Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,545 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups (898 Views)

The Eastern Region Series : Igbo Domination Myth Part 1. / Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. / Give Us Senate President Or Give Us Biafra, Great Igbo Leaders Warns Federal Gov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by teufelein(f): 8:25am On Dec 30, 2018
DESTROYING ALLEGED IGBO DOMINATION BY MINORITY ETHNIC GROUPS IN THE OLD EASTERN REGION

lgbophobia in Niger Delta.

Written by Efa-Iwa Rex Egbe

"Some weeks back, I made a rebuttal about the erroneous and mischievous rants of some of my (our) misinformed "Niger Delta" brothers. First and foremost let me tell you all a little story for the avoidance of doubt, I’m from the Agbo ethnic group in Cross River State, we are located in Abi Local Government Area which is a coastal settlement and unarguably the smallest LGA in Cross River State in terms of landmass and to a large extent population slightly a few thousands ahead of Bakassi LGA.

My fore bearers both on my maternal and paternal side were given the opportunity to serve in then Eastern Nigeria regional government, My grand uncle Dr. S E Imoke of blessed memory was an all influential cabinet minister in the regime of M I Okpara he held the Trade portfolio and was also Finance minister at a time until the unfortunate incident of January 1966 he was the longest serving Education minister his son the urbane Liyel Imoke is the immediate past Governor of our state “Cross River”, during the outbreak of the War he was the Biafran Commissioner for Refugees and Humanitarian affairs.

Aside South East, one of my maternal uncles also served as Permanent Secretary in the ministry of health at Enugu. My maternal grand father was also a frontline member of the Eastern Nigeria regional house of Chiefs alongside other minority chiefs like Chief Offem of Ugep, Ndoma-Egba of Ikom amongst others.

The Chairman of the very powerful and most influential House of Chiefs was Chief Nyong Essien, OBE an Ibibio High chief of a not so prominent chiefdom “not the Obi of Onitsha nor the Igwe of any other powerful Igbo city”.

Outside my family circles, another great Cross Riverian MT Mbu was nominated a Federal Minister of Transport and Navy by the Igbo controlled NCNC. It’s on record that Mbu was Nigeria’s first Ambassador to the UK, UN, and U.S and he's from Boki in Cross River state.

Boki is another minority ethnic group just like my native Agboland. The Igbos gave him the opportunity to excel ahead of their own worthy sons at that time, he is the father to Senator. M.T Mbu jr, another person who is noteworthy is the late Chief. Michael Eta-Ogon who was the Administrator of the oil rich Port Harcourt province in the first republic he is also from the same Boki with Mbu.

Thomas Weir Ikpeme an Efik man from Odukpani in my native Cross River was the longest serving Permanent Secretary in the Eastern Regional Ministry of Education, the key point is that the Igbo’s were comfortable with us “the minorities” that was why they entrusted education solely in our hands, not only education but other critical areas like Public Works and Transport etc.

N.U Akpan an Ibibio man from Akwa Ibom state was the technocrat behind the eastern regional public service, he was the Secretary to the regional government, Anwana Esin a man from Oron in Akwa Ibom state, Oron is a distinct and small riverine ethnic group was the Eastern Regional Minister of Local government.

So also was Ibanga Akpabio, an Annang man from Ukana in present day Akwa Ibom state was the regional minister of Internal Affairs, the former Governor of Akwa Ibom state Godswill Akpabio is his nephew, they were other high ranking cabinet ministers of minority origin like one of our family good friends, HRH. Amanyanabo EP Okoya,Agada III the Ibenanowei of Ekpetiama in Bayelsa State.

Chief Erekosinma of Rivers and a whole lot of others who are too numerous to mention.During the secessionist struggle, an Ogoni from Rivers state, Chief Ignatius Kogbara was Biafra’s Ambassador to Britain.

My dad’s friend Chief Lekam Okoi from Idomi in present day Yakurr LGA of Cross River state was one of Ojukwu’s trusted drivers, he is today a successful lawyer and a former Commissioner in the Federal Character Commission, Capt. Akpet a minority from Cross River was also Ojukwu’s dependable aide on intelligence.

Secondly for the avoidance of doubt, aside these political appointments, our people enjoyed immense goodwill from the Igbo dominated region by way of social security, my dad’s immediate elder brother received a scholarship from the regional government that enabled him study for a PhD in soil science.

He is the first man “arguably” in Africa to obtain a doctorate in Soil science and i have friends across the Niger Delta whose parents, uncles, aunties and relatives also benefited from the benevolence of the regional government.
It is also a known fact that our Niger Delta region received it’s last major facelift in terms of infrastructure when we were under the Eastern region.

Till the abolition of the regional system of government the Eastern region was the most united region, they was never a recorded case of ethnic skirmish or BLOOD letting between the Igbo’s and other minority groups,during the pogrom of 1966 we all carried the same cross to “Golgotha”, both Igbos and Eastern minorities where maimed in their thousands across Northern Nigeria by the blood thirsty Hausa/Fulani and the Northern folks without blinking an eye.

It doesn’t really matter if you were Igbo, Ijaw, Efik or a miniature Agbo person. I never really wanted to bore you with reading this lengthy essay but it’s my moral responsibility to tell the truth at all times, I was taught by my fore bearers never to distort history and to always separate facts from fictions.

If we were not marginalized by the Igbos during the “analogue” age, how then can the Igbos marginalize us in this digital age and time? The fear, misgivings and misconceptions of Igbo dominance by most of my (our) Niger Delta people who are poor students of history are unconscionable and unfounded.

Moreover there is no family in our region without Igbo relatives and blood.
So the cry is a much ado about nothing.
"Man must know thyself, and to thyself be true".

#DebunkTheirLies

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by teufelein(f): 8:39am On Dec 30, 2018
THE CREED OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE RISING SUN

-Be without fear in the face of your enemies
-Be brave and upright that God may love thee
-Speak the truth ALWAYS even if it leads to your death
-Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong

This is my oath, my word, my bond....what is yours?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by kingharzy: 8:40am On Dec 30, 2018
undecided

This BIO 402 handout has made a good point. It takes one with good eyes, seasoned experience and a functional brain to identify a problem and offer a solution.
Kudos sir.

1 Like

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by teufelein(f): 9:04am On Dec 30, 2018
If we were not marginalized by the Igbos during the “analogue” age, how then can the Igbos marginalize us in this digital age and time? The fear, misgivings and misconceptions of Igbo dominance by most of my (our) Niger Delta people who are poor students of history are unconscionable and unfounded.

Words on Marble

1 Like

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Glorymax: 9:31am On Dec 30, 2018
I keep asking the question; why was HISTORY as a subject abolished in our schools?

The great philosopher says "an unexamined life is not worth living". How do one examine his/her life? One looks back into one's yesterday today so that tomorrow can be well planned.
When today's generation have been blinded from looking into yesterday through the abolition of HISTORY in our school curriculum, with an unfounded reasons that it's abolition has not brought the expected result.
Who knows, abolition of HISTORY in schools might be one of the reasons the country seems to be on a rudderless voyage.

Only the truth can set us free and be on path of positive development as a country

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Heartbender: 10:00am On Dec 30, 2018
The East, which was one of a tripartite structure, was made up of all the present day south Eastern states and the South Southern states excluding parts of Delta and Edo. It was a region in a federation. The Igbos must abide by "unity laws" and so to show representation, like Federal Character, every other non-Igbo tribe must have representatives in government...when Adaka Boro began the first agitation for secession it was seriously refuted by Igbos because it was against them largely. Having portfolio appointment is different from being elected the head of a regional government and not merely a second fiddle. If only history was taught in schools, OP won't write this. His/her opinion though
Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by awgumayor: 10:04am On Dec 30, 2018
You have tried to clear the air, it left for some misguided we south south to believe you. But wether they believe or not it's time for the igbo communities both in south east and south south to start identifying themselves and speak with one voice. The discovering of oil broght the useless disunity yet none have benefited from it. Igbos are after our oil yet you can't stop hausa and yoruba from stealing from it. Quiet unfortunate that most of the oil blocks belong to people from other regions or zones, how many ss man has oil block to compare to sw and north. Discovering of oil did not only blind the minorities, it makes them stupid. As long as igboman is sidelined all is good. Thanks for the nice write-up but in case biafra goes I so much love it to be only igbo and no inch of igboland shall be left out to avoid creating Israel (biafra) and niger delta(Palestine) conflict. We know our boundaries, even if take us years, we must recover all.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by tribalmall: 10:22am On Dec 30, 2018
Did anyone notice there is no like to affirm if this is another fraudulent Igbo propaganda being perpetrated. Nigerians fear Igbos O, this people can lie to heaven n back. Shine ya eye O !
Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 30, 2018
Space booked, waiting for afonjas to come in as usual. I know they want to come but the evidence presented is so heavy that they are thinking if to come or not. Come in, you will regret your life today. Wicked divisive things...like the one below me!

2 Likes

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 30, 2018
Why are Igbos feeling funky? Which dominance are you talking about?

Because peaceful people from a particular region allowed you to open mini shops in their state doesn't mean you dominate anything

1 Like

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Resener12(m): 10:41am On Dec 30, 2018
teufelein:
DESTROYING ALLEGED IGBO DOMINATION BY MINORITY ETHNIC GROUPS IN THE OLD EASTERN REGION

lgbophobia in Niger Delta.

Written by Efa-Iwa Rex Egbe

"Some weeks back, I made a rebuttal about the erroneous and mischievous rants of some of my (our) misinformed "Niger Delta" brothers. First and foremost let me tell you all a little story for the avoidance of doubt, I’m from the Agbo ethnic group in Cross River State, we are located in Abi Local Government Area which is a coastal settlement and unarguably the smallest LGA in Cross River State in terms of landmass and to a large extent population slightly a few thousands ahead of Bakassi LGA.

My fore bearers both on my maternal and paternal side were given the opportunity to serve in then Eastern Nigeria regional government, My grand uncle Dr. S E Imoke of blessed memory was an all influential cabinet minister in the regime of M I Okpara he held the Trade portfolio and was also Finance minister at a time until the unfortunate incident of January 1966 he was the longest serving Education minister his son the urbane Liyel Imoke is the immediate past Governor of our state “Cross River”, during the outbreak of the War he was the Biafran Commissioner for Refugees and Humanitarian affairs.

Aside South East, one of my maternal uncles also served as Permanent Secretary in the ministry of health at Enugu. My maternal grand father was also a frontline member of the Eastern Nigeria regional house of Chiefs alongside other minority chiefs like Chief Offem of Ugep, Ndoma-Egba of Ikom amongst others.

The Chairman of the very powerful and most influential House of Chiefs was Chief Nyong Essien, OBE an Ibibio High chief of a not so prominent chiefdom “not the Obi of Onitsha nor the Igwe of any other powerful Igbo city”.

Outside my family circles, another great Cross Riverian MT Mbu was nominated a Federal Minister of Transport and Navy by the Igbo controlled NCNC. It’s on record that Mbu was Nigeria’s first Ambassador to the UK, UN, and U.S and he's from Boki in Cross River state.

Boki is another minority ethnic group just like my native Agboland. The Igbos gave him the opportunity to excel ahead of their own worthy sons at that time, he is the father to Senator. M.T Mbu jr, another person who is noteworthy is the late Chief. Michael Eta-Ogon who was the Administrator of the oil rich Port Harcourt province in the first republic he is also from the same Boki with Mbu.

Thomas Weir Ikpeme an Efik man from Odukpani in my native Cross River was the longest serving Permanent Secretary in the Eastern Regional Ministry of Education, the key point is that the Igbo’s were comfortable with us “the minorities” that was why they entrusted education solely in our hands, not only education but other critical areas like Public Works and Transport etc.

N.U Akpan an Ibibio man from Akwa Ibom state was the technocrat behind the eastern regional public service, he was the Secretary to the regional government, Anwana Esin a man from Oron in Akwa Ibom state, Oron is a distinct and small riverine ethnic group was the Eastern Regional Minister of Local government.

So also was Ibanga Akpabio, an Annang man from Ukana in present day Akwa Ibom state was the regional minister of Internal Affairs, the former Governor of Akwa Ibom state Godswill Akpabio is his nephew, they were other high ranking cabinet ministers of minority origin like one of our family good friends, HRH. Amanyanabo EP Okoya,Agada III the Ibenanowei of Ekpetiama in Bayelsa State.

Chief Erekosinma of Rivers and a whole lot of others who are too numerous to mention.During the secessionist struggle, an Ogoni from Rivers state, Chief Ignatius Kogbara was Biafra’s Ambassador to Britain.

My dad’s friend Chief Lekam Okoi from Idomi in present day Yakurr LGA of Cross River state was one of Ojukwu’s trusted drivers, he is today a successful lawyer and a former Commissioner in the Federal Character Commission, Capt. Akpet a minority from Cross River was also Ojukwu’s dependable aide on intelligence.

Secondly for the avoidance of doubt, aside these political appointments, our people enjoyed immense goodwill from the Igbo dominated region by way of social security, my dad’s immediate elder brother received a scholarship from the regional government that enabled him study for a PhD in soil science.

He is the first man “arguably” in Africa to obtain a doctorate in Soil science and i have friends across the Niger Delta whose parents, uncles, aunties and relatives also benefited from the benevolence of the regional government.
It is also a known fact that our Niger Delta region received it’s last major facelift in terms of infrastructure when we were under the Eastern region.

Till the abolition of the regional system of government the Eastern region was the most united region, they was never a recorded case of ethnic skirmish or BLOOD letting between the Igbo’s and other minority groups,during the pogrom of 1966 we all carried the same cross to “Golgotha”, both Igbos and Eastern minorities where maimed in their thousands across Northern Nigeria by the blood thirsty Hausa/Fulani and the Northern folks without blinking an eye.

It doesn’t really matter if you were Igbo, Ijaw, Efik or a miniature Agbo person. I never really wanted to bore you with reading this lengthy essay but it’s my moral responsibility to tell the truth at all times, I was taught by my fore bearers never to distort history and to always separate facts from fictions.

Moreover there is no family in our region without Igbo relatives and blood.
So the cry is a much ado about nothing.
"Man must know thyself, and to thyself be true".

#DebunkTheirLies
Igbos and chest beating

Check my signature to visit and study in Canada

Secure your future and your kids

Canada awaits you
Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Nobody: 11:24am On Dec 30, 2018
"Moreover there is no family in our region without Igbo relatives and blood"

This explains the OP's delusion.
Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Donelli: 11:48am On Dec 30, 2018
Edodefender:
Why are Igbos feeling funky? Which dominance are you talking about?

Because peaceful people from a particular region allowed you to open mini shops in their state doesn't mean you dominate anything
You just use your own hand jonse yourself. If you had comprehended the article before rushing to prove your ignorance you'll have understood that the article is discarding the notion that Igbos [tried to] dominate(d) the minority tribes. However you have also confirmed with your comment that you agree with that point yet you're disturbed about something even you can not identify undecided

4 Likes

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Donelli: 11:49am On Dec 30, 2018
Ekinematics:
"Moreover there is no family in our region without Igbo relatives and blood"

This explains the OP's delusion.
Your point being what exactly

1 Like

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Donelli: 11:52am On Dec 30, 2018
Resener12:

Igbos and chest beating

Check my signature to visit and study in Canada

Secure your future and your kids

Canada awaits you
If you've studied and/or lived in Canada and you're this silly then your business proposal is of no significance lipsrsealed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Resener12(m): 11:53am On Dec 30, 2018
Donelli:

If you've studied and/or lived in Canada and you're this silly then your business proposal is of no significance lipsrsealed
Lol that’s just a meaningless post
Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Balyz: 12:07pm On Dec 30, 2018
All this long epistle so they can justify their land grabbing agenda
Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Donelli: 12:37pm On Dec 30, 2018
Resener12:

Lol that’s just a meaningless post
Be mindful of what you post, this is a public forum
Re: Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups by Resener12(m): 12:42pm On Dec 30, 2018
Donelli:

Be mindful of what you post, this is a public forum
Are you Igbo? Because the way you dey take am over serious baffles me

(1) (Reply)

Is Atiku Also Dodging The Presidential Debates? / Drama At The Presidential Debate: Details Of What Really Happened / Wage Bill : No Separate Wage For Federal Workers – Ekweremadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.