Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,685 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189394 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 10, 2019
grin grin grin grin I see alot of back and forth about wether its worth it to immigrate or not. The only people debating this are people still in Nigeria "doing well" (Either by hook or by crook). Nigeria a place where they call you stupid if you are honest and call you smart if you are a fraudster. grin grin grin I have never met a Nigerian who travelled here as a PR saying they want to go back to there Nigeria life regardless of how much money they were making.

So if you have only lived your life in Nigeria stop comparing that country with Canada based on what you are reading on paper , you are simply not qualified to make that judgement.

Personally coming to Canada has proven to be a great decision for me and I am grateful to almighty for giving me this grace.

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mepconsultant: 9:52pm On Apr 10, 2019
einsteino:

If I were a Jim Ovia or married to an Alakija, I would live my whole life in 9ja. but knowing who I am, PR is the best thing that has happened to me in recent times. I hope this helps you in making a decision that reflects on your background.

Wow! I can't keep quiet further.
Einsteino, Salford et. al., you guys are just too good, just too nice, just too awesome, just too great, just too knowledgeable, just too kind, just to blessed, just too EVERYTHING. I'm always impressed wt ur posts. God bless you both and every other contributors here.

I have really learnt a lot here. I got my PPR last year and I have been doing a lot of studies but what I have learnt here in d last couple of days is so vital to my life. My eyes are better opened. Now I'm more flexible. All will b well.

Seniors, I'm landing mid May, I need help abeg. Will be landing in Toronto, and plan to have a short air bnb stay for two week in Mississauga. That will influence my next move.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer wt almost 4 years experience in Building Services (HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Fighting Services etc) I seek for opportunities anywhere in Canada especially an INTERNSHIP POSITION.

Kindly help your boy. I'm very flexible, even if it's relevant Survival jobs.

Pls NB @Salford, @Einsteino, @all. God bless you family.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by BusinessHub1: 9:55pm On Apr 10, 2019
Guitarlife:
grin grin grin grin I see alot of back and forth about wether its worth it to immigrate or not. The only people debating this are people still in Nigeria "doing well" (Either by hook or by crook). Nigeria a place where they call you stupid if you are honest and call you smart if you are a fraudster. grin grin grin I have never met a Nigerian who travelled here as a PR saying they want to go back to there Nigeria life regardless of how much money they were making.

So if you have only lived your life in Nigeria stop comparing that country with Canada based on what you are reading on paper , you are simply not qualified to make that judgement.

Personally coming to Canada has proven to be a great decision for me and I am grateful to almighty for giving me this grace.
Reasonable comment tonight!

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 10, 2019
einsteino:

I once saw something about logistics stuff, I don't remember who posted it. Soon as I do, I would ask the person if he can fill in you on what you need to know about the industry. As for survival jobs, just check out the options and pick.

That's very thoughtful of you bro. Thanks a lot brother will be waiting
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 10:03pm On Apr 10, 2019
Folafikemi:

Oh thanks. My province is Saskatchewan. Do u have any information from that province?
if you are going to sask, there is the Regina Police Service, Saskatoon Police Service, Prince Alberta Police service Moose Jaw Police Service, Estevan Police Service, Weyburn Police service. I believe other parts of the province are served by the RCMP.

City police depts usually pay much better than RCMP too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Debayurr: 10:07pm On Apr 10, 2019
edababa007:
Condos for rent. Skyview, NE Calgary
pls details of the apartment and price
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by temmytee1(f): 10:17pm On Apr 10, 2019
Most of your points are valid.
However, i am one of those you've not met @the bolded.
Time will tell though
Guitarlife:
grin grin grin grin I see alot of back and forth about wether its worth it to immigrate or not. The only people debating this are people still in Nigeria "doing well" (Either by hook or by crook). Nigeria a place where they call you stupid if you are honest and call you smart if you are a fraudster[b]. I have never met a Nigerian who travelled here as a PR saying they want to go back to there Nigeria life regardless of how much money they were making[/b].

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 10, 2019
salford:

if you are going to sask, there is the Regina Police Service, Saskatoon Police Service, Prince Alberta Police service Moose Jaw Police Service, Estevan Police Service, Weyburn Police service. I believe other parts of the province are served by the RCMP.

City police depts usually pay much better than RCMP too.

Oh brother am so blessed with people like you on this forum not minding my already pre-occupied mind and questions too. U know what? All this answers u give out here really is helping me shape my plans and thoughts. God bless u brother @Salford

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 10:41pm On Apr 10, 2019
abnot:

Spot on bro you are one of the few real Nigerians out there . Most Nigerians create the impression of Canada being a perfect society with no challenges . Was once in a similar scenario while on OPT training in us . I knew I had a much stronger network in Nigeria and also knew about the challenges in Nigeria but didn’t feel too comfortable with the system and decided to move to naij . Landed two good offers after national service, move a level up after first year and a second level after another year , got an apartment in an upper middle class neighbourhood, shipped in a saloon and have been pretty much able to live comfortably . However the Canada gospel is being preached in many places these days and sometimes ask myself if I’m seeing things wrongly as I don’t think it will be far different from other first world countries ( Scotland /USA / Switzerland /France ...) that’s I’ve spent time in. Many also say it a sacrifice for their children however I recall our parents and their peers living/working in Africa and sending us to college in the west without having to move their lives as well. I also know of some Nigerians with dual citizenship (birth right citizenship) who have access to live and work in both worlds . Has Canada met your expectations so far ? I haven’t been there yet the closest I’ve been to is buffalo

Has Canada met your expectations so far ? I haven’t been there yet the closest I’ve been to is buffalo

Sorry for my late reply. I am taking the mentions one at a time.

I came to Canada with very low expectations, I already knew about the rigors of first world country life and what people go through to settle in. I have relatives and friends who are in the U.S, Ireland, Australia, U.K and Canada, so I had an idea but experience was still the best teacher grin. Canada has met my expectation though, it's not an easy life but I like it. I don't know if I can say I had a modest/good job in naija because the sort of high level jobs some folks here had in Naija dey make me shut up. Anyways my job was decent enough that I was airborne almost every week, I would fly to a project site in say Abuja in the morning and be back at lagos in the evening, all at company's expense, though the salary was modest. Even when I resigned, my boss asked what he could do to get me to stay. for my age and the background I was born into, that was a very good life, so it wasn't like I had nothing going on for me. but mehn I was tired of naija and the society where what we call doing well was more because majority lived in misery and earned meagre wages, and without a strong network one can go from 100 - 0 in a second. So my expectations in Canada were not that of a rosey life but some sanity and being in an organised society.

The kind of life you are living in Nigeria is not accessible to the majority of the population no matter how hard working or intelligent they maybe, inshort what we often call doing well in Nigeria is just a function of living in a society that favours elitism and where the have nots are in the majority. We can't even say having a brand new 2015 car in the first world is a sign of doing well unless you paid in full for it, but in Nigeria I attended several parties to wash used cars that the owners were new to, because in Nigeria the majority are deprived of a fair shot at life, so it is a big achievement to most. So fact is that we can't compare Canada to Nigeria in general, because that would mean thinking about what each country is like for the majority and not an individual. Since you are the one thinking of immigrating, you would miss the mark if you don't look at it on an individual basis and what ticks you. So for you who have your life established and can afford to ship a car to naija, lives in a fancy neighbourhood in naija(though may just be regular here), and believes you should be able to pay overseas fees like your parents, and your kids can leverage on the same network that got you 2 good jobs, is Canada better? The answer would be your answer because the question is yours. but for the majority, the answer would be Yes.

Really everyone should do some introspection. The problem is that we are too competitive a people, so we always worry about being left out. If I prefer to live in Nigeria or Australia tomorrow, it wouldn't matter to me if everyone else thinks it is a cesspit, so long as it aligns with what I want and my goals.

93 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mbhs139(m): 10:41pm On Apr 10, 2019
amdman:

PM me to join the whatsapp group for Nigerians in GTA

Hello, please add me to the GTA group. I'll send you a mail. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by youngRx(m): 10:45pm On Apr 10, 2019
einsteino:

The I have also noticed that on the week I work fewer hours that's when I spend several folds more on miscellaneous items. So keeping busy with crazy working hours not only brings in more money, it also helps you cut down on expenses.

waow!...this ur analysis is a real lifesaver.

respect man...my two hands are in the air for you.

on another note, maybe it's the naive me speaking, but about $1600 a month on expenses ain't that bad fa...considering all the complaints about paying bills and living expenses.

thank you once again

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Boss13: 11:36pm On Apr 10, 2019
Who are the people comparing Heaven with hell. The things you pray for in Nigeria has been answered in Canada

- 24 hours constant power supply
- Clean treated water
- Working transport system
- Good Security
- Good infrastructures
- Ability to travel to over 60 countries without embassy issues
- Good health care system. I have visited the hospital thrice and I did not drop a cent for services that would have costed me millions of naira.
- Quality goods and services from reliable brands and not fake ones
- Multiple recreation and leisure centers to visit
- Reliable community centers to assist you with your needs
- Quality Education and accessibility to quality teaching
- Fast reliable internet
- Diverse culture to grow your network

These are a few things people pray for in Nigeria. However, when you get to Canada, these prayer requests are already answered. Is Canada not heaven on earth?

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Boss13: 11:50pm On Apr 10, 2019
Bibididi:

The bolded cracked me up grin

Also there is something we do very well in Canada, someone can easily make it seem like he has found his sweet spot here by simply working in a big name firm but if you look closely you would learn that he is still several rungs below where he left off, or its just a mundane role at a big firm(e.g I worked at almighty Amazon but as a forklift driver, this is very different from working as an I.T personnel at Amazon), for some people this is perfectly fine but there are people(career oriented) who this depresses. I currently work in an engineering firm as a Project coordinator, anyone who visits my linkedin would see this and use my story as an example of someone who was a Project Engineer in Nigeria and was able to land a Project coordinator role in Canada without much sweat but he would miss the bull's eye if he doesnt get a hold of me to learn more than what he can infer from my linkedin. Majority of the stories of folks in Canada have layers that hardly ever helps people make an objective assessment and keep their expectations in check, so they can strategise and find success sooner... I say this because people sometimes get so depressed that they end up permanently settling for survival jobs and giving up on their dreams because they never expected the journey to be tough. If they had a balanced narrative they would have landed prepared and had a plan to scale through the hurdles if it appeared on their path.

I still have a few more parts to write on, that would help with tips on chasing the dream job but having to work 14hr per day spares me little time. Believe it or not, I like it here in Canada but that`s largely because I knew what challenges I may face and felt I was up to the task (Anyhow[b] e be, Ogoro must jump).[/b]

14 hours per day? Are you doing 2 jobs?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MummyJaygirls: 11:57pm On Apr 10, 2019
joo2018:
Hmm.

Confirm here and here.

I actually wrote easier not easy. Easier compared with RCMP. For both Ontario Provincial Police and Toronto Police Service, there are no residency requirements.

Ok

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Boss13: 12:04am On Apr 11, 2019
joo2018:
Boss, I find the bolded intriguing considering the number of years you must have spent in Canada. It appears there might be truth in the saying that the province you land defines you.

Not even close. Peckham is a terrible place. Brampton is still very organized. The ills you are hearing is because it is largely populated by a certain group of people.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Majesticniyi(m): 1:21am On Apr 11, 2019
While it's interesting to follow the narrative and counter arguments when discussions like the futility of travelling abroad comes up, I still dont understand why the talk drags on. If you think Nigeria is great for you, stay there....if you think your choice is to stay here in Canada, the choice is all yours. Why begrudge us our decision to travel to somewhere we think works for us. Majority of those who Canada open their doors to arent stupid, they have worked hard to get to enviable professional heights in their career and the same analytical brains that took them there was used to decide to move to Canada....they arent stupid!

The upside to discussions like this is that I get to read beautiful pieces from intelligent minds like Salford and Einsteino

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bracha: 1:39am On Apr 11, 2019
Hahahhaaha... Thanks for the heads-up.

einsteino:

grin grin grin and broke if I may add.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by edababa007(m): 3:18am On Apr 11, 2019
Debayurr:
pls details of the apartment and price

Check the website in the picture.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by soulhighman(m): 4:12am On Apr 11, 2019
wasseynewest:
I have always been afraid to come and view the elders forum here for fear of developing HYPERTENSION grin. But i feel as PPR don finally land, i can begin to summon the courage.

I greet you all the greatest seniors in the building o. I am always loyal and ready to learn. Will appreciate any major clue in anticipation of my family Canny landing(HARD) as we intend to make it a quick one immediately after COPR.

Once again, I salute every Sir's/Ma's.

Wow. Congratulations sir. Glad to hear about your ppr news. Your application must have gone through a speedy processing.

Its been a while I visited the other thread. I am definitely heading there to read your ppr story.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newmum0615: 4:25am On Apr 11, 2019
Lol. I can relate bro. After my husband spent $40 just to have a haircut and beard shaping, I got a clipper and I have been doing it for both him and our son. I don turn beard carver and shaper sef. Canada is a DIY country in a lot of ways. If not, expenses go show you pepper.
einsteino:

No too look my expenses o, rent can be cheaper by 40% in other cities. Yeah by family of 1, I mean just me. As for the hair, I didn't start out hoping to look good, just neat. hair cut is $20 and I usually have to cut my hair every week, so I figured if I buy a clipper it would pay itself in a few weeks and I would be saving $80 per month after that. Another thing is that it was quite an inconvenience having to find time to go to the barber. Right now whenever I feel like having a haircut, I get it without worrying about open hours or wait lines. How do I do it? I have a wall mirror and a hand mirror, with both I am able to see all sides of my head. As you may have guessed, I don't bother to do anything fancy, just good old lowcut. Its my beard that I am able to do more on since I have full visibility of my face. Do I look good in it? hehe no be Gorimapa 2face carry? Would a barber do much better? Sure! and even sef I made the decision in the winter wey all man dey use cap and hoodie take cover their head sef.

Mehn it would be great if you know how to cut hair professionally, I do see "Barber wanted" signs at some Barber shops.

35 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hammed71(m): 4:29am On Apr 11, 2019
gained a lot from this thread even though na us dey my mind, einsteino your dey correct baje

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mizwisdom(f): 5:35am On Apr 11, 2019
einsteino, if only more of us can be like you...

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tempest01(m): 6:07am On Apr 11, 2019
Guitarlife:

I want to go back. After getting my papers.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hadampson(m): 7:14am On Apr 11, 2019
tempest01:

I want to go back. After getting my papers.

I personally wish you goodluck

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by captainhoo: 7:44am On Apr 11, 2019
amdman:

So you actually think it is normal to live on income from runs and other corrupt means (as that's what the bolded suggests)? This is one of the things that living in a place like Nigeria turns you into. Just so you know, your high tolerance for corruption and cutting corners is not normal and even the couple knows. Allow them to move to where they can live normal lives of living via honest labour.

You misunderstood what the op wrote . S/He was saying that people like those couple may find it hard to cope in the career sector in canada, where they have to work for every single dime they earn unlike naija where they have access to easy money. When reality doesn't meet expectations, it brings discomfort to mental health.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by captainhoo: 7:49am On Apr 11, 2019
omidan21:
Einstieno.u ve just said it all. Especially this part you said " On the other hand, some people by virtue of their psychological wiring wouldn't find fulfillment and happiness without their career". In all honesty.this journey isn't for everyone.but every Nigerian is just rushing into it. Pls forgive I wish everyone planning towards EE a positive outcome. But what am saying take for instance I ve a friend that gave birth to all her kids in US they ve US paali already. They are doing very well here .living in a Behind posh estate. And I ask her why she stressing canada entry .she said for the future of her kids and am like.but ur kids are US citizen already naah. Herself and husband works in a Government parasatal they ve never spent out of their salary [we all know as it they go so I won't elaborate much on that ]. And less stressfull work .I vexed at her cause really there are people out there that Need this slots more. So I wonder how herself and her husband wont get depressed when they get there and are faced with taking little jobs for a while , jobs that no matter how little they wld work their butt for every hour paid and no extra money from runz unlike the parasatal they worked for here in Nigeria . Even if they get good jobs. People that ain't use to spending from salary. For almost 10 yrs of their lives .aw they want take do their lives in canada then. She vexed at me that I didn't want the best for her and I was like toohh no vex ohhh.

They may want to afford their children the luxury of choosing which passport to use ( US or Canada ) In the future since they have the funds to make it happen. Besides, they can afford to remain in naija for their "booming " job while the children remain in canada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by captainhoo: 8:00am On Apr 11, 2019
einsteino:

lol whose fault is it? Our people no dey like hear those kind part na. Do you know how many times my friends for naija dey follow me argue say Canada dey easier than I dey talk? at a time, na only my guys wey dey other first world countries I dey gree gist about life with, cos only them dey fit relate and fit contribute.

True! However, despite our society making it appear that no one wants to hear the struggle part, there are still few who would want to know those defining steps so they can plan out the realities for themselves.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pharmbb(f): 8:28am On Apr 11, 2019
THANK YOU

einsteino:

I am sorry if I painted such a pessimistic view of Canada, but TBH it may not be a walk in the park, esp in your first year, it can be a bittersweet experience. Maybe I should tell a story .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 8:45am On Apr 11, 2019
Happy new year!!! grin

Happy new Months...Jan, Feb, March, April.. grin

Maziude reporting back for duty... grin

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 9:05am On Apr 11, 2019
maziude:
Happy new year!!! grin
Happy new Months...Jan, Feb, March, April.. grin
Maziude reporting back for duty... grin
Choi! Where you comot from?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Issyman(m): 10:39am On Apr 11, 2019
Beak time, see tweet screenshot below for responses from our seniors in the house.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Foodwellsaid(f): 10:43am On Apr 11, 2019
I am actually enjoying this thread, i recently got admitted into cyui in canada, soo far i am enjoying the Canadian breakfast menu https://www.foodwellsaid.com/best-canadian-breakfast-menu-2019/ i saw on through nairaland, this is helpfull

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.