Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Nysc: A Mirage? A Miracle? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc: A Mirage? A Miracle? (427 Views)

My Life Ended When I Started Nysc” — A Week In The Life Of A Tired Youth Corper / Scraping Of Nysc: A Big Blow To Graduates Yet To Come / NYSC: A Nairalander Honored At Orientation Camp For Doing This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nysc: A Mirage? A Miracle? by Barnesgreat: 6:31am On Dec 23, 2018
With a heart full of joy I proceeded to serve my nation. Under the sun, in the rain. NYSC is an adventure for young hearts. Many struck gold during their one year. For some, it was not physical gold but a connection and reconnection with their God. I remember clearly how most Corpers will boastfully say that their service year was more like government paying them to serve God. To those who neither lived in the various religious organizations(NACC, NCCF and MCAN) nor their PPAs, they had all the pleasures in the world. Good food, less drama, free orgasms, lots of free time to discover their real selves, explore their communities without inhibitions.
Each time Corpers visit schools during Community Development Service (CDS), there's this glow that plays across the faces of the students. That glow is inspirational; both to the Corpers and to the students. To Corpers, it feels good knowing that they are contributing their quota to human capacity building. While the students feel inspired to aspire to greater academic heights.

You mat not know this, but NYSC has forged many relationships that transcends tribe, religion. These relationships bear good fruits in businesses, marriages, academics and other walks of life. Despite his hatred for northerners, Ejiro ended up with Zainab who he met during his service year in Sokoto. Nkechi is living happily with her Itsekiri husband and their three lovely boys. The idea of NYSC being a platform for national integration has been impactful. No doubts! The scheme has added more contacts to our social circle. Like my lawyer friend, Mujaheed once told me, 'the bigger your social circle, the higher you fly.'

Despite all these, some class of persons still considers the scheme a MIRAGE! N19800 is not a small money, but then, it's not big enough. Anyone who can manage well on that sum must really have a sound financial knowledge.. Truly, if that money is enough, most Corpers won't end up neck deep in debt and penniless after their Passing Out Parade (POP). If shortage of food spells stunted growth, shortage of cash spells stunted financial growth too. Corpers can actually be renumerated to empower them set up any venture of their choice afterwards. N237600 is the total sum for a full service year. House rents, feeding, transportation and contingencies all inclusive. The most a Corper can take away after all expenses is not up to N120000. Discoveries, researches are capital intensive. This explains why this scheme can't boast of any breathtaking scientific innovation. It is high time the pillars of NYSC are extended to include tangible developments and not just to serve only as a social unifier. Nigerian graduates should be given a mental push. Alawee shouldn't be capped at N237600. If the current total is the take-home of every Corp member after their service year, trust me, unemployment will be reduced by a great margin.

During the last POP, a friend mockingly told an outgoing Corper that 'passing out parade is a reminder that there is no job security anywhere in Nigeria.' We all laughed hard at his joke. To be more pragmatic, that's what it is. Afterall, we've witnessed staff been laid off after active years in an organisation. Let's call a spade a spade. Most corpers after 'loosing' their jobs during their POP are left stranded and directionless and they end up in the bin of joblessness. There should be a system that will reintegrate these young ones into the economy of our nation. Actually, NYSC can be remodified to absorb these Corpers and put their various talents and skills to full use. This time, not as teachers but as professionals in their various fields. Imagine if every state was to grant at least 10% of her serving Corpers employment into well paying jobs. How about if the Federal Government decides to sponsor well deserving Corpers to further their education and have them back in our system before the European bigshots braindrains them. A lot more can be achieved through this scheme. Nigeria's ours! Nigeria we serve.

Obidiofu B.O

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Graduate Of Federal University, Otuoke,commits Suicide / NYSC Is Hunting For Ex-corps Members Who Collected Loans But Refused To Pay Back / National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Internship Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.