Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2183142 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 7:47pm On May 14, 2019
doppler06:

I don’t think there was a need for “do better”
Nd he/she’s actually right though cuz someone has shared a story here before about how CIC invalidated and issued them a new copr because they had changed passports and notified CIC.
Me thinks if you renew and go with your 2 passports, you are good. But if you renew and notify CIC about a change in passport, then they recall the issued copr and tell you to send in the new passport for reissue

Hundreds of people come to this thread for information. We should all do better by being sure of what we put out here.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by exquisef: 8:21pm On May 14, 2019
hmmm r u sure about this... ppl said they've travelled holding both
temmytee1:

infact if you obtain another passport i.e renew post COPR, your immigrant visa becomes invalid
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by exquisef: 8:23pm On May 14, 2019
Thank you for this
AZeD1:

This is not true. Lots of people here have renewed their passports after COPR.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by exquisef: 8:24pm On May 14, 2019
Turkish airways is generally a great airline from previous experience
Pharmbb:

Good day everyone, I received my PPR on May 8th and planning to book my flight for last week of July.

Can one do landing formalities in Montreal cos the Turkish Airlines flight to Calgary is via Montreal or I will do it in Calgary

Also has anyone flown Turkish Airlines? Please what's the experience like?

Thanks

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DadR: 8:41pm On May 14, 2019
Thanks for the referral wink

@Jesusbabyyy, I can help market & sell the items, let's talk.

Kmgb1:

Try @DadR

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olajide21: 8:49pm On May 14, 2019
I present to you, Architecture at its finest!!!

36 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by temmytee1(f): 9:05pm On May 14, 2019
GozyNA:

This is the most untrue thing I've read on this thread. Do better.
Did you use another passport after COPR?
Cos i got another one, and had to resend the new one to accra for a new counterfoil.
Someone also wrote same on this thread.
Maybe if CIC isn't notified, it might be a different game.
But i notified them to avoid stories that touch at point of entry, and cos i intended to travel close to the time my medicals would expire.
So verify or support your assertions before writing "do better"

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jhoci: 9:27pm On May 14, 2019
It's so beautiful and calm, I get lost whenever I go into this library.

olajide21:
For the lovers of books, research and knowledge, i present to you The Calgary Public Library!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by stonecoldcafe: 9:42pm On May 14, 2019
19CannyMum:

AMA phone app. I have recommendation from two people who've passed the test.

I appreciate. Will download and see. Thanks @ Nekdr
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by stonecoldcafe: 9:44pm On May 14, 2019
olajide21:
For the lovers of books, research and knowledge, i present to you The Calgary Public Library!
Very good angles. You have some amazing shots
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by stonecoldcafe: 9:47pm On May 14, 2019
JesusBabyyy:
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this post is a bit off
Please who knows that moniker that advertises that they buy used household items before one relocates..
Our trip is around the corner and I need to sell off lots of items in my house.
Been searching this forum can’t find the the moniker, I know I used to see the ad.
Thanks.

You can also try posting here too

https://www.nairaland.com/3589456/house-clearance-sales-come-here

Good luck

@kmgb my sister, I spot thee. Lol

3 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oakville19: 9:56pm On May 14, 2019
JesusBabyyy:
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this post is a bit off
Please who knows that moniker that advertises that they buy used household items before one relocates..
Our trip is around the corner and I need to sell off lots of items in my house.
Been searching this forum can’t find the the moniker, I know I used to see the ad.
Thanks.

Here it is.

9 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adaoh: 10:14pm On May 14, 2019
Thank you so much for this!

czaratwork:
Hi all,

I received some pms from bankers in Nigeria that would want to continue their banking career here. i will just share the basic knowledge i have here and believe some people already in the bank here will throw more light and or correct my impression if wrong.

for those in branches you can still continue your career here as the banks here have branches and are always recruiting. Doing the mutual funds accreditation in either Investment funds in Canada or Canadian Security course or both before launching yourself into the job market gives you an advantage over others.

Also Acces employment is a good employment agency to connect with if you intend to land a banking job because they have link with almost all the banks and do career fair with the banks while training you.

The main roles in the branches are client advisor, banking advisor and financial advisor and the major banks are RBC, TD, CIBC, SCOTIA and BMO. you also have customer service representative which is like contact centre job in Nigeria.

Feel free to google these banks and the roles to see their job descriptions. This will help you decide if it is something you can do. good sites to search for jobs are indeed, glassdoor and the banks' career sites

Please the experienced Canadian bankers here can throw more light oin career in the banks here especially the branches and the certifications required to get into the system. Once you get in with your Nigerian experience you can always navigate your way to other departments(a foot in the door) and also the difference between the 2 certifications.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 10:19pm On May 14, 2019
temmytee1:

Did you use another passport after COPR?
Cos i got another one, and had to resend the new one to accra for a new counterfoil.
Someone also wrote same on this thread.
Maybe if CIC isn't notified, it might be a different game.
But i notified them to avoid stories that touch at point of entry, and cos i intended to travel close to the time my medicals would expire.
So verify or support your assertions before writing "do better"

You never mentioned notifying CIC in your original post. The person who asked had no intention of notifying CIC and you told him/her straight up that their visa automatically becomes invalid if passport is renewed. Let's put out accurate and complete info here abeg.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ysmd: 10:39pm On May 14, 2019
Hello,

I need help with accomodation within the GTA.

Can you assist me with your realtor.

I sent a mail to connect with you on nairaland

czaratwork:
My people,

How has it been? A shout out to those that towed the financial analysis path. How has it been learning Advanced excel and some accounting packages? I hope at least one person gained from the knowledge sharing. I know i had also posted on AML role, i hope it helped at least one person.

Then for black female accountant network, i hope we have not only joined the group on linkedin but also on whatsapp as jobs are posted on regular basis in the whatsapp group.

If you are landing in GTA and need a realtor to help you with accommodation, please inbox me and i will give you the number of the person that helped me.

Sorry my PM responses are not as fast as before, my default gmail is my new gmail account. Sometimes i forget i have another gmail to check.

If you are still finding it difficult to integrate, don't worry. We will all be okay las las.

Finally the voting for RBC top 25 is almost coming to an end and i need your support to vote for Jenny Okonkwo (founder of black female accountant network). You can vote for 3 times in a day.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sunvick(m): 3:01am On May 15, 2019
That is incorrect. If you obtain a new passport after COPR, your older passport becomes invalid, but any valid visa in the older passport is very much Valid for use until the visa expires.

temmytee1:

infact if you obtain another passport i.e renew post COPR, your immigrant visa becomes invalid

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kmgb1: 4:32am On May 15, 2019
stonecoldcafe:

Good luck

Sis of life,im loyal..thanks for d link,been searching for the thread

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adunnee: 5:12am On May 15, 2019
https://immigrantmuse.ca/

The site contains loads of information on how to settle fully in Canada.

25 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tantolu: 5:19am On May 15, 2019
exquisef:
hmmm r u sure about this... ppl said they've travelled holding both
Absolutely,cos the barcode on your COPR would not correspond with the Visa's own.,both would have to be reissued.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pharmbb(f): 6:05am On May 15, 2019

One more question please, hope they don't bin food stuffs like Egypt Air?

guzenaira:

Yes you can do your landing formalities there.

Turkish is good but layover is my issue with them, some of their food was strange to me but then it will sustain a bit.

There is possibility they put you to a connecting flight of Air Canada or West jet.

I flown it mid last year anyway.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tantolu: 6:10am On May 15, 2019
stonecoldcafe:
Can someone give me tips for the online theory part of the driving test. I practiced extensively with this website https://m.tests.ca/alberta/ and failed wella. I was truly humbled. smiley I read the PDF book a bit but i didnt finish it sha.

17dollars don go be that. I'll appreciate any tips i can get from the house. Thanks

Bros,you will need to give your self time to read the PDF book very well,practice the online tests @Transport Alberta, about 300 questions in all ,use the simulator online (also @Transport Alberta) possibly morning before the exam,learn to skip when not sure, I did same and i passed at first attempt,You can pass.

11 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by guzenaira: 6:37am On May 15, 2019
Pharmbb:

One more question please, hope they don't bin food stuffs like Egypt Air?

You can’t take liquid on board but you can take some specific snacks sha.

But in your luggage, you can go with any foodstuff provided it is allowed In Canada. But not inside hand luggage anyway.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pharmbb(f): 7:01am On May 15, 2019
Thank you very much

guzenaira:

You can’t take liquid on board but you can take some specific snacks sha.

But in your luggage, you can go with any foodstuff provided it is allowed In Canada. But not inside hand luggage anyway.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Demi007: 7:47am On May 15, 2019
Hi Claire. Sorry im just catching up.

So, Hubby is the Architect and he has decided to go the project management route. He and a friend who will be landing a few days before us.

So they’ve been studying here and are almost set to take the exam.

We can talk privately (e mail) to see how we can learn from each other or any other useful information needed to pass across. So we can hit the ground running (by Gods grace)

Claire18:
Finally! I am an Architect but yet to land. The process ain't easy for us per say. Unless to start as an architect technologist or graduate architect. I have started looking else where as We have soft skills in 2d,3d, and 4d graphics. And comparing them, the salary is also good. What progress have you made so far?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sats: 8:01am On May 15, 2019
maternal:

Deny it. Tell them your pikin is vex because u gave them a time out at home. Then beat them even harder for telling their school when they get home. Again no evidence is the key. Careful of cell phones too.

Lying to the face of your kid
You must be proud of your parenting skills

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Deniceone: 9:44am On May 15, 2019
Pharmbb:

Good day everyone, I received my PPR on May 8th and planning to book my flight for last week of July.

Also has anyone flown Turkish Airlines? Please what's the experience like?

Thanks

You can read the landing gist by Styv in part one of this thread. I don't know how to link else would ve done it. grin
Make sure you collect your free meal ticket
As men of honour......

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kmgb1: 10:02am On May 15, 2019
@ freshdad kindly email me on kmgbltd@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TEECANN: 11:40am On May 15, 2019
Hello e-fam,

Top of the day to you.

Please I need suggestions on how to wriggle out of this little dilemma.

My daughter's international passport having her PR visa vignette is expiring in Aug, 2019 and we will be flying in July,2019.

What can I do?

1. Should I get another Intl passport or will Ethiopian Air allow it pass? (For those who have previously flown with ET)

2. If I eventually need to get a new Intl passport, will it be necessary to inform and update CIC about the new passport details?

Thank you all.

It will end in praise IJN!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 11:47am On May 15, 2019
Thanks dear. I will send a PM now
Demi007:
Hi Claire. Sorry im just catching up.

So, Hubby is the Architect and he has decided to go the project management route. He and a friend who will be landing a few days before us.

So they’ve been studying here and are almost set to take the exam.

We can talk privately (e mail) to see how we can learn from each other or any other useful information needed to pass across. So we can hit the ground running (by Gods grace)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by laminaria(m): 12:16pm On May 15, 2019
TEECANN:
Hello e-fam,

Top of the day to you.

Please I need suggestions on how to wriggle out of this little dilemma.

My daughter's international passport having her PR visa vignette is expiring in Aug, 2019 and we will be flying in July,2019.
[color=#990000][/color]

What can I do?

1. Should I get another Intl passport or will Ethiopian Air allow it pass? (For those who have previously flown with ET)
You will need to get another passport ASAP I don’t think there’s any airline that will airlift her without having atleast 6months left on her passport I could be wrong though.

2. If I eventually need to get a new Intl passport, will it be necessary to inform and update CIC about the new passport details?
No you don’t. I know up to 4people who traveled with a new passport while having visa affix on their previous passport. Best of luck

Thank you all.

It will end in praise IJN!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by blessingoba24: 1:04pm On May 15, 2019
Thanks, I am a silent reader.This should solve my current problem
stonecoldcafe:

Good luck

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Orange1234: 1:06pm On May 15, 2019
Hello Fam. Please, I want to know if the Canadian government taxes any of the cash income that is taken to Canada from Nigeria after landing as a PR. Any feedback would be appreciated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.