Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,632 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (579) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2192001 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CountVersailles(f): 6:21am On Jul 07, 2022
sexgoddess:

Hi please how was your friend able to reserve the apartment from Nigeria?
Thanks in anticipation for your prompt response ��
Use Airbnb
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Marike2: 2:40pm On Jul 07, 2022
Hello everyone,
Pls I need answers to these questions;

1) Are kids (under 18) of immigrants registered in schools in the same class they were in their home country? OR

2) Do they move to a lower class?

3) Do they write assessment tests to determine the class they fit in according to the Canadian education standard?

Gurus in the house, pls respond.
Thanks grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mrczar(m): 2:51pm On Jul 07, 2022
Hi Guy,

please who is travelling to Toronto, 14th of next month ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 2:56pm On Jul 07, 2022
Marike2:
Hello everyone,
Pls I need answers to these questions;

1) Are kids (under 18) of immigrants registered in schools in the same class they were in their home country? OR

2) Do they move to a lower class?

3) Do they write assessment tests to determine the class they fit in according to the Canadian education standard?

Gurus in the house, pls respond.
Thanks grin

Every province/school board has a system of doing this. There is no one rule fits all.

When you land, locate a school/board closer to you and inquire from them. They would be the best to give you an up-to-date information.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Marike2: 3:33pm On Jul 07, 2022
ishift:

they will be put in class based on their age and age only, for alberta kindergarten starts after the kid turns 5 years old

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Marike2: 3:34pm On Jul 07, 2022
maziude:

Every province/school board has a system of doing this. There is no one rule fits all.

When you land, locate a school/board closer to you and inquire from them. They would be the best to give you an up-to-date information.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mrczar(m): 4:32pm On Jul 07, 2022
anything like this for those going to Ontario ?

ishift:
If you are planning to come and settle in Calgary, Alberta soon or you landed recently. This newcomers guide to Calgary is for you! This is what you call the total package! Very informative, easy to read and understand. The guide is put together by NCAC-Nigeria Canada Association-Calgary. Please share with your friends.

Download the guide here on NCAC website: https://www.nca-calgary.com/newcomer-assistance-program/
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olasubomy: 5:02pm On Jul 07, 2022
mrczar:
anything like this for those going to Ontario ?

You can try to check out the link below. This is the link for the Nigeria Canadian Association of Ontario:

https://ncagta.com/

There is an email and phone number on the website. They might be of help in giving you helpful information. I don’t live in Ontario, but this works in my province. Most provinces have a Nigerian Canadian Association like this who are ready to help make the onboarding process for newcomers more seamless.

Another approach I used when I first came to Canada was to google the African Store in my province, and luckily the owners were from Nigeria, and they helped me a lot.

You can look into these options pending when someone living in Ontario responds with more helpful information that can help.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Arike999: 1:09am On Jul 08, 2022
Hello someone please help
Have been trying to book my flight but the cheapest am seeing is handled by kiss and fly and their rating is bad

How can I search for cheap flight to Sydney in Nova Scotia please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by francisxbee: 8:29am On Jul 08, 2022
Arike999:
Hello someone please help
Have been trying to book my flight but the cheapest am seeing is handled by kiss and fly and their rating is bad

How can I search for cheap flight to Sydney in Nova Scotia please
You can use wakanow to compare flight prices.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by halaqasa: 7:29pm On Jul 08, 2022
Outage

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 7:47pm On Jul 08, 2022
halaqasa:
Outage
Who on hotspot for you. grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by legionISproteus: 3:55am On Jul 09, 2022
Zeewirld:
..Learnt cost of living in B.C is freaky expensive..How true is that? how do you manage in there....Mind sharing your experiences and words of advice for persons that might be indecisive with regards to location in Canada. Thank you
The wages in BC are good enough to cover your daily expenses. If you really love the province, go for it.

I know some who work in BC and retire to other provinces.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by legionISproteus: 3:56am On Jul 09, 2022
ednut1:
well you are wrong. The child allowance, gst/ hst benefits one will get is based on income from Nigeria. I got 500 cad for gst/ hst. For those with kids they will have to fill their last income from Nigeria while canada income is zero. Mazuide is right
How about those without kids? How will the Nigerian income benefit them?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 9:10am On Jul 09, 2022
legionISproteus:
How about those without kids? How will the Nigerian income benefit them?
stated in the post already. Gst hst refunds
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jum33: 9:41am On Jul 09, 2022
Family ,
Pls what is the minimum balance to have in ones account for a Canadian visiting visa application .
The person concerned is a nigerian - skilled worker in uk and planning to visit a family friend based in Canada and spending only a week .
And are there any other requirement ,he might still need to fulfill for a successful application
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 10:31am On Jul 09, 2022
jum33:
Family ,
Pls what is the minimum balance to have in ones account for a Canadian visiting visa application .
The person concerned is a nigerian - skilled worker in uk and planning to visit a family friend based in Canada and spending only a week .
And are there any other requirement ,he might still need to fulfill for a successful application
no such thing as minimum balance for visiting visa. Just have something reasonable and provide evidence you can afford the trip
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Firefox01: 10:47am On Jul 09, 2022
jum33:
Family ,
If he's in the UK, he doesn't need to bother. He'll most likely get the Visa than not, lol. Applying from Nigeria is another pot of beans entirely.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jum33: 11:43am On Jul 09, 2022
Firefox01:
If he's in the UK, he doesn't need to bother. He'll most likely get the Visa than not, lol. Applying from Nigeria is another pot of beans entirely.
This is the query on the application that actually brought about this question

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 11:47am On Jul 09, 2022
jum33:

how much is he budgeting for the trip in Canada. Potential expenses. Hotel, tfare, tourist attractions, feeding , shopping etc
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jum33: 11:57am On Jul 09, 2022
ednut1:
how much is he budgeting for the trip in Canada. Potential expenses. Hotel, tfare, tourist attractions, feeding , shopping etc
Probably like 700 Canadian dollar in all as his
Canadian host will take of his accommodation and feeding ,etc while he is in Canada ,he only need to cater for his flight alone
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 1:01pm On Jul 09, 2022
jum33:

Canadian host will take of his accommodation and feeding ,etc while he is in Canada ,he only need to cater for his flight alone
Yea, that might be another can of worms.

Anyways, nobody knows for sure except the person applies.

Let the person apply and hope for the best.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 1:02pm On Jul 09, 2022
Firefox01:

Na… not necessarily true.
They do get denied too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 1:33pm On Jul 09, 2022
jum33:

He should input at least 1-5k cad and have double that amount in his bank

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 1:35pm On Jul 09, 2022
jum33:

Canadian host will take of his accommodationand feeding ,etc while he is in Canada ,he only need to cater for his flight alone

In this case, the host will need to provide him with their bank statement.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by legionISproteus: 1:55pm On Jul 09, 2022
ednut1:
stated in the post already. Gst hst refunds
Okay
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Amandacanny: 12:25pm On Jul 10, 2022
Happy sunday everyone. Pls apart from Samsung and iPhone, which other phone works in Canada. I'm trying to buy a pocket friendly phone that will serve me well in Canada too.. I've change my samsung screen twice with plenty money and I'm not ready to buy another samsung. I need guidance pls
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olasubomy: 2:58pm On Jul 10, 2022
Amandacanny:
Happy sunday everyone. Pls apart from Samsung and iPhone, which other phone works in Canada. I'm trying to buy a pocket friendly phone that will serve me well in Canada too.. I've change my samsung screen twice with plenty money and I'm not ready to buy another samsung. I need guidance pls

You can get any other good Android phone. I use a Huawei phone and got a sim in Toronto. It worked perfectly well for me in Toronto before I moved to my province.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 3:02pm On Jul 10, 2022
Amandacanny:
Most phones work in Canada is except u intend using freedom network. That network works on selected phones.
I use a Xiaomi and it works with Bell and virgin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Amandacanny: 3:06pm On Jul 10, 2022
Thanks for your response
seunpinky:

Most phones work in Canada is except u intend using freedom network. That network works on selected phones.
I use a Xiaomi and it works with Bell and virgin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Resurgent2016, oluayebenz and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.