Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,931 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (223) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2194711 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheCongo2: 10:58pm On Oct 13, 2019
Coolmedown:

Wow! Thank you for this quick response. As per career path, I'm a bank employee in Nigeria ("banker"wink but I don't know whether it will be easy to get a bank job over there. What does it require to work as a bank employee and are they paid well in Canada?. I have over 10 years experience.

A number of banks offer entry level jobs such as credit analysts, customers service .... the pay can be around $20 to $25 per hour.
And once you are in, you can navigate to your field of expertise.

If you are lucky enough, they may hire you directly in your field as we have seen it on this thread

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Coolmedown: 11:07pm On Oct 13, 2019
TheCongo2:

A number of banks offer entry level jobs such as credit analysts, customers service .... the pay can be around $20 to $25 per hour.
And once you are in, you can navigate to your field of expertise.

If you are lucky enough, they may hire you directly in your field as we have seen it on this thread

God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mbhs139(m): 1:11am On Oct 14, 2019
smartgenius:
I also landed in September. I stay in down town Toronto. Nice and cool but mainly whites and Chinese residents. Are there any nairalanders living close to Young and Eglington? We could meet up.

I work at Yonge and Eglinton �
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 40manlappy: 3:20am On Oct 14, 2019
Coolmedown:

Wow! Thank you for this quick response. As per career path, I'm a bank employee in Nigeria ("banker"wink but I don't know whether it will be easy to get a bank job over there. What does it require to work as a bank employee and are they paid well in Canada?. I have over 10 years experience.
Websites such as Glassdoor, Indeed, etc. should give you an idea of salaries. Just open your mind to the possibility of starting from entry level.

Canadian banks use different names for entry level roles such as “Customer Service Representative”, “Financial Service Representative”, “Banking Advisor”, etc. This may give you ideas for your search.

Being “paid well” is relative but note that generally, bankers here don’t get higher pay relative to other professions unlike what is obtainable in Nigeria.

Also, note that N300,000 is approximately CAD1,100 which a CSR may be making here bi-weekly smiley

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:25am On Oct 14, 2019
Coolmedown:
Hello Everyone,

I need serious advice from experienced people especially those who left Nigeria for greener pastures in Canada. I have a job that pays me little above N300k monthly in Nigeria with additional annual allowance of about N900k. I have a wife with 4 kids. I have been considering relocating to Canada with my family but I am not sure whether I can get a job that can sustain my family. I do not want to take decision that I will regret in future but I really want to give my children good education with better opportunity thereafter. Should I quit my job and relocate or send only my family to Canada while I continue my work in Nigeria and just be visiting them from time to time?

And do you feel your wife will get a good job in canada? Because your 300k salary will probably not be enough for even rent. Your wife will have to fend for the family. Your naira will be virtually useless to them.

4 children. Even someone with monthly salary of 2m will hesitate before undertaking such a venture.

Working 40 hours per week at 10 dollars per hour = $1600 monthly = 448,000.

I wonder if your wife is aware you intend sending her to come and become a single mother of 4 in a country where childcare costs can wreck someone. If she's aware and yet doesn't mind, then let her just prepare to go into childcare. Add 2 children to her own and open dayhome.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:28am On Oct 14, 2019
40manlappy:

Websites such as Glassdoor, Indeed, etc. should give you an idea of salaries. Just open your mind to the possibility of starting from entry level.

Canadian banks use different names for entry level roles such as “Customer Service Representative”, “Financial Service Representative”, “Banking Advisor”, etc. This may give you ideas for your search.

Being “paid well” is relative but note that generally, bankers here don’t get higher pay relative to other professions unlike what is obtainable in Nigeria.

Also, note that N300,000 is approximately CAD1,100 which a CSR may be making here bi-weekly smiley

He just wants to send his wife to suffer on top 300k that's not even sufficient to live comfortably in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:34am On Oct 14, 2019
jhoci:
They actually do enjoy it, especially my mum who has arthritis. It's quite stressful getting around these big airports on their own. They've done it before and are quite grateful for the option of being "chauffeured" around.

Thanks for sharing the tip jor. Very essential. I mentioned to someone today and she said she always does it, though most times her mom is too full of energy to sit in the wheelchair lol. The chair sha follows her around.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 7:35am On Oct 14, 2019
Coolmedown:
Hello Everyone,

I need serious advice from experienced people especially those who left Nigeria for greener pastures in Canada. I have a job that pays me little above N300k monthly in Nigeria with additional annual allowance of about N900k. I have a wife with 4 kids. I have been considering relocating to Canada with my family but I am not sure whether I can get a job that can sustain my family. I do not want to take decision that I will regret in future but I really want to give my children good education with better opportunity thereafter. Should I quit my job and relocate or send only my family to Canada while I continue my work in Nigeria and just be visiting them from time to time?
I thought I should weigh in on this. Considering your circumstances, I believe you should jump on this move ASAP, that's if age is still on your side. 300k with a wife and 4 kids can barely sustain you all. I assume your wife brings something to the table as well or you have other alternative sources of revenue. I earn over 400k every month and my wife a little close to 200k. No kids yet but once that visa lands, I won't think twice my brother.
I think what you're battling with is the fear of leaving the known for the unknown. If you plan it well, with God on your side. You go dey alright.

Please perish the thought of sending your wife and kids. Come here (my mind don dey Canada,lol) first and clear the ground and let them come join you later. Make up your mind fast. An opportunity must be grabbed in the lifetime of that opportunity.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by okokobiokoman: 9:23am On Oct 14, 2019
What is the rent like?
smartgenius:
I also landed in September. I stay in down town Toronto. Nice and cool but mainly whites and Chinese residents. Are there any nairalanders living close to Young and Eglington? We could meet up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jemidun: 12:25pm On Oct 14, 2019
solos007:
Yeah, Regina is a cool city...had to visit the company's Datacenter 2 weeks ago... smiley

No signs of traffic anywhere? I'm excited.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Influential101: 1:26pm On Oct 14, 2019
19CannyMum:

He just wants to send his wife to suffer on top 300k that's not even sufficient to live comfortably in Abuja.
Lol..take it easy with him.. He probably thinks 300k is big money..

@coolmedown, remove the thought of sending your wife and kids first to Canada because your 300k can't even afford a good monthly accommodation for them, how much more other expenses. You'll also need like 2 months salary atleast for just a return ticket to visit them.. You either go alone first or you all go together..

Either way, just begin the process first.. when you've your visa, then you can make better decisions.. I wish you the best.. smiley smiley

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Licious07(f): 2:09pm On Oct 14, 2019
Coolmedown:
Hello Everyone,

Hmmmm,my brother...I earn close to 1 mill a month here in Naija and as I type this,I am seriously praying and fasting for my delayed PPR. I will resign the moment I get my COPR. So having said this,I'll advice you to rethink and enter the Pool asap before it's too late.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ramj: 2:21pm On Oct 14, 2019
Landing Gist Mega Ultra Long post Alert

Get something to munch and drink...

So to the Glory of God we became Permanent Residents on 8th October 2019.

Rewind mode - it has been like forever that we got PPR (Feb 28, 2019) while COPR came back from Accra (Mar 20, 2019).

So indeed it was a long but very important wait for this very day almost 8 months after. Thank you Jesus.

Landing Gist – [b]Lesson # 1 [/b]Prepare Prepare Prepare – Even then it might still not be enough, prepare all the same.

It is almost always not an emergency unless you make it one. Even if you fly frequently please prepare. First time travelers please prepare more, you have children then prepare even much more. The journey itself is very long, whether Lufty, ET or EA.

We booked our flight via Ethiopian Airlines on the 26th of May and then life continued.

RamjMrs resigned since August to start prep and get handy with tailoring, as for me my last day at work was actually 4th of October. However, technically it was 27th of September.
One week before departure we left our base in Lagos, all 5 bags were packed (80% set) and items to cargo were 70% set as well. All load were moved to our friends place from where we would leave for the airport the next Sunday

We went to Abeokuta to rest and say goodbyes; Abeokuta is our core root….. Indeed we rested and it was a nice week.

October 6, 2019
We returned to Lagos on the 6th to fly on the 7th and God continued his work in Lagos my car was inches away from being rammed into by a fully loaded water tanker. I was shaking like a jelly fish – one day to travel OLUWA ooo. Got home tensed. Alas the last minute packing I wanted to avoid we ended up doing but thank God 80% was sorted over a week before.

October 7, 2019 - The day
As expected we woke up a tad tired but today na today. A dear friend turned sister came visiting that morning; great to have you around Adetutu. We got to the airport around 9am to sort check in and all, I don’t like drama - all bags were properly weighed at home. The only food in the bags was Golden Morn and Ofada rice for our host (our own food items would come via cargo). So check in was pretty breeze. RamjMrs went to Port Health to get their fit to fly in addition to the one we got from our doctor.

Got to the airport ahead of our family members while waiting the following happened – one of the 2 cars experienced overheating, as they packed to check the other car got impounded for parking. They left the car with my 2nd Dad to sort; on their way my mother in law fell down had serious bruises and dislocated her toe. She had to go to port health to get checked.
The devil really raised his ugly head twice in 2 days that we know but Victory is ours Amen.

We got to check in around 9:45am, Ethiopian Airlines stand felt light, it seems people didn’t travel much that day - the fares for that date got pretty more expensive quite early – I enjoyed the empty seats

So after all airport proceeding were done my mum raised the motion for us to start going – then you know what happened next - rivers of tears starting flowing left right and centre; MIL, Wife, her aunts and cousins, the river of emotions got to my normally superstrong mum and that was where it ended. Actor no dey cry na. Somehow I just felt super okay and just comforted everyone, we prayed and we all walked down to the final bus stop a few more pictures, down the aisle and off we went. RamjJnr was just super excited as if he knew a new phase was about to begin he was running just about everywhere, he joy was uncontainable.

Little tips
My take if you want to cargo please cargo. If you excess bag can be pretty expensive $200-$250 (72,000-90,000) for extra luggage of 23kg.

Flying can be very tiring. Avoid last minute packing, get to the airport early. Be in Lagos at least a day to your flight if outside Lagos or ABUJA and get to the Airport early.

Don’t hope and pray their won't be traffic. Just do what you need to do.

Relocating is not going in holiday, you will need empty the house: to sell or give out things. They don't happen overnight please do all these things early.

Nothing is ever cast in stone but with proper preparation we can do away with unnecessary drama. Once again if you wanna Cargo please Cargo and more importantly let it not be at the airport that you will see that you have excess luggage. Also please don’t hope that they will let your overweighed bag pass – wrong move . Extra luggage costs money prepare for it or cargo. No Complains.
Vammozzzzzzz

The Flight
We cleared immigration smoothly with the usual happy Monday greetings but nothing dropped – if you know you know. We boarded around 1pm – my normal in-flight ritual after the doors are closed is to take a walk round the entire plane to see where the empty rows are – so I can sleep well. Thankfully, this flight had enough empties so les Ramjs moved from our location and colonized 2 rows to ourselves – it was indeed nice. Food was okay – I went for Beef the other Ramjs went for Chicken and it was better. By the way we got Chicken at KFC at the duty free area but it was drama getting it on board – RamjMrs had to be begging and all; left to me I would have just had us eat one each and trash the rest. Also when we needed to heat the chicken in the kitchen in the planes the crew members said it’s not allowed to bring it in. So decide.

We landed in Bole Intl airport there was long human traffic queuing for connection flight – Indeed EA has taken over African Skies. Good for us, people with immediate connecting flights were given preference. We cleared and it was time for the really long 15+ hours’ leg of the journey to YYZ, Canada.

This time the flight was very full, however I still did my usual checked. Although no 3 seats were empty but there were rows with just 1 person so that was it this time. We took turns on the journey to enjoy the space. And I must say 19months old RamjJnr really enjoyed himself he slept a lot walked about a bit and enjoyed his CocoMelon. RamjMrs too didn’t carry last neither did I. Did I also mention that I took it upon myself to read the Alberta Diverd handbook on the plan – I managed just about half of the pdf and it was a good plan.
About 30 minutes to landing at YYZ lil Ramj got a bit cranky but we could manage that – Glory to God he coroporated.

The landing at Dublin was very very hard, but we were off again after the refueling and cabin crew change. Next before long we were approaching YYZ. Finally we are here all Glory to God.
Lading card was filled on-board FX declared and dairy product (baby milk – it was cleared).

Entry to Canada – the toughest phase

There were no queues at all when we got to the first CBSA officer, he checked our papers and said WELCOME to CANADA.
He directed us to the inner or secondary inspection area for COPR stamping and to finish the landing procedures. With just about 15 people on the line it took about 3 hours to get to our turn – RamjMrs was seated or let me say chasing RamjJnr all over the place - by the time we left there everyone knew one great boy was around – super active, over excited all together.
While the long flight was relaxing and fun, I must say that all the freshness from the flight was zapped away at YYZ as we waited to stamp COPR. When we finished with landing procedures we had 20 minutes to connecting flight ( won’t be enough time to get back, and visit customs) so we waited to do our SIN at the Service Canada desk which was just in the place where COPR was stamped. 10 minutes later SIN was done. We left there over tired. The flight to Canada was nice smooth and we came out fresh but YYZ took that all away in 3 hours.

We went to get our bags, got a potter to help us for $14, got to customs to declare funds and also sign good to follow list and we got our receipt - If you have goods to follow kindly check the box – Do you have unaccompanied goods – in the landing card. If not you might not be directed to where the Goods To Follow list will be stamped.

Finally we went to Air Canada flight was rescheduled to 2:45pm which was just about 1hr30 minutess away.

We stepped out of the airport to enjoy a bit of the Toronto 18 degree before heading for the Snowy West of Canada.

InFlight tips

Always check if there are empty seats and enjoy it. You are not the only one on the look-out- move early.

Never get hungry in the plane, visit the kitchen there are usually things they can give you, fruits, sandwiches, more drinks. Please don’t just seat down, ask and you shall be given. Also if you are good at chatting cabin crew always appreciate it. Some people the kitchen is their home on the plane…..

YYZ – YYC
The plane was very fully as in full. While waiting to board announcements were made to volunteer to check in carry-ons I didn’t even think twice. We were all now very tired no thanks to YYZ. Smaller plane no empty seats we just managed till we got to Calgary and right from the air it was all white and bless God it was a snowy Tuesday in Calvary Calgary.

Got down claimed all bags and waited for our host and my dear friend – Sarah. Both cars shared our bags and off we went. We got welcomed with the infamous Jollof rice and chicken – it was really nice and yummy though.

It feels great to be finally in our new country and we all shall enjoy it in Jesus name. Amen

Whatever stage you are in Eyes on the Prize – Don’t give up. IELTS, ECA, PNP route, PPR wait Waiting to land – Please eyes on the prize

I just return all Glory to God – the new phase beings

Post Landing

We were indoors all through Wednesday, 9th October – booked appointment with RBC for next day. Thursday was first day out, Bank accounts opened; Health Card registered for and got a temporary SIM Card in RamjMrs’ phone to at least communicate go out without being blind – data is needed for public transport, for uber. In the words of Airtel – Data is Life

On Friday I went to all the providers available except Chatr and Public (3G alone). The plan from Virign, Fido and Koodo were at par - Samsung A50, 4GB and unlimited call and text. After deliberating and checking, I decided to settle for Koodo. On Saturday I went to sign up and activate then they said activation not completed – why? Another credit check on Telus (their parent company) was detected that I should come back in a few weeks.
No time to waste time Fido won and Best Buy gave me $100 gift card but I had to make a $200 to make up for no credit history in Canada.

Its been great so far – weather is mild cold but Saturday was great. Thanksgiving holiday would give us time to step back a bit and take it all in again.

The journey has been great but there is another phase ahead.

Next in line a visit to CCIS and other support services, house checks, jobs search continues, Class 7 Knowledge test preparation – public transportation is not well developed in Calgary at least I can say this – a car is a necessity – if you have a family it become much more important.

It is indeed another phase. One Victory only opens doors to another challenge and we shall overcome.

To be continued…

120 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bekayy: 2:49pm On Oct 14, 2019
Thank you. This is very detailed. All the very best.

Ramj:

To be continued…
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chibede: 3:12pm On Oct 14, 2019
pleasae how long will it take for your health card to be ready for use
Ramj:

Rewind mode - it has been like forever that we got PPR (Feb 28, 2019) while COPR came back from Accra (Mar 20, 2019).

So indeed it was a long but very important wait for this very day almost 8 months after. Thank you Jesus.

Landing Gist – [b]Lesson # 1 [/b]Prepare Prepare Prepare – Even then it might still not be enough, prepare all the same.

It is almost always not an emergency unless you make it one. Even if you fly frequently please prepare. First time travelers please prepare more, you have children then prepare even much more. The journey itself is very long, whether Lufty, ET or EA.

We booked our flight via Ethiopian Airlines on the 26th of May and then life continued.

RamjMrs resigned since August to start prep and get handy with tailoring, as for me my last day at work was actually 4th of October. However, technically it was 27th of September.
One week before departure we left our base in Lagos, all 5 bags were packed (80% set) and items to cargo were 70% set as well. All load were moved to our friends place from where we would leave for the airport the next Sunday

We went to Abeokuta to rest and say goodbyes; Abeokuta is our core root….. Indeed we rested and it was a nice week.

October 6, 2019
We returned to Lagos on the 6th to fly on the 7th and God continued his work in Lagos my car was inches away from being rammed into by a fully loaded water tanker. I was shaking like a jelly fish – one day to travel OLUWA ooo. Got home tensed. Alas the last minute packing I wanted to avoid we ended up doing but thank God 80% was sorted over a week before.

October 7, 2019 - The day
As expected we woke up a tad tired but today na today. A dear friend turned sister came visiting that morning; great to have you around Adetutu. We got to the airport around 9am to sort check in and all, I don’t like drama - all bags were properly weighed at home. The only food in the bags was Golden Morn and Ofada rice for our host (our own food items would come via cargo). So check in was pretty breeze. RamjMrs went to Port Health to get their fit to fly in addition to the one we got from our doctor.

Got to the airport ahead of our family members while waiting the following happened – one of the 2 cars experienced overheating, as they packed to check the other car got impounded for parking. They left the car with my 2nd Dad to sort; on their way my mother in law fell down had serious bruises and dislocated her toe. She had to go to port health to get checked.
The devil really raised his ugly head twice in 2 days that we know but Victory is ours Amen.

We got to check in around 9:45am, Ethiopian Airlines stand felt light, it seems people didn’t travel much that day - the fares for that date got pretty more expensive quite early – I enjoyed the empty seats

So after all airport proceeding were done my mum raised the motion for us to start going – then you know what happened next - rivers of tears starting flowing left right and centre; MIL, Wife, her aunts and cousins, the river of emotions got to my normally superstrong mum and that was where it ended. Actor no dey cry na. Somehow I just felt super okay and just comforted everyone, we prayed and we all walked down to the final bus stop a few more pictures, down the aisle and off we went. RamjJnr was just super excited as if he knew a new phase was about to begin he was running just about everywhere, he joy was uncontainable.

Little tips
My take if you want to cargo please cargo. If you excess bag can be pretty expensive $200-$250 (72,000-90,000) for extra luggage of 23kg.

Flying can be very tiring. Avoid last minute packing, get to the airport early. Be in Lagos at least a day to your flight if outside Lagos or ABUJA and get to the Airport early.

Don’t hope and pray their won't be traffic. Just do what you need to do.

Relocating is not going in holiday, you will need empty the house: to sell or give out things. They don't happen overnight please do all these things early.

Nothing is ever cast in stone but with proper preparation we can do away with unnecessary drama. Once again if you wanna Cargo please Cargo and more importantly let it not be at the airport that you will see that you have excess luggage. Also please don’t hope that they will let your overweighed bag pass – wrong move . Extra luggage costs money prepare for it or cargo. No Complains.
Vammozzzzzzz

The Flight
We cleared immigration smoothly with the usual happy Monday greetings but nothing dropped – if you know you know. We boarded around 1pm – my normal in-flight ritual after the doors are closed is to take a walk round the entire plane to see where the empty rows are – so I can sleep well. Thankfully, this flight had enough empties so les Ramjs moved from our location and colonized 2 rows to ourselves – it was indeed nice. Food was okay – I went for Beef the other Ramjs went for Chicken and it was better. By the way we got Chicken at KFC at the duty free area but it was drama getting it on board – RamjMrs had to be begging and all; left to me I would have just had us eat one each and trash the rest. Also when we needed to heat the chicken in the kitchen in the planes the crew members said it’s not allowed to bring it in. So decide.

We landed in Bole Intl airport there was long human traffic queuing for connection flight – Indeed EA has taken over African Skies. Good for us, people with immediate connecting flights were given preference. We cleared and it was time for the really long 15+ hours’ leg of the journey to YYZ, Canada.

This time the flight was very full, however I still did my usual checked. Although no 3 seats were empty but there were rows with just 1 person so that was it this time. We took turns on the journey to enjoy the space. And I must say 19months old RamjJnr really enjoyed himself he slept a lot walked about a bit and enjoyed his CocoMelon. RamjMrs too didn’t carry last neither did I. Did I also mention that I took it upon myself to read the Alberta Diverd handbook on the plan – I managed just about half of the pdf and it was a good plan.
About 30 minutes to landing at YYZ lil Ramj got a bit cranky but we could manage that – Glory to God he coroporated.

The landing at Dublin was very very hard, but we were off again after the refueling and cabin crew change. Next before long we were approaching YYZ. Finally we are here all Glory to God.
Lading card was filled on-board FX declared and dairy product (baby milk – it was cleared).

Entry to Canada – the toughest phase

There were no queues at all when we got to the first CBSA officer, he checked our papers and said WELCOME to CANADA.
He directed us to the inner or secondary inspection area for COPR stamping and to finish the landing procedures. With just about 15 people on the line it took about 3 hours to get to our turn – RamjMrs was seated or let me say chasing RamjJnr all over the place - by the time we left there everyone knew one great boy was around – super active, over excited all together.
While the long flight was relaxing and fun, I must say that all the freshness from the flight was zapped away at YYZ as we waited to stamp COPR. When we finished with landing procedures we had 20 minutes to connecting flight ( won’t be enough time to get back, and visit customs) so we waited to do our SIN at the Service Canada desk which was just in the place where COPR was stamped. 10 minutes later SIN was done. We left there over tired. The flight to Canada was nice smooth and we came out fresh but YYZ took that all away in 3 hours.

We went to get our bags, got a potter to help us for $14, got to customs to declare funds and also sign good to follow list and we got our receipt - If you have goods to follow kindly check the box – Do you have unaccompanied goods – in the landing card. If not you might not be directed to where the Goods To Follow list will be stamped.

Finally we went to Air Canada flight was rescheduled to 2:45pm which was just about 1hr30 minutess away.

We stepped out of the airport to enjoy a bit of the Toronto 18 degree before heading for the Snowy West of Canada.

InFlight tips

Always check if there are empty seats and enjoy it. You are not the only one on the look-out- move early.

Never get hungry in the plane, visit the kitchen there are usually things they can give you, fruits, sandwiches, more drinks. Please don’t just seat down, ask and you shall be given. Also if you are good at chatting cabin crew always appreciate it. Some people the kitchen is their home on the plane…..

YYZ – YYC
The plane was very fully as in full. While waiting to board announcements were made to volunteer to check in carry-ons I didn’t even think twice. We were all now very tired no thanks to YYZ. Smaller plane no empty seats we just managed till we got to Calgary and right from the air it was all white and bless God it was a snowy Tuesday in Calvary Calgary.

Got down claimed all bags and waited for our host and my dear friend – Sarah. Both cars shared our bags and off we went. We got welcomed with the infamous Jollof rice and chicken – it was really nice and yummy though.

It feels great to be finally in our new country and we all shall enjoy it in Jesus name. Amen

Whatever stage you are in Eyes on the Prize – Don’t give up. IELTS, ECA, PNP route, PPR wait Waiting to land – Please eyes on the prize

I just return all Glory to God – the new phase beings

Post Landing

We were indoors all through Wednesday, 9th October – booked appointment with RBC for next day. Thursday was first day out, Bank accounts opened; Health Card registered for and got a temporary SIM Card in RamjMrs’ phone to at least communicate go out without being blind – data is needed for public transport, for uber. In the words of Airtel – Data is Life

On Friday I went to all the providers available except Chatr and Public (3G alone). The plan from Virign, Fido and Koodo were at par - Samsung A50, 4GB and unlimited call and text. After deliberating and checking, I decided to settle for Koodo. On Saturday I went to sign up and activate then they said activation not completed – why? Another credit check on Telus (their parent company) was detected that I should come back in a few weeks.
No time to waste time Fido won and Best Buy gave me $100 gift card but I had to make a $200 to make up for no credit history in Canada.

Its been great so far – weather is mild cold but Saturday was great. Thanksgiving holiday would give us time to step back a bit and take it all in again.

The journey has been great but there is another phase ahead.

Next in line a visit to CCIS and other support services, house checks, jobs search continues, Class 7 Knowledge test preparation – public transportation is not well developed in Calgary at least I can say this – a car is a necessity – if you have a family it become much more important.

It is indeed another phase. One Victory only opens doors to another challenge and we shall overcome.

To be continued…

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 3:27pm On Oct 14, 2019
Coolmedown:
Hello Everyone,

Your monthly income is approximately #400,000? And you're a family of 6?

Guy abeg come over ASAP.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cormung: 3:28pm On Oct 14, 2019
For me the hardest thing was finding friends. Now apps like outist.co exist and it's quite easy to find some people to hang out with but at the time I moved to Canada I didn't have any of those and my colleagues didn't share my interests so I ended up spending all my spare time sitting at home alone.

12 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chibede: 3:35pm On Oct 14, 2019
salford1:

I thought this was Europe for a minute.
The 2nd and 4th pics looked like street/road in Manchester or London.
please do you know how
long it takes for a newly landed PR in calgary to get his health card ready for use,that is from the day he applies for the health card

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheCongo2: 4:26pm On Oct 14, 2019
19CannyMum:

And do you feel your wife will get a good job in canada? Because your 300k salary will probably not be enough for even rent. Your wife will have to fend for the family. Your naira will be virtually useless to them.

4 children. Even someone with monthly salary of 2m will hesitate before undertaking such a venture.

Working 40 hours per week at 10 dollars per hour = $1600 monthly = 448,000.

I wonder if your wife is aware you intend sending her to come and become a single mother of 4 in a country where childcare costs can wreck someone. If she's aware and yet doesn't mind, then let her just prepare to go into childcare. Add 2 children to her own and open dayhome.

19CannyMum:

I am of the belief that it can be done.
A single mother with 4 kids will get around 2000 Canadian dollars each month in child care benefits.
Adding to that, there are many other government benefits she will qualify for.

He may consider sending his family to a location where rent is very cheap.

That was my 2 cents.

@Coolmedown

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:27pm On Oct 14, 2019
chibede:

please do you know how
long it takes for a newly landed PR in calgary to get his health card ready for use,that is from the day he applies for the health card

I was told that if you go to some registries you can get the number instantly. The number is all you need. Card follows in the mail.

The registry i used could not give me number instantly. Before my card came I had a medical emergency and the hospital attended to me. Apparently my registration was already on the system so they even gave me the healthcare number.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:43pm On Oct 14, 2019
TheCongo2:

I am of the belief that it can be done.
A single mother with 4 kids will get around 2000 Canadian dollars each month in child care benefits.
Adding to that, there are many other government benefits she will qualify for.

He may consider sending his family to a location where rent is very cheap.

That was my 2 cents.

@Coolmedown

Yes it can be done, but to the detriment of the mother's well being. Single mothers of one are struggling. Single motherhood is tough even with money!

Come and be single mother of 4 as if you're a widow. No househelp, no family. Imagine how that woman will carry those children when she needs to go shopping.

2k subsidy from gov't will pay rent. She needs a 2 or 3br because of the rules surrounding sharing of rooms. If she chooses to work, calculate how much she'll be paying for after school or day care. So she'll have to rely on subsidy and benefits. That's why i suggested a dayhome because it will save all those additional costs and she'll still make money.

Let me list the benefits in Alberta
CCB 2k
ACB 300
GST
AFETC won't qualify
Climate change won't qualify

So income of 2,300 for family of 5. Meanwhile from morning till night she's chasing after kids, no assistance. Cannot go out or take a break. Living a low income life and counting every penny.

Note that if her children are older she won't get up to 2k... That 500 per child is for children under 3 years or so. The amount reduces as children get older.

For me the most painful aspect is that this man wants to put his wife through such hell because of 300k job.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 14, 2019
[quote author=Ramj post=83129124]Landing Gist Mega Ultra Long post Alert

Congrats @Ramj...all the best!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ramj: 4:49pm On Oct 14, 2019
chibede:
pleasae how long will it take for your health card to be ready for use

Health Card number will be ready few days after registration and with that you can access medicals readily. The card itself will be ready in like 2 weeks.

Je m'appele Ramj
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solos007: 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jemidun:

No signs of traffic anywhere? I'm excited.

Yeah...when I asked the question at my office over there what rush hour is like?...they all laughed at me and answered with "we don't have a rush hour but we have rush minutes and it is usually at lunchtime cos people go home for lunch most times"... cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheCongo2: 4:58pm On Oct 14, 2019
19CannyMum:

Yes it can be done, but to the detriment of the mother's well being. Single mothers of one are struggling. Single motherhood is tough even with money!

Come and be single mother of 4 as if you're a widow. No househelp, no family. Imagine how that women will carry those children when she needs to go shopping.

2k subsidy from gov't will pay rent. She needs a 2 or 3br because of the rules surrounding sharing of rooms. If she chooses to work, calculate how much she'll be paying for after school or day care. So she'll have to rely on subsidy and benefits. That's why i suggested a dayhome because it will save all those additional costs and she'll still make money.

Let me list the benefits in Alberta
CCB 2k
ACB 300
GST
AFETC won't qualify
Climate change won't qualify

So income of 2,300 for family of 5. Meanwhile from morning till night she's chasing after kids, no assistance. Cannot go out or take a break. Living a low income life and counting every penny.

Note that if her children are older she won't get up to 2k... That 500 per child is for children under 3 years or so. The amount reduces as children get older.

For me the most painful aspect is that this man wants to put his wife through such hell because of 300k job.

@Coolmedown , given the above analysis it would be best if you travel as a family.

A 300k job isn't worth it for you to stay behind.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chibede: 7:13pm On Oct 14, 2019
19CannyMum:

I was told that if you go to some registries you can get the number instantly. The number is all you need. Card follows in the mail.

The registry i used could not give me number instantly. Before my card came I had a medical emergency and the hospital attended to me. Apparently my registration was already on the system so they even gave me the healthcare number.
By the Grace of God i intend moving to Calgary via express entry PR by January and hope to give birth via C-Section in February,do you know how much it will cost me even with the health card which i hope will be available before i give birth
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chibede: 7:14pm On Oct 14, 2019
Ramj:

Health Card number will be ready few days after registration and with that you can access medicals readily. The card itself will be ready in like 2 weeks.

Je m'appele Ramj
By the Grace of God i intend moving to Calgary via express entry PR by January and hope to give birth via C-Section in February,do you know how much it will cost me even with the health card which i hope will be available before i give birth
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mepconsultant: 7:23pm On Oct 14, 2019
Hi all, Happy Thanksgiving day to us all.

If NE Calgary is your preferred location, a room (out of 3 BD house) is available for rent at a reasonable price. You can send me a dm if interested. Very good location.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 7:40pm On Oct 14, 2019
chibede:

With your healthcard? Lol.

My sister, even the pant you will wear in hospital will be free. You pay for nothing.

Okay if you have a car you have to pay for parking. Parking is not free in hospitals.

Immediately you arrive get a family doctor wey sabi who will then refer you to a gyn. Getting a gyn under such short notice can be tough sometimes. I know someone who could not get doctor, had to go and cry in emergency till a gyn agreed to handle her case.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chibede: 8:29pm On Oct 14, 2019
19CannyMum:

My sister, ever the pant you will wear in hospital will be free. You pay for nothing.

Okay if you have a car you have to pay for parking. Parking is not free in hospitals.

Immediately you arrive get a family doctor wey sabi who will then refer you to a gyn. Getting a gyn under such short notice can be tough sometimes. I know someone who could not get doctor, had to go and cry in emergency till a gyn agreed to handle her case. My family doctor was able to refer me within 2 weeks of arriving.
thanks for the reply,i may need you to help me with a family doctor when i come.we do not know anyone in calgary.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Holarh: 9:45pm On Oct 14, 2019
19CannyMum:

My sister, ever the pant you will wear in hospital will be free. You pay for nothing.

Immediately you arrive get a family doctor wey sabi who will then refer you to a gyn. Getting a gyn under such short notice can be tough sometimes. I know someone who could not get doctor, had to go and cry in emergency till a gyn agreed to handle her case. My family doctor was able to refer me within 2 weeks of arriving.
Hello 19cannymum, Please i need more info on this. Landing in yyc on 30th and wifey due not much after. I have sent you PM please.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 9:55pm On Oct 14, 2019
chibede:

please do you know how
It's been a while I left Calgary. I am not sure tbh. I don't even know if they still give out the health card paper at a registry.

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Rapture07, SexyDuby(f)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.