Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (693) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2184536 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (690) (691) (692) (693) (694) (695) (696) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lanresz(m): 4:22pm On Dec 11, 2023
To determine if $17 a hour is enough to get an average life in Canada, you have to indicate where in Canada. Cost of living is not the same for the whole country. 3 months free accommodation sounds unbelievable. When I moved from Western Canada to Atlantic Canada, I got only 2 months free accommodation. So, 3 months free accommodation for a $17 a hour job sounds some how.

Yomzy08:
Hello guys, I just got a job with LMIA in Canada at 17Cad per hour with accommodation for the first 3 months, please is 17Cad enough to get an average life in Canada?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 4:48pm On Dec 11, 2023
ednut1:
a company offering 3 months accommodation in these times I smell fish 🏃🏾‍♂️🏃🏾‍♂️
Na story na grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lanresz(m): 6:31pm On Dec 11, 2023
For a $17/hr job.
aestake:

Na story na grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 6:34pm On Dec 11, 2023
lanresz:
For a $17/hr job.
LMIA with accommodation?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Yomzy08: 10:12pm On Dec 11, 2023
ednut1:
a company offering 3 months accommodation in these times I smell fish 🏃🏾‍♂️🏃🏾‍♂️
Well its real there's nothing fishy about it tho, I'm just concerned about the wages if it's enough to earn a living
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Yomzy08: 10:14pm On Dec 11, 2023
MayorOfEdmonton:
Did you find out what the accommodation plan/arrangement is?
Cos rent is pretty expensive in Ontario and a company paying $17/hr in addition to payin ur high rent seems unreal.
Make sure u see a lease agreement in ur name before u leave Nigeria pls.

My personal experience: after I got PR some years ago, I got a really good supervisory job in Toronto while still in Nigeria. Job offer was signed & sent with promise to sort out my accommodation for few months after Landing. Company has condos they said.
Two weeks after landing, company couldn’t find accommodation. I tried to find accommodation myself too but was too expensive for suitable accommodation(+2,000$). I told the company I won’t resume without accommodation sorted out. Thankfully during the wait I got a better offer in Edmonton and within 2 days I sorted accommodation myself in Edmonton. Na so I take become Mayor for Edmonton 😁
Sent mail to the company that for family reasons we decided to leave Toronto, hence I can’t resume the job- No love lost!

Lesson Learned: with hindsight , why should any company pay my rent even as a supervisor talk less an expensive rent.
Make sure any verbal agreement is written down & signed.

Cheers

Ok thanks alot, I'll make sure we have a written agreement concerning the accomodation issue, but still will you advice I shouldn't accept the offer? Coz I feel it's a rare opportunity
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 10:25pm On Dec 11, 2023
Yomzy08:

Well its real there's nothing fishy about it tho, I'm just concerned about the wages if it's enough to earn a living
what city in Ontario Net pay assuming 40 hours a week. If its in the Greater Toronto area, note that rent is about 1k for a shared room .

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AyabaS: 11:45pm On Dec 11, 2023
Llaye:
Hello everyone,

Please does anyone know of a Nigerian here who works with the Canadian Federal Government as a Permanent resident?

I ask because I know that to work with the FG as a non-citizen of Canada, a security clearance is required from your home country. And I recently learnt that the Nigerian govt never responds to the security clearance request. Someone I know says he was turned down at the interview stage when they learnt he's Nigerian and they gave him the reason "it's very difficult getting security clearance done for Nigerians" but this was many years ago.

I've tried to ask around and haven't been able to find anyone who knows a Nigerian who's successfully done it recently. Those I found had become Canadian citizens before getting into the FG jobs.

So I'm starting to believe the guys who say it may be a worthless venture applying to those roles as a PR with Nigerian citizenship. *phew

Don’t let anyone discourage you please. I am a PR, I I haven’t been in Canada for up to 3 years and I’ve been working with the FG for over 2 years. When it was time for security clearance, I didn’t have to do anything other than fill a form. It took about 2 months for my clearance to be issued, it wasn’t a big deal at all.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 1:43am On Dec 12, 2023
Yomzy08:

Come first if it is not real or not favorable, you find your way. There are frauds here, people! There is slavery too!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Canadahome: 3:48am On Dec 12, 2023
MayorOfEdmonton:
Hi,

A question for you- So is it that you’re planning to apply to FG jobs or u have interview pending already.

I have a friend that works with Federal government(CRA) & some friends working with provincial government (Finance Division). They didn’t need to do any elaborate security checks from Nigeria I think.
I imagine the CBSA security checks during PR processing should be enough. They only needed to do criminal background check from RCMP, & it’s not only government jobs that require this.

Another angle- PRs can now join Canadian Armed Forces if qualified. There’s no condition of ‘pending security clearance from home country in the requirements’ before they can be employed. I imagine CAF should have stricter security concerns. Just saying.

Cheers

Actually, you are correct. There is no pending security clearance from home country. However, the Army carry out the background/security checks on their own once one pass the CFAT exam and about to join the military. The background check takes from 6monthz to 18months if you are a PR. It covers all the places one has lived for the past 5years.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Llaye: 4:15am On Dec 12, 2023
Thank you. I had thought all of these roles require the security clearance. I'll look through more closely.

olalekan9320:

Apart from CCIS, you can get any FG job. Security clearance depends on the role though especially those that has to do with some information and some of them require 5 years stay in Canada but it's often in the job description so if it isn't there, apply!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Llaye: 4:18am On Dec 12, 2023
No interviews, I have only been applying.

I know it takes quite some time for these kind of jobs, but I just want to be sure I'm not wasting time and energy.

Thank you. I guess I'll continue *phew

MayorOfEdmonton:
Hi,

A question for you- So is it that you’re planning to apply to FG jobs or u have interview pending already.

I have a friend that works with Federal government(CRA) & some friends working with provincial government (Finance Division). They didn’t need to do any elaborate security checks from Nigeria I think.
I imagine the CBSA security checks during PR processing should be enough. They only needed to do criminal background check from RCMP, & it’s not only government jobs that require this.

Another angle- PRs can now join Canadian Armed Forces if qualified. There’s no condition of ‘pending security clearance from home country in the requirements’ before they can be employed. I imagine CAF should have stricter security concerns. Just saying.

Cheers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Llaye: 4:21am On Dec 12, 2023
#gbam! Finally I found someone.

Just wanted to know if to redirect my efforts in this job search. Thank you, I'll continue my applications.
Merci

AyabaS:

Don’t let anyone discourage you please. I am a PR, I I haven’t been in Canada for up to 3 years and I’ve been working with the FG for over 2 years. When it was time for security clearance, I didn’t have to do anything other than fill a form. It took about 2 months for my clearance to be issued, it wasn’t a big deal at all.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MayorOfEdmonton: 3:10pm On Dec 12, 2023
But baba shey you know say LMIA visa is employer specific AKA Closed Work Permit, so the only way he will likely find if the work conditions are unfavourable is back to Nigeria.
That’s why minimum wage LMIA offers is not advisable cos the person will likely be stuck at min wage for years before you can get enough experience to transition to PR if the work experience n education will even qualify the person for EE. #JustSaying

aestake:

Come first if it is not real or not favorable, you find your way. There are frauds here, people! There is slavery too!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 3:31pm On Dec 12, 2023
MayorOfEdmonton:
But baba shey you know say LMIA visa is employer specific AKA Closed Work Permit, so the only way he will likely find if the work conditions are unfavourable is back to Nigeria.
That’s why minimum wage LMIA offers is not advisable cos the person will likely be stuck at min wage for years before you can get enough experience to transition to PR if the work experience n education will even qualify the person for EE. #JustSaying

I was managing his expectations. You know our people, before I am tagged an enemy of progress.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MayorOfEdmonton: 4:24pm On Dec 12, 2023
😁😁😂
aestake:

I was managing his expectations. You know our people, before I am tagged an enemy of progress.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Voltron007(m): 12:02am On Dec 13, 2023
Been awhile.

Vaughan.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Voltron007(m): 1:09am On Dec 13, 2023
Yomzy08:
Hello guys, I just got a job with LMIA in Canada at 17Cad per hour with accommodation for the first 3 months, please is 17Cad enough to get an average life in Canada?
Provided it’s not scam. Grab it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afolavid: 6:11am On Dec 13, 2023
About 2 months ago, I embarked on the longest road trip in my life, it was a Solo trip (Alone!). I drove from Eastern Canada to the West Coast via the Trans Canada Highway. This trip is over 5000km and it's 3days if you drive nonstop (takes a week with normal driving), this is about the distance from Nigeria to U.K, the amazing part.? I did it in 3 days - fastest ever possible!!!

On one of those days, I drove for over 15hours in the 24hours I had to myself. The Mind-blowing part is, I was physically present in 4 provinces in a single day (Manitoba > Saskatchewan > Alberta > British Columbia) and I changed timezones three times on that day while driving. I learnt a lot on this trip, I saw the vastness of this amazing country and I realized I'm actually tougher than I used to think.

I had an encounter with a Black bear on the 3rd day. Too many gist, too many videos, too many pics, It's overwhelming! The trip is daring and dangerous especially for a lone driver and it feels endless. Would I do it again? Most likely!

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TPProjectMngr(m): 6:12am On Dec 13, 2023
Icesnow:
Pls is it a good course to study in canada?

It is a good career to pursue. If you meant study in school, that’s a different conversation. If you are job ready and equipped with the necessary information on how to navigate the PM career path, then you have made a good choice for yourself.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 6:19am On Dec 13, 2023
Afolavid:
About 2 months ago, I embarked on the longest road trip in my life, it was a Solo trip (Alone!). I drove from Eastern Canada to the West Coast via the Trans Canada Highway. This trip is over 5000km and it's 3days if you drive nonstop (takes a week with normal driving), this is about the distance from Nigeria to U.K, the amazing part.? I did it in 3 days - fastest ever possible!!!

On one of those days, I drove for over 15hours in the 24hours I had to myself. The Mind-blowing part is, I was physically present in 4 provinces in a single day (Manitoba > Saskatchewan > Alberta > British Columbia) and I changed timezones three times on that day while driving. I learnt a lot on this trip, I saw the vastness of this amazing country and I realized I'm actually tougher than I used to think.

I had an encounter with a Black bear on the 3rd day. Too many gist, too many videos, too many pics, It's overwhelming! The trip is daring and dangerous especially for a lone driver and it feels endless. Would I do it again? Most likely!
You should have made a video and put it on YouTube. This is the kind of thing for the ages!

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afolavid: 6:19am On Dec 13, 2023
It's very funny how the temperature keeps dropping as I move from East to West, and it suddenly went up immediately I entered BC. It was -5°C in Brandon,MB and -15°C in Moose Jaw (3rd Pic) Saskatchewan was iced up, Medicine Hat and Calgary were in between then immediately I entered Golden, BC the temperature became normal, about 8°C. Thanks to the mountains!!! I literally experienced and understood firsthand, why most parts of BC has the warmest weather in Canada.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afolavid: 6:54am On Dec 13, 2023
NuCypher:

You should have made a video and put it on YouTube. This is the kind of thing for the ages!

Thanks. Yeah I agree... Funny enough, I have a YT channel but I was the only one so my videos were portrait and short cuz I was driving, might as well put them together like that and post sha

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by castrokins(m): 12:27pm On Dec 13, 2023
Just Wanna Ask, Sir, At Age 38, 39 By January 1st, How's My Chance To Move To Canada?

Afolavid:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Llaye: 6:22pm On Dec 13, 2023
oh this sounds very interesting!! alone?!

Why did you do it so quickly though? I'm thinking going slower will give you more time to enjoy the sights

Afolavid:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by onegig(m): 6:31pm On Dec 13, 2023
Afolavid:

Wow. You must be a strong willed person to do it when it was almost winter. Done some stretch of that road late summer and it was blissful.

The best part of that drive is the Northern Ontario end and BC Mountains. It's fun but also crazily scary especially at dusk and dawn with all those crazy Moose in Northern Ontario and the windy, steep and curvy roads. Hundreds of beautiful lakes around these area.

Sas,MB and Alberta are just wastelands. grin You would almost sleep off on the steering wheel once you enter Manitoba. Just straight road with nothing left and right.

Your best bet to capture videos would have been Dashcams. Well done. Not easy. 5km in 3 days is crazy.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by id4sho(m): 7:32pm On Dec 13, 2023
Afolavid:

Interesting, what type of vehicle? Highest speed? Single or you had company? How was the traffic? Did you have any mechanical fault?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jimikata(m): 12:06am On Dec 14, 2023
Hello guys..
Please, I have a few questions bothering me. First, would it be required to have visa when transiting Frankfurt on the way to Nigeria and London on returning to Canada ?
And, can I travel to Nigeria and back to Canada with about two months remaining on both study permit and visa? Hope there won't be any issues with immigration?
Kindly advice please.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gideon19: 12:15am On Dec 14, 2023
Greetings all, pls I will like to confirm the docs to get handy and the questions to expect at Toronto POE with a SP, SOWP and Visistors VISA for children.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afolavid: 2:48am On Dec 14, 2023
Llaye:
oh this sounds very interesting!! alone?!

Why did you do it so quickly though? I'm thinking going slower will give you more time to enjoy the sights

Trust me, it was interesting but would have been more fun if it was done with family or friends. Did it all alone.

Yeah, going slower would make me enjoy the sight and have more fun but I moved because of work (a project) and it was going to start in less than a week, having wasted enough time in Ontario, I had to push my gas... I'll be doing the return trip in a few months, I'd do that at a much slower pace 😄

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dialinn: 3:46am On Dec 14, 2023
Apartment available immediately for rent.
* Rent is plus utilities except water & sewer
* Midwood Avenue, Saint John, NB Canada E2P
This is a decent 2-bedroom apartment on the east side of Saint John. It is very close to the refinery, NBCC and other relevant outlets. It is move-in ready and has ample space for parking and storage. Reach out if interested or know somebody who is. Thank you.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Icesnow(f): 6:47am On Dec 14, 2023
TPProjectMngr:

It is a good career to pursue. If you meant study in school, that’s a different conversation. If you are job ready and equipped with the necessary information on how to navigate the PM career path, then you have made a good choice for yourself.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (690) (691) (692) (693) (694) (695) (696) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.