Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,109 members, 7,818,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2191128 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 1:40pm On Feb 07, 2019
Newmum0615:
You no dey current be that. Me wey don visit Trudeau how many times since I come.
where is mummy's landing gist? before i report you to oga number 13

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 5:16pm On Feb 07, 2019
pepe1:

Boss, longest time.

Good to hear from you.

Trust Canada is doing you good.

We are doing good but this cold no be here sha.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 5:18pm On Feb 07, 2019
jjohndoe83:

Thank you for this. Quite straight forward. I was wondering whether articling is remunerated?
Generally Articling is remunerated because at that stage you do everything a Lawyer does, the only difference is that you have to be under a Principal for that period so depending on the size of the firm, Articling Students are well paid over and above the required minimum wage.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 5:34pm On Feb 07, 2019
Guys Please I need help oh...I haven't left the shores of this country before. Is there any technique in booking a cheap flight? We are family of 4 booking to Calgary for Aug 20th. The cheapest I have seen is about 1.7m on Turkish airline oh. Is this how it used to be? The fare gara gan nio. Biko egba mio!!!

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zeiya(f): 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2019
Lastruct:
Guys Please I need help oh...I haven't left the shores of this country before. Is there any technique in booking a cheap flight? We are family of 4 booking to Calgary for Aug 20th. The cheapest I have seen is about 1.7m on Turkish airline oh. Is this how it used to be? The fare gara gan nio. Biko egba mio!!!

Check Ethiopian airlines. You can get 1.1m or less

Some days are cheaper too.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MissTobs: 5:57pm On Feb 07, 2019
Lastruct:
Egypt air & Ethopian air are the cheapest. Use skyscanner.com and play with dates to get the cheapest dates. (Egypt air only flies Wednesday, Friday & Sundays)

14 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 7:02pm On Feb 07, 2019
I got 376k for a family of three on Egyptair via Jumia travels back in December.
You may try with Jumia travels or try directly on Egyptair.

Lastruct:

20 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dfanz: 7:28pm On Feb 07, 2019
Long & Mcquade. They have stores in several quadrants of the city.

Guitarlife:
Hi guys anyone anyone here knows where I can get a neat used violin in any part of Calgary ? Somewhere I can get a good bargain.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dubaiboy1: 7:33pm On Feb 07, 2019
Try different dates on Jumia travel, wakanow and if you don’t mind long layover, try google flight .. Also , skyscanner .. 1.7 is high ooo .

Good luck .

Lastruct:

10 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by enquirer123: 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2019
thanks very much for this

please consider this scenario and advice

i landed in mid 2018 and started working almost immediately
based on my annual salary and province, I fell into the bracket that is taxed at around 34% (fed +province)

but of course I did not work up to a year in canada, so my actual earned income in 2018 in canada falls in the bracket taxed at around 24%

so will I get a tax refund for this ?
because there is about 1500 cad difference (I confirmed this using my payslips to see the tax that was deducted )

mind you I had an income in Nigeria in the first half of 2018 and the PAYE taxes had been deducted by my employer (I have the lagos e-tcc and all that ). I had declared this nigerian income from the first half while filing for gst/hst credit

also adding my income from the first half of the year still does not push me into the higher tax bracket

Philippians4v9:
Hi Guys,

If you are new to Canada, you might have a bit of struggle in getting some information which is why you have this forum and other forums. Please subscribe to my channel and you will learn some new things. I will try my best to talk about everything I have learnt since I arrived Canada in 2016. We are about entering the tax season and I will be starting a series on Taxes in Canada. You can subscribe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 9:07pm On Feb 07, 2019
wizean:
I got 376k for a family of three on Egyptair via Jumia travels back in December.

Please do you mean 376k per person or for the whole family. And where was d destination please...thanks for your time
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gabrola: 9:13pm On Feb 07, 2019
Good day all, is there any means someone can transfer above $3k from Nigeria to Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zutlin: 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2019
snoop4dem:
Hey Guys,

I have a friend who is trying to come to Canada. He doesn't wanna do it himself as he wants an agent or lawyer help him process his documents et all. Is anyone able to suggest an agent or lawyer I can recommend for him.

Disclaimer: Please dont try to respond by telling me to convince him to do it himself or read page 1 and the likes as that option is off the table. I promised I was gonna reach out and find out if there is anyone using an agent or an immigration lawyer et all is why I am asking for him

I recommend Mark Holthe. He has a Facebook group called Express Entry Law. I have consulted with him twice and I can tell you he's honest, kind and patient. I believe he first holds a paid consultation before taking a client on. If he doesn't think your friend stands a good chance, he would say so and not collect further payment.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2019
The whole family...... Destination is Toronto Pearson

Lastruct:

Please do you mean 376k per person or for the whole family. And where was d destination please...thanks for your time

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nat138: 9:18pm On Feb 07, 2019
Wellmanned:
If you are asked to redo medicals, you book appointment again like the first process. However, you would have a maximum of 1 month to redo the medicals (thats what applied in my case) so you have to book with the clinic with closest date. Amount for medical is as per rate on the day of medical.

I dont think you can fast track after you redo medicals but request for passport happened few days after my medicals and visa issued is valid till the expiration of new medical anniversary or passport expiration - whichever comes first.

Many thanks for your response. Appreciate it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Onyeenyeh: 9:29pm On Feb 07, 2019
Try booking the middle of the night or you can simulate with a return ticket, sometimes that's way cheaper than a one way ticket. At least it was in my case.
Lastruct:

8 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DrMrsCK: 9:49pm On Feb 07, 2019
wizean:

Per person? How long in advance did you book?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DrMrsCK: 9:55pm On Feb 07, 2019
shocked
wizean:
The whole family...... Destination is Toronto Pearson

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 10:22pm On Feb 07, 2019
Lastruct:
download the app for Ethiopia airline, their fare is cheaper when you book through the app

or make enquiries from this thread, then compare prices
https://www.nairaland.com/4284572/tweaking-travel-routes-time-cheap

18 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 6:16am On Feb 08, 2019
Booked in December against March.

DrMrsCK:

Per person? How long in advance did you book?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 6:36am On Feb 08, 2019
wizean:
Booked in December against March.

Wow...that’s a very good deal oh...I’ve been checking Jumia too sha.. will keep monitoring it. Though I’m now getting better deals on skyscanner as suggested, I got about 935k for all of us but it’s for May, most of the cheap ones I got in the range 935k to 1.2m are in May and leaving in May would affect a lot of planning stuffs...will keep checking to see if I can get something better around July sha. Thanks everyone for your support.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Olorunwasimi: 7:28am On Feb 08, 2019
Hi Lastruct,

Your travel date is in August, and ticket prices are always higher at that time (because it’s summer).

June/July/August is peak period for travel, so it costs more. If you can, check for travel dates before June and after August. April or October maybe

Skyscanner is your best option. You can also try a local travel agent. They have good deals from time to time.

Lastruct:

Wow...that’s a very good deal oh...I’ve been checking Jumia too sha.. will keep monitoring it. Though I’m now getting better deals on skyscanner as suggested, I got about 935k for all of us but it’s for May, most of the cheap ones I got in the range 935k to 1.2m are in May and leaving in May would affect a lot of planning stuffs...will keep checking to see if I can get something better around July sha. Thanks everyone for your support.

11 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 7:41am On Feb 08, 2019

15 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 7:42am On Feb 08, 2019
https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-financial-analyst-course/?k_clickid=b65455ed-e39b-45f7-a9ea-3db145524bfa_167141298&utm_campaign=NEW-FB---Instagram-creative-FinancialAnalyst-EN-ENG_._ci_648826_._sl_ENG_._vi__._sd_All_._la_EN_._&utm_medium=udemyads&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=_._ag_FEIG_STIG-Similar+(GB_US_and_2_others,+0_._ci_%7BCourseID%7D_._._pi_2587625264610855_._gi_all_._ai_19--65_._an_6BI7wn-648826-10_._la_%5BEnglish+(US),+English+(UK)%5D_._lo_%5BAustralia,+Canada,+United+States,+United+Kingdom%5D_._

Financial analysis training.

13 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 7:45am On Feb 08, 2019
The 2 courses posted above are at discount and expiring soon.

I didn't subscribe so i don't know much about it.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 8:25am On Feb 08, 2019
czaratwork:
The 2 courses posted above are at discount and expiring soon.

I didn't subscribe so i don't know much about it.

The second course, can I buy now and learn later?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chik14: 9:10am On Feb 08, 2019
Hello Seniors, please if spouse is unaccompanying. Can the primary applicant land with the kids or only the primary applicant can land. We are waiting for our PPR but dont know if we have to submit passport for the kids and primary applicant or just primary applicant. Please help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 9:39am On Feb 08, 2019
Olorunwasimi:
Hi Lastruct,

Your travel date is in August, and ticket prices are always higher at that time (because it’s summer).

June/July/August is peak period for travel, so it costs more. If you can, check for travel dates before June and after August. April or October maybe

Skyscanner is your best option. You can also try a local travel agent. They have good deals from time to time.

Thank you for your kind advise...will keep working with skyscanner then and also adjust my travel plan backwards since my August is our landing deadline.
Regards
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by efueh: 9:41am On Feb 08, 2019
IMO the emphasis is on UNACCOMPANYING!
That means only YOU and no extra person is allowed to come in with your PR VISA.
Others can weigh in with direct experience.

Chik14:
Hello Seniors, please if spouse is unaccompanying. Can the primary applicant land with the kids or only the primary applicant can land. We are waiting for our PPR but dont know if we have to submit passport for the kids and primary applicant or just primary applicant. Please help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by efueh: 9:47am On Feb 08, 2019
If your concern is finance, I guess that May will be perfect for you. As for affecting plans, it all depends if the stuff are in Naija or Canada.
If naija, you can do soft landing with the family and return to Naija to finish up with your stuff, before joining them fully. As there must be a way round it.
All the best as you proceed.

Lastruct:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 10:06am On Feb 08, 2019
efueh:
If your concern is finance, I guess that May will be perfect for you. As for affecting plans, it all depends if the stuff are in Naija or Canada.
If naija, you can do soft landing with the family and return to Naija to finish up with your stuff, before joining them fully. As there must be a way round it.
All the best as you proceed.

Yeah thanks efueh...currently weighing all options.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 10:58am On Feb 08, 2019
Lastruct:

"warm weather things" it's assumed you are going for the accommodating weather. hence the high price.
prices are on the high side during this period IMO.

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.