Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2195499 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nadina: 8:30pm On Apr 01, 2019
dasizzling:
thanks for the info Nadina. please is this a yearly fee or monthly?

Hello Dasizzling,

The amounted I quoted are monthly fees.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jelmusboy(m): 10:04pm On Apr 01, 2019
I'm asking question about visit visa and not the super visa. Does my mother-in-law need to show evidence of income or can I write a letter to show that I will be responsible for her expenses?

I'm just worried about the finance part

philip3:

We just sent an invite letter jointly that is my wife and I both signed and got it notorized.
The daughter in nigeria sponsored her so she showed her own bank details.

I think to sponsor you should have filed taxes,not sure but you may want to find out from the cic website cos there is a checklist of documents needed based on your own situation.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 10:10pm On Apr 01, 2019
nadina:

Hello Dasizzling,

The amounted I quoted are monthly fees.

What's the name of the day home please, and the address
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by diamondextra: 10:34pm On Apr 01, 2019
[quote author=nadina post=77127115]

hi nadina, what was the interview process like at the CRTP programme
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 11:16pm On Apr 01, 2019
jelmusboy:
I'm asking question about visit visa and not the super visa. Does my mother-in-law need to show evidence of income or can I write a letter to show that I will be responsible for her expenses?

I'm just worried about the finance part

It depends on your own financial status. I processed Visit visa for both my mum and mother-in-law within a month and they were both approved within two weeks of completion of biometrics. for my mum's application she submitted her own bank statements while for my mother-in-law we submitted our own bank statements from Canada, employment letter and payslips. PS the latter will depend on your current financial employment status.

10 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Doctorfitz: 11:18pm On Apr 01, 2019
olajide21:
Who Nigeria offend?

Lols.I tire o.
Nice pics
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:17am On Apr 02, 2019
captainhoo:

Congratulations!!

Can you share the name/picture of the scale you got from jumia please,
Did you change your naira to CAD at MMA or BDC?

Thank you!

Changed naira to CAD with BDC from naija

14 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:19am On Apr 02, 2019
[quote author=Licious07 post=77172814][/quote]

Thank you.

Honestly almost started asking myself who send me

I'm glad it all turned out well
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:20am On Apr 02, 2019
Ifeoma77:
Wow @Randomsue, that was a hell of a journey!!
Welcome home kiss

Thank you dear, one for the books!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:22am On Apr 02, 2019
fizzile:
Please can you share the info. Thanks alot

I meant that someone had shared this info that you pay 2k per bag containing agricultural products.

It's a fairly new development and they give you a receipt and all...aka, there's no escaping it I guess

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:30am On Apr 02, 2019
Aerial view of the snow peaked mountains in BC

(Pls pardon the pic quality)

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:33am On Apr 02, 2019
While playing around the Vancouver airport

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:33am On Apr 02, 2019
This one made me smile

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 12:37am On Apr 02, 2019
hayor2014:
People coming to Calgary.....

1) DO NOT book an AIRBNB in the NW ....it's the end of the world... In my opinion

2) Ensure to write your address in your pocket, should your phone die, that paper can save your life, especially during winter/cold.

3) Before leaving home during winter, charge your phone properly, the cold drains battery.

3) Uber fees are crazy here, please learn and perfect the use of Google map from Naija.... You will need the CALGARY TRANSIT APP.....

4) DON use the Calgary Transit app with small kids when you never Sabi use am oooo, if you lost, do it on your own, don't torture the little kids..nah you come Sabi

5) A Nigerian needs to come open a barbershop in this Calgary... Around downtown oooo.... Don't carry us to the bush....

I remembered when I mentioned barbing... People came for my head...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lhimeet(m): 12:45am On Apr 02, 2019
joo2018:

Canadian Slang Vs Nigerian Slang | Couple Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyufCT164bw&index=197&list=WL&t=0s
Had a good laugh grin grin

Thanks!
smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fusion23: 1:22am On Apr 02, 2019
WoodcrestMayor:
I full ground my chairman. That smoking thing ehn...I still dey find way to avoid passive smoking. I bin no get money for Snoop ticket jare grin
Na to open akant dey save $20-30 per paycheck to fund these shows o! cheesy

Wizzy is this friday sha cool

loool that snoop Dogg I bought the ticket since December sef so it was cheap ..but not the best of seat ..but still made sense..
not likely going for Wizzy.... I have an appointment that evening...but that one too starts from 70$ gate fee....

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 2:05am On Apr 02, 2019
Omo, forget the seat o! Be ready to pay top dollar if you want vantage view. Early bird ticket na the way for affordable ticket...you sabi the thing cool.

No worry, I go rock for two people for wizzy own tongue I don secure 4pm closing from work that day cool
Fusion23:

loool that snoop Dogg I bought the ticket since December sef so it was cheap ..but not the best of seat ..but still made sense..
not likely going for Wizzy.... I have an appointment that evening...but that one too starts from 70$ gate fee....

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nadina: 2:46am On Apr 02, 2019
embarassed[quote author=diamondextra post=77184313][/quote]
Interview was pretty standard. Questions on why you're interested in enrolling in the program, your job search, the career you intend pursing in Canada(I guess this particular question is to ensure they will be able to provide placement/internship for you as some professions such as medicine, teaching are regulated and will not benefit from the program).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 4:28am On Apr 02, 2019
Hello everyone...it's your favourite "Hornline" banker *flaps flippers* cheesy

Just a quick tip for the everyone here...some don't qualify yet but with time, most will.

My tip today is about premium credit cards. When you start paying $120 and above in annual fees for credit cards, know full well that you have a premium credit card in your hands and it's a bargain amount in card fees when you consider everything it covers. A lot of people don't read the certificate of insurance that comes with the cards and I really don't blame them. It is 40 freaking pages for the most part and it's not fun to read.
Here are some tips;(I will speak for RBC cards but it should be similar across the industry)
1.) Baggage loss, flight interruptions/cancelation are covered.
2.) Health insurance is covered for 15 days if you're less than 65 yrs.(find out if your destination is covered before departure and if you'll be away for longer, you'll need to purchase additional insurance)
3.)Car rental insurance is covered.
4.)Extended warranty on goods and 90days theft/damage protection( ALL RBC credit cards have this)
5.) Up to $2,500 loss protection if someone breaks into your hotel room and makes away with your stuff.

I no fit summarize the thing but the kókó is that y'all should maximize the benefits since y'all pay that much yearly for your cards. Insurance is complex and y'all know what I'm talking about. For example, for you to even have a chance claiming ANY of the above, your purchases ( air tickets, hotel accommodation, etc)MUST be put on the credit card. To claim theft in hotel room, it MUST be the hotel you paid for with your credit card and checked into. *Sigh*
If you go bash rented Lotus, Benz, Ferrari or some other luxury brand, insurance go just dey look you grin

Take your time to study the certificate before your trips so you don't enter one chance.

Journey mercies to our brothers and sisters coming in and speedy positive response from Accra for the expectant ones...*inserts angel smiley*

Enjoy the summer because another winter is just around the corner. Me I started counting summer since March...+2 months for me cool

See y'all later *peace sign*

66 Likes 38 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by diamondextra: 5:06am On Apr 02, 2019
[quote author=nadina post=77187104] embarassed
Thank you nadina
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 6:04am On Apr 02, 2019
WoodcrestMayor:
Hello everyone...it's your favourite "Hornline" banker *flaps flippers* cheesy

See y'all later *peace sign*

Why pay $120 dollars when i can simply call the bank's customer care and have a card that does not have any charges sent to me and my $120 dollars will be immediately reversed.
I saw the charge barely 4 days ago and i immediately called CIBC, ow can JJC like me that is job searching be paying 120 dollars.
That money will buy me 3 pairs of sneakers during sales/clearance season.

All these listed advantages are useless to me

25 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by raphrulz: 7:53am On Apr 02, 2019
I thought to share this from a post in the part 1 thread. I wouldn't know if its referenced in page 1. But if it's not, i think it could be helpful.

CC: Joo2018

amindondee:
Good day people,

Just to give an update which may be beneficial to anyone on passport expiry less than 6 months before travelling.

So my application was approved and i got all our passports and COPRs in January 2018. My passport was due to expire in May 2018. My spouse however, insisted i renew my passport before we travel because we did not know if we would be allowed to travel with less than six moths validity on my passport. I called Lufthansa and they do not seem to have a fulfilling response as they do not understand what an immigrant visa was and that it is better to have a validity above 6 months so as to avoid any hassles. I renewed my passport and wrote an email to Ottawa, Accra and LVO to inform them i would be renewing my visa. My thinking was that the visa would still be valid as with other visas i have experienced. The next day our CIC/Express Entry profile changed from Approved to "We are awaiting a decision....." and all the counterfoil information removed.

To my great surprise i received an email from LVO that all previously issued COPRs were cancelled and invalid, and we should send all documents (including all family members) back to Accra and wait for further instructions. We were all worried. We sent all the documents through DHL back to Accra and waited for further instructions. 2 days after i received the email requesting for us to pay $120CAD through the online platform for visa re-issue which i did immediately. Then the sudden silence from LVO starts; and we have 5 more weeks until our validity expires, no update on our account profile and no information from them for about 3 weeks and until today that our application on the profile now shows approved. New counterfoil issued and the old ones shown as invalid.

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaggle: 8:00am On Apr 02, 2019
Randomsue:

I meant that someone had shared this info that you pay 2k per bag containing agricultural products.

It's a fairly new development and they give you a receipt and all...aka, there's no escaping it I guess

Please where was this 2k collected? I travelled via Lagos airport on 29th of March and I didn't pay kobo to nobody. My bags were not even checked and I had enough agric produce including palm oil self.

U were lucky to be put on the flight to Vancouver. U can't believe we are still in a hotel in Toronto waiting to be put on a flight to Calgary on 2nd of April since 30th March... Ethiopian airline sef

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by captainhoo: 8:22am On Apr 02, 2019
Randomsue:

Thank you!

Changed naira to CAD with BDC from naija

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaggle: 8:28am On Apr 02, 2019
raphrulz:
I thought to share this from a post in the part 1 thread. I wouldn't know if its referenced in page 1. But if it's not, i think it could be helpful.

CC: Joo2018

My passport and hubby's passport had less than six months validity (cos we got our visas since last year). We went ahead & renewed our passports and we travelled with both old and new passport on the 29th of March and nothing happened, no questions were asked both at Lagos and Toronto airport, we did our landing formalities as per usual. We did not contact CIC or AVO prior to our trip cos our tickets were purchased already, travelling date was close and I didn't need any extra AVO drama. I just munched a piece of info I saw on CIC website which states that it's ok to do so just incase. But no immigration was bordered with that. Abeg....

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bolodre(m): 8:32am On Apr 02, 2019
Why this And who bears the cost of the hotel, feeding too/?
gaggle:

Please where was this 2k collected? I travelled via Lagos airport on 29th of March and I didn't pay kobo to nobody. My bags were not even checked and I had enough agric produce including palm oil self.

U were lucky to be put on the flight to Vancouver. U can't believe we are still in a hotel in Toronto waiting to be put on a flight to Calgary on 2nd of April since 30th March... Ethiopian airline sef

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaggle: 9:05am On Apr 02, 2019
bolodre:
Why this And who bears the cost of the hotel, feeding too/?

Ethiopian airline bears all cost. But we also had to buy some basics as all our bags were checked in already.

According to them most Air Canada aircrafts were grounded so all flights are fully booked so if for any reason you miss your original flight, it maybe difficult to get booked on the next.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 9:20am On Apr 02, 2019
Hmm. Another option on traveling with an almost expired passport - replacing your passport and changing your visa. It is a much more tedious option though.

It is not currently eferenced on page 1.
raphrulz:

CC: Joo.2018

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jhoci: 10:55am On Apr 02, 2019
Wow! What a journey! Thank God you are finally home. I think we were on the same flight up until Toronto. I was able to do my SIN at the airport, single traveler though. My flight to Calgary was just being announced ad I got to my boarding gate.

Randomsue:
Landing gist...LONG POST ALERT

We had the most terrifyingly long trip I've ever read about but I'm glad for journey mercies...family of 4 (with a toddler and a 5yo) via Ethiopian air

We left on Thursday, March 28 and MMA guys were a breeze, we were asked to tip at the entrance and also pay for 2k for each bag with agricultural products, but no biggie, thanks to info from here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jumdah20: 11:40am On Apr 02, 2019
I was at this crossroads a few days ago. Ppr came and I had just exactly 6 months validity on passport. I was so confused, I asked around. The best advice I got was to quickly renew passport before submitting for copr and submit both old and new to vfs and that was what I did.

joo2018:
Hmm. Another option on traveling with an almost expired passport - replacing your passport and changing your visa.

It is not currently eferenced on page 1.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:34pm On Apr 02, 2019
gaggle:

Oh my!

This must be really hard on you, so sorry to learn this.

The 2k people call themselves agricultural quarantine something something ( NAQs)

They must've skipped you somehow..nice!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:40pm On Apr 02, 2019
jhoci:
Wow! What a journey! Thank God you are finally home. I think we were on the same flight up until Toronto. I was able to do my SIN at the airport, single traveler though. My flight to Calgary was just being announced ad I got to my boarding gate.

Thank you!

Perhaps we were on the same flight indeed, I noticed there were a number of Africans on board.

Welcome home too

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.