Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? (938 Views)

Nigerian Couple Bag Phds In Mathematics / Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? / 50 Courses You Can Study Without Credit In Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 2:52pm On Dec 19, 2018
Earlier today I saw a trend on English fluency as a measure of intelligence.
But I have seen alot of students and adult male and female that are very fluent in the use of English but are more than bad in mathematics.

Could it be said that proficiency in English language has nothing to do with intelligence?
Or rather
Mathematics ability has nothing to do with intelligence?

Or if both are measure of intelligence which has higher percentage of determining an intellectual?
My opinion: mathematics ability is a measure of intelligence
English proficiency is has little or no impact in determining an intellectual.

YOUR OPINION PLEASE?
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by MayaHerrod: 3:12pm On Dec 19, 2018
I don't think that any of these has a deal with intelligence. Personal intelligence is the complex of qualities, you can be very good at sports and have no idea about cosmos, or can be a great mathematician and don't give a clue about poetry or essay writing, there are special people from https://eduzaurus.com/term-paper-writing-services who can do that. That is the wrong way to say about people. I believe that it's great to have knowledge of everything in general, but never judge a person by his/her ability to solve equations.

1 Like

Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 3:40pm On Dec 19, 2018
MayaHerrod:
I don't think that any of these has a deal with intelligence. Personal intelligence is the complex of qualities, you can be very good at sports and have no idea about cosmos, or can be a great mathematician and don't give a clue about poetry or essay writing, there are special people from https://eduzaurus.com/term-paper-writing-services who can do that. That is the wrong way to say about people. I believe that it's great to have knowledge of everything in general, but never judge a person by his/her ability to solve equations.
But why is it that someone bad in maths can joke or even brag with it and everyone is cool with it.
But if anyone goes wrong in English, that person might end up in instanblog9ja
After much laughter and monkery.
Why the bias?
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by murphyrichy(m): 6:07pm On Dec 19, 2018
English is just a language, and can be learnt by anyone....you may not need to go school for it..but as for mathematics, you need to be brilliant in other to understand it...it requires a great teacher... With this I can say that Mathematics has everything to do with Intelligence..

3 Likes

Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by Mirallas: 7:01pm On Dec 19, 2018
It has everything to do with intelligence, and if you know maths very well your IQ is definitely very high. But there are also other forms of intelligence that has little or nothing to do with maths skills.

2 Likes

Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 7:08pm On Dec 19, 2018
Mirallas:
It has everything to do with intelligence, and if you know maths very well your IQ is definitely very high. But there are also other forms of intelligence that has little or nothing to do with maths skills.
If you have the opportunity to choose between mathematics proficency and "other IQ determinat"
Which will you choose?. Base on personal preference.
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 8:10pm On Dec 19, 2018
murphyrichy:
English is just a language, and can be learnt by anyone....you may not need to go school for it..but as for mathematics, you need to be brilliant in other to understand it...//it requires a great teacher//... With this I can say that Mathematics has everything to do with Intelligence..
Good teachers count in student knowledge of mathematics.
But not always.
The only thing I remember about my senior secondary school maths teacher is that he his tall, fair and he always contests for Edo governorship election but never won primaries.
He I didn't even see him in class one day.
But am great in mathematics.
What am saying is, someone good in maths is a pointer to someone who is hardworking and determined, never give up and can work under pressure.
Teacher counts but not always
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 8:11pm On Dec 19, 2018
murphyrichy:
English is just a language, and can be learnt by anyone....you may not need to go school for it..but as for mathematics, you need to be brilliant in other to understand it...it requires a great teacher#.. With this I can say that Mathematics has everything to do with Intelligence..
Good teachers count in student knowledge of mathematics.
But not always.
The only thing I remember about my senior secondary school maths teacher is that he his tall, fair and he always contests for Edo governorship election but never won primaries.
He I didn't even see him in class one day.
But am great in mathematics.
What am saying is, someone good in maths is a pointer to someone who is hardworking and determined, never give up and can work under pressure.
Teacher counts but not always
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 8:11pm On Dec 19, 2018
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 19, 2018
murphyrichy:
English is just a language, and can be learnt by anyone....you may not need to go school for it..but as for mathematics, you need to be brilliant in other to understand it...it requires a great teacher... With this I can say that Mathematics has everything to do with Intelligence..
No it doesn't.
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Dec 19, 2018
All I see is someone gathering data for his or her research if you know you know
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 10:46pm On Dec 19, 2018
asuustrike1:
All I see is someone gathering data for his or her research if you know you know
I have no intention for academic research.
I am just a curious maths person

But your suggestion is not bad

Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 11:50pm On Dec 19, 2018
undecided undecided
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by Martinez19(m): 12:10am On Dec 20, 2018
I won't kid you, if you are proficient in maths then you are indeed intelligent.
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by Mirallas: 3:37am On Dec 20, 2018
ifada123:

If you have the opportunity to choose between mathematics proficency and "other IQ determinat"
Which will you choose?. Base on personal preference.
I will choose mathematics.Most IQ indexes are vital to been good at doing maths .
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 8:37am On Dec 20, 2018
Mirallas:

I will choose mathematics.Most IQ indexes are vital to been good at doing maths .
You see why I said mathematics is the measure of intelligence.
Other scales are there to encourage non maths gettters.
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by stone350(m): 12:04pm On Dec 20, 2018
undecided undecided
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by Martinez19(m): 2:42pm On Dec 20, 2018
ifada123:

You see why I said mathematics is the measure of intelligence.
Other scales are there to encourage non maths gettters.
There is no how one would be proficient in maths and not be intelligent unless the person is an idiot savant.
Re: Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? by ifada123: 2:51pm On Dec 20, 2018
Martinez19:
There is no how one would be proficient in maths and not be intelligent unless the person is an idiot savant.
I tell you my brother
No true world has been said.
A lot of people how claim they are intelligent only bride them self in speaking languages.
But if a mathematically inclined individual is willing to learn those languages he can do that at will.
But the language speaker will find it difficult to learn mathematics if they are not good in it before.
So what are we saying?
The real intelligent person is the one who can easily adapt to change in filed of study.

(1) (Reply)

Institutions That Offer Pgd In Pharmaceutical Chemistry Please / Solving Triangles - Pythagoras, Cosine Rule, SOHCAHTOA, Bearing & Distance / Kinds of Exam & Programs you should know about in 2020 Provisional Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.