Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? (614 Views)

Indian Bride Dies At Her Wedding & The Groom Marries Her Sister At Same Ceremony / Samuel Yarling: Pre-Wedding Photos Of The Groom That Died On His Wedding Day / I Dumped My Bride On Wedding Day Because She's Been Cheating On Me- Groom Shouts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by kay29000(m): 1:03pm On Dec 27, 2018
I was getting a haircut yesterday when someone in the barbershop was narrating what happened at a wedding he went for last weekend; he said when it was time to carry the bride, the groom did so, but was shaking, and quickly dropped her. Then the MC asked him to carry her again; as he attempted to do so, he fell on the floor with the bride.

They were all laughing in the barbershop, but it got me thinking. What if that guy has been hustling for months to get money and make sure the wedding is a success, and has become stressed out. Why do men have to go through so much stress to marry a woman? Why do men have to carry women they want to marry on the wedding day? Who started this? I wonder what feminists have to say about this...Pocohantas, what do you have to say? Would you want your groom to carry you on your wedding day?
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by Alexaonfleek: 1:28pm On Dec 27, 2018
So should the bride carry the groom instead

1 Like

Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by Larryfest(m): 1:28pm On Dec 27, 2018
Don't have any idea about it but some will argue that if you couldn't carry your bride on that day how sure is it that you can carry her responsibility but that doesn't make any sense though...
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by kay29000(m): 1:31pm On Dec 27, 2018
Alexaonfleek:
So should the bride carry the groom instead

No. No one should carry anyone. It is a partnership na.
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by lilmax(m): 1:31pm On Dec 27, 2018
what has feminism got to do with this
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by kay29000(m): 1:31pm On Dec 27, 2018
Larryfest:
Don't have any idea about it but some will argue that if you couldn't carry your bride on that day how sure is it that you can carry her responsibility but that doesn't make any sense though...

Lol
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by ibkayee(f): 1:33pm On Dec 27, 2018
It's just tradition, its origins/the reasoning behind it will depend on the culture. One is that it symbolises the groom taking the bride away from her family and into a new life with him, another is that it avoids bringing bad luck by thwarting evil spirits or something, which men were immune to, there are a variety of reasons.

Don’t think it’s compulsory or even a big deal, it's just a 'cute' tradition nowadays

Lol I don't know what feminism has to do with it, but since you want to bring it up your best bet is to ask the men who more than likely came up with the ideas all those years ago, women were pretty powerless back then so I doubt we gave much input concerning this matter

2 Likes

Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by kay29000(m): 1:38pm On Dec 27, 2018
ibkayee:
It's just tradition, its origins/the reasoning behind it will depend on the culture. One is that it symbolises the groom taking the bride away from her family and into a new life with him, another is that it avoids bringing back luck by thwarting evil spirits or something, which men were immune to, there a variety of reasons.

Don’t think it’s compulsory or even a big deal, it's just a 'cute' tradition

Lol I don't know what feminism has to do with it, but since you want to bring it into it your best bet is to ask the men who more than likely came up with the ideas all those years ago, women were pretty powerless back then so I doubt we gave much input concerning this matter

Thanks for the explanation. I don't like the tradition jare. If the MC ask me to carry my wife on my wedding day, he won't get paid.lol

About me bringing feminism into it, don't me o...I want to look for pocohantas' trouble.
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by CreepyBlackpool: 1:40pm On Dec 27, 2018
Has any man ever said no and was forced to carry the bride

op what exactly is your problem
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by ibkayee(f): 1:42pm On Dec 27, 2018
kay29000:

Thanks for the explanation. I don't like the tradition jare. If the MC ask me to carry my wife on my wedding day, he won't get paid.lol

About me bringing feminism into it, don't me o...I want to look for pocohantas' trouble.
Lol fair enough, if you don't want to do it, don't. Traditions can be nice but at the end of the day, weddings are supposed to be tailored to suit the tastes of those getting married

Lol thought you were probably trolling but I'm sure a bunch of other Nigerian specimen will bring it up and actually be serious lol

1 Like

Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by kay29000(m): 1:44pm On Dec 27, 2018
ibkayee:

Lol fair enough, if you don't want to do it, don't. Traditions can be nice but at the end of the day, weddings are supposed to be tailored to suit the tastes of those getting married

Lol thought you were probably trolling but I'm sure a bunch of other Nigerian specimen will bring it up and actually be serious lol

smiley
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by kay29000(m): 1:45pm On Dec 27, 2018
CreepyBlackpool:
Has any man ever said no and was forced to carry the bride

op what exactly is your problem

I'm just pitying that man that was humiliated at his own wedding. He will never forget that for the rest of his life. cry
Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by CreepyBlackpool: 1:52pm On Dec 27, 2018
kay29000:

I'm just pitying that man that was humiliated at his own wedding. He will never forget that for the rest of his life. cry

He coulda said no

he shoulda said no

isn't he the one paying the mc.

No one is making me do sh!t I don't want to do at my own event

1 Like

Re: Why Does the Groom have to Carry the Bride on their Wedding Day? by Fierce11: 3:18pm On Dec 27, 2018
All useless feminists on this forum have suddenly gone numb..
Well Mr. OP, the answer is as clear as the question; the groom is carrying her lazy ass away from the struggles she should have gone through.
Most women are NOTHING before marriage. They finish secondary education then wait for Uni.. If it doesn't click (or even if it clicks), they just get married to avoid taking the path of depression, loneliness, poverty and the almost inevitable "evening newspaperness"...
From the above excerpt, you should clearly see the significance of "carrying the bride".. The groom is ceremoniously displaying the act of uplifting these feminists hoes from the pithole of societal struggles which they were immersed in..
*spits on feminists.

(1) (Reply)

Can You Date Or Marry A Tomboy? / Stay Longer In Bed Naturally. / Moderators Please Cut Out This Sex This Sex That Topics On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.