Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Please Help!!! My Nissan Maxima Gear Is Not Working Properly - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help!!! My Nissan Maxima Gear Is Not Working Properly (1232 Views)

My Dad's Nissan Maxima 99 Is Just Trouble / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help!!! My Nissan Maxima Gear Is Not Working Properly by forzaDiya(m): 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2018
Goodevening everyone.

Please guys, I really need your help. Its very urgent.

There is this Nissan maxima 2001 model my brother gave to me. He has parked it down for almost 2 years.

So, last week...I decided to repair the car because I want to use it next year. We had to tow it to the mechanic workshop. We started working on it. Changed the brain box, the fuel pump, bought new battery, new tyres etc.

After everything, it came back to life. Nice sound. Everything seems to be alright. Then the re-wire drove it around, though, I was with him. We discovered that the gear (automatic transmission) wasn't selecting.

It works on reverse (R) , on drive (D) and on Park (P). But the gear isn't selecting (like change from 1-2).

The re-wire said we need to change the gear oil. We flushed the gear oil that was there and bought a new gear oil. We bought 8L of Holts gear oil. The gear consumed everything before it could guaged.

After changing the gear oil, we then tested the car. It was still the same problem. The gear wasn't selecting. Sometimes, it will act like it wants to select, but nope.

Please guys, what do think I should do? Please!

Thanks.
Re: Please Help!!! My Nissan Maxima Gear Is Not Working Properly by EkoErrands: 9:59pm On Dec 30, 2018
forzaDiya:
Goodevening everyone.

Please guys, I really need your help. Its very urgent.

There is this Nissan maxima 2001 model my brother gave to me. He has parked it down for almost 2 years.

So, last week...I decided to repair the car because I want to use it next year. We had to tow it to the mechanic workshop. We started working on it. Changed the brain box, the fuel pump, bought new battery, new tyres etc.

After everything, it came back to life. Nice sound. Everything seems to be alright. Then the re-wire drove it around, though, I was with him. We discovered that the gear (automatic transmission) wasn't selecting.

It works on reverse (R) , on drive (D) and on Park (P). But the gear isn't selecting (like change from 1-2).

The re-wire said we need to change the gear oil. We flushed the gear oil that was there and bought a new gear oil. We bought 8L of Holts gear oil. The gear consumed everything before it could guaged.

After changing the gear oil, we then tested the car. It was still the same problem. The gear wasn't selecting. Sometimes, it will act like it wants to select, but nope.

Please guys, what do think I should do? Please!

Thanks.

You probably have the wrong brain box installed. Or the gear selector switch cable is not plugged in...check well.

1 Like

Re: Please Help!!! My Nissan Maxima Gear Is Not Working Properly by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 30, 2018
1. Use Nissan Matic D ATF or a good Dexron III alternative (not Holts)
2. Check the control cable for proper adjustment
3. Run a scan on the TCM
4. The Rev Sensor is a likely culprit, or maybe the valve body with clogged shift solenoids
5. Feedback

1 Like

Re: Please Help!!! My Nissan Maxima Gear Is Not Working Properly by forzaDiya(m): 11:35am On Dec 31, 2018
Okay. Thanks so much. I will definitely do all these and get back to you.

Costee:
3. Run a scan on the TCM
4. The Rev Sensor is a likely culprit, or maybe the valve body with clogged shift solenoids
5. Feedback
Re: Please Help!!! My Nissan Maxima Gear Is Not Working Properly by forzaDiya(m): 11:36am On Dec 31, 2018
Okay. Thanks so much. I will check it.
EkoErrands:

You probably have the wrong brain box installed. Or the gear selector switch cable is not plugged in...check well.
Re: Please Help!!! My Nissan Maxima Gear Is Not Working Properly by forzaDiya(m): 11:38pm On Jan 03, 2019
Update!!!

I took it to the mechanic today and after the guy did some servicing on it, the gear was selecting. But, takes longer to select and only gets to gear 1 and 2,...not reaching 3.

The mechanic said he will work on it tomorrow.

Costee:
3. Run a scan on the TCM
5. Feedback

(1) (Reply)

Let's Analyze This Accident Scene / NA / How Much Do Driver's Charge To Deliver Cars From Lagos To Enugu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.