Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,807 members, 7,956,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:10 PM

Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 (40617 Views)

Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) / Ibrahim Nasiru Mantu Is Dead: Former Deputy Senate President Dies / Death Of Shehu Shagari: Tambuwal, Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Decryptor(m): 9:16pm On Dec 28, 2018
Neozy:
Shagari's government successfully builded the solid foundation of corruption and/or looting of public funds in Nigeria. Subsequent governments just built on the foudation and the house(corruption) is standing strong today and going from strength to strength. I don't blame him though, i only blame Obasanjo who helped him rig the election and influence and manipulated court decisions. Awolowo is the best president Nigeria never had.

Oga...Awolowo was never the president of Nigeria. He was a premier of Western region.
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by ultimateprof: 9:23pm On Dec 28, 2018
RIP sir.
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by AmeLonRo(m): 9:27pm On Dec 28, 2018
Oh. Rest in peace to our gentle 1st Executive President.
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by ultimateprof: 9:28pm On Dec 28, 2018
RIP
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Neozy(m): 9:32pm On Dec 28, 2018
Decryptor:

Oga...Awolowo was never the president of Nigeria. He was a premier of Western region.
Calm down and read my comment again.

3 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Awoleesu(m): 9:32pm On Dec 28, 2018
Zaikon:
Gone too soon

Either Buhari of Atiku, thats what gon end everyone.

At 93! "Gone too soon"?

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Decryptor(m): 9:41pm On Dec 28, 2018
Neozy:

Calm down and read my comment again.

Oh...i read it again. Thank God he was never president. He would have actually been the worst!
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by hush15: 9:41pm On Dec 28, 2018
EmagNig:
Shehu Shagari is dead. He died at the age of 93.

His demise was announced on twitter by his grandson, Bello Shagari.

Bello Shagari tweeted:

The moment Bello Shagari announced the death of the former President, consolatory messages have been pouring in from friends, families and associates.

Umar Kaltungo‏ wrote:

Breaking!! Inna Lillahi wa'ina Ilaihin Raji'un! Sources from the National Hospital just informed me that Former President SHEHU SHAGARI IS DEAD. He died a few minutes ago. May Allah grant him Aljannat Firdausi.

Shehu Usman Aliyu Shagari GCFR, (born February 25, 1925 - December 28, 2018 served as the first and only President of Nigeria's Second Republic (1979–1983), after the handover of power by General Olusegun Obasanjo's military government.

Shagari also served seven times in a ministerial or cabinet post as a federal minister and federal commissioner from 1958–1975.

https://lailasnews.com/shehu-shagari-is-dead/

lalasticlala mynd44

just saying... na buhari overthrow this man, under this same buhari, this man died....

what do we call this one now ehn!

Buhari, i throw salute for you o.....
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by kenoz(m): 9:56pm On Dec 28, 2018
RIP to him
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by OreMI22: 9:59pm On Dec 28, 2018
W3xy1:
May Allah repose his soul in aljanat firdas and forgive his shortcomings

A great man and man of Peace.

May almighty Allah accept your soul and rest in peace.

Who knows where Nigeria would have been today if Buhari didn't plot the coup of 1984 to abort democracy in Nigeria?

That was the beginning of all the evils we experienced up till this day.
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 28, 2018
RIP President Shehu Shagari.
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Neozy(m): 10:01pm On Dec 28, 2018
Decryptor:

Oh...i read it again. Thank God he was never president. He would have actually been the worst!
Why? Explain yourself.
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Decryptor(m): 10:07pm On Dec 28, 2018
Neozy:

Why? Explain yourself.

He was a bigot! QED!!
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by raphaeladeyele: 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2018
REST IN PERFECT PEACE
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by nelsonose: 10:19pm On Dec 28, 2018
Jayslicky:
R.I.P to the old man, this is the innocent man mr integrity buhari plotted a coup against, in a good country buhari would not qualify to contest in an election because of his past atrocities.
You are very right. This is one of the best comments I have read lately.
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by budaatum: 10:21pm On Dec 28, 2018
First, rip.

Jayslicky:
R.I.P to the old man, this is the innocent man mr integrity buhari plotted a coup against.
Now, you! I don't think you could possibly have been alive when Shagari was the president of Nigeria, or you were way too young at the time. I do not know if Shagari himself was corrupt, and since nothing points to him having been, I would not say otherwise, but his government was so incompetently bad that we were dancing on the street when bubu kicked him and his lot out!

That in fact is why we gave bubu the chance to rule us again!
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by sayisayi(m): 10:47pm On Dec 28, 2018
Wetin we gain?
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by ogbonti: 10:47pm On Dec 28, 2018
engrjacuzzi:
the same man Fela sang about. Padi Padi government.

Shorrop there, Fela.didn't accuse Shagari, he was kinda defending Shagari....listen!

"Dem come go hold Shagari, dem say President Shagari him steal......

Shagari sef don talk before, na empty treasury him meet for there. .......

Na Shagari only dem go hold, what about the other presidents?"

Padi padi government he was talking about about was Obasanjo''s military junta of 1976 to 1979.....

Pady pady, wayo wayo, economy, money money, add am together give me the answer ... ARMY ARRANGEMENT!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by budaatum: 11:08pm On Dec 28, 2018
Neozy:
Shagari's government successfully built the solid foundation of corruption and/or looting of public funds in Nigeria. Subsequent governments just built on the foudation and the house(corruption) is standing strong today and going from strength to strength. I don't blame him though, i only blame Obasanjo who helped him rig the election and influence and manipulated court decisions. Awolowo is the best president Nigeria never had.
Pity people do not seem to know this!

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by omohayek: 11:09pm On Dec 28, 2018
Only in Nigeria will the passing at the venerable old age of 93 of a terrible leader like Shagari, who oversaw a jamboree of looting only equaled under Abacha, be hailed as if it were the untimely demise of a Mandela-like, saintly figure. Massive vote-rigging, import-licensing monopolies, gigantic white elephant projects, huge payouts for contracts that were never executed, federal offices being set on fire to destroy evidence of corruption - you name it, the Shagari government saw it happen.

Let's call a spade a spade: just because it was Buhari who overthrew Shagari's utterly corrupt regime doesn't mean we have to forget how awful things were between 1979 and 1983. The excuse that Shagari didn't know what was going on won't wash either, as no one forced him to become the Presidential candidate for the NPN, or to stay in office as the economy sank under the weight of rampant borrowing to fund kleptocracy run riot. Shagari was very lucky most Nigerians have short memories and are ignorant of even the recent history of their own country, or he would have had to live the rest of his years in exile for fear of the rage of the masses.

As for those whose hatred of Buhari makes them praise Shagari as some sort of victim, Buhari and Idiagbon's coup would never have had any legitimacy in the first place if Shagari was the wise and honest leader you wish to make him out to have been. It was Shagari's own feckless rule which provided the excuse the coup-plotters needed to strike, and I'm old enough to remember that for this very reason there was near universal jubilation amongst the populace at first (until the jubilating masses eventually came to realize that wearing military khaki doesn't make a man either wise or honest).

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by budaatum: 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2018
OreMI22:

A great man and man of Peace.

May almighty Allah accept your soul and rest in peace.

Who knows where Nigeria would have been today if Buhari didn't plot the coup of 1984 to abort democracy in Nigeria?

That was the beginning of all the evils we experienced up till this day.
Those of us alive would tell you that we would have been bankrupt! The debt Obasanjo begged Paris Club to forgive got huge under this man!

Still Rip though.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by naptu2: 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2018
NPN! - One Nigeria!

One Nigeria! - One Shagari!
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by budaatum: 11:25pm On Dec 28, 2018
omohayek:
Only in Nigeria will the passing at the venerable old age of 93 of a terrible leader like Shagari, who oversaw a jamboree of looting only equaled under Abacha, be hailed as if it were the untimely demise of a Mandela-like, saintly figure. Massive vote-rigging, import-licensing monopolies, gigantic white elephant projects, huge payouts for contracts that were never executed, federal offices being set on fire to destroy evidence of corruption - you name it, the Shagari government saw it happen.

Let's call a spade a spade: just because it was Buhari who overthrew Shagari's utterly corrupt regime doesn't mean we have to forget how awful things were between 1979 and 1983. The excuse that Shagari didn't know what was going on won't wash either, as no one forced him to become the Presidential candidate for the NPN, or to stay in office as the economy sank under the weight of rampant borrowing to fund kleptocracy run riot. Shagari was very lucky most Nigerians have short memories and are ignorant of even the recent history of their own country, or he would have had to live the rest of his years in exile for fear of the rage of the masses.

As for those whose hatred of Buhari makes them praise Shagari as some sort of victim, Buhari and Idiagbon's coup would never have had any legitimacy in the first place if Shagari was the wise and honest leader you wish to make him out to have been. It was Shagari's own feckless rule which provided the excuse the coup-plotters needed to strike, and I'm old enough to remember that for this very reason there was near universal jubilation amongst the populace at first (until the jubilating masses eventually came to realize that wearing military khaki doesn't make a man either wise or honest).
You be Omo Hayek tru tru! Thanks for this!

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 28, 2018
omohayek:

Yeah.
Heard he was an epitome of incompetence and fiscal recklessness. Good riddance.

3 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 28, 2018
cool
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 28, 2018
omohayek:

. Thanks a lot for your analysis and information sir. It is comments like these that make coming to nairaland worthwhile.

3 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by EngrKem: 11:54pm On Dec 28, 2018
chadahh:
R, I. P
U guys should stop this ur local yahoo her now! Stop duping people
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by aero1: 11:59pm On Dec 28, 2018
Abfinest007:
go and inherit ur 17 virgins in hell

Your madness is out of control now, I pray!, may it lead you straight to your 17 virgin pigs at the same hell.....mumu.
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by brightlinse(m): 3:54am On Dec 29, 2018
RIP
Re: Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 by Muscomide: 4:29am On Dec 29, 2018
To call a spade a spade, Shagari was highly incompetent. In fairness to him though, he was at least more active than 'this lifeless one' at the helm presently.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Tinubu Is Here To Finish You Off - Sowore Warns Nigerian Students / Ambode Orders Repair Of Oshodi-Apapa Expressway(pics) / Florence Ajimobi Honours Policewoman In The Rain Controlling Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.