Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,765 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (217) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2183065 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elektra008(f): 5:21pm On Sep 29, 2019
etrange:
Guys, what's the ideal house rent for a single guy in Calgary?

Why do I feel like you would do well to land in Montreal You are bilingual... Montreal according to my research is lovely and cheaper than Calgary with more French speakers which is OK for you. From there you can network and follow the job to any province you choose without eating a deep hole into your pof.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ladykeigh: 8:22pm On Sep 29, 2019
That's not a bad idea, thank you !
etrange:

Why not go for MSc in Data Science?

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hurricanecol11: 9:06pm On Sep 29, 2019
Calgarian,

How you all enjoying your early winter?
grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 9:44pm On Sep 29, 2019
Elektra008:

Why do I feel like you would do well to land in Montreal You are bilingual... Montreal according to my research is lovely and cheaper than Calgary with more French speakers which is OK for you. From there you can network and follow the job to any province you choose without eating a deep hole into your pof.

Thanks bro.

I intend to allow my job hunt determine where I will land. I was able to send applications to some coys with the help of a friend who's already in Canada. Though I'm yet to get a feedback, I'm open minded province wise. That's why I'm inquiring about the rents. Plus I heard one can't do first landing in Quebec, I don't know how true.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tobore187: 12:33am On Sep 30, 2019
Folafikemi:

Wow. Nice read there. Pls what phone did you have with you that works with their service there?

Secondly how much is required to open an account? Thanks

Thanks, Folafikemi, I use a Samsung galaxy...Huawei, iPhone , Motorola, Windows phone and a few others work here...you can check it up.
You don't need a minimum balance to open your accounts...at least the ones we opened didn't require. I assume you will be coming with your pof, so change to cad and deposit, or open a usd account.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 10:08am On Sep 30, 2019
etrange:

Thanks bro.

I intend to allow my job hunt determine where I will land. I was able to send applications to some coys with the help of a friend who's already in Canada. Though I'm yet to get a feedback, I'm open minded province wise. That's why I'm inquiring about the rents. Plus I heard one can't do first landing in Quebec, I don't know how true.
VERY CORRECT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 10:14am On Sep 30, 2019
iaatmguy:
VERY CORRECT

Have you landed?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 10:34am On Sep 30, 2019
etrange:

Have you landed?
not yet
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elektra008(f): 10:41am On Sep 30, 2019
etrange:

Thanks bro.

Someone on this thread from the regular express entry landed in Montreal without any ish, I think it was Einsteino or so.

(modified) I just checked Einsteino's posts now. He landed in Toronto and took another flight to Montreal
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 11:01am On Sep 30, 2019
Elektra008:

Someone on this thread from the regular express entry landed in Montreal without any ish, I think it was Einsteino or so.

Oh... I see.

@Einsteino, kindly confirm.

Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Funky123(f): 7:26pm On Sep 30, 2019
[quote author=salford1 post=82585795]
If you are no longer interested in the education route, and do not want to spend a long time in school, your options would be to go for a diploma or masters in a technical (e.g Civil) or IT field. Trades are good because you only attend college for maybe 2 to 3 months in a year for 3 to 4 years while still getting paid. Most trades pay a decent wage and there is demand. Go for whichever one sparks your interest.

Please sir,is this trade applicable to someone doing Sales job here in Nigeriak
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 7:35pm On Sep 30, 2019
Elektra008:

(modified) I just checked Einsteino's posts now. He landed in Toronto and took another flight to Montreal
I landed in Montreal and I know several people that have landed in Montreal.

Then again, I and everyone who I know that landed in Montreal were heading to Ottawa

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 9:39pm On Sep 30, 2019
AZeD1:

Then again, I and everyone who I know that landed in Montreal were heading to Ottawa

Hi, landing in Quebec/using them to transit is not the issue or a problem but settling and working there is especially if you don't have their Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec Selection Certificate)

I'm not sure but has anyone who didn't have the Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec Selection Certificate) actually settled in Quebec?

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by keleto(m): 10:47pm On Sep 30, 2019
salford1:

If you are no longer interested in the education route, and do not want to spend a long time in school, your options would be to go for a diploma or masters in a technical (e.g Civil) or IT field. Trades are good because you only attend college for maybe 2 to 3 months in a year for 3 to 4 years while still getting paid. Most trades pay a decent wage and there is demand. Go for whichever one sparks your interest.

However, do not waive your education qualifications aside. It might still be useful in the future. I am now thinking of getting a certificate in Education via online studies even though I am on an Engineering career path..

@ oga Salford, what diploma or certification course would you recommend for someone with HND in electrical and electronics engineering
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:20am On Oct 01, 2019
keleto:

@ oga Salford, what diploma or certification course would you recommend for someone with HND in electrical and electronics engineering
Do you have experience in this industry? If you do, What sort of experience do you have?
I am not sure if the engineering regulators bodies accept HND as equivalent to a degree. If they do not, there are still options.
Off the top of my head,
If your experience is/was in:
Transmission operations/maintenance (lucrative) - NETA certifications (level 2 to 4).
Design - AutoCad GIS certification from a college/Polytechnic/uni. AutoCad lays the foundation for other industry softwares from GE, Siemens, ABB, Schneider, Eaton etc.
Cost Engineering - AACE CPP.
Project Management - PMP.
Power generation/Automation (lucrative) - Power Engineering certifications (2nd to 4th class) or a diploma.
Controls - Instrumentation diploma.

Most importantly, you have to network and endeavor to attend career events for professionals working in your industry.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:26am On Oct 01, 2019
tobore187:

Canada is ours.
Congrats and welcome to this great country.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by daks02: 5:58am On Oct 01, 2019
Hello People long time no talk. Landing gist below:
So PPR came July 25th after 9months! *side eye*IRCC but we thank God sha. Booked lufthansa for 15th september (landed 16th sept, my birthday so to say i started this journey on a new note ehn). Journey started from eko ile around 5:30pm with plenty entourage my parents and in laws, traveled with my husband and one infant. Had 5 bags, one hand luggage, backpack, car seat and baby stroller. I thought lufthansa will give hassle with the car seat and stroller cos their site said either or, just wanted to try my luck sha, they actually accepted both. Before i continue, 3days earlier we weighed and reweighed luggage and decided it wont make sense to pay for extra luggage (lufthansa charged CAD$300, smh) so we went to cargo paid about 175k for 141kg and issued receipt for N23K (which way naija?). So back to gist, while trying to enter the terminal awon weyrey tried to stop my family but to be honest I was too chilled to be bothered i had N500 change that i was just doling out, didn't want anyone to frustrate my life. Everyone eventually got in only to weigh our luggage and all the bags were over. I always have my luggage scale and we weighed at home but tbh i am never one to pack in moderation, my husband was pissed ehn cheesy sorry hubs! We sha got an extra bag and paid CAD$300, again *side eye* Lufthansa! After check in said goodbye to fam, we are ajala in my family and my other two siblings left naija July and august respectively so my parents had experience in goodbyes these past few months, but this is the first time my hubs is moving so far from his mom so tears started to fall small cos his mom wanted to open the floodgates, we begged her o cos i cannot be nursing crying headache and dealing with this my little toddler *angel*
We dropped our stroller at the gate of the aircraft and got it when we landed frankfurt. We got infant row so we had bassinet that we used a little and my daughter was surprisingly well behaved for most part of the journey. Landed frankfurt, picked stroller, went to gate, layover wasn't too long. Took off with air canada, checked in stroller at the gate and surprise suprise, never received it at the gate in Toronto 8HRS later. Thanks o Air Canada, had to carry, half drag madam to border control.
We got there and the queue was mad! We were so sure we will miss our connecting flight which was in 2hrs that's how long the queue was. It also didn't seem like they were giving preference to people with family, after 1hr 30mins and when I guess they heard my baby screaming, someone came to pick us out of the line and attended to us, we had like 30mins to meet the flight and we still had goods to follow to sign, omo i carried my baby and backed her with the wrapper my mom forced me to pack (thanks mom!) and we started running, I knew we could be put on the next flight but i was exhausted at that point and just wanted to get home and sleep. We ran to customs spent like 15mins and then started running to our gate again, we got there just in time as we were the last to board, phew!.
Landed edmonton 4hrs later and went to pick bags alas Air canada again lost one of the bags, went to their desk to complain and got the promise that the bag will be delivered to our apartment. Got a van to carry our load and off we went home. This is the point where i shoutout to some angels, so i saw a post by mummyjaygirls for an apartment (lease takeover) from someone when we were still in naija, reached out to her and she hooked me up, I wasn't so close to anyone in edmonton as at then so i reached out to one of my (very good friends now) that we were in the same sep/oct AOR group and landed before me to help view the place, he agreed, helped view it and we made the payment and signed lease electronically, we also agreed on some of my landlord's furniture we wanted to buy and he sold it to us at very reasonable prices. So from the airport we came home straight, my landlord had connected me with his neighbor to pick up the key from her, another angel, she helped with our luggage and gave us steaming plate of rice and stew. It felt like i won the lottery because after almost 24hrs of travel, it seems like thats what your body needs.
So the following day we started looking around our apartment and we realized my landlord had left almost everything for us, little things that you think is not big deal o but makes a home feel like a home, from tissue paper to pots and laundry detergents! We bought very little to stock up the house. So to my angels, God bless you!
So far we've gotten two PR cards, health cards, enrolled in daycare (started working on this from naija to secure a place for her cos we had an apartment already), gotten phone lines, opened bank accounts with rbc and RESP for baby, gotten sim cards (phones were ok), enrolled in settlement agencies, doing bridging programs and attending interviews.
Meeting new people everyday, we thank God for baby steps, so for aspiring immigrants we are here waiting for you, try and reach out for help too, but be careful not rely too much on people, do your own homework because one person doesn't know it all.

ps our luggage was delivered to our house 2days later *double side eye* air canada, cargoed goods arrived before us sef but we went to pick it 2days after we landed, paid terminal fees and that was all.

83 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pwinkle1(f): 6:16am On Oct 01, 2019
Congratulations!!! You really had angels following you on the journey. Enjoy Canada, we are coming grin

Hello People long time no talk. Landing gist below:
So PPR came July 25th after 9months! *side eye*IRCC but we thank God sha. Booked lufthansa for 15th september (landed 16th sept, my birthday so to say i started this journey on a new note ehn). Journey started from eko ile around 5:30pm with plenty entourage my parents and in laws, traveled with my husband and one infant. Had 5 bags, one hand luggage, backpack, car seat and baby stroller. I thought lufthansa will give hassle with the car seat and stroller cos their site said either or, just wanted to try my luck sha, they actually accepted both. Before i continue, 3days earlier we weighed and reweighed luggage and decided it wont make sense to pay for extra luggage (lufthansa charged CAD$300, smh) so we went to cargo paid about 175k for 141kg and issued receipt for N23K (which way naija?).

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elektra008(f): 6:45am On Oct 01, 2019
AZeD1:

OH great. This proofs one can land in Quebec after all.

Cc. Etrange
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 9:26am On Oct 01, 2019
Elektra008:

OH great. This proofs one can land in Quebec after all.

Cc. Etrange

Thanks Elektra. Thinking of it now, Ottawa is another nice city. Also bilingual to some extent.

Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iwinosified: 12:44pm On Oct 01, 2019
daks02:
Hello People long time no talk. Before i continue, 3days earlier we weighed and reweighed luggage and decided it wont make sense to pay for extra luggage (lufthansa charged CAD$300, smh) so we went to cargo paid about 175k for 141kg and issued receipt for N23K (which way naija?).
Congratulations to you and FAM. Pls can you kindly give details of cargo company used? I thought 20kg food was the new maximum to YEG as per cargo? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 1:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
Hi please i want to ask is iy better to book ticket with an agency or directly with the airline.
If i have extra luggage and i booked through an agent can i pay the extra luggage my self on the website of the airline before getting to the airport?
Secondly what are the prohibited food stuff? I know milk meat is not allowed? Please what are the others.

Lastly how do I transfer my money from nigeria account to Canadian account

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bekayy: 2:46pm On Oct 01, 2019
Hello All Please what is the best flight to use for travel. Thank you.

P.S I have searched for suggestions here, didn't find an answer. Shalom.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jweasley(m): 4:49pm On Oct 01, 2019
Please i need help on cheap university that offers Masters in project management in canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 5:01pm On Oct 01, 2019
Jbelieve:
Hi please i want to ask is iy better to book ticket with an agency or directly with the airline.
If i have extra luggage and i booked through an agent can i pay the extra luggage my self on the website of the airline before getting to the airport?
Secondly what are the prohibited food stuff? I know milk meat is not allowed? Please what are the others.

Lastly how do I transfer my money from nigeria account to Canadian account

Always preferred to do your business directly with the airline. Avoid agents except if they're offering exceptionally cheap prices.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Canny19: 5:30pm On Oct 01, 2019
Who we are and what we wanna be!

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by padix: 9:12pm On Oct 01, 2019
Hello guys. I am landing in Toronto next week as new PR. Please how long does it take for them to post the PR card on the average.
Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tantolu: 9:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
bekayy:
Hello All Please what is the best flight to use for travel. Thank you.

P.S I have searched for suggestions here, didn't find an answer. Shalom.

what exactly do you mean by best??.. Least Cost or what??

Basically, your choice of flight should be a function of your final destination in Canada.My advice is make sure you have up to 3 hours lay over time , if you must transit through Toronto,that would enable you sort out luggage,immigration, customs and check in for the local flight..

Ethiopia and Egypt Airs seems economic enough, for now....but if you are heading to Calgary KLM is comfortable..

13 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bekayy: 9:59pm On Oct 01, 2019
I meant for short transit period and maybe better flight entertainment/comfort. Although, you have answered my question. Thank you so much.

Tantolu:

what exactly do you mean by best??.. Least Cost or what??

Basically, your choice of flight should be a function of your final destination in Canada.My advice is make sure you have up to 3 hours lay over time , if you must transit through Toronto,that would enable you sort out luggage,immigration, customs and check in for the local flight..

Ethiopia and Egypt Airs seems economic enough, for now....but if you are heading to Calgary KLM is comfortable..

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by keleto(m): 10:19pm On Oct 01, 2019
salford1:

Do you have experience in this industry? If you do, What sort of experience do you have?
I am not sure if the engineering regulators bodies accept HND as equivalent to a degree. If they do not, there are still options.
Off the top of my head,
If your experience is/was in:
Transmission operations/maintenance (lucrative) - NETA certifications (level 2 to 4).
Design - AutoCad GIS certification from a college/Polytechnic/uni. AutoCad lays the foundation for other industry softwares from GE, Siemens, ABB, Schneider, Eaton etc.
Cost Engineering - AACE CPP.
Project Management - PMP.
Power generation/Automation (lucrative) - Power Engineering certifications (2nd to 4th class) or a diploma.
Controls - Instrumentation diploma.

Most importantly, you have to network and endeavor to attend career events for professionals working in your industry.

So thankful for your quick response.

My experience is in maintenance ( Asset Condition monitoring specialist/ reliability engineering). Do you recommend a Canadian diploma too. Then which field /certification would make it faster in getting a good paying job
--------I would have prefered online certification.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WaleCanada: 10:21pm On Oct 01, 2019
Hello friends, happy independence and a favorable new month ahead. I'll be a permanent resident in a couple of weeks. My question goes thus;

My first degree is chemistry education (Bsc ed). I taught for a couple of months before securing a job in broadcasting. Then i had an MBA and the education degree has been relegated to the background since then.

However, a friend told me teaching jobs are quite lucrative in canada and its a plus for me. I'd like to confirm how true that is from peeps that have already landed, and if that's the case, are there any documents/certifications/memberships that would be advisable i secure here in naija before crossing to canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 10:57pm On Oct 01, 2019
keleto:

So thankful for your quick response.

My experience is in maintenance ( Asset Condition monitoring specialist/ reliability engineering). Do you recommend a Canadian diploma too. Then which field /certification would make it faster in getting a good paying job
--------I would have prefered online certification.
I can't think of any certification for Asset management or reliability engineering either required/or listed as an added asset for jobs in your field.
You will need the experience in the field plus the regular Elect Eng degree (EIT, PEng) or diploma in Elect Eng tech (CET, A.ScT etc. If the engineering regulatory bodies do not accept HND, the engineering tech regulatory bodies will accept it). You might be able to find an online certification from a Canadian institute of learning that could help employers look favourably at your resume. Bow Valley college for example has a continuing education program in Asset Maintenance for Plant engineers, techs and specialists in Canada.

As per getting a diploma. it depends on your career goals and aspirations. Some get jobs without having to go back for a diploma while some only get good jobs after. I can't say if you should get one. College application fees are cheap. You can apply a year before the start of the diploma program, while still actively searching for jobs. At least you have that one year to test the job market before considering going back to school. However, If you decide to get a diploma, endeavor to attend a program that offers a co-op option.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.