Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over (923 Views)

Segun Odegbami For FIFA President Promo Photos / GLO-CAF Awards: Okocha, Kanu Leads ex-internationals To Gala Night / Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by honeric01(m): 5:34pm On Aug 06, 2010
Former Eagles captain Segun Odegbami is at the vanguard of former internationals who, on Thursday in Lagos, declared their intention to take over the administration of the game in the country.

Odegbami is running for President of the Nigeria Football Federation, and led a posse of ex players to a declaration gathering at the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos.

"The future of Nigerian football will be better served by those who understand the game and have played it," Odegbami said.

"We are ready to fight this cause. To use all that we have at our disposal to get to the place, even if it means contesting the Statutes. If anything goes wrong with the election, we will challenge it anywhere."

Odegbami's previous attempts at the Glass House have been thwarted, and the 1980 Nations Cup winner insisted that the time had come to rid the administration of the game from people whose intention is to enrich themselves.

Also presented for election by the ex internationals were 1980 Nations Cup winning captain Christian Chukwu, immediate past captain Austin Okocha and former midfielder Mutiu Adepoju.

Backing their candidacies, former striker Victor Ikpeba said Nigeria must follow the path towed by other countries.

"We say clearly here that Nigerian players have come of age. They have paid their dues. Football is their game. They must be an integral part of its administration in order for the game to move on to the next level. That is the practice in other parts of the developed football world that have thrown up the likes of Michel Platini, Ben Kofie, Salif Keita, Franz Beckenbauer and Kalusha Bwalya," Ikpeba said.

"Nigerian footballers remain the country's best international ambassadors. Yet, no Nigerian ex-international player has ever headed any major aspect of football administration in the country."

The elections are scheduled to hold on August 21.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/17063/segun-odegbami-leads-ex-players-planned-take-over.php

Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 07, 2010
The problem with these sort of campaigns is that they show a lot of promise in the media but you can not help but wonder how much of it is truly grounded?

Who are those voting? How many ex-footballers have been included in the delegates to the covention? Has there been any structural changes in the electoral process?

They can all make noise and build momentum from the public but the history of NFF tells me if its the same folks who usually vote, our collective hopes will be dashed.
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by honeric01(m): 11:03am On Aug 07, 2010
It's the state FAs that are going to be voting, i just don't like the settings
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by medjai(m): 11:17am On Aug 07, 2010
Segun Odegbami has nothing to offer. If i could vote, i would vote for Chief Obaseki or Bukola Olopade. They both have a good track record in sports administration
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by Olaolufred(m): 4:32pm On Aug 07, 2010
I support our ex-Internationals.

But, the electoral process is biased.

How i wish they allow Nigerian to do the voting,

and not those state FA theives.

Time will tell.
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by honeric01(m): 4:59pm On Aug 07, 2010
The problem i have with chief Obaseki is his manner of approach, too boastful, he should stop praising himself, rather let his works speak for him.

Too bad most of these ex-footballers won't get into the board with the current settings.
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by deb(m): 3:57pm On Aug 11, 2010
In other parts of the world Africa inclusive, they honorably invite their ex-footballers who have contributed so much to the game
as footballers to join in building their FA because of their exposure and the understanding of the game which is different from a
mere viewer's point of view.

However, in Nigeria it is NO GO AREA for our ex-footballers because some people will not let go of public funds that they want to stockpile in their private bank accounts. And some retard fans will be the first to condemn our ex-players as if they are from another planet.
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by deb(m): 4:01pm On Aug 11, 2010
medjai:

Segun Odegbami has nothing to offer. If i could vote, i would vote for Chief Obaseki or Bukola Olopade. They both have a good track record in sports administration

When I see comments like this I can't but shake my head. Segun Odegbami is the first Nigerian on earth that I know who started clamouring for
lush and green field of play for our local leagues so that the players can perform at their best and that was a long time in the very early 90s something that Obaseki just decided to implement in the league say from 2years ago yet all our local league stadia still don't have green grasses nor artificial turf.
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by folem: 6:06pm On Aug 11, 2010
deb:

Segun Odegbami is the first Nigerian on earth that I know who started clamouring for lush and green field of play for our local leagues so that the players can perform at their best and that was a long time in the very early 90s something that Obaseki just decided to implement in the league say from 2years ago yet all our local league stadia still don't have green grasses nor artificial turf.

grin grin grin
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by mamagee3(f): 7:11pm On Aug 11, 2010
honeric01:

It's the state FAs that are going to be voting, i just don't like the settings
grin grin cheesy
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by medjai(m): 12:40pm On Aug 13, 2010
deb:

When I see comments like this I can't but shake my head. Segun Odegbami is the first Nigerian on earth that I know who started clamouring for
lush and green field of play for our local leagues so that the players can perform at their best and that was a long time in the very early 90s something that Obaseki just decided to implement in the league say from 2years ago yet all our local league stadia still don't have green grasses nor artificial turf.
Bukola Olopade is the only sports administrator to publish his accounts after hosting a major competition; Ogun Sports Festival. Gateway Fc is one of the best ran clubs in the league. They hardly have problems with players wages, fans violence. The have the youngest squad in the NPL(which is why they are always getting relagated).
During Obaseki's tenure as NPL head, NPL was rated as the best league in Africa. He brought in a massive sponsorship from Glo worth 900 million naira. He sealed TV deal with Super sports that each club in the league gets 10 million naira as TV rights. He brought in digital substitution boards. He brought in Lucozade Sports and many other things to the league.
What has Segun Odegbami done since he stopped playing football? He tried his hands in managing 3SC, he was sacked. He ran a sports daily after he left Complete Sports; Sports Digest, he couldn't manage that.
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by honeric01(m): 3:02pm On Aug 13, 2010
medjai:

Bukola Olopade is the only sports administrator to publish his accounts after hosting a major competition; Ogun Sports Festival. Gateway Fc is one of the best ran clubs in the league. They hardly have problems with players wages, fans violence. The have the youngest squad in the NPL(which is why they are always getting relagated).
During Obaseki's tenure as NPL head, NPL was rated as the best league in Africa. He brought in a massive sponsorship from Glo worth 900 million naira. He sealed TV deal with Super sports that each club in the league gets 10 million naira as TV rights. He brought in digital substitution boards. He brought in Lucozade Sports and many other things to the league.
What has Segun Odegbami done since he stopped playing football? He tried his hands in managing 3SC, he was sacked. He ran a sports daily after he left Complete Sports; Sports Digest, he couldn't manage that.

I pray Obaseki win's that election, i see our football changing because that man knows how to bring in private sectors into football.
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by medjai(m): 7:52am On Aug 14, 2010
yes, i think Obaseki will do a wonderful job. I was listening to him on TV and he said that if elected as NFF chairman he will meet the senate to abrogate decree 101. He said he will also register the NFF as a private company and bring in sponsors . For me that is the way to go.
Today is the debate for NFF chairmanship aspirants. I dont know if it will be live on TV. Truthfully, i see no point in the debate because it will in no way influence the voters (state FA's). The only language the voters understand is money and promise of estacode.
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by honeric01(m): 10:21am On Aug 14, 2010
the nff presidential debate is live on ait now, if you love nigerian football, please tune in to ait right now!!!
Re: Odegbami Leads Ex-players Planned Take-over by honeric01(m): 10:49pm On Aug 19, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Man Slump And Died Watching Man U Vs Everton Match / Supporter Of Chelsea Collapsed And Died / Nigerian Super Eagles In Calaber.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.