Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (338) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2192113 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 8:11pm On Jun 09, 2020
Fortissimo502:

cheesy Yeah the enforcement will likely come after taxes have been filed next year so if someone received it while being unqualified, the best bet is to payback before December 31 as earlier advised (so no T4 is generated for it).

It's so funny how even the government can suddenly do an about-face. At first they were so docile about the whole thing.
I guess the program was abused too much. Tons of people working were also collecting the CERB.
I guess they were worried the conservatives might use it against them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 8:29pm On Jun 09, 2020
salford1:

I guess the program was abused too much. Tons of people working were also collecting the CERB.
I guess they were worried the conservatives might use it against them.
Yeah exactly. It's the conservatives that are really fighting for it. Because the initial legislation doesn't even have a clause for criminal prosecution and all that. I'm also wondering the legality of a law being passed after the fact. Would it apply only to people who fraudulently apply after the law is passed? I'd think so. What do you think? The original and current legislation only provides for people being forced to payback in full. No fines, no penalties, no jail.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2020
Fortissimo502:

Yeah exactly. It's the conservatives that are really fighting for it. Because the initial legislation doesn't even have a clause for criminal prosecution and all that. I'm also wondering the legality of a law being passed after the fact. Would it apply only to people who fraudulently apply after the law is passed? I'd think so. What do you think? The original and current legislation only provides for people being forced to payback in full. No fines, no penalties, no jail.
Yes I just read in the link where the conservatives were the one that pushed for the bill.

I am not sure how the law would be interpreted or applied. However, the said applicants who "made". Does this mean it would also be retroactively? I do not know to be honest. Global only got a draft version of the document, but it also mentioned that the legislation is meant to fill some of the gaps in the existing rule which I believe you are referring to. The bill would be tabled tomorrow.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 9:06pm On Jun 09, 2020
salford1:

Yes I just read in the link where the conservatives were the one that pushed for the bill.

I am not sure how the law would be interpreted or applied. However, the said applicants who "made". Does this mean it would also be retroactively? I do not know to be honest. Global only got a draft version of the document, but it also mentioned that the legislation is meant to fill some of the gaps in the existing rule which I believe you are referring to. The bill would be tabled tomorrow.
Ok makes sense. It'll be really interesting to see how this pans out. I know NDP is kicking against it.

Edit: I just read an article on the globe and mail and it appears that a section of the punishment might be retroactive. It looks like the main gripe conservatives are having is about people that refused to go back to work. That seems to be where the retrospective penalties will apply.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 10:43pm On Jun 09, 2020
Fortissimo502:

Ok makes sense. It'll be really interesting to see how this pans out. I know NDP is kicking against it.

Edit: I just read an article on the globe and mail and it appears that a section of the punishment might be retroactive. It looks like the main gripe conservatives are having is about people that refused to go back to work. That seems to be where the retrospective penalties will apply.
Who knows? The whole set up was not perfect to begin with, but there were caveats. It was based on being honest, and the PM did mention at the start that anyone committing fraud will be found out - CRA has everyone's SIN.

I read about families on six figures income without loss of jobs applying as they saw it as a form of free loan due to the return clause. Some people got their mortgage applications declined due to dishonesty when the bank's underwriters found out they were collecting CERB while still working full time. I read somewhere that certain people were even applying with their children's details - not sure how that is even possible. Majority of applicants were honest, but then a few are out to defraud the system..

The NDP are not totally opposed to the development. They are just worried of people that might even fall through the cracks as a result of fines. The legislation will be made clearer when the MPs deliberate on it tomorrow. The numbers of conservatives and liberal MPs in the house will make it easy to pass. Fingers crossed.

In my opinion, I don't see how they can send people to jail except those that went overboard with the illegal CERB claims. If illegal deposits are not returned at a set time, fines are possible and easiest way to recover the funds would be via holding on to refunds, gst credits, garnish wages e.t.c.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Passerby2(f): 10:32am On Jun 10, 2020
Hello everyone.

Pls , I have a question.

I'm a Pharmacist but I'm considering a career merge/ switch to Human resources management on arrival in Canada. I've started an online Diploma in HR but I have no work experience at all.
How possible, workable and realistic is this switch?
Thank you in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 2:30pm On Jun 10, 2020
Passerby2:
Hello everyone.

Pls , I have a question.

I'm a Pharmacist but I'm considering a career merge/ switch to Human resources management on arrival in Canada. I've started an online Diploma in HR but I have no work experience at all.
How possible, workable and realistic is this switch?
Thank you in anticipation.
Nothing is impossible. People switch careers all the time in Canada. I have a colleague who has CPA-CMA accounting qualifications. She spent an additional 4 years at SAIT and U of C to get an engineering degree. She is now an Engineer-in-training.

Modified: She was an accountant for 10 years before switching careers.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by XX01(f): 3:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
I'm worried about the clause that said people can be arrested if they turn dow reasonable job offer. If you don't feel safe enough to go to work, maybe the commute, the office environment hasn't been optimized, etc, should they be forced back to work?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 3:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
salford1:

Who knows? The whole set up...

cheesy omo. It's well. Let's see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 3:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
XX01:
I'm worried about the clause that said people can be arrested if they turn dow reasonable job offer. If you don't feel safe enough to go to work, maybe the commute, the office environment hasn't been optimized, etc, should they be forced back to work?

Don't worry. Nobody is going to jail. grin Let the bill get passed first.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hotmomma(f): 5:12pm On Jun 10, 2020
salford1:

have a colleague who has CPA-CMA accounting qualifications. She spent an additional 4 years at SAIT and U of C to get an engineering degree. She is now an Engineer-in-training.

I really like the way you give calming answers to people's questions here. God bless you Sir.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 5:46pm On Jun 10, 2020
hotmomma:

I really like the way you give calming answers to people's questions here. God bless you Sir.
God bless you too Ma.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 5:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
XX01:

The legislation says individuals in that category include those who “fail to return to work when it is reasonable to do so and the employer makes a request for their return; fail to resume self-employment when it is reasonable to do so; or decline a reasonable job offer when they are able to work.”
I guess that is where the reasonable to do so comment comes in. Employees would still have the right to refuse unsafe work.

I do not think the legislation has anything to do with a turning down reasonable job offer. The $2000 is for 4 months except the government extends the program. It's is better to have a job than relying on a payment that has an expiry date.

Asper the jail, who ever gets arrested has to be very crooked for that to happen. I don't see them sending the average Canadian to jail. Based on the amount of fraud committed, it would be too expensive for the government.

The legislation may or may not pass. No one knows for now. They might just return to the status quo.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 8:20pm On Jun 10, 2020
God don better some asylum seekers' breads cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by femcold: 8:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
Hello All,
I had my COPR before March 18th but unfortunately because of the lockdown, we couldn’t travel and all subsequent efforts didn’t play out the way we wanted...Long story short, we have a new addition to our family and we raised cse...We are suppose to submit baby’s medical, application fee and international passport... But due to the lockdown, we can’t get pass port at the moment..Now my question is can we use the baby’s Official Beirut cert to submit the online documentation while we r processing the passport
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 9:43pm On Jun 10, 2020
Well, salford surprisingly it appears both the ndp and the conservatives kicked against the cerb amendment. I've looked at the proposed bill and the penalties are retroactive while the fine and imprisonment won't be retroactive.
It's just a funny situation. If you see the comments on Twitter ehn? Canadians aren't smiling at all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 9:48pm On Jun 10, 2020
Fortissimo502:
Well, salford surprisingly it appears both the ndp and the conservatives kicked against the cerb amendment. I've looked at the proposed bill and the penalties are retroactive while the fine and imprisonment won't be retroactive.
It's just a funny situation. If you see the comments on Twitter ehn? Canadians aren't smiling at all.
Suprised conservatives kicked against it since Sheer was the one complaining most about fraud. cheesy. That means it returns to the way it was then.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 9:48pm On Jun 10, 2020
salford1:

I guess that is where the reasonable to do so comment comes in. Employees would still have the right to refuse unsafe work.

I do not think the legislation has anything to do with a turning down reasonable job offer. The $2000 is for 4 months except the government extends the program. It's is better to have a job than relying on a payment that has an expiry date.

[b]Asper the jail, who ever gets arrested has to be very crooked for that to happen. [/b]I don't see them sending the average Canadian to jail. Based on the amount of fraud committed, it would be too expensive for the government.

The legislation may or may not pass. No one knows for now. They might just return to the status quo.

I agree. They might actually be targeting those syndicates that commit large scale fraud like the issue that happened in the States that hushpuppi is currently embroiled in.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 9:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
Conservatives might vote against it because of the clause added for the extension of wage subsidy for businesses.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 9:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
Fortissimo502:

I agree. They might actually be targeting those syndicates that commit large scale fraud like the issue that happened in the States that hushpuppi is currently embroiled in.
Yeah. Those ones are significant crimes.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 9:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
salford1:

Suprised conservatives kicked against it since Sheer was the one complaining most about fraud. cheesy. That means it returns to the way it was then.
cheesy the Libs would probably come up with a softer amendment. There's some other covid related legislation that they want to pass that is contained in the bill. I think they want to give seniors some money and stuff like that.

There are even talks of a cerb extension for another couple of months. See ehn everyone is going to have to tighten their belts after this is over. Government is really spending.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 9:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
salford1:
Conservatives might vote against it because of the clause added for the extension of wage subsidy for businesses.
True, that makes sense.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 10:05pm On Jun 10, 2020
Fortissimo502:

cheesy the Libs would probably come up with a softer amendment. There's some other covid related legislation that they want to pass that is contained in the bill. I think they want to give seniors some money and stuff like that.

There are even talks of a cerb extension for another couple of months. See ehn everyone is going to have to tighten their belts after this is over. Government is really spending.
The amendment could be likened to solving an advance calculus problem. NDP wants the CERB extension, Liberal wants to give the disabled more money, Bloc gave some conditions that would be impossible to meet. The conservatives on the other hand seems confused and not sure of what they actually want. This minority government is one kain. E get as e be. Slow progress would be made on a lot of issues.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 10:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
salford1:

The amendment could be likened to solving an advance calculus problem. NDP wants the CERB extension, Liberal wants to give the disabled more money, Bloc gave some conditions that would be impossible to meet. The conservatives on the other hand seems confused and not sure of what they actually want. This minority government is one kain. E get as e be. Slow progress would be made on a lot of issues.

cheesy Yeah the minority government is a big factor. I honestly don't envy Trudeau right now. Juggling all this chaos is not easy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 1:03pm On Jun 11, 2020
Fortissimo502:

cheesy Yeah the minority government is a big factor. I honestly don't envy Trudeau right now. Juggling all this chaos is not easy.
Just seeing the attached. Apparently, some people that erroneously applied or double dipped have been paying back. The practice is still the easiest way and most cost effective. CERB claimants would be issued T4s anyway, and they would be owing for excess payment or overpayment when they file 2020 taxes.

I am suprised the Liberal could be pushing for penalties. This is unusual for the Liberal party, or is there something they are hiding? Why are they trying to add fines or jail terms in a pandemic? Like you earlier mentioned, I hope dem hush puppies type gengs haven't been keeping themselves busy with CRA grin

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phemmy26(m): 1:48pm On Jun 11, 2020
Everygirl:
Lol, I think we have all asked for this but I am not sure one exists as no one has ever responded as far as I know.

Maybe one of us will start one ourselves just that we are all newbies so not sure how useful we will be to each other grin

send me a dm....ill tell the admin to add u
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phemmy26(m): 1:49pm On Jun 11, 2020
UXC007:
grin in short the thing tire me...

I have searched and searched through the thread, called two different person.. No luck. I even joined the Edmonton group....(shout out to that group, they are on fire)

Oya oh @Everygirl I nominate you start one. I go follow market the group oh smiley. Rome was not built in a day. I'm certain our Calgary elders will have mercy and join the group. wink

hi, send me a dm....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chigora: 1:56pm On Jun 11, 2020
Please, for someone that has Master in Social Work in Nigeria, what is his job prospects in Canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Richdee1(m): 5:42pm On Jun 11, 2020
[quote author=chigora post=90553018]Please, for someone that has Master in Social Work in Nigeria, what is his job prospects in Canada [/quote

Social work is one if the short changed job in Canada and is part if NOC Canada with the code 4125.. check for it.. go tru the express entry and ask ur questions

Well you can apply from Nigeria but like I was told to get job from.Nigeria is like looking for a needle inside a river.. Hope u have experience??

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Linsigne(m): 6:27pm On Jun 11, 2020
salford1:

Just seeing the attached. Apparently, some people that erroneously applied or double dipped have been paying back. themselves busy with CRA grin

Pls sir how do i get across to you to ask u some personal questions
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 7:33pm On Jun 11, 2020
Linsigne:

Pls sir how do i get across to you to ask u some personal questions
Send me an email. Regards.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 7:39pm On Jun 11, 2020
chigora:
Please, for someone that has Master in Social Work in Nigeria, what is his job prospects in Canada
The people I know with degree(s) in Social Work are employed by the Government of Alberta. NDP recruited a lot of Social Workers when they were in government.

Check the link below:

https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupation-profiles/social-worker/

It discusses the career, requirements and the outlook for social workers. I can't tell for other provinces. They should all be similar though.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: kadreeG7(m), tensazangetsu20(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.