Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,257 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives (3407 Views)

Baby Girl's Face Mutilated With Tribal Marks (Photo) / Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) / Ibo, Hausa And Yoruba Are Not Indegenous Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by googi: 11:59pm On Dec 20, 2018
https://www.legit.ng/1175406-igbo-tribal-marks-meaning.html

[img] Ogbanje mark

Some Igbo people believe that their only way to protect kids from being taken away by evils (called ogbanje) is to leave a scar on their bodies.

Nki marks

Some tribe members add Nki markings to their faces and bodies to show everyone that they are strong and are not afraid of pain.

Usually, these signs are green and made with a needle. They do not mean any special status, but many people are proud to add these Igbo markings.

READ ALSO: History of Igbo-Ukwu art

Ichi scarification

If Uri are tribal marks worn by women, Igbo men usually wear Ichi on their faces. These male marks always meant the high social class of their owner. Those Igbo men who have Ichi décor on their face are allowed performing various rituals and give titles to influential tribe members.

You should learn about 2 type of Ichi marks:

Agbaja – these marks (moon-like circles and semicircles) are preferred by members in Nkanu and Awgwu territories.
Ndri – this decoration (sun-like carved lines that go from forehead to male chin and across cheeks) is usually used by people from Awka-Nri territories.
Many experts are sure that Ichi scarification has nothing to do with tribal marks. These scars mean privilege to their owner, they are created to outline the special status, high rank, nobility of a man, etc.

Getting Ichi scar was painful and meant to test male courage (children and adults were not allowed to make a sound), because the skin was cut out with a knife with no medications given to the tribe member and often such procedures could last for over an hour. It took wounds much time to heal, and the scars stay with their owner until the end of his life.

You have learned the main Igbo tribal marks meaning and saw photos of their facial marks and scarification patterns.

While many Africans continue tattooing their faces and body these years, such traditions were more common in the past. Modern ‘tattoo’ drawings are mainly used for festivals and are loved by tourists, while scarification slowly becomes an out-of-date ritual.

READ ALSO: Igbo calendar 2018: festivals and holidays

[/img]

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by abmethod: 12:03am On Dec 21, 2018
I don't understand what is happening to me these days I don't get too much likes & comments on my posts. It's as if someone has tempered with my calabash in the village!!!! Can I get some likes to Shame my village people?

Admin move this to the front page

3 Likes

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by ImperialYoruba: 1:49am On Dec 21, 2018
Ibo people love to be compared with Yoruba. It earns them credits. grin

Yoruba, the most Superior race on earth!

4 Likes

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by Nobody: 2:36am On Dec 21, 2018
googi:
[s]https://www.legit.ng/1175406-igbo-tribal-marks-meaning.html

[img] Ogbanje mark

Some Igbo people believe that their only way to protect kids from being taken away by evils (called ogbanje) is to leave a scar on their bodies.

Nki marks

Some tribe members add Nki markings to their faces and bodies to show everyone that they are strong and are not afraid of pain.

Usually, these signs are green and made with a needle. They do not mean any special status, but many people are proud to add these Igbo markings.

READ ALSO: History of Igbo-Ukwu art

Ichi scarification

If Uri are tribal marks worn by women, Igbo men usually wear Ichi on their faces. These male marks always meant the high social class of their owner. Those Igbo men who have Ichi décor on their face are allowed performing various rituals and give titles to influential tribe members.

You should learn about 2 type of Ichi marks:

Agbaja – these marks (moon-like circles and semicircles) are preferred by members in Nkanu and Awgwu territories.
Ndri – this decoration (sun-like carved lines that go from forehead to male chin and across cheeks) is usually used by people from Awka-Nri territories.
Many experts are sure that Ichi scarification has nothing to do with tribal marks. These scars mean privilege to their owner, they are created to outline the special status, high rank, nobility of a man, etc.

Getting Ichi scar was painful and meant to test male courage (children and adults were not allowed to make a sound), because the skin was cut out with a knife with no medications given to the tribe member and often such procedures could last for over an hour. It took wounds much time to heal, and the scars stay with their owner until the end of his life.

You have learned the main Igbo tribal marks meaning and saw photos of their facial marks and scarification patterns.

While many Africans continue tattooing their faces and body these years, such traditions were more common in the past. Modern ‘tattoo’ drawings are mainly used for festivals and are loved by tourists, while scarification slowly becomes an out-of-date ritual.

READ ALSO: Igbo calendar 2018: festivals and holidays
[/s]
[/img]

Have you ever seen an Igbo man that looks like this man in your life? These afonjas will never leave us alone. Always attaching to Igbos, direct descendants of God by fire by force to improve their image and appearance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by googi: 4:08am On Dec 21, 2018
Yes, I have seen many

biafranation:

Have you ever seen an Igbo man that looks like this man in your life? These afonjas will never leave us alone. Always attaching to Igbos, direct descendants of God by fire by force to improve their image and appearance.

[url] file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/vllkyt4tv5edaensv.jpg [/url]

[img]. file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/vllkyt4tv5edaensv.jpg [/img]

file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/vllkyt4tv5edaensv.jpg
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by Olu317(m): 7:27am On Dec 21, 2018
googi:
Yes, I have seen many

[url] file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/vllkyt4tv5edaensv.jpg [/url]

[img]. file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/vllkyt4tv5edaensv.jpg [/img]

file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/vllkyt4tv5edaensv.jpg

Not all Yorubas had marks on their faces in the past even if it was widely spread in the olden days when it begun. So,it was not true as being popularised by some writers/authors even if it has gradually fizzled out as times has changed back to when Yoruba don't wear marks on their faces. Though it was very common among Oyo and affiliated groups with a saying, that mark wearing was fashionable and of nobility. However, ‘Buje'; Randia Maculatas is the one I know was used by all Yorubas for tattooing.

And the Ichi marks may look like the one on sculpture that was found in ILE IFE but are different things to the wearer of such mark both in the different group you mentioned.I hope you know the people who wear Ichi is a scarification which indicate that the wearer had passed through initial initiation into the highest society Nze na Ozo ,thus marking the wearer as nobility. Unlike Yorubas,the mark wearers in Yoruba land are not for initiations but fashion or beautification of the face and distinction from others as well as to be able to identify the kidnapped in the future if such is found. One of the aspects for marks as initiation is due to Abikus reason, which made me have one through Ifa dictate. Apart from certain reason, marks aren't for initiation of some sort.

Perhaps, you have more information than this, kindly share.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by googi: 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
I agree with most of what you indicated.

But I think scarification, tattoos and tribal marks are also forms of writings those outside the culture or class may not understand.

So I think Yoruba and Africans in general use them as prolific writers well before slavery. Even before Europeans know how to read and write.

The Abiku you mentioned is a case in point.

Olu317:

Not all Yorubas had marks on their faces in the past even if it was widely spread in the olden days when it begun. So,it was not true as being popularised by some writers/authors even if it has gradually fizzled out as times has changed back to when Yoruba don't wear marks on their faces. Though it was very common among Oyo and affiliated groups with a saying, that mark wearing was fashionable and of nobility. However, ‘Buje'; Randia Maculatas is the one I know was used by all Yorubas for tattooing.

And the Ichi marks may look like the one on sculpture that was found in ILE IFE but are different things to the wearer of such mark both in the different group you mentioned.I hope you know the people who wear Ichi is a scarification which indicate that the wearer had passed through initial initiation into the highest society Nze na Ozo ,thus marking the wearer as nobility. Unlike Yorubas,the mark wearers in Yoruba land are not for initiations but fashion or beautification of the face and distinction from others as well as to be able to identify the kidnapped in the future if such is found. One of the aspects for marks as initiation is due to Abikus reason, which made me have one through Ifa dictate. Apart from certain reason, marks aren't for initiation of some sort.

Perhaps, you have more information than this, kindly share.

Cheers
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by DonCandido(f): 10:26pm On Dec 21, 2018
biafranation:

[color=#000099][/color]

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Tribal Mark As Very Close Relatives by DonCandido(f): 10:27pm On Dec 21, 2018
biafranation:

[color=#000099][/color]

Here are some. Hope it helps.

(1) (Reply)

Ja Ja King Of The Opobo ( 1821-1891 ) / Why Are Igbos Every Where In The World? / History Of AWORI People. For Those That Do Classify Us As Not Yoruba People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.