Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (713) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2199485 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (710) (711) (712) (713) (714) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 1:02am On Apr 29
kad199:
Good day bro, just arrived in Canada, can u give me tips on getting a Job quickly I don't want too share the same story as those that it took 2months, 4months.pls

Are you a student,pr or citizen?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kad199: 4:59pm On Apr 29
House34:

Are you a student,pr or citizen?
student
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Focusmind: 8:26pm On Apr 29
kad199:
student

You have to get your mind prepared for the worse. Work towards your mental health as the challenges of job search could be unnerving and depressing. My own person just got her first job after 9-months of landing in Canada. After submitting close to 200 applications. She is in the health and community services sector.

Prepare your resume for housekeeping, laborer, cleaning jobs, which they call " custodian " jobs. Depending on your discipline or even any discipline, you may do some certification in First aid/CPR, Safe food handling, Customer service certification, Security Guard certification, Smart Serve, Lifting, Positioning and Transferring. This is to enable you to be competitive for students jobs. The battle for jobs in Canada is fierce and you have to always tailor your cover letter and resume to each job you are applying. You may also have to take your resume to visit fast food outlets, malls, warehouses. agencies and construction sites to submit, for on the spot assessments. Thousands of international students are pursuing the few available jobs.

Why preparing your resume for a student job, leave out all those your Nigerian experiences out. You can't be looking for a "housekeeping" job in Canada and included your "financial analyst" job role you did in Nigeria in your resume. Its also better you do volunteering jobs in Canada and include it on your resume than putting all those Nigerian experiences there. A Canadian employer wanting to a hire a student for a job would prefer someone without a Canadian experience but had volunteered with a Canadian organization than someone with just Nigerian experiences. At least, the place you volunteer would be willing to provide you with references, which is a critical part of recruitment in Canada.

Job hunting now in Canada requires one to have good mental resilience or else stress and depression would affect your academic. The only exception is if you are loaded and could go months without requiring financial assistance. But if you must work to support or augment your finances, you have to brave for the huddles. Good luck!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CokeBar(f): 3:42am On Apr 30
If you'd be studying at Durham, Ontario Tech or Trent University, oshawa and you need Airbnb Rental, hit me up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chelseaboi(m): 3:56am On Apr 30
awys:
Hello Please is any student coming to Manitoba in August. I am looking for someone to share apartment with. My lease expires in July and move- in date is in August 1st. we can rent together. Female but I can also consider male. Also anyone who has room or apartment to rent please let me know. I am looking at Pembina Areas. Thank you.

Hy awys, do u still have the apartment for a share?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bekayy: 11:22pm On Apr 30
Thank you very much for this detailed honest truth.

Focusmind:

You have to get your mind prepared for the worst. Work towards your mental health as the challenges of job search could be unnerving and depressing. My own person just got her first job after 9months of landing in Canada. After submitting close to 200 applications. She is in the health and community services sector.

Job hunting now in Canada requires one to have good mental resilience or else stress and depression would affect your academic. Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kad199: 8:00pm On May 01
Canadahome:

Welcome to Canada bro. I wish you the very best here.

You have to arrange your resume to Canadian standard. And start applying to as many jobs as you can. Always, tailor your resume to the requirements and JD of any job you are applying for.

In the meantime, you can visit any of the newcomers offices around you. They may be able to get you something to start with at least help you to pay bills for now. I wish you the very best bro.

What’s your field?
Do those job agency charge for their services?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by adanac13: 9:14pm On May 01
It has ended in praise guys!!! Today I officially became a Canadian Citizen!!! what started as a thought has become a reality. I give God all the praise!!! grin

38 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Comfort0626: 5:53am On May 02
adanac13:
It has ended in praise guys!!! Today I officially became a Canadian Citizen!!! what started as a thought has become a reality. I give God all the praise!!! grin
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sweetvie: 1:23pm On May 02
adanac13:
Congrats

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gideon19: 3:46pm On May 02
Hi all, I got an extract from the FRSC site only to get to the DriveTest centre and was told they don't accept such letters again and that i need to reach out to https://nigeriahcottawa.ca/drivers-license-letter/

I have been trying to reach the number on that site but keeps going to voicemail cos, it will be so sad to have paid 50k (last year) only to be told I need to pay another Non-refundable fee of CAD$50.00 plus Administrative fee of CAD$50.00 money order payable to the Nigeria High Commission.

Although, I have done my G1 test and would like to confirm if it will be worth the stress (getting this letter from them).

NOTE: I have sent an email since last week, no response yet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 8:55pm On May 02
gideon19:
Hi all, I got an extract from the FRSC site only to get to the DriveTest centre and was told they don't accept such letters again and that i need to reach out to https://nigeriahcottawa.ca/drivers-license-letter/

I have been trying to reach the number on that site but keeps going to voicemail cos, it will be so sad to have paid 50k (last year) only to be told I need to pay another Non-refundable fee of CAD$50.00 plus Administrative fee of CAD$50.00 money order payable to the Nigeria High Commission.

Although, I have done my G1 test and would like to confirm if it will be worth the stress (getting this letter from them).

NOTE: I have sent an email since last week, no response yet.

It's only worth it if your nigeria driver's license has been valid for more than 2 years, as that's when it becomes advantageous for you in Ontario. You can also try another driving center outside the GTA with ur frsc extract !
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gideon19: 5:58am On May 03
House34:

It's only worth it if your nigeria driver's license has been valid for more than 2 years, as that's when it becomes advantageous for you in Ontario. You can also try another driving center outside the GTA with ur frsc extract !

oh, really?

I would appreciate any recommendation from you, please.

and yes, it has been valid for more than 2 years.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ExcellenceAb: 10:44pm On May 03
adanac13:

Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ExcellenceAb: 10:51pm On May 03
kad199:
student

I came in here in Dec 28, 2023. I landed a job 4 months later (last month ending).

Tips:.

1) Tailor your CV to whatever job you are applying for.

2) Apply to student jobs not professional jobs (sales Representative, construction worker, farmer, customer care service representative etc)

3) Make friends with people that are already there, friends in Church, sch etc. And don't stomach your problem. Voice out, tell someone in Church especially during new timers welcome, that you need a job etc.

4) Pray to God for guidance. (Should actually be the first, tho)

Assurance: The Mins on the 29th changed the initial rule that international students could work for 40 hours per week (full time), to 20 hours per week. Meaning that companies who initially employed an international student to work for 40 hours would now start considering employing 2 students on different shifts to do the job. (It means more part time jobs.

Additionally, arriving Canada during the summer time is of great advantage, a lot of undergrad leave their job to go home for holidays/internship, only few remain on campus for summer classes. You stand a great chance of being employed compared to coming in here during winter.

Welcome to Canada

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kad199: 7:20am On May 04
ExcellenceAb:

I came in here in Dec 28, 2023. I landed a job 4 months later (last month ending).

2) Apply to student jobs not professional jobs (sales Representative, construction worker, farmer, customer care service representative etc)

3) Make friends with people that are already there, friends in Church, sch etc. And don't stomach your problem. Voice out, tell someone in Church especially during new timers welcome, that you need a job etc.

Assurance: The Mins on the 29th changed the initial rule that international students could work for 40 hours per week (full time), to 20 hours per week. Meaning that companies who initially employed an international student to work for 40 hours would now start considering employing 2 students on different shifts to do the job. (It means more part time jobs.

Additionally, arriving Canada during the summer time is of great advantage, a lot of undergrad leave their job to go home for holidays/internship, only few remain on campus for summer classes. You stand a great chance of being employed compared to coming in here during winter.

Welcome to Canada
Thank u very much. What about job agencies? Do they demand for payment. Heard about them here before.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kad199: 7:40am On May 04
ExcellenceAb:

Welcome to Canada
Pls how do I go about tailoring my CV too the Canada way.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jasperonyx: 1:57pm On May 04
jedisco

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ExcellenceAb: 2:41am On May 05
kad199:
Thank u very much. What about job agencies? Do they demand for payment. Heard about them here before.

Anyone that ask for payment to give you a job is a scam

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by benji93: 3:29am On May 05
Perhaps Diversity is only one of the factors being considered in the various immigration programs. Your argument would hold if that was the only factor. No serious country would do that. Immigrants' choice of Ontario may not be the only contributing factor to the high population of Indians in Brampton. Have you considered that the freedom of immigrants to move between provinces may be a contributing factor? Besides 80% is a gross exaggeration. 30% looks more like it.

It's rather unfruitful to compare two different immigration programs that consider different factors. The Diversity Visa Lottery program of the US is different from Canada's immigration programs by express entry for example.
colored:
What do you guys think of the way Indians are taking over Canada in massive numbers? Brampton's demography is 80% Indian. And it's not like they are assimilating into the Canadian culture, they are instead forming their own parallel society within Canada, posing a threat to Canadian values. Canada is appealing to me and to many not just because of her economic opportunities but also because of her values of freedom and egalitarianism.

Diversity isn't importing immigrants from only one part of the world, it is balancing the immigrants who are coming in so that diverse countries can be represented. The US understands this very well which is why Nigerians are no longer eligible for visa lottery because they have taken in over 50k Nigerians, exceeding the threshold they set for Nigerians.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kad199: 1:49pm On May 05
ExcellenceAb:

Anyone that ask for payment to give you a job is a scam
I know but do those Job agencies exist. Cos I be don dey use eye find them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ExcellenceAb: 8:00pm On May 05
kad199:
Pls how do I go about tailoring my CV too the Canada way.

Tailoring your CV means putting the experiences the what for the rule. Like, you cannot apply to work in a construction company using the CV of a sales Representative.

You can find Canada CV styles and free templates online. Google it, you will see hundreds of free templates. An example is attached here

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by EagleScope01: 6:46pm On May 06
Good day fam...
Can anyone suggest available jobs in Brandon (Manitoba)?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 3:18pm On May 08
Cycling around GTA

1. Seized Russian cargo plane due to Ukraine war for over 2 years now.
2. Boat owners getting ready for summer.
3. Group Ride.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 9:47pm On May 08
my group na Nigerians dey rent to Nigerians. Its massive!
Guest911:

I get where you're coming from. I don't have anything against Brampton as well. but when it comes to majority, you know how it is. The number of times I've gotten questions like are you vegetarian or are you Gujurati, Indians only etc just because I want to rent a place is disappointing.
Driving there too is not safe you sef know for that one grin terrible drivers full brampton.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by daddiboi: 11:52am On May 10
First of all get your SIN Number from airport or you can apply on their official portal https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html

After that, you need to get your drivers liscense because car is very important in Canada. You can directly go into your nearest car Driving centre but first you actually need to prepare for your exam https://www.g1mocktest.ca/. You have to practice questions and then give your exam then buy a second hand car.

At last get a partime job with studying and you are good to go. Apply for PR at the end of your work permit.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 12:32pm On May 10
daddiboi:
First of all get your SIN Number from airport or you can apply on their official portal https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html

After that, you need to get your drivers liscense because car is very important in Canada. You can directly go into your nearest car Driving centre but first you actually need to prepare for your exam https://www.g1mocktest.ca/. You have to practice questions and then give your exam then buy a second hand car.

At last get a partime job with studying and you are good to go. Apply for PR at the end of your work permit.
...give exam chai...Indians don take over.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by miolad20(m): 12:43pm On May 10
Hmmm. There was a caught. It didn't sound well to me when I read it too. What question/post was that user responding to tho? They just created a profile and dropped a post.
aestake:

...give exam chai...Indians don take over.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Generalmerchant: 12:05pm On May 11
One Bedroom apartments for rent in Gull lake Saskatchewan. $750 monthly. Includes all utilities except electricity. Email gultan homes at Gmail dot com for details.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kingzizu: 2:47pm On May 11
Please my people, I have never been this confused and bothered in my life.

I have a Canadian VV, I couldn't use it for the purpose I needed it as the visa came out some months later. I have relatives in Canada who are convincing me to come over and seek Asylum. It's new to me but I'm still trying to make some research about asylum seeking.

I graduated 2015 with a CGPA of 4.3 and since then I've not been able to get a good job.

Please, is it worth it considering the fact that Nigeria is getting worse by the day?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 4:20pm On May 11
Kingzizu:

I have a Canadian VV, I couldn't use it for the purpose I needed it as the visa came out some months later. I have relatives in Canada who are convincing me to come over and seek Asylum. It's new to me but I'm still trying to make some research about asylum seeking.

I graduated 2015 with a CGPA of 4.3 and since then I've not been able to get a good job.

Please, is it worth it considering the fact that Nigeria is getting worse by the day?
If you are ready for years of suffering and a possible deportation back to Nigeria at the end of it, then please go right ahead and travel to Canada to claim asylum. In addition, be ready for years of lying to yourself and ensuring not to forget your lie.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:03pm On May 11
Kingzizu:

You are better off learning french and applying for express entry. Asylum will put your life in limbo and you will get deported after.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (710) (711) (712) (713) (714) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.