Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,948 members, 7,952,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:17 AM

Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize (32974 Views)

Abdulrazak Gurnah Wins 2021 Nobel Prize In Literature / Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1973 Before He Grew White Hair / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Award For Literature In 1986(throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by BluntBoy(m): 9:29am On Dec 22, 2018
myettiallah:

Oga, I know Things Fall Apart....
I know Purple Hybiscus..
But can you tell me the book that gave Soyinka his nobel prize?

For your information, the Nobel Prize is not awarded based on one book but on a writer's collection of books.

Many of you don't even know anything about the Nobel Prize but still you want to argue about who deserves it and who doesn't.

First go and read about the prize and stop exhibiting such shameful ignorance.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by bigpicture001: 9:37am On Dec 22, 2018
zanogo:

we all know your kind, your lamentations are as weak as you, just congratulate and move on, offline i hate people with this kind of inferior attitude.

Inferior..? Wot am i dragging with him..?

He is an old man bro..over 76yrs old
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by AmeLonRo(m): 9:37am On Dec 22, 2018
Soyinka is good. Achebe is good. Politics determines the winner bro.

https://newkokoro.com/2018/12/18/scholarships-and-grants/

BluntBoy:

Illiterate.

How do you measure greatness?

Soyinka wrote more books, was more versatile (writing in all the genres) and even beyond as a scriptwriter and a musician. Soyinka has more awards, including the most coveted award in Literature (the Nobel Prize). And all these, in spite of being 4 years younger than Achebe.

Before you argue with me, better get your facts right. Today is Saturday, I have a lot of time on my hand.
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by BluntBoy(m): 9:42am On Dec 22, 2018
AmeLonRo:

There was no politics.

The Prize was criticized as Eurocentric and so it decided to become more open in 1986.

As at 1986, Achebe had not written any book since 1966. You expect them to bypass a Soyinka who had been publishing plays and prose consistently since 1960 and give it to an Achebe who had not been active since he published "A Man of the People" in 1966?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by Ategberoson(m): 9:46am On Dec 22, 2018
2chukwu:
Since I learnt Yoruba and certificate forgeries are like five and six,couple with the fact the dude is a mere confusionist who with all his awards could not be bold enough to stand up for anything right in his own county! Just like the other one with all his certificates and level of pastorship still serve under a lifeless and certificateless Fulani...tufiakwa!!!

Weep silently bro. I can feel your pain

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by bjnice(m): 9:53am On Dec 22, 2018
2chukwu:
Since I learnt Yoruba and certificate forgeries are like five and six,couple with the fact the dude is a mere confusionist who with all his awards could not be bold enough to stand up for anything right in his own county! Just like the other one with all his certificates and level of pastorship still serve under a lifeless and certificateless Fulani...tufiakwa!!!

You are looking for attention u will not get?
This season is not for returning banter.
Enjoy the love God gives through his son.
Compliment of the season

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by mvem(m): 9:58am On Dec 22, 2018
naijapips04:
first abi only Nobel prize ? Achebe is still greater than him.
...do you know what a Nobel prize is....is the highest award you can receive in your field and you automatically become someone special in the world... It's very prestigious... Am not coming to say who is greater or better but fact is fact, he won the nobel prize

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by walosky(m): 10:01am On Dec 22, 2018
Cultist Alakanrin
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by mvem(m): 10:03am On Dec 22, 2018
myettiallah:

I know Purple Hybiscus..
...oh my God... See what you are saying... Is it how they award Nobel prize!!..why do people just come ignorantly and embarrass themself on social media, why bring sentiments... This is Nobel prize, the most prestigious award in the world given in your field and it takes years to come up with a winner... I don't even know where to start

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by Zodiac61(m): 10:45am On Dec 22, 2018
As far as I am aware, Soyinka only won one Nobel prize.
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by Fortune5588: 10:50am On Dec 22, 2018
He posted the picture when Chinua Achebe was still alive. was insta in existence then?
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by MOHSHESHI(m): 11:09am On Dec 22, 2018
Mr wale if its were dis daes sum of our lecturers hu are saddist wunt allow u get that noble prize oooo congratz Sire
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 22, 2018
nairaman66:
Already had a white hair then!! grin

It was scanty then

Not full blown
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by zanogo(m): 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2018
myettiallah:

I know Purple Hybiscus..
do not tell me you cant search online for that, that is why the president branded you people lazy, mr man!!! data is relatively cheap, do the needful. You dont need to be spoonfed every time.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by myettiallah: 2:15pm On Dec 22, 2018
zanogo:

do not tell me you cant search online for that, that is why the president branded you people lazy, mr man!!! data is relatively cheap, do the needful. You dont need to be spoonfed every time.
So I would need to search online before I can see soyinka's books?
Well that shows how unpopular his books are!!!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by grandstar(m): 2:42pm On Dec 22, 2018
Robbin7:
First?
How many Nobel prize he win?

My thoughts exactly!
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2018
TAO11:

Soyinka was jailed by the Nigerian government in 1967 during the Biafra war just becuse he stood up and spoke up in support of your ancestors.

You need to enrol in some history lesson.

You ingrate, son of ingrates

You're just another mooron. So Igbos should dance naked cos Soyinka supported Biafra in her early days?

Get to hell. You've no point.
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by TAO11(f): 3:24pm On Dec 22, 2018
IkonBee:

You're just another mooron. So Igbos should dance naked cos Soyinka supported Biafra in her early days?

No! my point is that Igbos should dance unclad at the market square for being a generation of ingrates.

And you're proving my point of Igbos being ingrates again and again.

Moreover, he still supports Biafra even till just before the death of Biafra recently, not only in its "early days"

stop being an "omo eranko"

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by BluntBoy(m): 3:33pm On Dec 22, 2018
IkonBee:

Look at you. Instead of correcting your kinsman who was being an ingrate, you are doing exactly the same thing that has made people stereotype Igbos as ingrates.

For many of you, everything is a battle between tribes. Your kinsman was wrong to say that Soyinka fought worthless battles when one of the battles Soyinka fought was for Biafra. But no, you don't know how to take sides against your kinsmen even if they are wrong. Everything is about ethnocentrism for you.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by TAO11(f): 3:47pm On Dec 22, 2018
bigpicture001:
He won nobel .Achebe won " bookerman".

The thing is that his award winning book is not even popular anywhere; " king babu"

Ordinary chimamanda is selling like fire evn without her promoting it in naija

Tell me how in a sane world you came up with a comparison of "Bookerman" prize and "Nobel" prize.

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry wins Bookerman. However, same cannot be said of Nobel prize -- the most prestigious award in the Arts and Sciences.

Recipients of Nobel prize are the world's best of the best. It's an ultimate accomplishment.

Strive hard not to remain ignorant and low esteemed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by Ayobami7(m): 4:05pm On Dec 22, 2018
大新闻
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by TAO11(f): 4:06pm On Dec 22, 2018
AmeLonRo:

Are you saying that the Yorubas are smarter and more savy in politics than the Igbos?

Can you say the same thing for every Nobel prize winner who had the edge over their peers?

And if not, why not? Why the pick and choose sentiment?

Just say it as it is ... the Nobel Prize (the most prestigious award inside and outside of academia --- a dream for great persons) goes to whoever deserves it most.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 22, 2018
BluntBoy:

Look at you. Instead of correcting your kinsman who was being an ingrate, you are doing exactly the same thing that has made people stereotype Igbos as ingrates.

For many of you, everything is a battle between tribes. Your kinsman was wrong to say that Soyinka fought worthless battles when one of the battles Soyinka fought was for Biafra. But no, you don't know how to take sides against your kinsmen even if they are wrong. Everything is about ethnocentrism for you.

I'm only responding cos you can spell, unlike the other miscreants. Anyway, you're a bum, for calling my people ingrates.

The problem with Nigerians is that they don't read, they prefer guessing and assuming. And, it's becoming a tradition in Yoruba land.

Back to the base, Soyinka shared the sentiments of many Biafrans hence, he wished his folks could champion for the creation of Odua republic. He knew succession was the best for a Fulani-dominated Nigeria.

However, Soyinka never fought for Biafra. When he traveled to Biafra to calm the growing tensions, the federal government accused him of collaborating with the biafrans. Then the FG put him in solictary confirment for 2years.

Soyinka didn't fight any battle for Biafra. Stop assuming or guessing like the regular Yoruba man, pick a book and read.
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by TAO11(f): 4:27pm On Dec 22, 2018
Eyin omo 'Igbo'.

E ye f'agba she yeye.

Kongi yi baba awa ni.

Beeni, baba eyin ni.

cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by zanogo(m): 4:28pm On Dec 22, 2018
myettiallah:
So I would need to search online before I can see soyinka's books? Well that shows how unpopular his books are!!!!
fortunately, you are a nobody, and your opinion doesnt count.
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by TAO11(f): 5:12pm On Dec 22, 2018
IkonBee:

I'm only responding cos you can spell, unlike the other miscreants. Anyway, you're a bum, for calling my people ingrates.

The problem with Nigerians is that they don't read, they prefer guessing and assuming. And, it's becoming a tradition in Yoruba land.

Back to the base, Soyinka shared the sentiments of many Biafrans hence, he wished his folks could champion for the creation of Odua republic. He knew succession was the best for a Fulani-dominated Nigeria.

However, Soyinka never fought for Biafra. When he traveled to Biafra to calm the growing tensions, the federal government accused him of collaborating with the biafrans. Then the FG put him in solictary confirment for 2years.

Soyinka didn't fight any battle for Biafra. Stop assuming or guessing like the regular Yoruba man, pick a book and read.

Mrs Spells grin grin grin

A quick review of IkonBee a.k.a Mrs Spells shows her to be guilty of the very accusation she peddles.

1. "succession"

*What do you mean by this in the context in which you've used it?

*I know you probably want some leniency now, but it's too late. I'm sorry.

*You probably want me to pardon it as a mistake rather than a dumbass howler.

*Well, I choose not to for the simple reason that you accused others of the same thing even without producing any example.

2. "solictary"

* Now I'm getting even more disappointed in you. This should not be coming from a spelling champion like you.

3. "confirment"

* Now I'm beginning to think that your excellency didn't type this yourself. It must have been typed by your dumb secretary. So, you're pardoned grin grin

4. "... guessing and assuming . And, it's becoming a tradition ..."

*Your ignorance actually appears, from the foregoing, to be beyond just spellings, or were you typing in a language other than English? grin grin

This is just some of the many ignorant blunders littering the poo you've put up here, yet you accuse others of being unable to spell even though you failed to produce an example.

Permit me to call on BluntBoy to do justice to refuting your empty claims.

My job here is only to give you a taste of your own medicine.

Bye ...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by BluntBoy(m): 5:31pm On Dec 22, 2018
IkonBee:

Soyinka never shared any sentiments. He just wanted peace.

Soyinka fought for Biafran prisoners of war with whom he shared cells. His travails are contained in his books Shuttle in the Crypt and The Man Died.

Hope you know that Soyinka was the first to document the Asaba Massacre? If not for him, perhaps, that massacre wouldn't have received international condemnations.

We won't all fight with guns. Soyinka fought with the pen, bringing Biafran plights to the rest of the world who didn't even know that a war was going on somewhere.

Soyinka pointed out Gowon's insensitivity by documenting the head of state's lavish wedding parties which went from state to state even while war ravaged the breakaway Eastern Nigeria (Biafra).

Read his books, especially, The Man Died.

Igbos who appreciate Soyinka honored him during the Asaba Massacre remembrance some years back. But these Igbos are very few. Majority just hate for no reason.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by TAO11(f): 5:52pm On Dec 22, 2018
BluntBoy:

Soyinka never shared any sentiments. He just wanted peace.

Soyinka fought for Biafran prisoners of war with whom he shared cells. His travails are contained in his books Shuttle in the Crypt and The Man Died.

Hope you know that Soyinka was the first to document the Asaba Massacre? If not for him, perhaps, that massacre wouldn't have received international condemnations.

We won't all fight with guns. Soyinka fought with the pen, bringing Biafran plights to the rest of the world who didn't even know that a war was going on somewhere.

Soyinka pointed out Gowon's insensitivity by documenting the head of state's lavish wedding parties which went from state to state even while war ravaged the breakaway Eastern Nigeria (Biafra).

Read his books, especially, The Man Died.

Igbos who appreciate Soyinka honored him during the Asaba Massacre remembrance some years back. But these Igbos are very few. Majority just hate for no reason.

I knew it.

I could have sworn that you will undoubtedly do no less than a great job.

kudos!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize by BluntBoy(m): 5:53pm On Dec 22, 2018
TAO11:

I knew it.
I could have sworn that you will undoubtedly do no less than a great job.
kudos!!
Thanks, bro cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel / Love Don't Cost A Thing. / Grace Ifeoma Adichie's Burial: Chimamanda's Mum Buried (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.