Stats: 3,153,535 members, 7,819,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2193832 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Banks92(m): 7:37pm On Jan 05, 2020
PLSHELEP:
My fellow future Canadians, una well done.

So i recently got PPR and I am trying to obtain as much as possible from this country but departure. I've been thinking, is the CIPM diploma of any relevance whatsoever in Canada (WES evaluated obviously).

I am a HR personnel with more than 4 years of experience but have both my degrees in Engineering. You know the story: life, lemons, lemonade.

Is CIPM relevant in Canada?
Someone please answer.
I am in similar position.
HR personnel with first degree in accounting. I am also completing ICAN this year

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by A14: 7:59pm On Jan 05, 2020
PLSHELEP:
My fellow future Canadians, una well done.

So i recently got PPR and I am trying to obtain as much as possible from this country but departure. I've been thinking, is the CIPM diploma of any relevance whatsoever in Canada (WES evaluated obviously).

I am a HR personnel with more than 4 years of experience but have both my degrees in Engineering. You know the story: life, lemons, lemonade.

Is CIPM relevant in Canada?

My sister has CIPM and she’s also into HR. Sadly, it was never of use to her. She’s gunning for CPHR tho.
But you never know it can come in handy for you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by stonecoldcafe: 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2020
A14:

You can start by reading Millionaire Teacher 2nd ed by Andrew Hallam. As for blogs and podcasts you can check out Build Wealth Canada and Canada Couch Potato.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 9:49pm On Jan 05, 2020
Fyorgyn:

Thanks YoungRx

The strict warning is to those guys who collect thousands of CAD claiming they are "PEBC approved" and should not apply to a Nairaland study group to help each other and share ideas.

This is the disclaimer
"The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada does not endorse any preparatory course of any kind whatsoever, and any pretence by an individual or group in making such a claim is liable to legal prosecution"

There are many paid tutorial classes that are still thriving and there is nothing wrong with them. PEBC is only saying "Don't claim we gave you approval"

The 47% I posted earlier is the average rate from 2015 to 2018. So no be today.

Apologies if I am derailing this thread o but this is a subset of "Living in Canada".

Canadian Pharmacists biko help us as we start this thread. I will be posting the link to the thread once I start it. Thanks

Pls I’m interested in this group. I’m thinking of writing mine in January.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 9:52pm On Jan 05, 2020
nomad26:
The bolded section is inaccurate and very misleading. 730 days in 5 years can be achieved in multiple ways - there is no requirement to stay 5 months in any given year.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2020
nomad26:
The bolded section is inaccurate and very misleading. 730 days in 5 years can be achieved in multiple ways - there is no requirement to stay 5 months in any given year.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 11:58pm On Jan 05, 2020
Banks92:

Someone please answer.
I am in similar position.
HR personnel with first degree in accounting. I am also completing ICAN this year
I don't know if CIPM is useful, but your ICAN is very very very useless and rubbish here.... At least for now

PS:. I have ICAN also

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Petitemommy: 12:08am On Jan 06, 2020
Fyorgyn:
Pharmacists in the house...

Please is there any thread on PEBC Exams here on Nairaland? I did check but did not find much here. There is just so much to read and with a pass rate of 47% (more than half of those who write the exams fail it) it will be great to have a thread where we (Nigerians) could discuss study tips, resources and ideas.

I am happy to start one but need to be sure there isn't one already that I may have missed in my search.

If you are in Alberta, you can join the Directions for immigrants study group.

Are you an internationally educated pharmacist planning to become licensed in Canada? Then you are in the right place: the Directions for Immigrants career service centre.

As a client you have access to a wide variety of career services that are available to you at no cost to help you achieve your employment and licensing goals. Are you ready to benefit from these services? Great, we are also ready to help you!

We offer exam preparation study groups to help you pass the PEBC EE, QEI (MCQ) and QEII (OSCE). We cover everything you need to learn to pass those exams, from competencies to scenarios. Motivated by your success in Canada, we have spent many hours designing review questions, mock quizzes and practice clinical exams. Our sessions are facilitated by licensed pharmacists.

“My experience was amazing! Kudos to Directions for Immigrants” says Jonas, former group participant.

The upcoming study groups start in February 2020. We are already screening candidates, and seats are limited!

Call today to book an appointment to determine your eligibility 403-770-5155.

Don’t forget that we can also assist you with your job search, just ask your career coach for help in setting up an action plan to help you move forward with your employment goal.

Kind regards,
The Directions for Immigrants Team

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Banks92(m): 5:47am On Jan 06, 2020
hayor2014:
I don't know if CIPM is useful, but your ICAN is very very very useless and rubbish here. Stupid, useless professional body..

wow you are in Canada? so what is the way forward
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 06, 2020
Banks92:

wow you are in Canada? so what is the way forward
use the ican to do acca or cima

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chinaza247: 7:52am On Jan 06, 2020
Hello everyone,

Please for Nigerians in Canada what is the pathway for Technicians in Nigeria to blend in Canada. Electrical Technicians specifically. I am an Electrical Technician working for over 4 years now in a drinks manufacturing company. What is the prospect for these kind of job in Canada or similar jobs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 06, 2020
I only know of telegram group. DM.[color=#006600][/color]
Any nova scotia whatsapp link
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 10:44am On Jan 06, 2020
Royalty1:

Thanks Sunshine. But I hear the dried ones might get crushed into powered form. Will that still be useable?

I don't know about been crushed into powder form but the possibility is there. It should still be useable. I have so much dried bitter leaves that I have commenced using some. It is very nice, same with uziza. I haven't tried using my dried Ugwu leaves though

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by COPR2020: 11:02am On Jan 06, 2020
Kekereekun123:
use the ican to do acca or cima

I dont think one can achieve CPA by doing this except he or she will just start Acca or cima from the stratch
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 06, 2020
COPR2020:

I dont think one can achieve CPA by doing this except he or she will just start Acca or cima from the stratch
possible with acca and cima. But you need to register in nigeria and complete the all papers in professional level.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by safex(m): 11:08am On Jan 06, 2020
I don't think it's absolutely useless though. A landed senior once told me one could actually use ICAN to claim CPA exemption in order to write only the final stage. He even mention one particular grant one could take sef. I'm not sure how easy that is though

PS: I'm in the ICAN boat too smiley

hayor2014:
I don't know if CIPM is useful, but your ICAN is very very very useless and rubbish here. Stupid, useless professional body..

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 1:46pm On Jan 06, 2020
Happy New Year folks, looking forward to more landing gists this month. All the best of 2020 to those here in our new home.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 5:02pm On Jan 06, 2020
Chinaza247:
Hello everyone,

Please for Nigerians in Canada what is the pathway for Technicians in Nigeria to blend in Canada. Electrical Technicians specifically. I am an Electrical Technician working for over 4 years now in a drinks manufacturing company. What is the prospect for these kind of job in Canada or similar jobs.
Most of the jobs available for your industry would be in Instrumentation, automation and control, hence, you would need to know your controls and automation like the back of your hands.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ope2000(m): 8:25pm On Jan 06, 2020
How Success is Like a Chinese Bamboo Tree
Chinese Bamboo TreeChinese Bamboo Tree
I know it sounds a little out there but hear me out on this one. This is such a great parable. I don’t know if you’ve heard this story about the Chinese Bamboo Tree before now but this is one of those lessons that really sticks with you. The Chinese Bamboo Tree teaches us success lessons on patience, faith, perseverance, growth & development and most surprising of all… human potential!

The Story of The Chinese Bamboo Tree
Like any plant, growth of the Chinese Bamboo Tree requires nurturing – water, fertile soil, sunshine. In its first year, we see no visible signs of activity. In the second year, again, no growth above the soil. The third, the fourth, still nothing. Our patience is tested and we begin to wonder if our efforts (caring, water, etc.) will ever be rewarded.

And finally in the fifth year – behold, a miracle! We experience growth. And what growth it is! The Chinese Bamboo Tree grows 80 feet in just six weeks!

But let’s be serious, does the Chinese Bamboo Tree really grow 80 feet in six weeks? Did the Chinese Bamboo Tree lie dormant for four years only to grow exponentially in the fifth? Or, was the little tree growing underground, developing a root system strong enough to support its potential for outward growth in the fifth year and beyond? The answer is, of course, obvious. Had the tree not developed a strong unseen foundation it could not have sustained its life as it grew. The same principle is true for people. People, who patiently toil towards worthwhile dreams and goals, building strong character while overcoming adversity and challenge, grow the strong internal foundation to handle success, while get-rich- quickers and lottery winners usually are unable to sustain unearned sudden wealth.

Had the Chinese Bamboo Tree farmer dug up his little seed every year to see if it was growing, he would have stunted the Chinese Bamboo tree’s growth as surely as a caterpillar is doomed to a life on the ground if it is freed from its struggle inside a cocoon prematurely. The struggle in the cocoon is what gives the future butterfly the wing power to fly, just as tension against muscles as we exercise strengthen our muscles, while muscles left alone will soon atrophy.

The Story of The Human Potential Tree (aka You)
The Chinese Bamboo Tree is a perfect parable to our own experience with personal growth and change (whether we are working on ourselves or coaching others). It is never easy. It’s slow to show any progress. It’s frustrating and unrewarding at times. But it is sooooo worth it….especially if we can be patient and persistent.

This is the critical variable in attaining new skills – in developing ourselves and others. It is our ability to stay persistent even when we are unable to see any growth on the surface…. just like the Chinese Bamboo Tree.

The Challenge We Learn from the Chinese Bamboo Tree
Can we stay focused and continue to believe in what we are doing even when we don’t see immediate results? In a culture driven by instant gratification – this is our biggest challenge.

We often tell each other (and our children), remember to “Keep trying! and NEVER give up!” The change may be slow – even invisible at times – but suddenly, as in the case of the Chinese Bamboo Tree, we will surprise ourselves.

Keep your faith in this important work.

We live in a quick-fix society. We get frustrated if we have to wait more than 2 minutes for service or a stop light to change. We want instant solutions to every complex problem and every fractured relationship. In short – we want it all now! Maybe its time to reflect on an old, old poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow that is as true today as it was when he wrote it over 100 years ago:

“The heights by great men reached and kept
Were not attained by sudden flight,
But they, while their companions slept,
Toiled ever upward through the night.”

Final Lesson From The Chinese Bamboo Tree
Yet, all of this requires one thing – faith. The growers of the Chinese Bamboo Tree have faith that if they keep watering and fertilizing the ground, the tree will break through. Well, you must have the same kind of faith in your bamboo tree, whether it is to run a successful business, win a Pulitzer Prize, raise well-adjusted children, or what have you. You must have faith that if you keep making the calls, honing your craft, reading to your children, reaching out to your spouse or asking for donations, that you too will see rapid growth in the future.

This is the hard part for most of us. We get so excited about the idea that’s been planted inside of us that we simply can’t wait for it to blossom. Therefore, within days or weeks of the initial planting, we become discouraged and begin to second guess ourselves, or worse, quit.

Sometimes, in our doubt, we dig up our seed and plant it elsewhere, in hopes that it will quickly rise in more fertile ground. We see this very often in people who change jobs every year or so. We also see it in people who change organizations and even spouses in the pursuit of greener pastures. More often than not, these people are greatly disappointed when their Chinese bamboo tree doesn’t grow any faster in the new location.

Other times, people will water the ground for a time but then, quickly become discouraged. They start to wonder if it’s worth all of the effort. This is particularly true when they see their neighbors having success with other trees. They start to think, “What am I doing trying to grow a Chinese bamboo tree? If I had planted a lemon tree, I’d have a few lemons by now.” These are the people who return to their old jobs and their old ways. They walk away from their dream in exchange for a “sure thing.”

Sadly, what they fail to realize is that pursuing your dream is a sure thing if you just don’t give up. So long as you keep watering and fertilizing your dream, it will come to fruition, just like the Chinese Bamboo Tree. It may take weeks. It may take months. It may even take years, but eventually, the roots will take hold and your Chinese bamboo tree will grow. And when it does, it will grow in remarkable ways.

We’ve seen this happen so many times. Henry Ford had to water his Chinese Bamboo Tree through five business failures before he finally succeeded with the Ford Motor Company. Another great bamboo grower was the legendary jockey Eddie Arcaro. Arcaro lost his first 250 races as a jockey before going on to win 17 Triple Crown races and 554 stakes races for total purse earnings of more than $30 million.

Well, you have a Chinese Bamboo Tree inside of you just waiting to break through. So keep watering and believing and you too will be flying high before you know it.

Did this story of the Chinese Bamboo Tree resonate with you? Do you feel more inspired? What will you start doing differently as a result of this little, yet powerful story of the Chinese Bamboo Tree?

Make life an adventure!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Falexchi: 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2020
[quote author=ebixxx post=85514352][/quote]

Ok. Thank you so much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 1:43am On Jan 07, 2020
safex:
I don't think it's absolutely useless though. A landed senior once told me one could actually use ICAN to claim CPA exemption in order to write only the final stage. He even mention one particular grant one could take sef. I'm not sure how easy that is though

the issue is the number of papers you still have to write... It's as good as not even getting exemption
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nellykuch: 2:30am On Jan 07, 2020

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cosdam1: 5:41am On Jan 07, 2020
Hi people, there is a beautiful bright basement suite available. It’s a 1 Bedroom with dining & living area. It has a separate (side) entrance and parking for 1 car. The living area has a Sofa & coffee table. There is a dining table with chairs. The bedroom has a queen-sized mattress. The bathroom is head over shower. The suite is semi furnished- Fridge, Kitchenette with two burner stove (no Oven), microwave, basic dishes, pots/pan and access to laundry.
This basement suite is situated in South West Calgary. There are 2 CT train stations nearby (5 and 10 minutes’ walk), with a couple of bus stops littered around. The Westbrook Mall (housing Walmart, Dollarama, Family Doctor among other Stores and food outlets) and Nicholls (Public) Library are also nearby. There are also a couple of Banks (RBC, Scotia & TD) in the vicinity. Calgary Police Service, Fire Department and a Registry are less than 5 mins away.
This is available for a monthly contribution of CAD 900 inclusive of the following amenities (Internet, water, heating, electricity).
Please note that smoking (of any kind) and pets are not allowed.
The place is available now.
If interested, kindly contact me directly

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by safex(m): 8:53am On Jan 07, 2020
Chai, nawa o! shocked
hayor2014:
the issue is the number of papers you still have to write... It's as good as not even getting exemption
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tessytessy(f): 11:50am On Jan 07, 2020
Hi Lizzy,

I want to start the exams in May. Please i need some advice. Can i have a phone number or e-mail address please. Thanks.
Livy2018:
Let me step in here, I am also a lawyer writing the NCA in Calgary.

I got my NCA assessment last year Novmeber, before I landed in Calgary in July 2019. To answer your questions:
1. Depending on your NBA branch, for Lagos branch, the letter is addressed to NCA and handed over to you to send by courier yourself. Please note that when sending the letter, use NBA Lagos as the sender, not your name. I know of people whose letters were rejected because they sent the letter using their names. Ideally, the letter should not even be given to you, just like your transcripts, it should be confidential and sent directly by the issuing authority.

2. Law school transcripts will be sent directly to NCA, no interference. Reach out to your contact in Law school, you dont need to travel down.

3. Yes, please. Start the process before you leave Nigeria, so that you can start writing exams as soon as you land, if you choose to. I landed in July and wrote my 1st exam in August, then October and final ones in January. All reading materials can be gotten online and you can start studying before you, land if you have time. Besides, the support system back home is great, unlike here, once you land the rigors and challenges of settling in, looking for accommodation and job, documentations, drivers licence, kids school/daycare etc are not the same as teh ones we face back home.

All the best.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 3:34pm On Jan 07, 2020
Hello house. Please how long does it take for HR personnel to get back to applicants especially in January? Applied to a lot of roles in December but nothing yet and I'm being to freak out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Markab: 4:05pm On Jan 07, 2020
Hello there, recruitment process differs from one organization to other. Based on my personal experience so far in this country, I have come to realize that most companies swiftly extend offer to their most preferred candidates while keeping the others on "waiting list" up until offer is accepted or declined (usually one week grace in Ontario). If offer is accepted, they move on to documentation, and wait for the candidate to resume. If offer is rejected, they move on to the next person and cycle continues. The process is usually wrapped up in less than 5wks for applicant's that are interviewed, if I don't get interviewed after two months of the application deadline, my personal assumption is that my application was not accepted.

You may get auto-generated regret email from the HR system, sometimes 5 months after the closing the exercise for some structured organizations while some would not even get back to you at all. My current Job offer was finalized with one week, same as the previous. I have only experienced delay in my recruitment process one time since I arrived Canada. This was as a result of the acquisition of the recruiting company. The process took longer than usual because it had to be reviewed by the parent company, headquarted in Italy. As a matter of fact, I took a fresh aptitude test, another round of interview on skype with the Italy folks after previously meeting with the VP and EVP of the acquired company based in the US grin. It took like 8 weeks in total, guess what, I declined the offer cheesy. I no get time for wahala biko!

CAVEAT: My analysis is solely directed to experienced position, not entry level or graduate positions. I understand those usually take longer time than usual. smiley

Jbelieve:
Hello house. Please how long does it take for HR personnel to get back to applicants especially in January? Applied to a lot of roles in December but nothing yet and I'm being to freak out.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 4:35pm On Jan 07, 2020
Markab:
Hello there, recruitment process differs from one organization to other. Based on my personal experience so far in this country, I have come to realize that most companies swiftly extend offer to their most preferred candidates while keeping the others on "waiting list" up until offer is accepted or declined (usually one week grace in Ontario). If offer is accepted, they move on to documentation, and wait for the candidate to resume. If offer is rejected, they move on to the next person and cycle continues. The process is usually wrapped up in less than 5wks for applicant's that are interviewed, if I don't get interviewed after two months of the application deadline, my personal assumption is that my application was not accepted.

You may get auto-generated regret email from the HR system, sometimes 5 months after the closing the exercise for some structured organizations while some would not even get back to you at all. My current Job offer was finalized with one week, same as the previous. I have only experienced delay in my recruitment process one time since I arrived Canada. This was as a result of the acquisition of the recruiting company. The process took longer than usual because it had to be reviewed by the parent company, headquarted in Italy. As a matter of fact, I took a fresh aptitude test, another round of interview on skype with the Italy folks after previously meeting with the VP and EVP of the acquired company based in the US grin. It took like 8 weeks in total, guess what, I declined the offer cheesy. I no get time for wahala biko!

CAVEAT: My analysis is solely directed to experienced position, not entry level or graduate positions. I understand those usually take longer time than usual. smiley

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PLSHELEP: 4:47pm On Jan 07, 2020
Thanks, I will consider sitting for the CHRP or CPHR exam when i land.

A14:

My sister has CIPM and she’s also into HR. Sadly, it was never of use to her. She’s gunning for CPHR tho.
But you never know it can come in handy for you.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Boss13: 5:47pm On Jan 07, 2020
safex:

Not possible. There is no mutual agreement between ICAN and CPA. Dont always take the words of people literally. Go to CPA Canada website for relevant information.

Those who have ICAN should not be discouraged. Certification is important but not a guarantee to land a job. If you have relevant experience in the field you seek a job, you can still get employed without certification. Once in the job, then you can seek out relevant certification. In fact, it's better to land than obtaining multiple certifications that you may not need.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kemi913: 5:59pm On Jan 07, 2020
Hello,

Could anyone please help with who FRSC should address the letter to for Toronto, Ontario?

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kemi913: 6:11pm On Jan 07, 2020
Hello, Please who should the FRSC address the letter to for Toronto, Ontario?

TheCongo2:

If you have been driving for at least 3 years, yes you will need the FRSC letter in Ontario.
Else, if your driving record is less than 3 years, the FRSC letter become irrelevant.

Last year I took a Nigerian couple to get their driver's licenses at Service Ontario.
The wife was about 4 weeks short of reaching her 3 years driving record mark.
The clerk at Service Ontario explained to her that she had a choice of returning after 4 weeks so that the FRSC letter could be taken into consideration. Else, Service Ontario wasn't going to consider the FRSC letter. The lady had to return to Service Ontario after reaching her 3 year Nigerian driving anniversary

***** Edit: cheromel indicated that he was able to use his FRSC letter in Toronto with 26 months driving record. It may be that the rule had changed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97