigeria debacle. I dislike him even more after that but he has simply expressed the thoughts and opinions of many right thinking Nigerians. It is corruption to keep pupils in school to be taught better by the same teacher who couldn't teach well from 8am to 2pm. There is time for everything and there is as so much time that is allocated to a particular activity everyday of life. In Nigeria you find people who want to keep you in religious houses for hours unending all in the name of "quality time". It is the same fraud that has been happening in Nigerian schools in the last 2 decade. It's a shame!

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Xisnin(m): 1:45pm On Dec 18, 2018
Pvin:

Are they save in the hands of school teacher's.
No, that is why you should lock them up in your house while going to work.

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by RealityShot: 1:45pm On Dec 18, 2018
Minister for Aviation, talking about Education hours..

Honourable Sir, are you not aware that prices of commercial flights in Europe are much lower than train prices?

When are you going to make commercial flights in Nigeria cheaper or equal to deadly bus rides?

You better shut up and hide your incompetence before we face you like Minister for Information, Hon. Lie Lie!
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 18, 2018
Opinionated:
Nigeria’s Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika has made his thoughts known on the extra lessons phenomenon in Nigerian education. Students are meant to close by 2pm in most parts of country but many still stay behind for extra lessons or attend tutorial centres after school. Some still get private coaching from tutors at home. Reacting to this situation, the Minister took to Twitter to post:

“I just don’t understand extra lessons for our kids, It is either that they are not taught properly or there is an element of corruption! In our time most schools closed by 1pm. We had time to rest, play, run errands for parents, read, go to Qur’anic school/Bible study and bond…”

This is something that some Nigerians have also spoken about but the trend continues partly because parents these days work long hours and feel that their children staying at school for longer periods is a safer option than leaving them at home at the mercy of house-helps, relatives or neighbours.

There are also some parents that believe that their children perform better with such extra lessons and coaching.

Source: Buhari’s Minister, Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons for Children in Schools

Well this is new era. With many public holidays and disruption of school calendar as a result of one problem or the other, you expect teachers to complete their syllabus on time. We have 13 weeks in school's calendar. 10 weeks for teaching, 1 week revision, 1 week exam and the following week end of academic term or session. In between the teaching week we might experience public holidays, teachers going on training, inter house sports and among others. The curriculum is wide and many not be covered before the end of academic year. Many persons blame teachers for not tutoring their students well hence mass faillure in ssce. What most schools do is to feel those gaps by organizing extra lessons.

2 Likes

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by sureheaven(m): 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2018
This minster is a fool, that is why the north has the highest number of illiterate in Nigeria.

Children are the future and leaders of tomorrow and their is the ultimate.

They should close by 2pm and return to Quran school that add no value to their lives but rather destroy them. shocked
In Countries like US , Canada , France and lots more , pupils and student close by 4-5pm.
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Kingosytex(m): 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2018
martineverest:
learn to reason b4 coming to type trash

i don't insult people, so i hate being insulted. i never borrowed you data neither did you pay for my subscription. i suggest you stay clear from my mentions if you don't have any sensible thing to offer
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by cmecproblem(m): 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2018
You pay over hundred thousand for school fees, but it's the 20k lesson that teaches your child more, scam! Please children should be out of school environment by 1pm.

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by martineverest(m): 1:53pm On Dec 18, 2018
Kingosytex:

i don't insult people, so i hate being insulted. i never borrowed you data neither did you pay for my subscription. i suggest you stay clear from my mentions if you don't have any sensible thing to offer
oya sorry...no vex
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Amumaigwe: 2:05pm On Dec 18, 2018
Opinionated:

Says a product of quota system. Does he know what it takes to compete?

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 18, 2018
chinavs9ja:
That is cool!

I am a website designer, check my signature
can you design an application for me?
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by mechanics(m): 2:30pm On Dec 18, 2018
Extra lesson make sense, for the syllabus to be covered in time especially for the senior secondary schools.
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by creamylicious(f): 2:43pm On Dec 18, 2018
Timoleon:
A man who cry over a woman does not know where they sell beer...
lol. When a woman cries over a man nka?
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by BrutusOj(m): 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2018
Opinionated:

She is totally right, private schools came up with that scam for their selfishness to make extra profit, enslave teachers and they sold the idea to over busy 21st century parents. 1 out of 100 students really benefit from the useless extra lessons.
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by BrutusOj(m): 2:46pm On Dec 18, 2018
mechanics:
Extra lesson make sense, for the syllabus to be covered in time especially for the senior secondary schools.
not the type of extra lesson ran in these days. Both students and teachers are tired when the lessons hold, teachers dont put in their mind, students keep checking time for the annoying teacher to get out, only the management benefit from it.
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by DeRay98(m): 2:47pm On Dec 18, 2018
No need to insult on her points there are parents who complaining while parents use to keep their safe in school while they hustle.
However, what's missing in her comparison between then and now is that, back then, fathers earned enough wages to provide for their even larger families than now. Fewer mothers went to work as a vast majority were full time housewives hence their only pre-occupation was child rearing all day. Children were safer in their neighborhood as many mothers were around, kidnapping was not such a business etc
Nowadays, the exact opposite is the case.
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by dafgee(m): 2:51pm On Dec 18, 2018
I have had the same thought also. I feel sorry for kids each time I see them having deep sleep in the car whenever they are being carried home. I think the extra lesson is causing more harm than good.

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by BrutusOj(m): 2:55pm On Dec 18, 2018
asuustrike1:

Well this is new era. With many public holidays and disruption of school calendar as a result of one problem or the other, you expect teachers to complete their syllabus on time. We have 13 weeks in school's calendar. 10 weeks for teaching, 1 week revision, 1 week exam and the following week end of academic term or session. In between the teaching week we might experience public holidays, teachers going on training, inter house sports and among others. The curriculum is wide and many not be covered before the end of academic year. Many persons blame teachers for not tutoring their students well hence mass faillure in ssce. What most schools do is to feel those gaps by organizing extra lessons.
Filling the gap can be done in a better and suitable way but not through after school lessons ran between 2.30-4.00pm in most schools, like i stated before, students hardly give full attention to lessons taught within the period as they are already tired. Examination classes (JS3/SS3) can hold preparatory lessons on Saturday and compulsory summer lessons.
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Pearlman(m): 2:56pm On Dec 18, 2018
Bros I beg face your line!
You be minister for education?
Be more concerned with the resuscitation Nigeria Airways!
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by BrutusOj(m): 2:57pm On Dec 18, 2018
dafgee:
I have had the same thought also. I feel sorry for kids each time I see them having deep sleep in the car whenever they are being carried home. I think the extra lesson is causing more harm than good.
Exactly, it is not yielding any positive results, schools oweners will never let it go as they make much from it.

1 Like

Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Anijay1212(m): 3:16pm On Dec 18, 2018
Timoleon:
A man who cry over a woman does not know where they sell beer...
I no wan laugh abeg.
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by bolinjkezzy(m): 3:21pm On Dec 18, 2018
Pruwa:
I don't agree some children are slow learners hence the need for extra lessons so they can catch up with their mates in school
Extra lesson is almost compulsory for all. Extra lesson isn't the solution for a slow learner, extra attention is
Re: Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 18, 2018
BrutusOj:
Filling the gap can be done in a better and suitable way but not through after school lessons ran between 2.30-4.00pm in most schools, like i stated before, students hardly give full attention to lessons taught within the period as they are already tired. Examination classes (JS3/SS3) can hold preparatory lessons on Saturday and compulsory summer lessons.
What is the point having Saturday lesson when the students can be taught on week days. What is the point having summer lesson when students should be resting their brains or engage in skills acquisition. The syllabus are wide and must be covered hence it calls for extra moral lessons. Many public holidays to deal with, many extra curricular activities among others.Do you expect the teachers to teach on Saturday when we have issues to deal with? Issues like taking classes in afternoon on Friday because of our Muslim brethren. Have you thought of students that attend church on Saturday since Sunday is out of it?. These are issues that were looked at by many schools before adopting extra moral lessons. Although they may not cover much but many topics will be touched.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Mocks Atiku, Says He’s Suffering From Post-election Depression / Lai Mohammed: Nigeria In Safe Hands Despite Security Challenges / Farouk Aliyu: Those Doubting Tinubu’s Credentials Should Go To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.