Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (222) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2191198 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ahiboilandgas: 6:24pm On Oct 12, 2019
maternal:

I always tell my people the Canadian society is negro proof. Whatever shady/ illegal nonsense you try in naija, don't try in Canada. People who aren't qualified for express entry are using the school route to try to enter canada. The Canadian government isn't stupid.
then why are the school dishing out admission to Nigeria (illegals) Abi they are just collecting application fees,visa fees and smiling to the bank ...they should stop the post gradute work visa
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by smartkester(m): 8:38pm On Oct 12, 2019
maternal:

It's easier to get admission and a study visa in the U.K. Why not try there ?
yeah it's easier to get UK study visa but what's the fate of one after the study?
UK immigration policies are quite stiff, getting a work permit and permanent residency after study is almost close to impossible, I stand to be corrected though
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 11:15pm On Oct 12, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
then why are the school dishing out admission to Nigeria (illegals) Abi they are just collecting application fees,visa fees and smiling to the bank ...they should stop the post gradute work visa

Admission from the university and immigration visa are two different things.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 11:17pm On Oct 12, 2019
smartkester:
yeah it's easier to get UK study visa but what's the fate of one after the study?
UK immigration policies are quite stiff, getting a work permit and permanent residency after study is almost close to impossible, I stand to be corrected though

Exactly and they know this. A Nigerian who comes to Canada will stay. So people who can't or aren't qualified for EE try to use the school route to migrate pernamentally. It's not really meant for that. So hence the high rate of rejection.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jen2praise(f): 11:19pm On Oct 12, 2019
Landed in Canada in Oct. Cold windy breeze

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solidhomes: 12:18am On Oct 13, 2019
jen2praise:
Landed in Canada in Oct. Cold windy breeze

Snow even. I landed in September.

Any new Nigerian PR in Regina, Saskatchewan?

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 13, 2019
I also landed in September. I stay in down town Toronto. Nice and cool but mainly whites and Chinese residents. Are there any nairalanders living close to Young and Eglington? We could meet up.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solidhomes: 1:27am On Oct 13, 2019
smartgenius:
I also landed in September. I stay in down town Toronto. Nice and cool but mainly whites and Chinese residents. Are there any nairalanders living close to Young and Eglington? We could meet up.

It's same here, Indians and Filipinos. How has it been with work and all?

It will be great to meet Nairalanders in Regina.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:51am On Oct 13, 2019
solidhomes:

It's same here, Indians and Filipinos. How has it been with work and all?

It will be great to meet Nairalanders in Regina.
I got a job in 2 weeks.
Regina is a great place too. I remember I once wanted to study at University of Regina.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solos007: 2:35am On Oct 13, 2019
Yeah, Regina is a cool city...had to visit the company's Datacenter 2 weeks ago... smiley

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solos007: 2:37am On Oct 13, 2019
Beautiful!..ain't it?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solidhomes: 4:00am On Oct 13, 2019
solos007:
Beautiful!..ain't it?

It's cool. Where in Regina do you live? I've never been to these areas in your pictures.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solidhomes: 4:01am On Oct 13, 2019
smartgenius:

I got a job in 2 weeks.
Regina is a great place too. I remember I once wanted to study at University of Regina.

That's great. I'm exploring going to school too. Yet to decide what course to do as U of R and Saskpoly do not offer the course I really want.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solos007: 4:29am On Oct 13, 2019
solidhomes:

It's cool. Where in Regina do you live? I've never been to these areas in your pictures.

I was only there for an official assignment. I live in GTA Ontario smiley smiley but I don't mind me a little bit of Regina every now and then wink wink...Love the Stakes!! grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Debsify: 7:55am On Oct 13, 2019
solos007:
Yeah, Regina is a cool city...had to visit the company's Datacenter 2 weeks ago... smiley
Why are the roads looking deserted?

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hadampson(m): 9:29am On Oct 13, 2019
Debsify:

I noticed it too. Maybe it's because of the small population smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Timbuktu14(m): 11:01am On Oct 13, 2019
Hadampson:

I noticed it too. Maybe it's because of the small population smiley
You don leave Germany thread come here? grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 12:04pm On Oct 13, 2019
smartgenius:

Downtown Toronto? I thought people dread that that side cause of the cost of living? I really like downtown but afraid is catching me. Lol

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 12:06pm On Oct 13, 2019
solos007:
Beautiful!..ain't it?

Awesome... but where's everybody? undecided

Is it really that "empty"?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bawss1(m): 1:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
etrange:

Awesome... but where's everybody? undecided

Is it really that "empty"?

Depends on the time the picture was taken.

More photos of "deserted" streets but this time from Montreal

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bawss1(m): 1:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
Random mural I found interesting.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 2:28pm On Oct 13, 2019
Bawss1:

Cool.

Montreal is so beautiful and Europe-like! Wow!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
Bawss1:

I thought this was Europe for a minute.
The 2nd and 4th pics looked like street/road in Manchester or London.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by solos007: 3:34pm On Oct 13, 2019
Debsify:

It was a Sunday afternoon and besides Regina don't have a lot of people. It is a small city, unlike Saskatoon which is 2 hrs drive from Regina.

And also Regina is the capital of Saskatchewan. So they have that going for them smiley smiley smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Susizo: 3:46pm On Oct 13, 2019
Landing gist (long post alert��)
PPR landed June 20, 2019, with all the excitement we started checking for flights
Meanwhile we were indecisive between Edmonton and Saskatoon..... Fast forward, COPR landed and we decided to book Ethiopian airlines to Edmonton on October 10.
Then we started packing oooo��( d worst part of this gist). It wasnt easy cos i shuttled between Abuja and Ibadan. Didn't stop work until 30th September. We sha kept packing till last day o. Got light weight bags from the 1 and only trusted Musibau. Weighed with the digital weighing belt and only 1 bag was 22kg, the other 5 bags were between 26 and 30kg.... Jesu������ how we for do? Hubby just concluded we will pay for either extra luggage or excess.

So on Thursday 10th October, we headed to the airport by 9am for a 1:40pm flight and got there around 11.30 (thanks to lagos traffic��). The potbellied agric people came and we just sorted them with 1k. We weighed our bags and as expected, 5 were overweight, long story short we dropped some dollars and they allowed us spread some things over our hand luggages. By the time we were done, there was no time to say proper good byes and take pictures.
Ethiopian airlines was good, food was ok, in-flight entertainment ���� kept our daughter busy. The trip from Addis to Toronto is looooooooog o, thank God our daughter was really calm (God answers prayers). Immigration queue long die, as if everybody dey rush into Canada. We weren't asked about POF, he just asked for our COPRs, and address to send PR cards. He then welcomed us.
We missed our connecting flight to Edmonton and was rescheduled for another flight late in the night.
Went to CIBC at the airport, opened account and got some freebies (You can check them too��).
We got to Edmonton 11.30pm 11th October, got to our host's house and orisirisi were waiting for us. We settled for Hot rice, plantain and spicy chicken stew... Thanks you sis and bro��. We haven't done much as its weekend plus Thanksgiving on Monday.

I wanna thank everyone for the help and info along the journey.

Love y'all

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amicdan(m): 4:08pm On Oct 13, 2019
Susizo:
Landing gist (long post alert��)
PPR landed June 20, 2019, with all the excitement we started checking for flights
Meanwhile we were indecisive between Edmonton and Saskatoon..... Fast forward, COPR landed and we decided to book Ethiopian airlines to Edmonton on October 10.
Then we started packing oooo��( d worst part of this gist). It wasnt easy cos i shuttled between Abuja and Ibadan. Didn't stop work until 30th September. We sha kept packing till last day o. Got light weight bags from the 1 and only trusted Musibau. Weighed with the digital weighing belt and only 1 bag was 22kg, the other 5 bags were between 26 and 30kg.... Jesu������ how we for do? Hubby just concluded we will pay for either extra luggage or excess.

So on Thursday 10th October, we headed to the airport by 9am for a 1:40pm flight and got there around 11.30 (thanks to lagos traffic��). The potbellied agric people came and we just sorted them with 1k. We weighed our bags and as expected, 5 were overweight, long story short we dropped some dollars and they allowed us spread some things over our hand luggages. By the time we were done, there was no time to say proper good byes and take pictures.
Ethiopian airlines was good, food was ok, in-flight entertainment ���� kept our daughter busy. The trip from Addis to Toronto is looooooooog o, thank God our daughter was really calm (God answers prayers). Immigration queue long die, as if everybody dey rush into Canada. We weren't asked about POF, he just asked for our COPRs, and address to send PR cards. He then welcomed us.
We missed our connecting flight to Edmonton and was rescheduled for another flight late in the night.
Went to CIBC at the airport, opened account and got some freebies (You can check them too��).
We got to Edmonton 11.30pm 11th October, got to our host's house and orisirisi were waiting for us. We settled for Hot rice, plantain and spicy chicken stew... Thanks you sis and bro��. We haven't done much as its weekend plus Thanksgiving on Monday.

I wanna thank everyone for the help and info along the journey.

Love y'all
Hi madam
Congratulations I rejoice with you.
Please I need to ask few questions sent you a PMS.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SeriaBravo: 4:33pm On Oct 13, 2019
Lets connect
solidhomes:

Snow even. I landed in September.

Any new Nigerian PR in Regina, Saskatchewan?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Debsify: 6:21pm On Oct 13, 2019
solos007:

It was a Sunday afternoon and besides Regina don't have a lot of people. It is a small city, unlike Saskatoon which is 2 hrs drive from Regina.

And also Regina is the capital of Saskatchewan. So they have that going for them smiley smiley smiley
Ohk I see
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Coolmedown: 10:10pm On Oct 13, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I need serious advice from experienced people especially those who left Nigeria for greener pastures in Canada. I have a job that pays me little above N300k monthly in Nigeria with additional annual allowance of about N900k. I have a wife with 4 kids. I have been considering relocating to Canada with my family but I am not sure whether I can get a job that can sustain my family. I do not want to take decision that I will regret in future but I really want to give my children good education with better opportunity thereafter. Should I quit my job and relocate or send only my family to Canada while I continue my work in Nigeria and just be visiting them from time to time?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 10:16pm On Oct 13, 2019
Coolmedown:
Hello Everyone,

I need serious advice from experienced people especially those who left Nigeria for greener pastures in Canada. I have a job that pays me little above N300k monthly in Nigeria with additional annual allowance of about N900k. I have a wife with 4 kids. I have been considering relocating to Canada with my family but I am not sure whether I can get a job that can sustain my family. I do not want to take decision that I will regret in future but I really want to give my children good education with better opportunity thereafter. Should I quit my job and relocate or send only my family to Canada while I continue my work in Nigeria and just be visiting them from time to time?
This is a decision only you can make. One thing is certain, if you are not lazy, you can't go hungry in a developed country. Depending on your skills or career path, you can get a job immediately or months, years after you land.
There are lots of people with wives and kids here with the husband back home in Nigeria or somewhere in the middle East. Canadians sometimes travel for work too leaving family behind atleast till they get a job closer to home. While it's not ideal, it's not uncommon.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jhoci: 10:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
They actually do enjoy it, especially my mum who has arthritis. It's quite stressful getting around these big airports on their own. They've done it before and are quite grateful for the option of being "chauffeured" around.

19CannyMum:

This is a brilliant idea. Do they actually have to sit in the wheelchair? Or they can just walk beside the assistant.

Because I can imagine naija parents being like "you want to turn me to paralysed person"

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Coolmedown: 10:48pm On Oct 13, 2019
salford1:

This is a decision only you can make. One thing is certain, if you are not lazy, you can't go hungry in a developed country. Depending on your skills or career path, you can get a job immediately or months, years after you land.
There are lots of people with wives and kids here with the husband back home in Nigeria or somewhere in the middle East. Canadians sometimes travel for work too leaving family behind atleast till they get a job closer to home. While it's not ideal, it's not uncommon.

Wow! Thank you for this quick response. As per career path, I'm a bank employee in Nigeria ("banker"wink but I don't know whether it will be easy to get a bank job over there. What does it require to work as a bank employee and are they paid well in Canada?. I have over 10 years experience.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: braine(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.