Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,796 members, 7,817,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (418) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2190067 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sylokobi: 1:38am On Dec 23, 2020
Baiser:
Hey guys, can a newly landed PR use his pof to get a nice ride and start uber?

You can, if you meet the requirements:
1) Meet the minimum age to drive in the Province you are in, have at least one year driving experience and also clear a background check
2) Your drivers license has to be Non GDL
3) Your car must be 10 years or less
4) Register your vehicle for commercial use
5) Get a commercial insurance which would cost more
and other requirements as may be needed.

If you are able to shop and deliver groceries, you can look into Instacart which in my opinion is better.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by isangjohnson: 2:18am On Dec 23, 2020
[quote author=Kekereekun123

Thanks for your response
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by toboy: 3:08am On Dec 23, 2020
QueenJoeffrey:
Hello People
Please is there anyone here who resides in Quebec?
Also can one land in Toronto and move straight to Quebec? Would be glad if I could get responses or someone to ask follow up questions. Thanks
Do you mean Quebec City or Quebec province?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by damzy88: 4:18am On Dec 23, 2020
jjohndoe83:
I just feel like putting this out there for those, who like me at some point, are having doubts about whether or not to move (if Buhari is not enough reason) and that nagging fear of the unknown...I've just been here 3 months, so my experience is only limited to Calgary where I live and may not be broad-based enough, but I can say Canada is not a bed of roses, neither is it a bed of thorns.

If you're humble (and willing to shave off some of the ego that we're conditioned to back home), you will ALWAYS find something to do to pay your bills whilst you work your way to where you want to be, even during this COVID era. So if your concern is immediate survival, you will find something to pay the bills and keep you afloat. Just to give you a clue, between my spouse and I we pull in about $5500 after taxes on our basic jobs (that is we're not working in our fields yet) and we are sorted with change left.

Do not let any stories that you hear discourage you. For every one discouraging story, there are 20 stories of encouragement. Our paths are very different and unique. Keep your faith and optimism intact, Canada can, and will deliver to you what you work for.

Finally, HAVE A REASONABLE AND ACTIONABLE PLAN(S), don't come and coast.

Compliments.
Nice

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by uyaiabasi123: 5:00am On Dec 23, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bravelady: 6:10am On Dec 23, 2020
eclectic139:

Best thing to do is start applying for Factory jobs and call centre jobs from Naija just before you come. Doing a business needs networks and you cant build the network you need immediately you come which is why the job route is best. If you are not married minimum wage in Ontario should afford you a room and transportation and food to give peace of mind while you figure out your plans.
Thanks, I'm not married, I have no kid, I'm below 25 and I have MSC already in Nigeria. Please, how do I get their number, ive been trying to google search, can't really get much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheChi: 10:27am On Dec 23, 2020
AnthonyAk:
Any software developers coming for Vancouver? Would be glad to show them the ropes. My company is always hiring for a bunch of roles as well

Hello,
Does your company have openings for a Business Analyst, or you know of any opening. Planning to land in January.

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by egobetatoday: 10:38am On Dec 23, 2020
jjohndoe83:
I just feel like putting this out there for those, who like me at some point, are having doubts about whether or not to move (if Buhari is not enough reason) and that nagging fear of the unknown...I've just been here 3 months, so my experience is only limited to Calgary where I live and may not be broad-based enough, but I can say Canada is not a bed of roses, neither is it a bed of thorns.

If you're humble (and willing to shave off some of the ego that we're conditioned to back home), you will ALWAYS find something to do to pay your bills whilst you work your way to where you want to be, even during this COVID era. So if your concern is immediate survival, you will find something to pay the bills and keep you afloat. Just to give you a clue, between my spouse and I we pull in about $5500 after taxes on our basic jobs (that is we're not working in our fields yet) and we are sorted with change left.

Do not let any stories that you hear discourage you. For every one discouraging story, there are 20 stories of encouragement. Our paths are very different and unique. Keep your faith and optimism intact, Canada can, and will deliver to you what you work for.

Compliments.

This post is very informative and has put everything in perspective for all still considering whether to move or not. The fact that you put those figures (5500 after tax) is everything. We've always heard 'you'll survive, you'll survive' but what is 'survive' to one person may not be for another. Your post clears the air. Thanks so much. But I keep wondering why we are so secretive about what we earn (I mean the numbers). We don't necessarily have to say what we earn presently, telling us what you earned as a new immigrant working survival jobs will help push people still unsure to make the right decision. Jjohndoe, surely, u are going higher IJN. This stage is a stepping stone to greater heights for ur family.

25 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2020
egobetatoday:

This post is very informative and has put everything in perspective for all still considering whether to move or not. The fact that you put those figures (5500 after tax) is everything. We've always heard 'you'll survive, you'll survive' but what is 'survive' to one person may not be for another. Your post clears the air. Thanks so much. But I keep wondering why we are so secretive about what we earn (I mean the numbers). We don't necessarily have to say what we earn presently, telling us what you earned as a new immigrant working survival jobs will help push people still unsure to make the right decision. Jjohndoe, surely, u are going higher IJN. This stage is a stepping stone to greater heights for ur family.
any body that is serious about migration does not need other peoples opinion or earnings to decide. Most of the information is on google. Survival jobs on average get you 1900 to 2100 cad a month( its not hidden information). People dont like to share those details because they dont have to because of privacy or not to be seen as showing off. Nigeria is not going to get better, think about the future of your kids or unborn. Japa if you can

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2020
Kekereekun123:
any body that is serious about migration does not need other peoples opinion or earnings to decide. Most of the information is on google. Survival jobs on average get you 1900 to 2100 cad a month( its not hidden information). People dont like to share those details because they dont have to because of privacy or not to be seen as showing off. Nigeria is not going to get better, think about the future of your kids or unborn. Japa if you can
Guy, you dey vex o. Please, no Nigeria slander abeg.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 6:04pm On Dec 23, 2020
egobetatoday:

Thanks for the kind words and prayers. People act differently for different reasons. Some people are more open than others. Its just personality differences and nothing more. All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Richdee1(m): 6:15pm On Dec 23, 2020
jjohndoe83:
E dey always vex. Na e nature

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 23, 2020
jjohndoe83:

Nigerian wey don cast beyond redemption. With a vegetable president

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 7:26pm On Dec 23, 2020
TheChi:

Hello,
Does your company have openings for a Business Analyst, or you know of any opening. Planning to land in January.

Thank you

They might, let me know when u land
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizzzz: 9:06pm On Dec 23, 2020
Thanks for the response on my last question.

Is there any service canada in the airport. so i can get my SIN there ? is there any number to call?

If not, how strict is the quarantine law, can i drive to service canada and get my SIN, then go to my residence and begin my quarantine.

I just need to get the SIN quickly
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sylokobi: 10:17pm On Dec 23, 2020
wizzzz:

Is there any service canada in the airport. so i can get my SIN there ? is there any number to call?

If not, how strict is the quarantine law, can i drive to service canada and get my SIN, then go to my residence and begin my quarantine.

You can check the link below

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/tbsc-fsco/sc-hme.jsp?lang=eng
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 55emem55: 11:11pm On Dec 23, 2020
coming here to mark register in a few months time.
just got my ITA grin grin grin

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 11:29pm On Dec 23, 2020
wizzzz:

You can be fined for breaking quarantine and even if you want to break quarantine laws, the last place you want to go is a government office.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 3:26am On Dec 24, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kekereekun123:
Nigerian wey don cast beyond redemption. With a vegetable president
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 3:32am On Dec 24, 2020
And with modesty and decency, your expenses might not take more than $3000 depending on the size of your family. With a family of 3, my expenses were always below $2500 monthly.

jjohndoe83:

Compliments.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:00am On Dec 24, 2020
Closed for the year at work. More time to explore during the lockdown.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by FavourAmachukwu: 10:34am On Dec 24, 2020
Thanks for the response.
I tracked it and it said 'under process at canada visa office'. I'm concerned it's taking time and I want to travel by january.
Drsholes:

Did you get a notification from VFS about the movement of your passport? Perhaps you can tract it on their website or call them to find out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pleasant19: 3:40pm On Dec 24, 2020
Baiser:
Hey guys, can a newly landed PR use his pof to get a nice ride and start uber?

Yes you can. If you buy through financing though your interest rate will be high because you do not have credit yet.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 4:53pm On Dec 24, 2020
jjohndoe83:

Compliments.

Prolly because ur in calgary , its a good place for nigerians. But don't be complacent. We need more nigerian executives in the work place

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 4:55pm On Dec 24, 2020
wizean:
And with modesty and decency, your expenses might not take more than $3000 depending on the size of your family. With a family of 3, my expenses were always below $2500 monthly.

Lol how? i have no kids but $2.5k wont cover my rent and car
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eaztzide: 6:12pm On Dec 24, 2020
AnthonyAk:
Any software developers coming for Vancouver? Would be glad to show them the ropes. My company is always hiring for a bunch of roles as well
Any remote role available (any role where one can apply and work from any part of the world)?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 6:47pm On Dec 24, 2020
Eaztzide:

Any remote role available (any role where one can apply and work from any part of the world)?

There are but its hard if ur outside the country. I couldn't even go work from Nigeria even if i've been working from home for the past year because my company doesn't pay taxes there (According to my manager)

I cant even work for an american company without a work visa unless there were already in Canada

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 7:04pm On Dec 24, 2020
AnthonyAk:

Prolly because ur in calgary , its a good place for nigerians. But don't be complacent. We need more nigerian executives in the work place
Bros rest. Na just 3 months I don spend. And becoming an Exec. is not one day work.

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 24, 2020
jjohndoe83:
Bros rest. Na just 3 months I don spend. And becoming an Exec. is not one day work.
saw it too. The guy just dey find talk lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 24, 2020
AnthonyAk:

does everyone live in British Columbia Abi na you dey help am spend his money ni cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 3:22am On Dec 25, 2020
I am assuming your intent isn't to make a "wash" of me.

There is no dispute in the fact that peoples circumstances would always differ and fingers will never be equal. The post was basically to encourage whoever intends to come over and also to give a clearer picture of what finances might look like.

It is common sense for a newcomer to be modest with expenses and it doesn't necessarily imply one would perpetually remain in that state. Surely, things would get better with time.

If you read between the lines, you will observe that my tenses were in the past but that was actually my reality when I just arrived and I believe it's fairly reasonable for a newcomer. wink

AnthonyAk:

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.