Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,974 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Michael Iheonukara Okpara - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Michael Iheonukara Okpara (5057 Views)

Mma Okpara Visits Governor Ikpeazu (Photos) / Pictures From Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State. / Jonathan Will Participate In 2013 Pilgrimage To Israel – Okpara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by AndreUweh(m): 8:28pm On Aug 06, 2010
@sean or what ever your silly name is, you are a no brainner at all. This thread is about Okpara, hence do not derail and quit putting your hand in your finger.
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by Dede1(m): 9:24pm On Aug 06, 2010
seanet02:

seems you are out of this world when okpara admitted that the GREATEST MISTAKE HE MADE IN HIS LIFE WAS NOT TEAMING UP WITH AWOLOWO YOU ARE REALLY A GREAT DISSAPOINTMENT ON YOUR FAMILY!!! slowpoke JUST READ THIS BY THE VERY MAN FIGHTING BIAFRAS CAUSE

If the political faith of Awo was left in the hands of Akintola, Balewa and few Yoruba cohorts, the so-called iconic Yoruba political figure in Awo would have ceased to breathe the free air immediately after his 1963 imprisonment. Baring the combination of diligent moves made by few Igbo stalwarts on the federal bench and Dr. M I Okpara to have Awo send to eastern region instead of federal prison in Bauchi, Nairaland probably would not have a junk such as you spewing crap on this forum. 

What a moronic dunce. Okpara would not have regretted the failure to join forces with Awo due to the positions held by each men and chronicle order of events in the protectorates. When Okpara became a premier and leader of NCNC, Awo’s political influence was seeing a serious political challenge from his kinsmen. Yet it was Okpara’s led NCNC that formed alliance with defeated remnants of AG supporters that gave rise to UPGA.
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by MaziUche0(m): 9:29pm On Aug 06, 2010
Dede1:

If the political faith of Awo was left in the hands of Akintola, Balewa and few Yoruba cohorts, the so-called iconic Yoruba political figure in Awo would have ceased to breathe the free air immediately after his 1963 imprisonment. Baring the combination of diligent moves made by few Igbo stalwarts on the federal bench and Dr. M I Okpara to have Awo send to eastern region instead of federal prison in Bauchi, Nairaland probably would not have a junk such as you spewing crap on this forum.

People tend to forget that Awolowo owes his life to Igbos such as Dr. Okpara. If he was sent to prison up North, we would not even be hearing the name Awolowo.
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by Dede1(m): 9:41pm On Aug 06, 2010
MaziUche0:

People tend to forget that Awolowo owes his life to Igbos such as Dr. Okpara. If he was sent to prison up North, we would not even be hearing the name Awolowo.

Bros, do not pay any mind to some of the loudmouths from southwest of Nigeria. If we had not known their forbearers, I would have wished to kick those of mine on the butt.
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by Katsumoto: 3:08am On Aug 07, 2010
MaziUche and Dede1

You have started with the fairy tales again; do tell, how did Okpara or any other Igbo save Awo? How was it the decision of the Eastern premier to decide where to send Awo to serve his sentence? Awo's alleged offence was treason, which was a federal offence. You guys believe too much in tales handed down by the older generation. I am not interested in what was said by someone in some secret meeting. Provide the evidence that it was Igbo sons that got Awo sent to Calabar. Awo was a federal prisoner and could have served his sentence anywhere in Nigeria. If Awo had died in prison under any circumstance, then there would have been trouble.

Dede1

In what election did Okpara campain in the North? Did Awo not campaign in the North? Anytime someone makes a post about Ndigbo on these forums, you immediately start making comparative statements between Igbo and Yoruba. If you must continue with that style, then at least try to be factually accurate at all times.See articles below

'But it is the rabble-rousing Zik who may wind up running the show. Last year he journeyed north to the Sardauna's palace with a proposal to work together to defeat Awolowo. The Sardauna was happy to cooperate, for he bitterly hates Awolowo, who for years has urged that the powers of the northern emirs be reduced and is trying to split off the large non-Moslem "Middle Belt" from the Northern Region and make it a separate state. None of the three regions is likely to get the absolute majority needed to rule all Nigeria by itself, but a Northern-Eastern coalition could make Zik the first federal Prime Minister; the North's Sardauna appears to have his own eyes on the dignified post of Governor General.

Helicopters & Trinkets. Awolowo's
Action Group is fighting all out to beat this powerful combine. By far the best organized and disciplined party in the country, its slick politicking is worthy of the U.S. pressagents Awolowo has hired to steer his campaign. He and his aides sail through the back country in helicopters, festoon the towns with modern banners and posters, and hand out books of matches and other election trinkets by the thousands. Two TV stations—the first in black Africa—will carry Awolowo's campaign cries when they start operating early next month.

Awolowo styles himself a "liberal democrat" and favors uncompromising allegiance with the West in foreign policy. Zik swears he is not anti-West (his son is at Harvard), but insists that independent Nigeria should follow a neutral foreign policy, much like that of Kwame Nkrumah in nearby Ghana

Such sophisticated distinctions have little part in the campaigning—Awolowo and Zik prefer to denounce each other as oppressors of the people. It goes over much better.'

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,892822-1,00.html#ixzz0po8gH7Z9

See also a statement made by Awo

AN AMENDMENT OPPOSING PRIME MINISTER ABUBAKAR TAFEWA BALEWA'S MOTION
SEEKING TO IMPOSE A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN NIGERIA'S WESTERN REGION
May 29, 1962

By Chief Obafemi Awolowo

"In the North, to the annoyance no doubt of my good friend the premier of Northern Nigeria, I think it is correct to say that it was the Action Group who, during the 1959 elections, campaigned for the first time in the history of Northern Nigeria. The hon. The Sardauna of Sokoto, the premier of the Northern Region, had to go into villages and towns and mount the soap boxes to address the masses. It had never happened in the history of the Northern Region that the Sardauna would descend to the depths of mounting a soap box and talking to the masses of the people - they take orders through other agencies and not directly from the Sardauna himself.

"I remember that a story was told to me on that occasion, that the Sardauna drove through several miles of dusty road and, at the end of it, he found himself covered with dust, and sneezing he said: "I will never forgive Awolowo for this!" If he does not want to forgive me we can talk that over between ourselves because we are friends, but this is not the way to deal with that particular situation: this is not the way to deal with that particular annoyance. This is wrong.

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/FedGovt/Federalism/emergency_rule/western_region_awolowo.html
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by bkbabe97y(m): 3:14am On Aug 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

Anytime someone makes a post anout Ndigbo on these forums, you immediately start making comparative statements between Igbo and Yoruba.

Is this the part where I come in, cus it seems the door has been left open. . . . grin

1 Like

Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by bkbabe97y(m): 3:16am On Aug 07, 2010
Oh wait! Is this the same Michael Okpara that Ifeajuna went to visit and chill with right after he murdered the other Premiers?

1 Like

Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by seanet02: 11:17am On Aug 07, 2010
@katsumoto, STILL A GENIUS HERE. STILL MY MASTER
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by Dede1(m): 6:49pm On Aug 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

MaziUche and Dede1

You have started with the fairy tales again; do tell, how did Okpara or any other Igbo save Awo? How was it the decision of the Eastern premier to decide where to send Awo to serve his sentence? Awo's alleged offence was treason, which was a federal offence. You guys believe too much in tales handed down by the older generation. I am not interested in what was said by someone in some secret meeting. Provide the evidence that it was Igbo sons that got Awo sent to Calabar. Awo was a federal prisoner and could have served his sentence anywhere in Nigeria. If Awo had died in prison under any circumstance, then there would have been trouble.

Dede1

In what election did Okpara campain in the North? Did Awo not campaign in the North? Anytime someone makes a post anout Ndigbo on these forums, you immediately start making comparative statements between Igbo and Yoruba. If you must continue with that style, then at least try to be factually accurate at all times.See articles below

'But it is the rabble-rousing Zik who may wind up running the show. Last year he journeyed north to the Sardauna's palace with a proposal to work together to defeat Awolowo. The Sardauna was happy to cooperate, for he bitterly hates Awolowo, who for years has urged that the powers of the northern emirs be reduced and is trying to split off the large non-Moslem "Middle Belt" from the Northern Region and make it a separate state. None of the three regions is likely to get the absolute majority needed to rule all Nigeria by itself, but a Northern-Eastern coalition could make Zik the first federal Prime Minister; the North's Sardauna appears to have his own eyes on the dignified post of Governor General.

Helicopters & Trinkets. Awolowo's
Action Group is fighting all out to beat this powerful combine. By far the best organized and disciplined party in the country, its slick politicking is worthy of the U.S. pressagents Awolowo has hired to steer his campaign. He and his aides sail through the back country in helicopters, festoon the towns with modern banners and posters, and hand out books of matches and other election trinkets by the thousands. Two TV stations—the first in black Africa—will carry Awolowo's campaign cries when they start operating early next month.

Awolowo styles himself a "liberal democrat" and favors uncompromising allegiance with the West in foreign policy. Zik swears he is not anti-West (his son is at Harvard), but insists that independent Nigeria should follow a neutral foreign policy, much like that of Kwame Nkrumah in nearby Ghana

Such sophisticated distinctions have little part in the campaigning—Awolowo and Zik prefer to denounce each other as oppressors of the people. It goes over much better.'

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,892822-1,00.html#ixzz0po8gH7Z9

See also a statement made by Awo

AN AMENDMENT OPPOSING PRIME MINISTER ABUBAKAR TAFEWA BALEWA'S MOTION
SEEKING TO IMPOSE A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN NIGERIA'S WESTERN REGION
May 29, 1962

By Chief Obafemi Awolowo

"In the North, to the annoyance no doubt of my good friend the premier of Northern Nigeria, I think it is correct to say that it was the Action Group who, during the 1959 elections, campaigned for the first time in the history of Northern Nigeria. The hon. The Sardauna of Sokoto, the premier of the Northern Region, had to go into villages and towns and mount the soap boxes to address the masses. It had never happened in the history of the Northern Region that the Sardauna would descend to the depths of mounting a soap box and talking to the masses of the people - they take orders through other agencies and not directly from the Sardauna himself.

"I remember that a story was told to me on that occasion, that the Sardauna drove through several miles of dusty road and, at the end of it, he found himself covered with dust, and sneezing he said: "I will never forgive Awolowo for this!" If he does not want to forgive me we can talk that over between ourselves because we are friends, but this is not the way to deal with that particular situation: this is not the way to deal with that particular annoyance. This is wrong.

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/FedGovt/Federalism/emergency_rule/western_region_awolowo.html

I am not going to be fazed by your attempt to label my posts as fairy tale because it is a matter of opinion and you are entitled to have one. However it goes to show how far removed Nigerians are capable of resolving issues bordered on politics and ethnicity.

My initial post was in response to an idiotic write-up posted by one goofy contributor. It was not an attempt to compare and contrast the personalities of principal politicians mentioned on the post.

Again on the fairy tale, I had rather judiciously guided the knowledge impacted on me by the tales than swallow the feel-happy craps written by hacks and propagated by undiscerning audience. I am embarrassingly disappointed in you for insinuating that any or every time the word, campaign, is written on a piece of paper it is manifested through electioneering engagements.

I found it very discouraging you are bent on flooding the forum with nonsensical write-ups minted by individuals whose mindset and knowledge of recorded events are questionable. Is it not laughable people are still propagating the nonsense that Lt Col Fajuyi wanted to die with Ironsi? What about the crap that Nigerian Armed Forces had only FIVE graduates pre-1966 coups?

I do not know the period Awo campaigned in Northern region of Nigeria but my so-called fairy tale had it that neither Awo nor Akintola showed up in Kano or Kaduna despite mountain of words of promise during the time in discuss. Although the permit granted to the southern protectorate’s political parties were revoked by the local authorities, the fact remains that a delegate from one of the major political parties from the south showed up in Kano amidst threats of political mayhem. By the way, the threat was actually carried out.

1 Like

Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by Katsumoto: 7:12pm On Aug 07, 2010
Dede1:

I am not going to be fazed by your attempt to label my posts as fairy tale because it is a matter of opinion and you are entitled to have one. However it goes to show how far removed Nigerians are capable of resolving issues bordered on politics and ethnicity.

My initial post was in response to an idiotic write-up posted by one goofy contributor. It was not an attempt to compare and contrast the personalities of principal politicians mentioned on the post.

Again on the fairy tale, I had rather judiciously guided the knowledge impacted on me by the tales than swallow the feel-happy craps written by hacks and propagated by undiscerning audience. I am embarrassingly disappointed in you for insinuating that any or every time the word, campaign, is written on a piece of paper it is manifested through electioneering engagements.

I found it very discouraging you are bent on flooding the forum with nonsensical write-ups minted by individuals whose mindset and knowledge of recorded events are questionable. Is it not laughable people are still propagating the nonsense that Lt Col Fajuyi wanted to die with Ironsi? What about the crap that Nigerian Armed Forces had only FIVE graduates pre-1966 coups?

I do not know the period Awo campaigned in Northern region of Nigeria but my so-called fairy tale had it that neither Awo nor Akintola showed up in Kano or Kaduna despite mountain of words of promise during the time in discuss. Although the permit granted to the southern protectorate’s political parties were revoked by the local authorities, the fact remains that a delegate from one of the major political parties from the south showed up in Kano amidst threats of political mayhem. By the way, the threat was actually carried out.

Dede1

You have convinced me; Time Magazine employs hacks as writers. In fact Time is not one of the most respected publications in the world. shocked
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by AloyEmeka8: 7:15pm On Aug 07, 2010
[size=14pt]I heard Michael Okpara finished his tenure in office and died after successful medical practice yet he couldn't afford one house in the township. Were those men from that generation Ghananians or was it the IBB factor that corrupted current Nigerian leaders?[/size]
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by asha80(m): 7:41pm On Aug 07, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

[size=14pt]I heard Michael Okpara finished his tenure in office and died after successful medical practice yet he couldn't afford one house in the township. Were those men from that generation Ghananians or was it the IBB factor that corrupted current Nigerian leaders?[/size]

asha 80:

To think that Pat Utomi once confessed on a program i was watching that he and some of his colleagues in UNN where making jokes against Okpara's son when they were students that Okpara's son was not living like the son of a premier of a region ie not flambouyant.
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by chyz(m): 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2010
MaziUche0:

Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by Dede1(m): 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

Dede1

You have convinced me; Time Magazine employs hacks as writers. In fact Time is not one of the most respected publications in the world. shocked

Even the bible some impostors are trying to turn into magical staff has factual issues. I hope you are not traumatized.
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by NwanyiOma1: 3:13am On Apr 22, 2012
seanet02: JUST TO COUNTER THE SAMUEL LADOKE AKINTOLA, IGBOS ALWAYS SECOND TO YORUBAS.
HOW MANY OF YOU IBOS EVEN HAVE MUCH TO SAY ABOUT HIM

You Yourbas are special. No wonder my esteemed Igbo Family has forbidden be to marry a Yoruba. You people are straight weird.

Sincerely,

Nwanyi Oma
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by NwanyiOma1: 3:14am On Apr 22, 2012
asha 80:

Bleep Pat Utomi and his over-sized nostrils! Right Okparas are humble people. He wouldn't know anything about humility, let alone honest service to teh Nigerian people. I love the Okparas. Honest people. Yet to see a match for them in the political arena.
Re: Michael Iheonukara Okpara by NwanyiOma1: 3:39am On Apr 22, 2012
bk.babe97y:
Oh wait! Is this the same Michael Okpara that Ifeajuna went to visit and chill with right after he murdered the other Premiers?

And ? so what ?! It's called being well connected. Love Michael Okpara
https://www.facebook.com/Dr.M.I.Okpara

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Replies Okah: You Are A Drowning Man / Buhari Steals Show At Yuguda’s Rally. Pdp Crowd Chanted,“we Don’t Want Jonathan" / Ovia, Otteh And Otedola Join GEJ Economic Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.