Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (160) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2192317 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zeiya(f): 8:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
Hi everyone, It been a while. I landed in April and it has been a rollercoaster settling down with my family. We have finally settled in Winnipeg.
Please I want to connect with people here in Winnipeg/Manitoba.
Is there a whatsapp group?

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ladykeigh: 8:33pm On Jun 17, 2019
Good evening house, please I need your input.

My husband is reluctant to get started. Can I be the principal applicant ? I have a B.Sc in Computer science but never worked as a Computer scientist.

Worked in Customer service and Banking (Loan recovery ) for 2 years and 2 and half years respectively.

I have worked as a cook in my food business for 6 years since I resigned at my bank job. Will I stand a chance ? My husband on the other hand is the Country Program Manager at a Solar energy company, he studied Statistics. We both have B Sc only.

I just want to get started, I'm tired of taking in all the information without getting anything done as I have relied on my husband to do stuff.

What's the first step to take, please ? I'd also appreciate any help.Thank you all.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jennypharb1: 9:27pm On Jun 17, 2019
Ladykeigh:
Good evening house, please I need your input.

My husband is reluctant to get started. Can I be the principal applicant ? I have a B.Sc in Computer science but never worked as a Computer scientist.

Worked in Customer service and Banking (Loan recovery ) for 2 years and 2 and half years respectively.

I have worked as a cook in my food business for 6 years since I resigned at my bank job. Will I stand a chance ? My husband on the other hand is the Country Program Manager at a Solar energy company, he studied Statistics. We both have B Sc only.

I just want to get started, I'm tired of taking in all the information without getting anything done as I have relied on my husband to do stuff.

What's the first step to take, please ? I'd also appreciate any help.Thank you all.

https://www.nairaland.com/5187408/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Click on the link above, that's the thread you should be on, you'll get all the information you need there. Also you haven't given enough information for anyone to give you proper advice

E.g do you have any other degrees/certificates apart from your Bsc, what's your husband's highest degree, how old are you and your husband, what's his work experience. The question plenty

Just play with this CRS tool below and simulate your scores then come over to the other thread and someone will be able to point you in the right direction

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp?_ga=2.141128822.555779551.1530002975-1561889732.1516351987

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ladykeigh: 11:48pm On Jun 17, 2019
Jennypharb1:

https://www.nairaland.com/5187408/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Click on the link above, that's the thread you should be on, you'll get all the information you need there. Also you haven't given enough information for anyone to give you proper advice

E.g do you have any other degrees/certificates apart from your Bsc, what's your husband's highest degree, how old are you and your husband, what's his work experience. The question plenty

Just play with this CRS tool below and simulate your scores then come over to the other thread and someone will be able to point you in the right direction

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp?_ga=2.141128822.555779551.1530002975-1561889732.1516351987

Thank you for your time. Will redirect my question.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:08am On Jun 18, 2019
Majesticniyi:

Your reason for coming to Canada is for permanent residence...simple. You don't have to give any other reason.

Better to make your travel plans for March, biko. You would be coming to face the harsh winter cold if you come December and practically no one would volunteer to help you get around during that time, combined with the fact that you arent used to the transit system yet. My advice though, take at your discretion.

How about landing late September. as am also planning on landing by then?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:09am On Jun 18, 2019
GozyNA:
Calgary City Centre @ 10:30 pm

And its this bright abi na ur camera dey deceive us....lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 2:23am On Jun 18, 2019
It was a great day to be in downtown Toronto as the victory parade was held for the Toronto Raptors, 2019 NBA Champions. Sight from Nathan Philips Square.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ehimen100: 3:56am On Jun 18, 2019
Folafikemi:

And its this bright abi na ur camera dey deceive us....lol

Only if you knew. If the picture was taken by 9pm it would have been as bright as 5pm naija time.

Here, there are longer days and shorter nights. Darkness comes from 10pm and daylight from 4.30am

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kmgb1: 6:18am On Jun 18, 2019
Blackbuddy:
It was a great day to be in downtown Toronto as the victory parade was help for the Toronto Raptors, 2019 NBA Champions. Some sights from Nathan Philips Square.

Wowww..Go Champions!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Transformium: 8:13am On Jun 18, 2019
Eddy4400:

1. 30days

2. After I sent a mail to my VO, started gathering docs while waiting for the Request Letter, but Qlife refused to schedule an immediate appointment without this letter stating the 30days deadline. So spouse completed medicals after VO responded with a Request Letter for additional docs.

3. Submitted a few days after I got the Request Letter cos every other doc is to be uploaded via your CIC account anyways. However, you're required to submit within same 30days deadline from date on Request Letter.

Thank you so much for your prompt response smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 18, 2019
Ehimen100:

Only if you knew. If the picture was taken by 9pm it would have been as bright as 5pm naija time.

Here, there are longer days and shorter nights. Darkness comes from 10pm and daylight from 4.30am

Wow I can wait to cross the international date line to experience the beauty of nature ooo. Pray for quick PPR for me bro

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by castrokins(m): 12:48pm On Jun 18, 2019
Who's Starting This Journey, Can We Do It Together?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kike100: 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2019
Just a few words of advice/encouragement as you conclude plans to land especially with regards to work settlement.

1. If you decide to continue in your current line of profession& there is a certification for it,please DO IT especially if it can be done from Nigeria. E.g PMP, do it from Naija, Bankers with branch/RM experience, do the CSC exam from naija if possible worse case, plan to take it immediately upon arrival,it goes a loooooong way to help.

2. Search for career events&register if its few weeks to your arrival.

3. If you decide to change your career upon arrival & you haven't started say taking exams etc before arrival, remember you don't expect to be on the same terrain or have the same audience from recruiters here as the person who has started.

4. If you a RM in a Naija bank, remember to change that title to Banking Advisor here because that's what it's called. It soo helps

5. For anyone planning to be a Business Analyst & you have never been one, decide which type of BA (Iat, Operations, Strategy) you want to be,take free courses online to understand the lingo+CBAP

6. Head of Operations/HOP/HSS, pls note you can't be those roles in Canada because it doesn't work like that. What of thinking along the line of Internal Control,Audit,Risk, AML etc?? Just saying!

7. YOU CAN GET A JOB THAT PAYS SAME OR MORE THAN YOU ARE EARNING IN NIGERIA. JUST COMEFULLY ARMED& PREPARED!!

Am sure we have heard most of these things before, however a lot of newly landed still fall into these categories & it hurts gannnn..

#wetheNorth!
God bless!

63 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 18, 2019
I am a Social Work student ATM and have always wondered what it is like relocating and gaining ground?
Any tips for the babe?
Would be appreciated.

dumprep:
My Landing Gist

Sorry this is coming late guys.

Fast forward to today, I am now in Oshawa, ON. Just yesterday, I had a 2-hour interview/registration process and thankfully, it was a success. I sat with one of the Directors of the Company and she was so cool and friendly. We got talking like we have known each other for ages. I got the employment offer for the position of a Clients’ Services Advisor and will commence training today. I have a well-established friend based in Edmonton who constantly encourages me to relocate to Edmonton because she says there are several health-related jobs there. Especially in the field I am in, Health and Social Care.

I am grateful to God, my family and friends, for a smooth landing.

I have landed in praise. God bless you all.

@Topsmamen, @dumsydsassy1, @raphrulz, @joo2018, @Ifeoma77, @ramj, @Tojued, @Tippex, @zeiya, @fatiah: I am waiting for your landing gists o.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Majesticniyi(m): 5:09pm On Jun 18, 2019
Folafikemi:

How about landing late September. as am also planning on landing by then?

In my opinion, not bad. Your body will have time to adjust to the Winter before it hits hard grin

See me giving advice sha, me wey never even experience the almighty winter.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by teechedah: 5:27pm On Jun 18, 2019
Hello guys, Please do Architecture jobs pays well in canada as am currently evaluating my transcript & preparing for IELTS?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 7:28pm On Jun 18, 2019
Cross Iron Mills, Alberta.

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Deyonsesi: 8:11pm On Jun 18, 2019
Zeiya:
Hi everyone, It been a while. I landed in April and it has been a rollercoaster settling down with my family. We have finally settled in Winnipeg.

I think there is a telegram group

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Winterpeg: 9:02pm On Jun 18, 2019
dimaxy:
Please does anyone know the job market for people with medical microbiology or microbiology in Manitoba. How to get job, salary and all that
There are a lot of jobs for people in medical micro biology in Manitoba but u will need certification or u can take some courses too. For microbiology in general, it depends on what area you are looking at. Take for instance food microbiology. If u already have experience in food, you can easily continue in this line without immediate taking some courses. However, you will earn more with medical microbiology than working in a food lab but I believe both pay above minimum wage. So I will advise that you determine what area you will like to continue in, go on indeed and check the job requirements and salaries, then you will know whether you need certification, courses or u can easily just continue when you land.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by barewizzle: 10:39pm On Jun 18, 2019
How does one join?

Deyonsesi:

I think there is a telegram group
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mike168: 10:44pm On Jun 18, 2019
Hi there.
Please I wanna know the fasted way to relocate to Canada for work or student.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dekembabe: 10:45pm On Jun 18, 2019
Hello house! Pls is there anybody that flew egypt air lately experienced binning of fish or other foodstuffs? Your review will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yengi: 11:03pm On Jun 18, 2019
kike100:
Just a few words of advice/encouragement as you conclude
1. If you decide to continue in your current line of profession& there is a certification for it,please DO IT especially if it can be done from Nigeria. E.g PMP, do it from Naija, Bankers with branch/RM experience, do the CSC exam from naija if possible worse case, plan to take it immediately upon arrival,it goes a loooooong way to help.

2. Search for career events&register if its few weeks to your arrival.

3. If you decide to change your career upon arrival & you haven't started say taking exams etc before arrival, remember you don't expect to be on the same terrain or have the same audience from recruiters here as the person who has started.

4[b]. If you a RM in a Naija bank, remember to change that title to Banking Advisor here because that's what it's called. It soo helps

6. Head of Operations/HOP/HSS, pls note you can't be those roles in Canada because it doesn't work like that. What of thinking along the line of Internal Control,Audit,Risk, AML etc?? Just saying!

7. YOU CAN GET A JOB THAT PAYS SAME OR MORE THAN YOU ARE EARNING IN NIGERIA. JUST COMEFULLY ARMED& PREPARED!!

God bless!

Hi thanks for the notes. If the RM's in Nigerian banks are called Banking Advisors what are those in banking ng operations (cash services, funds transfer etc) called?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hotstepper(f): 12:02am On Jun 19, 2019
I get Teller

yengi:

Hi thanks for the notes. If the RM's in Nigerian banks are called Banking Advisors what are those in banking ng operations (cash services, funds transfer etc) called?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iyamefa: 4:57am On Jun 19, 2019
Blackbuddy:
It was a great day to be in downtown Toronto as the victory parade was help for the Toronto Raptors, 2019 NBA Champions. Some sights from Nathan Philips Square.
And some young men sadly decided to disrupt the celebration...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iyamefa: 4:59am On Jun 19, 2019
Guys does flying through London with British airways require one to have a transit British visa like it is in the US?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Winterpeg: 5:00am On Jun 19, 2019
Zeiya:
Welcome to Winnipeg and may the land bring you favour. I dont think there is a WhatsApp group.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iyamefa: 5:00am On Jun 19, 2019
yengi:

Customer service/client advisors
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ITABABE: 5:08am On Jun 19, 2019
Iyamefa:
Guys does flying through London with British airways require one to have a transit British visa like it is in the US?
No it doesn't but if you land in Heathrow and your flight to Canada from there is from Gatwick then you need a transit visa . So check your itinerary properly. Landing in London Heathrow and departing from London Gatwick requires a transit visa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cersei: 6:38am On Jun 19, 2019
Hello All,

Who is in Calgary SW and wants to share a downtown or close by 2bed, 2bath apartment not paying more that $750 each all inclusive. We can meet up and go apartment hunting together to find a suitable place.

About me: Female, mid twenties, new to calgary.

You can send pm me here and leave your number, I'll give a call back.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lummie01: 7:14am On Jun 19, 2019
Welcome to edmonton. Are u on the north side? There is a telegram and WhatsApp group for Nigerians in Edmonton

Ronnie1984:
Hello blessed people
At this point I think I owe this forum some serious thanks because my journey to Canada wont have been possible with God and the group if highly educated and resourceful people. So I finally got my dream and am in edmonton . Please my brother and sister nairalanders make una try connect with me. So who ever is in edmonton that has pity on me and wants to be my friend in this new city.should pls reach out. thanks peeps. If I say I no love all of una na big lie I talk

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.