Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (351) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2188246 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eddy4400: 7:28pm On Jul 08, 2020
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:14pm On Jul 08, 2020
Someone might be interested in this.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 8:22pm On Jul 08, 2020
oscar4lyf:
Good evening all, pls can it be possible or luck will be on one's side, someone in Nigeria will apply to a company in Canada for a job, and the company will recommend and do all the necessary papers including visa for the person to come over??
possible but very rare. if you were the employer would you want to do such when there are many Canadians and or on the ground that can resume tomorrow unlike you that will take like 6 to 1 year to come plus expenses to be incurred too? Unless you have a special skill people on ground don't have. reason am

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bamdexfarms(m): 10:19pm On Jul 08, 2020
Good day everyone. I am an undergraduate student in Germany and I plan on moving to Canada as a PR with my family after graduation. Can I apply for masters immediately I get to Canada? And am I qualified for the reduced school fees as a PR?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fizzywah(m): 1:28am On Jul 09, 2020
oscar4lyf:
Good evening all, pls can it be possible or luck will be on one's side, someone in Nigeria will apply to a company in Canada for a job, and the company will recommend and do all the necessary papers including visa for the person to come over??

So I see this often posed as serious fact on many platforms that this easily happens. However, being here for almost 2 years has shown me a different reality. There isn't a shortage of qualified immigrants willing to take on these jobs however it is tough and there are protocols that should be met before looking outside the shores to hire internationally.

And that is why it is very rare to find someone who told you they got a job from the Canadian Job bank. I would put more focus on looking for ways to get here and then get a job, of which they are many waiting to be filled. Here's an official link of information on hiring foreign workers and supporting their immigration to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-foreign-worker.html

Also, don't join the bandwagon of people who say jobs are hard to come by. This is a different country to what we are used to and it's no wonder things are also done differently.

One key advice I'll give to aspiring immigrants and those waiting for the borders to open to come here is to learn how things work here. Don't take the newcomers' programs for granted. They are available for registration for a reason. Now if you haven't met the benchmark to come through Express Entry that's one thing entirely but now even more than before, Canada needs immigrants and is creating diverse ways to ensure people get in and help the aging workforce.

It's best to ask yourself some key questions before leaving Naija and how best you honestly answer those questions will be to your benefit.

Advice on Jobs:
1. Buy courses on MOOC platforms like Udemy and Coursera relevant to the field you're looking to work in. Finish those courses and package your profile with them carefully on LinkedIn.
2. If you've already gotten your CoPR and have bought tickets, change your location on LinkedIn to Canada. That way you can use the coming months before you arrive to build a solid network (This should not be underestimated). What we call Man-know-Man in Naija is also known as Networking here in Canda but without the Nepotism. Before you ask of Racism, Canada cannot be compared to the US, and overall how you carry yourself here professionally matters.
3. I got a job through my Naija network (WhatsApp Group). I swore I would come here and avoid some Naija entities but ended up meeting very well-behaved Nigerians here and through the group, a Job posting gave me my first job, paid way more than I ever got in Nigeria. A little percentage of us bring our razzness here, but they are easily put in place by well-meaning people.
4. If and when you ever get the chance to attend any interview here, please give it your best shot. These guys here love 'Packaging'. For every role you're trying to explain you can handle, please give relatable examples drawn from your previous experience or work from wherever you are coming from.
5. Give your first decent Job 6 months to a year before moving on to something more appropriate or what we Naija will call 'On our level'. Also do not despise humble beginnings here.

I know this answer went off a bit from the original question but in a nutshell, these are my thoughts on Jobs and looking to come here to work. Both ways, these still apply.
I have a YouTube channel now and I'll try to highlight in my videos some of the concerns here. If YouTube is your thing and you'd like to see more of Calgary, Alberta, and hear candid opinions to some of your questions, please Watch, Like, and consider subscribing to the Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4NQWeyMHSvJS6rgO8aK3w

Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions if Calgary is your destination of choice. Even if it's not I'll answer how best I can.

52 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 2:16am On Jul 09, 2020
yokus:
Pls can you explain what you mean by he is the principal application and ... he may take her out?

There is an exception to every rule and if she is a victim of domestic violence. They can never tell her to return to Nigeria. I'm not sure if that's what you mean. People need to behave themselves

She means when they were in Nigeria, the wife had to be cajoled to be patient and tolerate the husband since he is the PA, so he won't yank her from the application. Now they are in Canada, she prays he doesn't misbehave again or the wife might just flip her lid and the man own go kpafuka

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 9ja4eva: 2:17am On Jul 09, 2020
Hello,

Please does anyone know of a guaranteed flight leaving to Canada - July ending or early August?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fizzywah(m): 2:50am On Jul 09, 2020
SunshineD1:

She means when they were in Nigeria, the wife had to be cajoled to be patient and tolerate the husband since he is the PA, so he won't yank her from the application. Now they are in Canada, she prays he doesn't misbehave again or the wife might just flip her lid and the man own go kpafuka

On the flip side too, men have stories to tell. My candid advice is as married couples whatever differences you have back home, please and please settle them thoroughly before coming here.
A few words:

1. For the men, start getting used to doing domestic chores. No maid / house help here. I bathe my kids, get them ready for school when madam has to go to work early in the morning. She picks them up alternatively. Ego will ruin you ( both man and woman). Leave it behind.

2. Women will quickly learn a lot of laws were made here to defend them. Alternatively those same laws easily tear down marriages and it's not just African ones, a lot of Immigrants see their marriages hitting the rocks soon after coming here.

3. Some Ladies and NOT all please, usually love the idea of the benefits of living here in Canada, but hate the responsibilities that come with it.
They still prefer the largess of living in Naija and not having to contribute towards getting things done financially. Why you may ask? Everyone is treated equally here. There is no problem in adopting our African values here if you and your spouse agree. But if the man cleans, cooks, etc then the lady should also contribute in her own way. While this isn't a standard, it might be seen as the sensible thing to do. This is often a slippery topic to discuss but trust me, settle yourselves, and have a written upon and agreed-upon code of conduct before you arrive.

4. Do not have arguments in front of your kids. My 5-year-old possesses a vocabulary to what I could muster at that age as over here they are taught to think independently and express themselves very well.

5. Do not punish yourselves when you have arguments. The police here will help you on the fast track of regrets. Of course, if there is a fear of harm, then please walk away.

6. Just how folks get marriage counseling before marriage, coming to Canada deserves its own session for families coming here. It baffles me when they just show up without any plan on how to Navigate this country.

7. I am still learning and have had to learn some of these lessons the hard way. Mostly by the experience of others and a few times personally.

8. This last one is hard for me to say. Most ladies come here on revenge missions and sadly it's due to some sort of perceived abuse from back home. You see, over here anyone is free to do as they want and if you're the controlling type you'll be in for a big surprise.

Overall sha, use your tongue and count your teeth. Have a solid plan. Repair your marriage. Ask how things are over here. Assume very little.

32 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 3:25am On Jul 09, 2020
To the GTA ladies currently not working but interested in getting into a career in Cybersecurity, the Accelerated Cybersecurity Training Program is now Accepting Applications for the October 2020 cohort of the RBC Women in Cyber Stream!

What is the Accelerated Cybersecurity Training Program?
The program is a 6 month, intensive and accelerated cybersecurity training and certification program, designed to give candidates the skills they need to launch careers in cybersecurity. *The Program is tuition-free and students only pay a minimal registration fee as the cost of the program is covered by our partners.*

Over the course of the program, successful learners will [b]earn two certifications from GIAC (Global Information Assurance Certification) including GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC) and GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH). [/b]These certifications are prominent cybersecurity accreditations that are recognized worldwide.

Click here for registration details https://www.ryerson.ca/cybersecure-catalyst/training-program/apply-now/

5 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oscar4lyf(m): 9:14am On Jul 09, 2020
Fizzywah:

So I see this often posed as serious fact on many platforms that this easily happens. However, being here for almost 2 years has shown me a different reality. There isn't a shortage of qualified immigrants willing to take on these jobs however it is tough and there are protocols that should be met before looking outside the shores to hire internationally.

And that is why it is very rare to find someone who told you they got a job from the Canadian Job bank. I would put more focus on looking for ways to get here and then get a job, of which they are many waiting to be filled. Here's an official link of information on hiring foreign workers and supporting their immigration to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-foreign-worker.html

Also, don't join the bandwagon of people who say jobs are hard to come by. This is a different country to what we are used to and it's no wonder things are also done differently.

One key advice I'll give to aspiring immigrants and those waiting for the borders to open to come here is to learn how things work here. Don't take the newcomers' programs for granted. They are available for registration for a reason. Now if you haven't met the benchmark to come through Express Entry that's one thing entirely but now even more than before, Canada needs immigrants and is creating diverse ways to ensure people get in and help the aging workforce.

It's best to ask yourself some key questions before leaving Naija and how best you honestly answer those questions will be to your benefit.

Advice on Jobs:
1. Buy courses on MOOC platforms like Udemy and Coursera relevant to the field you're looking to work in. Finish those courses and package your profile with them carefully on LinkedIn.
2. If you've already gotten your CoPR and have bought tickets, change your location on LinkedIn to Canada. That way you can use the coming months before you arrive to build a solid network (This should not be underestimated). What we call Man-know-Man in Naija is also known as Networking here in Canda but without the Nepotism. Before you ask of Racism, Canada cannot be compared to the US, and overall how you carry yourself here professionally matters.
3. I got a job through my Naija network (WhatsApp Group). I swore I would come here and avoid some Naija entities but ended up meeting very well-behaved Nigerians here and through the group, a Job posting gave me my first job, paid way more than I ever got in Nigeria. A little percentage of us bring our razzness here, but they are easily put in place by well-meaning people.
4. If and when you ever get the chance to attend any interview here, please give it your best shot. These guys here love 'Packaging'. For every role you're trying to explain you can handle, please give relatable examples drawn from your previous experience or work from wherever you are coming from.
5. Give your first decent Job 6 months to a year before moving on to something more appropriate or what we Naija will call 'On our level'. Also do not despise humble beginnings here.

I know this answer went off a bit from the original question but in a nutshell, these are my thoughts on Jobs and looking to come here to work. Both ways, these still apply.
I have a YouTube channel now and I'll try to highlight in my videos some of the concerns here. If YouTube is your thing and you'd like to see more of Calgary, Alberta, and hear candid opinions to some of your questions, please Watch, Like, and consider subscribing to the Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4NQWeyMHSvJS6rgO8aK3w

Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions if Calgary is your destination of choice. Even if it's not I'll answer how best I can.

thanks very much sir for ur input, I really want to work in Canada, possibly practice my field of study Electrical and instrumentation engineering, but you know most people there handicap is funds to start all this process, so we just hope on a miracle or favour, got HND and B. eng, though finished the latter last year, I'm active on LinkedIn following many job openings there especially entry role and also applying to them, even some in US

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rochella: 9:22am On Jul 09, 2020
Hi,
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 9:50am On Jul 09, 2020
9ja4eva:
Hello,

Please does anyone know of a guaranteed flight leaving to Canada - July ending or early August?
Book from Lome, Togo. Go by road to Togo on a weekday.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jejebabaa: 1:02pm On Jul 09, 2020
Rochella:
Hi,

Please who in Canada needs USD or Naira and can assist to transfer CAD to a Canadian resident? I will transfer the USD or Naira equivalent to your Nigerian bank account. It’s urgent please.

Thank you!
I doubt anyone will do this for you on a faceless forum, you need to contact those that trust and know you personally. A lot of people suffered for sth they did out of help. Illegitimate money and funds being deposited into someone's account by "picker" , fraudsters and yahoo guys has taught a lot of people lesson.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jejebabaa: 1:12pm On Jul 09, 2020
As a muslim, is it possible to marry four wives or bring my 4 wives with me to Canada ?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by flyingpig: 1:26pm On Jul 09, 2020
Jejebabaa:
As a muslim, is it possible to marry four wives or bring my 4 wives with me to Canada ?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rochella: 1:35pm On Jul 09, 2020
Jejebabaa:

I doubt anyone will do this for you on a faceless forum, you need to contact those that trust and know you personally. A lot of people suffered for sth they did out of help. Illegitimate money and funds being deposited into someone's account by "picker" , fraudsters and yahoo guys has taught a lot of people lesson.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 2:33pm On Jul 09, 2020
Jejebabaa:

grin grin grin grin

I believe simultaneous polygamy is illegal. However serial polygamy is okay, so you can simply marry them one by one (though you must divorce one before marrying the next)

As for bringing 4, unfortunately your application only allows for one spouse.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 09, 2020
Jejebabaa:
You never bring one na 4 ...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jejebabaa: 5:53pm On Jul 09, 2020
19CannyMum:

grin grin grin grin

I believe simultaneous polygamy is illegal. However serial polygamy is okay, so you can simply marry them one by one (though you must divorce one before marrying the next)

As for bringing 4, unfortunately your application only allows for one spouse.
Ok thanks for your response. I am just curious how the wealthy Arab Princes are doing it when they move to Canada and USA or is there special privilege and status for them.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by telias: 5:59pm On Jul 09, 2020
telias:
Hello house, has anyone tried to renew or renewed their Nigerian passport recently at Ottawa? Are they open? Is there a specified number of pages like 32 or 64 available at the moment?
Help, anyone done or knows of someone?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 09, 2020
Jejebabaa:

Ok thanks for your response. I am just curious how the wealthy Arab Princes are doing it when they move to Canada and USA or is there special privilege and status for them.
business or investor visa na.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by carissaa(f): 11:28pm On Jul 09, 2020
The funny part is that if she reports now, a lot of people will blame her and call her wicked. People will not see the years of abuse.
SunshineD1:

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Admin9: 11:52pm On Jul 09, 2020
Hello, has anyone here tried visiting a brothel or how do you get hookups in canada?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 12:14am On Jul 10, 2020
Jejebabaa:

To start with, most wealthy Muslims have only one wife. Even in Nigeria. If I'm mistaken please correct me. Just the same way rich people rarely have plenty children.

Secondly there's absolutely no reason why a wealthy Arab will relocate to US or Canada. Makes no sense to me. At most vacation or long visit.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 3:09pm On Jul 10, 2020
9ja4eva:
Hello,

This may help

http://www.nigeriahcottawa.ca/notice/new-itinerary-for-the-evacuation-flight-from-canada-to-nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 9jaman1: 8:17pm On Jul 10, 2020
Can anyone please clarify how I can register with the Ottawa high Commission for the upcoming evacuation flight on July 18th?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 11:00pm On Jul 10, 2020
Hi Guys,

In case there is anyone here who needs Naira. I'm in need of CAD and would like to have a chat with whoever is willing to make an exchange with me. I have about N500k. Please PM me if interested.

Thanks all
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Idemujoseph: 10:47am On Jul 11, 2020
Good morning house! Please, i need clarification on this issue.
I have been self employed since 2018 after graduating from the university. How can I show proof of employment when applying for permanent residence (provincial nominee)?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 10:55am On Jul 11, 2020
Idemujoseph:
Good morning house! Please, i need clarification on this issue.
I have been self employed since 2018 after graduating from the university. How can I show proof of employment when applying for permanent residence (provincial nominee)?
the info is on ircc/ each province website. Google it

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by temmytee1(f): 11:52am On Jul 11, 2020
Hi all,
If anyone needs naira, please DM me i need CAD

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olahtunhy(m): 1:52pm On Jul 11, 2020
Hello Gurus,

Thank you all for the support you’re giving us all to achieve our dreams.
I’m new here aspiring or let me say ready to go with Immigrating to Canada.
I’ve a bachelors degree (human anatomy), 29years of age
I’m newly married
I work in uae as a barista (food counter attendant) for 5 years.
Please I need you gurus advice on which form or path is best for me migrating.
I’m I okay to go with EE
Do I need not to think about EE and go with other programs available
Please help a brother and prosper a life

Thanks all as you see you respond

(1) (2) (3) ... (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.