Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? (1510 Views)

Help I'm Pregnant For A Married Man. / I'm Pregnant / Please I Need Advice Nairalanders... I Just Discovered I'm Pregnant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? by robosky02(m): 3:55pm On Dec 23, 2018
Can I take anti-malaria medication if I'm pregnant?

Ideally, you should not go to a place where there is malaria if you're pregnant. If you have to travel, speak to your GP before taking any anti-malaria medication.
Malaria and pregnancy
Malaria is a serious illness, particularly for pregnant women. It can result in severe illness or death, and affects both the mother and unborn baby.
Malaria is spread by mosquito bites and is most common in tropical countries. Approximately 1,500 travellers are diagnosed with malaria in the UK each year.
If you're pregnant and cannot delay or cancel your trip, get your GP's advice before you travel. You need to start taking some anti-malaria medicines before you travel, so seek advice well before your departure date.
Taking anti-malaria medication while pregnant
Your GP will advise you which, if any, anti-malaria medication to take. Remember to take it regularly and exactly as prescribed.
The type of medication you're prescribed will depend on where you're going, as the parasites that cause malaria vary around the world. Your GP will have up-to-date information about the most effective anti-malaria medication for your destination.
You can take some anti-malaria medicines safely during pregnancy, but should avoid others.
For example: 
Chloroquine and proguanil (usually combined) can be used in pregnancy, but may not offer enough protection against malaria in many regions, including Africa. You'll also need to take a 5mg supplement of folic acid if you're taking proguanil. If you're in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, remember to continue with your usual 400 microgram folic acid supplement after you stop taking the proguanil – while you're taking the 5mg supplement, you do not need to take the 400 micrograms as well.
Mefloquine should not be taken during your first trimester (the first 12 weeks of pregnancy).
Doxycycline should not be taken at all during pregnancy.
Atovaquone/proguanil should not be taken at all during pregnancy as there's a lack of evidence that it's safe to use in pregnancy.
What if I'm trying for a baby?
If you're due to travel to a place where malaria is present, you should delay trying for a baby while you're taking anti-malaria medication.
For more information, see Can I take malaria tablets if I'm trying for a baby?
Avoid mosquito bites
While you're overseas, taking the steps below will help you avoid mosquito bites:
use a mosquito repellent on your skin – choose one specifically recommended for use in pregnancy and apply it often, following the manufacturer's instructions
cover your arms and legs by wearing long-sleeved tops and long trousers after sunset
use a spray or coil in your room to kill any mosquitoes before you go to bed
sleep in a properly screened air-conditioned room or under a mosquito net that's been treated with insecticide – make sure the net is not broken
ideally, pregnant women should remain in
Cc lalasticlala, mynd44
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/pregnancy/can-i-take-anti-malaria-medication-if-i-am-pregnant/
Re: Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? by Oyindidi(f): 8:09pm On Dec 23, 2018
For this Nigeria?
Re: Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? by Rosarie(f): 8:14pm On Dec 23, 2018
Yes but the lowest grade .have forgotten d names of my own.i think amala or so sha it was always 100 naira been sold.d lowest o.just go ND reg now.malaria can make one loose their baby o.it is usually suppressed till u birth and not treated.cheap malaria drug.pls go to govt hospital if u can't afford private
Re: Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? by robosky02(m): 9:06pm On Dec 23, 2018
Oyindidi:
For this Nigeria?
which one you take when you get belle
Re: Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? by Nobody: 12:40am On Dec 24, 2018
lonart is mild,that's what l took during my time, and my kids came out without jaundice
Re: Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? by faithugo64(f): 6:46am On Dec 24, 2018
Yes you can, use artemether
Re: Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 24, 2018
see a doctor...don't engage in self-medication please that state is delicate
Re: Can I Take Anti-malaria Medication If I'm Pregnant? by robosky02(m): 7:25am On Dec 24, 2018
ikechizoba:
lonart is mild,that's what l took during my time, and my kids came out without jaundice
nice thank you

(1) (Reply)

Married Men, Come And See This!! Photo!!! / Actress Genny Uzoma Pictured On Set With Veteran Actress, Tina Mba (pictures) / Lady Recalls How Her Cousin Snatched Her Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.