Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,764 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? (27741 Views)

Is Grace Truly A Licence To Sin And Live Anyhow? / Does God Truly Hate Masturbation? / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by ogbu80(m): 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2018
Na so my pastor de judge me till I win 2.4million naira, come do thanks giving.......nigga go open online account on code come fund am de try en luck.....en think say I no know.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by austyne22ex(m): 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2018
Gratefulheart01:

Saying they are the same or different depends on your reason or reasons. You can't 100% say they are same thing. I can give you differences and similarities between both.
The major similarity is that they both involve predicting, while many other things we do each day in life also involve predicting.
A difference between is that one is buying and reselling currency just like buying and selling goods to make profit while the other is literally staking on probability.
You must be 100% correct in betting b4 u win, if u miss 1% percent in betting, you lose all
but in forex, you can lose all, lose part of your money, get ur trading capital back, get some profit or get all profit. You can stop as you want. Forex is just e-trade.
All the same betting or forex, I don't see anyone wrong there. It depends on your decision. As long as you're aware of the risks. Life itself is a risk.
Oga...no insults intended but u are sounding very foolish in a bid to sound intelligent...trying to give a complex explanation to a simple reasoning...
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by teamwilly(m): 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2018
07059567268...save it with Teamwilly!! [/quote]
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by moderatedguy: 1:52pm On Dec 30, 2018
Vision2045:

Wrong...I hardly loose...my highest odd is 3/4....

And my maximum bet is 5000 .

But if u wanna bet ...we can....I screengrab my bet history
Liar
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by gr8tone: 1:58pm On Dec 30, 2018
Abcruz:

The lot that was casted was not done for winning money.

Look!
For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil...-1 Timothy 6:10
Including idolatry. So do not be surprised.
Oga, you need to understand what the Bible mean by "the love of money is the root of all evil" before you relate it to every situation. Don't you like money? You can't tell that betting is idolatry. You know you're not right on that.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 30, 2018
moderatedguy:
Liar

Peace
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 30, 2018
demelza:
Because everything you touch is dead.
Everything written about you is dead. grin
That is why you recognise your fellow dead sellers. grin
How is bônå9já?
Failure grin grin grin
Bona9ja_ is now a coffin.
Its the coffin I plan on burying u and the dead meat seller.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by kamez(m): 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2018
forex and betting na the same thing.. it's virtual betting that I'm always against
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by demelza: 2:04pm On Dec 30, 2018
modestbrowser:

Bona9ja_ is now a coffin.
Its the coffin I plan on burying u and the dead meat seller.
Bury your sense.
Everything you touch is dead.
Kiss2naira dead
Boonw9ja_ dead
Adsense dead
You dead.
Failure grin grin
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2018
CallMeOO7:

Where have you been? let me be part of your 2019 winnings. Please add me to your watsapp, you're the type of gambler I need.

I will quote with u with my once a while games....remove your digit I advise...but I play with 5k upward..and I aim at steady wins not big wins
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 30, 2018
demelza:
Bury your sense.
Everything you touch is dead.
Kiss2naira dead
Boonw9ja_ dead
Adsense dead
You dead.
Failure grin grin
They didn't just work... Thank God I found something better.
I now murder idiots like u online for a living.
Trust me, the pay is mouthwatering.. grin
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by mechanics(m): 2:17pm On Dec 30, 2018
Is a sin, any money got that you don't toil for, is a sin. Proverbs 13:11 Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by demelza: 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2018
modestbrowser:

They didn't just work... Thank God I found something better.
I now murder idiots like u online for a living.
Trust me, the pay is mouthwatering.. grin
Yeah idiots like your mother and elder brother that taught you how to masturbate in primary 6.
Do you masturbate on live cam?
Failure.

Careful how you do, you might just kill your genital.
Everything you touch dies grin
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by teamwilly(m): 2:48pm On Dec 30, 2018
sureodds:
England
Crystal Palace - Chelsea FC
Double chance & Under/Over 4.5 goals - draw/Chelsea FC & under 4.5 (4.5) 1.35odds

qoute me by drooping ur number for more 2odds
pls for serious stakers
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by sundayekoja(m): 3:12pm On Dec 30, 2018
sureodds:
England
Double chance & Under/Over 4.5 goals - draw/Chelsea FC & under 4.5 (4.5) 1.35odds

pls for serious stakers
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by DUOz(m): 3:14pm On Dec 30, 2018
sureodds:
England

pls for serious stakers

09052133564 whatsapp or call. Na you be man
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by sundayekoja(m): 3:17pm On Dec 30, 2018
Vision2045:
Sport betting is a business source but highly risky ....its pure financial wisdom to invest only what you can afford to lose.

Reason why it becomes a bad venture is that most users invest so much and have high expectations, and when they lose they go extreme to find another capital to invest.

Sport betting requires strategy that fits each individual pockets...you don't have to play it every weekend or everyday..u can play it when all situation puts a team under pressure to win at all cost..

I have more to say..but I will put hand to rest.

Meanwhile ...I made close to N800,000 this year from several winnings..some times I stake on just two teams that are in a must win situations.
Pls share me ur games...08162098963
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Synthase(m): 3:21pm On Dec 30, 2018
ijaw1stson:
If you are here to be enlightened gather here

Now to the question...

The Bible does not specifically condemn gambling, betting, or the
lottery . The Bible does warn us, however, to stay away from the love of money (1 Timothy 6:10; Hebrews 13:5). Scripture also encourages us to stay away from attempts to “get rich quick” (Proverbs 13:11; 23:5; Ecclesiastes 5:10). Gambling most definitely is focused on the love of money and undeniably tempts people with the promise of quick and easy riches.

What is wrong with gambling? Gambling is a difficult issue because if it is done in moderation and only on occasion, it is a waste of money, but it is not necessarily evil.

While the Bible does not explicitly mention gambling, it does mention events of “luck” or “chance.” As an example, casting lots is used in Leviticus to choose between the sacrificial goat and the scapegoat. Joshua cast lots to determine the allotment of land to the various tribes.

Nehemiah cast lots to determine who would live inside the walls of Jerusalem. The apostles cast lots to determine the replacement for Judas. Proverbs 16:33 says, “The lot is cast in the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.”

First Timothy 6:10 tells us, “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.”

Hebrews 13:5 declares, “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’”

Matthew 6:24 proclaims, “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.”
Source: RCCG 2017/2018 Sunday school manual, Lesson 19: Gambling...

2 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by poik(m): 3:52pm On Dec 30, 2018
The truth is this.
Gambling is not just a sin. It is idol worship.
I'm not even talking about the effects, the waste of money, the mood swings, and all the ills that come with it.
Just like drinking, there is a demon attached to it that makes it addictive.
Look at Isaiah 65.
Isaiah 65:10-12 KJV
me. [11] But ye are they that forsake the Lord , that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for that troop, and that furnish the drink offering unto that number. [12] Therefore will I number you to g the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter.

The word troop there means chance or probability.
Gambling is as old as prostitution, and these things, like make-up, jewellery, and other things, are NOT things associated with the Israelites who were Gods children. Even when the Israelites engaged in it, it was not because it was approved of, but because they imported it from surrounding nations. These are things associated with worship of other Gods other than Jehovah, right from the start.
No child of God will gamble, under any guise.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by FirePower1(m): 4:44pm On Dec 30, 2018
Has anyone given a testimony of a win from sport betting in your Church? If your risk taking earns you the title of a gambler then check your heart if you are a Christian. Long time ago, while I was still in the secondary school, I won from a bet, It was something I was unable to keep to myself alone so I took it home and told my dad who at that time had pool house. My father had to wake me up in the middle of the night to appeal to me not to follow that dangerous way of life, saying that it will most likely lead to shattered life. He was managing a pool house and he told me this so I believed him and I can tell you that he was right. A friend of mine who manages a sport betting outlet also recently told me he would do everything possible to discourage his loved ones from being lured into it, he stated that through it you can easily get addicted and once that happens your life becomes financially unstable and you become very reckless, subjecting your health, family and future to unreasonable risk. Some people who see this as not so bad will soon grow up to discourage their children from it.

3 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by omoplaycool(m): 4:53pm On Dec 30, 2018
gr8tone:
Sports betting to me is placing your money on predictable outcomes. If it turns out positive, you gain but if it turns otherwise you lose. I know that the Bible warns against the love for money or material things above God. But i find it difficult to see betting as a sin. Most youths today are into sport betting but the church is silent about whether it is a sin or not. I am saying this because I am yet to see any preacher publicly condamn sport betting.

I am into betting. Any one who will condamn betting as regards Christians believe should do so with Bible references to convince me. I am not upholding my opinion above others. I only seek to know.
Well, in my own opinion, if sport betting is a sin, then Forex trading itself its a sin.. Cause they're both based on predictable outcomes.
To me, what I think is the sin is the greed that comes with it..

2 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 30, 2018
Has anyone here heard of gambling addiction?It could be as a result of this or that but I believe everyone that gambles needs help.Even the so-called moderate gamblers need help as well.Some people are financially unstable even without gambling. Ultimately, I think financial management should be taught in schools. Most people grow up without the knowledge of how to handle stuff like gambling or avoid it. Poverty is not helping matters and parents should make sure their kids have all they need to keep them focused and what they need to relieve study-stress. Adults that are gambling addicts should have certain things put in place by the government to help them.

1 Like

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Dec 30, 2018
some Nigerians can quote every chapter of the bible but they are still the laziest and worst set of people in the world.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Greatzeus(m): 5:35pm On Dec 30, 2018
sexiestharam:
Whether it is a sin or not, Sports betting is killing Nigerians slowly but they are yet to realise it. I know a man who has become a sport betting addict. He is a liability even to himself. Borrows for betting and loses. He has no properties, no salary even though he is paid a comfortable salary. Everything goes to bets and debts!
Thank you,i like your comment,just like too much sugar is not a sin but it's harmful to your body. Those who have ears let them hear
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Cutezt(m): 6:02pm On Dec 30, 2018
sureodds:
drop ur WhatsApp number
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by CAPTAIN44: 6:12pm On Dec 30, 2018
It is a sin because no matter how much you get in return, it is at the detriment of another person and you can specifically predict how much you will get.

In business, you cannot get a specific gain and whatever you get, the other party have gotten your goods or services in return.

Let's call a spade a spade.

May Almighty Allah lead us to the right path.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by rasxx(m): 6:49pm On Dec 30, 2018
What's the difference between buying shares from stock market and betting? You buy from company A anticipate Price increase so you make profit same with betting. For me,moderation is everything

1 Like

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by AndLeo(m): 7:21pm On Dec 30, 2018
Vision2045:
Sport betting is a business source but highly risky ....its pure financial wisdom to invest only what you can afford to lose.

Reason why it becomes a bad venture is that most users invest so much and have high expectations, and when they lose they go extreme to find another capital to invest.

Sport betting requires strategy that fits each individual pockets...you don't have to play it every weekend or everyday..u can play it when all situation puts a team under pressure to win at all cost..

I have more to say..but I will put hand to rest.

Meanwhile ...*edited*

Give me strategy and odds
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Acehart: 7:48pm On Dec 30, 2018
xtivin2:
Betting equals casting lot. Definitely not a sin because even the disciples casted lots to replace Judas. However modern day gambling is financial suicide, not for kings.

I am sorry but I think there are contradictions in your comment: you said betting is not a sin but modern day gambling is financial suicide - a sin? When the Bible says, "(the) word of God is yea and Amen, it means the word of God doesn't sit on the fence; it picks a side concerning everything and is unmoved. From your comment, you sound like a Christian but your contradiction is antithetical to the scriptures "yea and Amen" position concerning all things.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by brainhgeek(m): 7:51pm On Dec 30, 2018
crunchyg:

Whether we want to believe it or not, not everyone that plays bet is addicted at least i know a few that plays with discretion, they are not addicts. So that supports my initial post, you can go back and read it again.

I wont disagree with you. Not all are addicts but if you read my post, I said 90% which leaves the remaining 10% to the chance of not getting addicted.
The addiction starts when you want to win again after an initial win. The 'if I did it before, I can do it again' or 'i want to recover what I lost ......and probably pull out if I do' mentality.
You know that is true.....yes you do

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ogoja Catholic Diocese Welcomes Their New Bishop (Photo) / One Question You Must Ask Yourself Before You Eat The Forbidden Fruit / The 5 Types Of Dancers You Will See In Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.