Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (329) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2193923 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by asla007: 8:02pm On May 03, 2020
That’s pricey
Kekereekun123:
cheesy 3500 usd for private plane. About 2500usd for Ethiopian airlines charter. For me am staying put till airspace opens
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 9:38pm On May 03, 2020
Kekereekun123:
cheesy 3500 usd for private plane. About 2500usd for Ethiopian airlines charter. For me am staying put till airspace opens

2500 is reasonable. Last I heard was 5k.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by behati: 11:16pm On May 03, 2020
gsade:

But I have scoured through my returns and I dont see any such impact anywhere in mine though. Further, as far as I know the tax credits are all tied to things done in Canada. I can only see under-reporting income earned before one becomes a permanent resident being profitable for only new immigrants (not while filing tax returns but when you come in and file world income when applying for child care subsidy or child tax benefits). Aside from that, I do not see how income relating to a period one is not a resident in canada would impact benefit entitlement when filing tax returns after one has become taxable in Canada. However, you do have to report income earned in Nigeria while you are taxable in Canada.

I dont think the system is built to capture this income at the point of filing taxes. That is y as a new immigrant the federal and provincial non-refundable tax credits are pro rated too. For example, even if you land in Canada say September 2019 and start working from September 2019 till December 31, 2019. Your non-refundable tax credit would be pro rated to the amount of months you were taxable in Canada, about 4 months.

The only problem is that I am not sure why Turbo Tax bothers to ask that question. May be it is a question that is supposed to simply be checked against the information you submitted for your world income report when applying for child tax benefit and child subsidy as a new immigrant. My 2 cents.

@ your last paragraph, there is a reason Turbo Tax and the other service providers require that information. Like i said earlier, you would not see the amount on your tax returns but it influences how much personal federal tax credits you are entitled to which in turn influences your refund/amount owing. I've filed my taxes and that of some others myself and i am 100% certain it impacts your tax refund. Please see screenshot below from CRA website and let me know if you still hold your opinion.

It's always best to declare your full income and let them decide what to do with that information.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hephgirl: 1:28am On May 04, 2020
Strolling by... I'm just hailing o

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gsade: 2:10am On May 04, 2020
behati:

@ your last paragraph, there is a reason Turbo Tax and the other service providers require that information. Like i said earlier, you would not see the amount on your tax returns but it influences how much personal federal tax credits you are entitled to which in turn influences your refund/amount owing. I've filed my taxes and that of some others myself and i am 100% certain it impacts your tax refund. Please see screenshot below from CRA website and let me know if you still hold your opinion.

It's always best to declare your full income and let them decide what to do with that information.

Reading this, I agree. Yes, I did read this particular information but I did not interpret it like this. And my experience may be justifies my interpretation. Now, it is from this information that I figured that one cannot claim all of the non-refundable tax (the 12k) and that it would be pro rated. You are correct. It reminds me of something that happened when I was filing my returns. Before I supplied my income from when I was not resident, turbo tax was applying the full credit and I knew it could not be. So I went back to fill that out and then turbo applied the pro rated tax credit. To that extent I do accept your position, when I think about it,
But again, I do retain some misgivings. While the above was true for me, my wife had no non-resident income and so reported 0 income in that non-resident part of the year but yet she could not claim the full non-refundable tax. We were given the same pro rated amount from the data we landed in Canada. This is something I cannot explain, are you able to shed some light on this in case you know why this was this case for her too?

Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AngelSpace(f): 6:58am On May 04, 2020
Well, it's a charter plane from Lagos to Toronto. It's 3,500 per adult and 3,000 per kid above 2, infants fly free. You can let me know if you are interested so I send you the contact details. Date is tentative but the plan is to flu this week.
asla007:
That’s pricey
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AngelSpace(f): 7:09am On May 04, 2020
There is a charter flight. Let me know if you are I interested so I can send you the contact details.
Advantage007:
Help please everyone!!
Is there anyone in this same situation? My COPR is expiring in about a week. I have filled the web-form( about a month ago) and got an uncertain response from IRCC yesterday. The response just says they are making additional verification in order to respond to my enquiry/ request for extension.

I understand the situation is also uncertain, but I no wan carry last o, in case some people have found their way to travel.

Any advice on steps I can take please?
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kaydeee: 10:27am On May 04, 2020
AngelSpace:
There is a charter flight. Let me know if you are I interested so I can send you the contact details.

Interested. Please send more information on this to me. Thanks

Modified: Just saw that the flight you are planning is for this week. Too soon for me
Please let me know if there is any flight planned for June. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Aig842: 11:15am On May 04, 2020
My people, I greet una o, been a long ass minute (2018) . Had to abandon this project for a bit and resumed sometime last year, but yet to get PPR thanks to Accra VO even after a whole year of applying. I still have much more to learn it seems, great to be back here.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Aig842: 11:17am On May 04, 2020
Haaaaaay!!! Busta Rhymes lol how are you and how's Canada treating you? @MummyJaygirls you nko? I still owe you for what you did for me when on my IELTS journey sometime in 2017. Lol e don tey sha
Hephgirl:
Strolling by... I'm just hailing o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AngelSpace(f): 11:27am On May 04, 2020
Hi.
Please check your email. I am trying to contact you.
Thanks
kaydeee:

Interested. Please send more information on this to me. Thanks

Modified: Just saw that the flight you are planning is for this week. Too soon for me
Please let me know if there is any flight planned for June. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kaydeee: 12:10pm On May 04, 2020
AngelSpace:
Hi.
Please check your email. I am trying to contact you.
Thanks

Okay. Will check
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 1:16pm On May 04, 2020
Kekereekun123:
Smart decision. Anyone who lands for the first time this period is in for a rude shock.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ladystone(f): 3:21pm On May 04, 2020
Hello, please does anyone know of any studio or one bed for rent in Calgary? I need help please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nuelnuel: 3:31pm On May 04, 2020
ladystone:
Hello, please does anyone know of any studio or one bed for rent in Calgary? I need help please
Have you tried kijiji? In addition to contacting those that listed rooms for rent, you can also post a "room wanted" ad with with specifications of the type of accommodation you are after and how much you are willing to pay for rent.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ladystone(f): 3:33pm On May 04, 2020
Oh great! I didnt know I could do that . Thank you
nuelnuel:

Have you tried kijiji? In addition to contacting those that listed rooms for rent, you can also post a "room wanted" ad with with specifications of the type of accommodation you are after and how much you are willing to pay for rent.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Horlalaykon: 4:30pm On May 04, 2020
A room is available in the building I live. The apartment is fully furnished and located in the North East of Calgary. If you are interested, you can send a mail to the landlady [email removed]
ladystone:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 4:31pm On May 04, 2020
AZeD1:

Smart decision. Anyone who lands for the first time this period is in for a rude shock.

Why please?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cutebabe50: 5:17pm On May 04, 2020
Hi @angelspace, I’m interested in the Canada flight, pls send me more info
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Echinedu1: 5:17pm On May 04, 2020
AZeD1:

What rude shock?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hadampson(m): 5:28pm On May 04, 2020
Blackbuddy:
Toronto at night, Merry Christmas all smiley

Wow.. This is super beautiful cool smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hadampson(m): 5:32pm On May 04, 2020
Godisincontrol:
Merry Christmas from Edmonton

I don miss oh smiley

Just seeing this now.

BTW where is olajide21... Haven't seen his post for a long while. Hope all is well with him?!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 5:41pm On May 04, 2020
SunshineD1:

Why please?
Covid-19
Anyone landing for the first time will have a very hard time doing the basics, getting SIN(most service Canada offices are closed), opening a bank account et al.
In Ottawa, the apartment complexes that currently have vacancies are not doing viewings so you'll basically be renting an apartment without seeing it.

You'll spend so much to accomplish so little especially if you don't have family that can accommodate you.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ladystone(f): 6:04pm On May 04, 2020
Thank you !
Horlalaykon:
A room is available in the building I live. The apartment is fully furnished and located in the North East of Calgary. If you are interested, you can send a mail to the landlady jyang340@gmail.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by triol80t: 6:29pm On May 04, 2020
Pls, I need direction ( I know even know wetin I go call am). I would like awon seniors to please help me on a special situation.

I just discovered citizenship status oo. I am confused on many points as to a place to live, how to move some assets in a lawful manner, and family (madam and bonboy).

I am almost 40 and no so called canadian experience. I would appreciate if what I can do can be suggested. Na Engineering I study for 9ja. I practice as IT engineer, but with lot of training.

I would really appreciate concise advice so that I dont mess up. I have tried reading as much as possible since last week I discovered this thread.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AngelSpace(f): 8:01pm On May 04, 2020
I think it is all perspective and I also have faith in the fact that what you believe will come to you.
Even is there was no COVID issue, airbnb is an option and you can stay there till you get on your feet. I know someone who got landed in March and has gotten a job in his field.
SIN can be registered for online now, a bank account can be opened without visiting the bank. You might just have to wait to make deposits.
Truth is, be hopeful. The economy wont be fully awake for many months but it wont deter our lot.

AZeD1:

Covid-19
Anyone landing for the first time will have a very hard time doing the basics, getting SIN(most service Canada offices are closed), opening a bank account et al.
In Ottawa, the apartment complexes that currently have vacancies are not doing viewings so you'll basically be renting an apartment without seeing it.

You'll spend so much to accomplish so little especially if you don't have family that can accommodate you.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 8:14pm On May 04, 2020
AngelSpace:
I think it is all perspective and I also have faith in the fact that what you believe will come to you.
Even is there was no COVID issue, airbnb is an option and you can stay there till you get on your feet. I know someone who got landed in March and has gotten a job in his field.
SIN can be registered for online now, a bank account can be opened without visiting the bank. You might just have to wait to make deposits.
Truth is, be hopeful. The economy wont be fully awake for many months but it wont deter our lot.

As of March, many companies were still hiring, now they are laying off workers.
Anyone who wants to risk it should do so.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 8:26pm On May 04, 2020
AngelSpace:

I'm addition to what AZed already metioned, it can be tough to get some jobs during this period especially if we are to go by the news and the mandatory 2 weeks quarantine for people traveling into Canada, slow services, etc

However, I like your faith and optimism. I agree that people are still getting jobs, and the economy is still moving ahead. I wish you the very best in whatever decision you make as per landing or not landing at this time.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 12:44am On May 05, 2020
AZeD1:

Covid-19

Yeah... This is expected. We hope covid-19 packs its load and vamoose soon. Amen

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 3:26am On May 05, 2020
AngelSpace:

I applaud your optimism and encourage it. Positivity is over important. But note that optimism won't change the reality that this is a very very difficult period. Of course people are getting jobs, but people are also losing their jobs. So tay even walmart was making shakara with jobs.

Thank God for CERB and other government interventions sha, but this is a tough season for most, talkless of those not yet established.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Issyman(m): 3:39am On May 05, 2020
Hadampson:

I don miss oh smiley

Just seeing this now.

BTW where is olajide21... Haven't seen his post for a long while. Hope all is well with him?!

@olajide21 is doing great.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hadampson(m): 7:20am On May 05, 2020
Issyman:

@olajide21 is doing great.

Glad to hear that. Kindly extend my greetings to him smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.