Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,927 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2183157 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2019
AZeD1:

Kijiji should be your first start for used things. Also note that you are allowed to negotiate prices you see on Kijiji.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by softandmoist(f): 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2019
jjohndoe83:

I know some guy at NIPOST Victoria Island. His name is Godswill 0703 300 7054.

...Hope its not too late.

Thanks so much. It's timely.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by softandmoist(f): 3:53pm On Feb 05, 2019
sunky644:
[qquote author=softandmoist post=75401810]Hi House,

Can anyone help me with a contact email or phone number for someone who works with NIPOST?
Please, this is urgent.
Thank you.

Try any of this but unfortunately they are in Akure Post Office. I guess they should be able to help though.

Thanks so much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by taskcompleteng: 4:49pm On Feb 05, 2019
Contact me if you want to Cargo Items overseas
Our office is in NAhco

0807 375 0596

Thanks for your patronage

26 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 05, 2019
Pls fam, i need your help. I visited the drivetest center with my naija license to do my g1 and qualify for g2.
They rejected the license that its showing “graduated u25” which makes it just a driving permit and not license.

Has anyone had this issue before?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 6:48pm On Feb 05, 2019
Threemg:
Seniors in the house abegg I want to know this: Forest dey to hunt for games (bushmeat: Etu, Okete, Oya, Agborin, Emor, Ikun etc) in Canada? Like all these Olode and his dogs setting

Have you heard about animal rights before? Thou shall not kill bushmeat without permit here o. I even heard a snake was caught in someone's toilet and the authorities came for it and let it back out in the wild.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2019
Tojued:
Good day everyone.

Please those in Calgary / with knowledge of Calgary.

The North East has a bad reputation, but I believe there are some neighborhoods there that are relatively safe, especially within context of raising children. Please can we share experiences of such neighborhoods?

Abi North East na total no-go area?

Try Skyview Ranch, or Taradale in the North East

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2019
einsteino:

I'm sorry, I don't know much about the pathway for lawyers here. Thanks @AzeD1 for helping with that

1. Get your credentials assessed by the NCA (LLB, BL, Letter of good standing from the NBA)
2. Write the exams assessed by the NCA - This is an average of five exams depending on your core LLB courses and can be completed within a year or less depending on your schedule and pocket(�).
3. Pass the exams and get a certificate of qualification from the NCA
4. Apply and register with a law society of the your choice province. Remember you will have to apply again to another province if you change your province.
5. Enroll in the Articling program for a year or apply for waiver (this is a long-shot but some people have tried it before based on their years of experience and got it reduced to six months). In Ontario you will also have to write the Bar exams separately but in Alberta they do CPLED during the Articling programme instead. There's also an alternative to Articling in Ontario which is done through a Law school.
6. Upon completion of your Articling programme, you get called to the Bar and you can start enjoying the fruit of your labour.

18 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by snoop4dem: 7:31pm On Feb 05, 2019
Hey Guys,

I have a friend who is trying to come to Canada. He doesn't wanna do it himself as he wants an agent or lawyer help him process his documents et all. Is anyone able to suggest an agent or lawyer I can recommend for him.

Disclaimer: Please dont try to respond by telling me to convince him to do it himself or read page 1 and the likes as that option is off the table. I promised I was gonna reach out and find out if there is anyone using an agent or an immigration lawyer et all is why I am asking for him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 8:51pm On Feb 05, 2019
taskcompleteng:
Contact me if you want to Cargo Items overseas
Our office is in NAhco

0807 375 0596
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 8:52pm On Feb 05, 2019
snoop4dem:
Hey Guys,

I have a friend who is trying to come to Canada. He doesn't wanna do it himself as he wants an agent or lawyer help him process his documents et all. Is anyone able to suggest an agent or lawyer I can recommend for him.

Disclaimer: Please dont try to respond by telling me to convince him to do it himself or read page 1 and the likes as that option is off the table. I promised I was gonna reach out and find out if there is anyone using an agent or an immigration lawyer et all is why I am asking for him

Michael Cohen will gladly collect his money and probably waste his time too. Look him up on canadavisa.com

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 9:12pm On Feb 05, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elle78: 9:14pm On Feb 05, 2019
Hi everyone, please this is a question for my Calgary people. Can I please have tips on furnishing an apartment. Most of the ads come as unfurnished...the cost of beds and sofas I saw online are crazy and will probably have a slight dent on one's Pof.

Secondly, is there anyone that's accessed grant or/and loan from Alberta student aid. What was the process like. Osap seems very straightforward than Alberta's.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slimlanre: 9:25pm On Feb 05, 2019
Elle78:
Hi everyone, please this is a question for my Calgary people. Can I please have tips on furnishing an apartment. Most of the ads come as unfurnished...the cost of beds and sofas I saw online are crazy and will probably have a slight dent on one's Pof.

Secondly, is there anyone that's accessed grant or/and loan from Alberta student aid. What was the process like. Osap seems very straightforward than Alberta's.

On the bolded, if you just recently landed, how about visiting immigrant services in Calgary. They can provide you with basically everything you need, all for free. I know several families that have benefited from their services. From sofas, beds, pots, dining table, etc, you can get from them.

Cheers!

59 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 9:26pm On Feb 05, 2019
MissMoroti:
Pls fam, i need your help. I visited the drivetest center with my naija license to do my g1 and qualify for g2.
They rejected the license that its showing “graduated u25” which makes it just a driving permit and not license.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Maybe you should consider writing them a letter to explain that the "graduated u25" license in Nigeria is not a learners permit but a license issued to anyone below 25 years. It's separate from the normal class B because in Nigeria, you're not allowed to drive any commercial vehicle until you're 25 and above.
So while it is also the license you get as a first time driver, it is much more than a newbie license. For example, if you obtain your first license at 18 and it expires when you're 21, your renewed license will still be a 'graduated u25' license; even though you are already an experienced driver.

If you got that license when you were younger than 25 and you've crossed that threshold now, apply for a reissue. You might also want to get some sort of letter from FRSC explaining the concept, maybe it might help your cause.
Or just forget the naija license and go for G1 over there

22 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tojued: 9:28pm On Feb 05, 2019
4Barr:

Try Skyview Ranch, or Taradale in the North East

Thanks. Seen a lot of nice rentals in Taradale and Monterrey Park.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 9:53pm On Feb 05, 2019
Hello my People, Trust we are all having a nice time. Please I habe come again oh. I am at the verge of deciding to land and settle in Calgary when my settlement advisor was advising me yesterday to look into these cities for settling. I know nothing about these places too but I thought of seeking the opinions of our landed seniors. The places are

Victoria,
Abbottsford,
Kelowna,
Vernon,
Nanaimo,
Prince Rupert,
Terrace,
Prince George

Please oh. Oga Salford, maternal, jhoci, pepe1, mumayo, dfash2000, Boss33, and my other landed ogas...make una help me oh.

Any iformation aboutr any of them would do. I am a Civil engineer and a PMP, wifey is a Nurse. Thanks all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Majesticniyi(m): 10:20pm On Feb 05, 2019
dustydee:

Just wondering, would it not have been cheaper to buy those stuff in Canada?
cost of shipping is almost C$400 + C$94 + cost of buying the foodstuff.
That's over $600, that will buy you a lot of foodstuff in Canada, I believe.

Can seniors please comment more on this? I'm at the point of trying to decide what to pack and ship over and would appreciate inputs. Does it make sense bring foodstuff over or I should just stick with clothes, books, basic drugs and toiletries? I need the cheaper way out please...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Estac: 10:59pm On Feb 05, 2019
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I see what you did there and I love your sense of humor. Please post it! Some of us have been waiting for it. #lemmegoandwearmychristmasclothandgrabachilledbottleofmalt

Newmum0615:
Is Oga number 13 around?

I want to post something.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 11:59pm On Feb 05, 2019
Elle78:

You need to be careful with beddings and sofas though. Bed bugs are common here.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 12:09am On Feb 06, 2019
Majesticniyi:

Can seniors please comment more on this? I'm at the point of trying to decide what to pack and ship over and would appreciate inputs. Does it make sense bring foodstuff over or I should just stick with clothes, books, basic drugs and toiletries? I need the cheaper way out please...

What Dustydee said is true. All in all, it's all about choices.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lhimeet(m): 12:15am On Feb 06, 2019
lobell:
My Naija pipo no dey carry last...haba!

https://www.nairaland.com/5004735/nigerian-woman-begging-streets-canada
I was about posting this sad

Is it that with all the education, she can't find a good job? Or she's just plain lazy? I don't understand Maybe she feels relaxed begging for meagre sums..
cry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 1:03am On Feb 06, 2019
einsteino:

Someone once told me the pay for entry level jobs in the industry isnt so great, I don't know how true it is. What I do know is that Agency work na always monkey dey work, baboon dey chop. I once saw an agency's job post for senior analyst with a bank at $25 per hour grin. I dont understand why companies staff via agencies, in my opinion it can only lead to high turn over.

Like you said, for now its anything to get one's foot into the door.

Some organizations see it as a means of recruiting competent staff. If the person proves competent within a 6month period, the person can be converted to a full staff, otherwise the person can be let go. It is always easier to fire a contract staff, than you would do a company employee.

Besides, it's also a way to hire cheaper labour. Imagine getting a Senior Analyst at $25/hr, when the actual cost may be more like $40/hr.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 1:36am On Feb 06, 2019
Lastruct:
Hello my People, Trust we are all having a nice time. Please I habe come again oh. I am at the verge of deciding to land and settle in Calgary when my settlement advisor was advising me yesterday to look into these cities for settling. I know nothing about these places too but I thought of seeking the opinions of our landed seniors. The places are

Victoria,
Abbottsford,
Kelowna,
Vernon,
Nanaimo,
Prince Rupert,
Terrace,
Prince George

Please oh. Oga Salford, maternal, jhoci, pepe1, mumayo, dfash2000, Boss33, and my other landed ogas...make una help me oh.

Any iformation aboutr any of them would do. I am a Civil engineer and a PMP, wifey is a Nurse. Thanks all
I do not know much about BC. Hopefully someone here living in BC can offer some suggestions.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mosbiod(m): 4:50am On Feb 06, 2019
//

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 5:17am On Feb 06, 2019
mosbiod:
Hi guys, has anyone in the Alberta province exchanged his Naija Driving license for the Alberta license, do you know if your license was verified?
I was just checking through the FRSC website with my License number and I realize that it seems that my license isn't original wontigbami angry it says "Please visit the licence centre to process your application."
I checked with my friend's license number and it stated "Expiry Date is more than 30 days"
I am about to process converting my license but if anyone has had any encounter like this, please share, so I will just start from scratch their own driving license procedure which is a pain in the A$$. OR If the Naija license will still fly like that.
Comment your experience even if not in Alberta province. Thanks
Of course it will be verified; therefore, submitting a fake is not going to crawl not to mention fly. If you submit it, you will be slammed with an heavy fine plus possible suspension. The one year wait you were trying to avoid could be turned to years of suspension. Cutting corners does not work in Canada. My brother, think am well.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Majesticniyi(m): 5:34am On Feb 06, 2019
salford1:

What Dustydee said is true. All in all, it's all about choices.

Thanks....plans changed
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elle78: 7:17am On Feb 06, 2019
Thanks a lot. I haven't landed. Looking to land sometime in April. Will look at those.

slimlanre:

On the bolded, if you just recently landed, how about visiting immigrant services in Calgary. They can provide you with basically everything you need, all for free. I know several families that have benefited from their services. From sofas, beds, pots, dining table, etc, you can get from them.

Cheers!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elle78: 7:21am On Feb 06, 2019
Wawu....thank you for the info. Are there other cheap and safe alternatives. Even on kjiji is high.
salford1:

You need to be careful with beddings and sofas though. Bed bugs are common here.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mosbiod(m): 7:48am On Feb 06, 2019
Thanks you Salford1

salford1:

Of course it will be verified; therefore, submitting a fake is not going to crawl not to mention fly. If you submit it, you will be slammed with an heavy fine plus possible suspension. The one year wait you were trying to avoid could be turned to years of suspension. Cutting corners does not work in Canada. My brother, think am well.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tojued: 8:27am On Feb 06, 2019
mosbiod:
Hi guys, has anyone in the Alberta province exchanged his Naija Driving license for the Alberta license, do you know if your license was verified?
I was just checking through the FRSC website with my License number and I realize that it seems that my license isn't original wontigbami angry it says "Please visit the licence centre to process your application."
I checked with my friend's license number and it stated "Expiry Date is more than 30 days"
I am about to process converting my license but if anyone has had any encounter like this, please share, so I will just start from scratch their own driving license procedure which is a pain in the A$$. OR If the Naija license will still fly like that.
Comment your experience even if not in Alberta province. Thanks

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up with a fake license? You've never gone for capturing?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by henvic11: 8:42am On Feb 06, 2019

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: chidekings(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.